Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
2.05/5  rDev +14.5%

Before anyone begins reading this review I want them to know that I am grading it compared to other beers of the same style.

A: Very clear, yellow with an egg-white colored head. No "Best-By" date present.

S: Not a whole lot of aroma hear. Mostly corn and ethanol. Smells like semi-fermented beer.

T: This beer has a crisp, thirst quenching aspect to it. No real flavor at all. almost like beer flavored water. A nice warming note is left by the alcohol that is left out in the open with no flavor to mask it.

M: Very light in the mouth. Feels like slick water. No residue left in the mouth.

D: This is the definition of a session beer. Light, goes down easy, and won't normally give you a hangover unless you really deserve one. If you are looking for a flavorful beer, don't look here.

Avagadro, Dec 21, 2006
1.13/5  rDev -36.9%

Pour out a clear/pale yellow. Highly carbonated. No head. Smells like corn. Tastes like very bitter ( not a good bitter, either) corn, maltand water.
Mouthfeel is very thin and very watery. It really leaves a bad aftertaste, too. Not really drinkable,at all.

zeff80, Nov 25, 2006
1.85/5  rDev +3.4%

Keystone the infamous light lager. It pours with a fluffy white head, which falls quickly. Smell is of light citrus and earthy/grainy malt notes. Not too offensive. Taste is watery of course. Sweet malt upfront, with a sour metallic aftertaste.

Just a mediocre macro beer.

HoustonTX, Nov 23, 2006
1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

Presentation: 12 oz can with no freshness date.

Appearance: A little head with absolutely no retention, with a very pale yellow color.

Smell: A clean smelling brew with little aroma but hints of corn and grain.

Taste: Little malt flavor with a bitter taste to the palate that also has hints of grain and corn. The finish was quite metallic.

Mouth-Feel: A slick and smooth mouth with a dry finish.

Drink-Ability: Ya Right, there’s no way. This one is going into my “DON’T EVER DRINK AGAIN” pile!

mnesporov, Nov 22, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -3.4%

This beer is only good for alcoholics and for college students that want to get drunk.
S: nonexistent. Maybe slight grains, but mostly water.
T: tastes like water. There's no way it could fill me up..
M: horrible. Light carbonation, really just tastes like water with a little alcohol mixed in.
D: horrible. There's no way anyone can actually enjoy this one.

leechungsr, Nov 14, 2006
1.2/5  rDev -33%

Not much to be said about this really, pretty watery and tastes awful. The smell should pretty much discourage anyone from drinking this. The only upside is that it’s about 18 bucks for a 30 pack. This beer is only meant for college, specifically beer pong and other drinking games.

MaxxDaddy, Nov 09, 2006
2.33/5  rDev +30.2%

Pours a light, straw, golden color from 16 oz. specially lined can. Small foam head disappears quickly and no lacing remains. Mild carbonation, smell is almost nonexistent, some grainy aroma surfaces. Taste is crisp, mild grains, has a heavy feel and just about no aftertaste at all. After drinking this beer I'm never sure if I'd just had water or beer.

Overall I'd recommend this beer over coors light for the price because the taste is just about the same and 'Stone Light is much cheaper. The only other time I'd recommend it is when quantity drinking or maybe to someone who isn't really a beer fan.

Adamthome1, Nov 01, 2006
2.08/5  rDev +16.2%

No head, No smell, little taste. That about sums it up. Its good for those college parties when youve just finished finals on friday and headed home on sunday evening. I've had worse macros, and Key isnt offensive. It's just not good. No bitterness to by found at all. The only taste is a unidentifiable grain. Im guessing a mix of rice and corn, but i cant put my finger on it. I could easily finish the 30 rack on a saturday afternoon/evening. Only real purpose is to get drunk at a college party. (to be honest thats what i bought this one for; rugby championship/ halloween weekend)

Pinto21, Oct 31, 2006
1.43/5  rDev -20.1%

12 oz can from a 30 pack for about $14. Let me try to be constructive on this....

A: This really looks like piss. About 2" head that completely disappears in about 30 seconds. Sounds like a goddamn bowl of Rice Krispies with the carbonation popping.

S: What?

T: Some bubble gum and corn. Gets the 1.5 because it doesn't taste bad, just doesn't taste like anything really.

M: Water.

D: Depends on how you look at it. You can drink several (dozen) of these in a sitting. You probably won't want to finish the first one.

Good for tailgaiting, beer pong, and such, which still admittedly happens.

mjd83goblue, Oct 11, 2006
2.4/5  rDev +34.1%

Yeh, it's a college beer. In fact, my college (WIU) in Macomb is the number one distributor for Keystone.

This beer, just like naty light, is what I like to a call a "starter beer" for noob drinkers. Basically it just goes down like water and it's good for slammin. But with all the other starter beers, this easily is one of the more crappy one's. Why it is so huge at WIU I have no idea.

From when I first had it to now, I'd say the first beer takes like water with a dash of urine. The good thing about it is it's cheap, and if your in college, there's a great chance that it's not out-of-date beer.

Jimbo07, Sep 29, 2006
2.33/5  rDev +30.2%

Simple. This beer is primarily for parties and drinking games.

Why? Because it is cheap, dirty, and nobody really cares if you spill an entire can on the floor because you dont realize that you're holding it up-side-down after you dropped it and tried to play it cool and act like nothing happened. (you know who you are)

The beer is thin in: color, taste, head, all of the above. It is like yellow water with a touch of alcohol in it. There is no class in drinking this beer, but there are a lot of classes drinking it. $10 for a 30-rack... what of it?

Rudgers73, Sep 06, 2006
2.28/5  rDev +27.4%

Grabbed one of these out of my buddies fridge. I have no idea why he would buy this but I mine as well give it a shot.

Appearance: Poured into my pint glass a straw yellow with a thin white head, that if you blink will be gone.

Smell: Very "crisp" smell. Some corny like smells and I think maybe banana?

Taste: Watery with a kind of sweetness to it. A very crisp light beer. It has some similarities to Coors light but only because of the watery taste.

Mouthfeel: Easy drinking light lager that goes down smooth.

Drinkability: Very easy to put these back.

Overall for the price it's not terrible compared to other low priced lagers but I see no reason to buy this beer.

robocrouch, Aug 20, 2006
1.83/5  rDev +2.2%

12oz can

Keystone light is a very clear light straw colored beer. It had a white head for about 10 seconds. Barely and aroma at all. The taste was about the same as the aroma; not much there. This is petty much just a can of water with a little color and off-flavor added.

afinepilsner, Aug 11, 2006
1.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Yum, rejected Coors Light. You get what you pay for, and in my case that was nothing. A 'friend' offered one of these to me, I drank it because honestly there was nothing else available. Its a pale yellow, I wouldn't even call it "golden". Tastes a bit like beer flavored water. You know, like those fruit flavored waters, only with beer instead of fruit. It does go down easy though, especially if you have a cold or something and can no longer taste.

Alexmc2, Aug 05, 2006
1.63/5  rDev -8.9%

My neighbor usually drinks Yuengling Light Lager. I can handle that. but for some reason, earlier this evening he had Keystone Light. This is cheap light beer at its crappy finest IMHO. Eww. I really just didn't even want to drink it. There were subtle hint of malt but it seemed artificially dextrinous. Yes it is dry on the finish and there is a bitter character but I don't detect any hops, just the left over bitterness. Simply put; I don't recommend it, even if you are looking for a light beer there are better available.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jul 22, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +116.8%

Ah, my favorite American uber-cheap macro. Kroger in Knoxville has had this on sale for $4.99 per 12 pack forever now, and let me be perfectly clear - I'm rating this in terms of beers it may compete with, basically anything in the price range, reaching up to the standard macro-brews (Bud/L, Miller Lite, Coors/L).

Appearance: Ok look, nothing in the price range or reaching to ~$5 per 6 pack has a compelling appearance. This beer is ultra pale in color. It will pour a huge head if you demand it (pour hard), and it diminishes rather quickly (like all beers of the type), although freshness seems to play a role.

Smell: Ultra light American lager. Others have noted "banana" when smelling Keystone branded beers. I don't disagree, but that element is sort of at the fringe of the character.

Taste: Very light, fizzy, corn, a touch of buttery malt. What are hops? Heh. In my opinion, compared to the top of the category of comparison (Bud, Miller, Coors), this beer *may* offer less substance, but it's not like anyone truly enjoys the 'substance' of those 3 anyway, therefore not too many points are lost in comparison. This beer is not at all offensive, and that's why you buy it.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, compact, pleasing. This beer is the easiest to simply down I've ever experienced in the category. I was recently in England for over a month, and no beer in the states holds a candle to the drinkability of an English cask ale, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

I like this beer because:
1) It's ultra cheap where I live (4.99 for 12, 9.99 for 24)
2) It's extremely easy to drink, and the flavor, while not as distinctive as the "top of class Bud/Coors/Miller," is basically equivalent.
3) It's *not* strong. That may seem like the wrong thing to say, but because it's a weak beer (they claim 4.2%, but I don't buy it), I can drink it for hours and not be afraid of waking up the next morning.
4) I can even polish off a 12 pack and function the next day.

So put it in perspective. It's not like this beer is *good*, but when looking at the cheap end of the isle, I don't really look at anything else except PBR. Or maybe Stroh's.

Captainpabst, Jun 29, 2006
2.3/5  rDev +28.5%

Appearance - Light gold color. Short-lived fizzy white head Disappates to virtually nothing - not even a thin film. Sparkley, like champagne. Pretty unappetising.

Smell - Pretty standard light macro malt smell.

Taste - Watery. Indistinct. Very mild, sweet macro flavor. Not off-putting, but nothing to distinguish this from a dozen other beers.

Mouthfeel - Pretty watery, even for a light. More like a sparkling water than a beer.

Drinkability - Might not be a bad replacement for water on a hot day. No real character to speak of. Relatively low price.

scaliasux, Jun 06, 2006
1.68/5  rDev -6.1%

Yuck...why am I drinking this? Oh yeah, because it's in my fridge and I'm half in the can from the delicious Ubu I just finished and don't want to waste any good beer when I'm ready to go to sleep as it is. What can I say about Keystone Light? Maybe if we added an "assfeel" category to beer reviews it would be a more accurate review. Let's just say this beer sucks, on the way down, and on the way out. (pleas note: this is left over from a camping trip and did not end up in my fridge willingly).

number1bum, May 26, 2006
1.18/5  rDev -34.1%

Keystone Light pours a pale straw color with a fluffy white head from a sixteen ounce can. There is very little aroma, no off smells, but not much of anything really. Wow, this tastes bad, really bad, worse than I expected, I was just thinking it would be typical macro swill with a watered down flavor. This is just plain bad. Avoid!!!

Drew966, May 15, 2006
2.85/5  rDev +59.2%

The first thing I noticed about this beer was the fact that it has absolutely no head whatsoever. It looks like yellow water, and tasts similar to that effect. However, I rather enjoy this beer due to its price point and the fact that contrary to popular belief it has just as much alcohol as coors/bud/miller light so that's not where the price relief comes from. The mouthfeel of this beer is... different. Very empty feeling, not much to discuss there. The smell is non-existent, seriously. No smell. Taste is pretty decent for something of this price, and I can imagine stocking my fridge with it for a good cheap "want a beer" type of beer, but my heart still lies with Nimbus Monkeyshine. But this beer brings me back to that first year of college... mmmm college party beer.

uabigdaz, May 08, 2006
1.2/5  rDev -33%

If too much water is added while making the Silver Bullet, Coors must put that swill into a Keystone Light can. Carbonated water at best. I gave drinkability a 2.0 only because I have had worse. I had to give appearance and taste a 1.0 because the B.A. site doesn't have any zeros. And when I say zero I mean it! This has absolutely no color or smell. This is basically a mineral water. Thank God that my sampling came in an aluminum can. The can added some flavor. No hop, barley or malt whatsoever. When will society come to it's senses and stop the insanity! To spend even one penny of your hard earned money on this crap, which in turn helps finance one of the Big Three, is truly senseless.

cro250klr, Apr 25, 2006
1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

This is basically coor's light, but a little bit lighter. Most people can't tell the difference if you try to get them to differentiate. This beer is water. I think people only drink it because it's cheap. I had a girl try my miller then her keystone and she was like mine tastes all diluted. If you are playing a drinking game that will require you to drink a crap load of beer, then keystone would be a good pick. It's very easy to chug because it's basically just water. This beer also has NO color whatsoever. A very fainy smell as well. Don't order this beer if you are in the mood to just have a beer with a meal. This is a drinking game/save money on beer type beer. If you are looking only to save money though, I'd go with other beers. There are even cheaper beers that taste even better than keystone.

jasonjlewis, Apr 11, 2006
1.58/5  rDev -11.7%

We had a nickname for Keystone Light in high school: 'backpack beer.' Why? Because we weren't supposed to have it, but if someone did get it, it remained hidden in someone's backpack, no matter how warm it got.

Keystone Light has a single purpose: a cheap beer that a lot of people can drink. I could never recommend this beer, because it's like a 'Bud Light Light.' It's watery and has a bit of a stink that is unfortunate. I avoided Keystone Ice for years, because I was afraid it was going to be a darker-Keystone Light.

'Avoid' is certainly the proper rating for this beer.

dubman003, Apr 11, 2006
3.35/5  rDev +87.2%

Not great, but not bad either. Good if you want to drink and not get full. Better than Bud Light in taste, but it does fall short of something great.

Cheap beer, 30 pack cans here are $10.99. While I would not order this at a bar with dinner, it is good to drink when you have friend over playing XBox 360.

TeutonicKnight, Apr 07, 2006
1.68/5  rDev -6.1%

The only reason to buy this beer is if you are a poor college student looking to imbibe mass quantities of beer, which I am. Obviously, this beer warrants no comparisons to any quality craft brew. It's probably the cheapest beers available, available at my local package store for $13 for a 30 pack. You're not supposed to taste this beer, you're supposed to drink it as fast as you can. Avoid tasting it at all costs, because what little flavor this beer posesses is not a very agreeable taste. If you're just looking to get drunk and are on a budget, this is the beer for you. On a side note, this is the only beer that has induced me to vomit.

facedogg, Mar 13, 2006