Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
1.68/5  rDev -6.1%

All good college students know about Keystone Light. This is the one that the bartender that gave it to me termed "study beer". Studying what? because drinking this would break my concentration.

I think that it got the name because they offered it at $3.00 a pitcher. It pours a pale yellow with a slight fizz for head. The taste? It had taste? You might as well have drank water. It sorta goes with BBQ but I can come up with about 10 other ones that would be better.

So, if there was nothing else, it won't kill you. Otherwise, I'd pass.

sweetwaterman, Jan 29, 2005
1.6/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I drank this yesterday, and I took notes. Maybe if I were drinking it now, after having my palete wonderfully raped by Alpha King, it would be alright, but after a horrible 2 days with alcohol this was NOT a good beer.

Sour hops and water. Nothing else. Poured like water, smelled like water (with just a hint of grain), tasted like water and urine with a little bit of foul, sour hops.

This is the beer that people who live on the street drink. Come on. You're better than that.

mynie, Dec 25, 2004
2.45/5  rDev +36.9%

Left behind in a cooler by my father-in-law as he drove away in his new/used Lexus. Guess he's too high falootin' to drink this anymore. Maybe I shouldn't either, it will ruin too many good memories.

Appearance: Very pale straw color, lighter than most macros. Plenty of carbonation. No head, therefore no head retention or lacing.

Smell: There is virtually nothing. Slight sweetness to it though.

Taste: Off flavored water. But hey, it's not bitter! Oddly enough, I don't get that odd metallic taste I sometimes do when drinking a beer from a can. Is it that specially lined can thing working?

Mouthfeel: Light and watery.

Drinkabilty: Gotta give it props, you can pound these away on a given night.

Final Thoughts: I remember two of this beer's commercials.
"Tastes like beer from a bottle because of the specially lined can". And who could forget the "Bitter beer face!" comercials. (I could be wrong, but isn't bitterness in some beers a good thing?) One of the premier beers in my college days (and up until about two years ago). You could regularly find 30 'Stones for 10 bones here in Lincoln. Now I guess they think they're more premium because it usually goes for aroung $13, and a good deal is when someone has it on sale for $12. I can remember buying a 30 or two on Friday, and having it last all weekend (could not buy beer on Sundays back then). College is great, especialy in the fall. Sitting around all day Saturday drinking, watching football on TV, playing video games, ordering pizza so you don't have to get cleaned up to go out. Sobering up enough Sunday afternoon to do homework while watching more football. I'm glad I took 7 years to graduate.

BigRedN, Dec 22, 2004
2.48/5  rDev +38.5%

Light it is, from the look to the front of the taste and all through the finish.

This beer sits as a pale yellow color. I didn't get an ounce of head or lace, and carbonation is minimal. If there is any character at all in this beer, it's in the front of the taste. There's almost a hint of spice but nothing too special.

I was surprised that no aspect of this beer really turned me away, but there's nothing too good either.

watermelonman, Sep 24, 2004
2.48/5  rDev +38.5%

This beer has drawn many comparisons to Coors Light and they aren't far fetched considering the similarity in taste and the fact that both beers are brewed by the same brewing company.

Taste is like water, goes down real quick, hard to believe you could get drunk off this stuff. Harmless drink overall, can't find it in a bottle. I've only found it in a can, not even on tap, not that it matters because no real drinker would ever drink this often. Only for the poor college kid like myself , at 12 bucks a thirty pack it does the job but there are far better beers for only a buck more.

TheDeuce, Sep 22, 2004
1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

Appearance: Yellow with a green tint. No head.
Smell: Pretty gross adjunct heavy smell.
Taste: Watery but crisp. Cooked corn notes. It makes my stomach turn.
Mouthfeel: Crisper than other cheap beers.
Drinkability: No one in his right mind should buy this filth. There are better beers for the money.

jvajda, Sep 14, 2004
2.03/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have a bunch of these left over from a camping trip so I thought I'd have a laugh and review it.

Creamy white head that evaporates instantly leaving no lacing at all. The palest of pale straw colors. Very close to water in appearance with a tint of straw.

Rather odorless with some floral hints.

A light citrus flavor at first that leads to the usual corn, rice, and grain feel of other light lagers. No further flavors; maybe this is water. There's no painful aftertaste that can be detected in other versions of the style due to how close to water this beer actually tastes.

Very light on the palate with tons of carbonation present. Very grainy on the palate due to the adjuncts used.

Obviously this is one you 'could' pound since it's so light and tasteless, but my tastebuds are screaming at me to pour this one down the drain and grab something with flavor.

For what it is and who it's marketed for, it could be worse. For me, I'd rather drink ocean water. At least ocean water's got some flavor to it.

NEhophead, Sep 01, 2004
1.25/5  rDev -30.2%

My broke-ass buddy went out and bought a six pack of this shit, so i bummed one off him to actually try to taste and review it.
The beer pours clear out of the can, forming an eerie, almost day-glo yellow colored liquid, topped with a frothy white head. It looks sort of toxic. Maybe i just haven't had beer this pale in a long time.
Aroma is sugar and rice. Sugary sweet. A meek, bready grain that could be rice. Maybe a hint of corn. Disgusting.
Flavor is...well, I was actually expecting something, maybe a ricey flavor, or perhaps a little hops. There honestly is no flavor whatsoever. It tastes exactly like seltzer water. I seriously had a hard time drinking this, because of the serious bitter water taste, without any pleasant hop bitterness or malt. I don't think they use malt in this "beer". As it warms up, you get a hint of sugar and corn, which was actually a welcome change. There's actually a touch of green apple tartness somewhere beneath the huge carbonation. I think that's a sign of the bottom of the ladder in quality. Body on this beer was, if I may guess, a 0.098 final gravity. I think it may actually be lighter than water. Carbonation is very high and very forced, I think I'd prefer this flat. I can't believe I drank this crap. It's honestly the worst beer I've ever had, if you can call it beer.

UnionMade, Aug 19, 2004
2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

not overly impressed with this beer, again as usual more taste than bud light but not great by any strech.not good but there is worse out there, smells and looks bad, tastes ok, maybe compareable to busch, try to avoid this if better beer is available

twi1609372, Aug 17, 2004
2.93/5  rDev +63.7%

This is a very watered down tasting beer with high carbonation. The alcohol content seems low as I seem to always put away more than half the 30 pack with somewhat ease. I mainly purchased this due to the price, $9.95 for a 30 pack. It has gone up since a few dollars which keeps me away. There really isn't much difference than this and Coors. I had a few "skunked" keystone lights and they actually had some characteristics mixed with added aluminum flavor. If you drink this beer enough you begin to pick up hints of banana hiding behind all the carbonation. A very easy beer to drink largs amounts of when you are in college. Priced correctly as well.

dren, Aug 16, 2004
1.55/5  rDev -13.4%

While this beer is rather pedestrian in appearance, upon scientific inspection, it was concluded that it in fact has more color and carbonation than Coors light. Not that it has much, by any means. The smell is kind of strange, with a hint of sharp cheddar cheese and bubble gum mixed in with the metallic flavors that compliment the rice and malt. Theres no flavor to it, but granted that some beers actually make me perform what professional eaters refer to as the "Reversal of Fortune," its better than some. Mouthfeel is thinner than water, somehow, and the carbonation is very basic. I rank it above coors light, but was not impressed. But cheers, and heres to small beer budgets on the 4th of july.

FranklinPCombs, Jul 04, 2004

a typical college party beer. I've had stones many times, and each time i get the same feeling, why am i drinking this crap? It has a feel about as light as mgd light in my opinion, and a taste about as bad as a skunky, watered down coors light. with the bad taste, and lack of carbonation, i suppose the only upside is around here you can get a 24 pack for 8 dollers. if i get this desperate, i'm going to go with mad dog 20/20 again. at least it's a bit cheaper...

thydarkprevails, Jun 15, 2004
1.5/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow, this is crap. Piss yellow, white head, QUICKlY dissipates to NO HEAD, not even a bubble! No aroma (maybe a little corn), no taste,no malt,no hops. Obviously not much going on here, except a pure waste of decent water, aluminium etc etc. I truly would rather drink seltzer. Dont support Coors, dont buy this stuff. I took a can out of a cooler at a neighborhood picnic a few weeks back, just for beer research purposes....

Billolick, May 28, 2004
3.3/5  rDev +84.4%

Keystone Light is about has watered down a beer has you'll ever find. No head, next to no taste, but then again this isn't meant to be a beer for a fine meal. It's a beer-pong beer, and unlike Beast it doesn't become undrinkable has it warms. So if you can, drop an extra buck on a case of Keystone and you'll have a lot less people hugging the toilet at your parties.

cptnjck101, Apr 29, 2004
2.4/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The only reason this beer is drinkable is because its refreshing and thats why i kinda like it. Its pale yellow like most light beers but its definately better than its older brother coors light. Not much taste but hints of rice, and some malt yet almost no hop bitterness at all.

JoEBoBpr, Apr 14, 2004
1.8/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

I need some more reviews to get my mug, so I'm reviewing good old keystone light. Served to myself in a pint glass from the kegerator in my living room. Pale yellow with lots of fizz (oops, better turn the CO2 down). The "head" that was there is gone within 30 seconds. The smell is very thin, almost not there. I guess it smells like cheap adjunct, mostly rice. The taste is poor but not horrible. It is very thin, very watery and has an unexpected sweetness. I used to laugh at the commercials with the bitter beer face guy. Now they just make me shake my head. No hops whatsoever. Made for drunks and college students, of which I am both on occasion. Really though, who's gonna buy this to enjoy?

99bottles, Mar 31, 2004
1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

When one thinks of a cheap beer, Keystone Light is one of the first that comes to mind. It really has no true redeaming qualities about it, and as far as I'm concerned shouldn't be classified as a beer.
Poured from a can, it is a crystal clear yellow colour with a soda-like corbonation effect going on. With a total lack of a head, one can see why this beer is sold at such a low price.
The lack of head made it very difficult to take in any aroma what-so-ever. But, there was a faint, very faint scent of sweet corn. I wasn't surprised, I figured it would be made up almost entirly of adjuncts, anyway.
I tipped the glass back and took in some of the "beer". It had almost no taste at all. Mostly metalic with subtle hints of sweet corn and there the slightesy bit of malt. No hops anywhere to be tasted. It had a feel of ginger ale. Way over ther top with the carbonation.
Coors, who really have no integrity when it comes to brewing anyway, should really be ashamed of themselves with this product. There is a total lack of imagination and a lack of pride in every can. In my oppinion, Keystone Light should be boycotted by all. It is a complete and utter act of disrespect to the beer drinking community and a mockery to the intellegence of its patrons.

CBFanWish, Mar 07, 2004
1.95/5  rDev +8.9%

No redeeming characteristics. I mean NONE. Pours a piss yellow color. Smell is…crisp? Clean? Nothing defining. One of the blandest tasting beers I’ve ever had. Gave it a 1.5 because it doesn’t actually taste foul, it just tastes like nothing. No hops, no malt, just alcoholic seltzer water. Drinkability is average, because it is quite drinkable. Then again, so is water. Gotta love hating light beers.

RocketWidget, Feb 03, 2004
2.2/5  rDev +22.9%

A beer similiar to Coors lite. No taste no smell no nothing. It's yellow in appearance and you can literally throw it down. Not a beer that you sit back and enjoy...just throw it down, that's what it's made for. We all slam these kind of beers but...some beers are for quality and others quantity.

Guys just try it and enjoy it for the beer it is.

Cheers

JAL67, Jan 24, 2004

Although the first time I had this beer was when I was playing beer pong, I decided not to write a review until I was able to drink this when i was completely sober. Keystone is pretty good for a light beer, I like it much better then its sister light beer, the Coors Light. Its slightly watered down, but not as watered Natural Light or Busch Light. A decent overall domesticated light beer.

Rootdog316, Jan 23, 2004
1.63/5  rDev -8.9%

What can I say about this beer that hasn't been said? not much. To make this review legit here's the breakdown: very pale, no head retention, weak champagne smell, no real beer flavor, no cheap adjuncty American beer flavor either, watery as Hell, finishes bland and sweet. Bah. It's a nice carbonated water product, but beer it is NOT.

BTW, I am drinking the watered down Okie version which can not be more than 4.0% abv/3.2 by weight.

EagleTalon, Jan 03, 2004
1.55/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

It really is more than a 1.5 drinkability factor, but I couldn't bring myself to give any more credit for this flavorless shit. It pours a pale straw. The fizzy head fizzles into oblivion, though a seltzery effervescence remains. The aroma is of damp socks...nothing else. This beer (?) is more bland and flavorless than Coors Light, and that's saying something. It has nothing, in the way of beer, going for it.

BeerResearcher, Aug 11, 2003
1.43/5  rDev -20.1%

I have to admit, the marketing was right, I didn't have a "bitter beer face". But then again, this isn't beer, and there's no such thing as a "bitter water face". Is there? I can't believe this is more expensive than any beer. It seems as if there's nothing in it at all.

granger10, Jul 26, 2003
2.45/5  rDev +36.9%

If you're looking for a light beer with reduced calories, this one fits the bill with just 104 calories, 5 grams of carbs, .7 grams of protein and 0 fat. It pours a crystal-clear light-gold body and a good-sized head of bright-white foam that vanishes almost immediately. Only a thread of a collar is left behind and, as might be expected, it leaves no lace. A generic beer aroma with a bit of yeasty sulphur greets you as you raise the glass - or specially lined can ;) - to your lips. The body is light and crisp with a fine, median level of carbonation that gives a bit of a tingle in the mouth. The flavor displays a quick note of sweet, adjunct laden malt before drying at mid-palate. It finishes dry with a light wash of alcohol and leaves just a thin film of sweetness in the mouth. It's a pretty vacant beer, but that's to be expected for the style. It's incredibly easy to drink - almost like a can of seltzer - but what's the point? There are more satisfying light beers available.

NeroFiddled, Jul 24, 2003
1.98/5  rDev +10.6%

I bought a case of Stones for a (non-beer drinking) friend, and was ashamed to take it out to my car. Nevertheless, I took home a can to review. It poured an extremely pale yellow color, with a really strange, artificial, loud soda-like fizziness. The small head disappeared to absolutely nothing but a dime-size pile of suds on the top of the beer. There was a faint scent of malt, I think, but it had virtually no smell. A faint malt taste was present, but the expected generic watewred down flavor was present. Never bitter because there's no hops! Or taste, really. Barely palatable, Keystone Light should only be consumed in emergencies or to avoid being rude while at a friend's place. Yuck.

SchmichaelJ, Jun 23, 2003