Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,812 | Reviews: 482
1.98/5  rDev +10.6%

This probably doesn't really deserve a review, but I thought I'd do one anyhow. I've heard rumors it is essentially Coors Light and it tastes pretty much the same. Got some sitting at the back of the fridge so it's review time.

Appearance (2) - Re-review. in the can, updated and poured for appearance. Fluffy white two finger head that recedes like a mudslide. Pale hay colored appearance, transparent as water. Read your Kindle through it, Keystone doesn't mind!

Smell (1.5) - canned corn. mildewy grains. fried egg. tin. hint of lemon lime soda.

Taste/Flavor (1.5) - Pretty much awful but the drinkability saves it from completely tanking, so I'll give it that. I get musty corn, tin, cardboard, and a residual grainy sweetness on the finish. (Later, with peanut butter, it tastes like Olive juice. So weird.)

Mouthfeel/Drinkability (3.5) - "Always Smooth". The carbonation is wrapped in an easy drinking smoothness. Super watery, though. Can't say any more or less than that. Pound a few without regret.

Overall (2.12) - It may be the worst beer in my fridge but it's not the worst beer of all time. It gets a pretty bad rep but it has a few redeeming qualities. For a light beer it drinks smooth. It's not tasty, but I'll take that lack of taste over some of the over-hopped IPA "crafts" I've had.I think I bought this 12 pack of cans for around $8 if I remember right. If anything, the price is right. So you've got price and drink-ability as the positives, with pretty much everything else weighing it down. If Keystone Light is for you, rock it. But don't stop here. To do so would be a grave injustice.

3.69/5  rDev +106.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 5

Appearance
Three fingers thick head that dissipates rapidly. There is no lacing. The body is very clear. It is a light golden, yellowish color. It looks watery. Very active carbonation.

Smell
Mild. Clean. Faintly malty.

Taste
Mild. Clean. Faintly malty. Extremely refreshing and drinkable. Hops are hard to detect. However the beer is well balanced. Not overly sweet or dry. Just mild and clean.

Mouthfeel
Goes down so easy it's crazy. Watery. Refreshing. Lots of carbonation.

Overall
The perfect chuggable light beer. This has got to be the smoothest, easiest to drink beer out there. It is also one of the cheapest. It is not harsh in anyway at all. It is the easiest of easy drinking beers. Keystone Light is the quintessential cheap light beer. If you want a cheap easy drinking light beer then this is the ultimate of that type. Enjoy.

2.75/5  rDev +53.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer was ok for a cheap beer. You could tell that it was a cheap beer when drinking it. I have had a lot worse cheap beers, so compaired to some that I have had this one was ok. If you do not want to spend a lot of money on beer then this is the beer for you.

There's a reason only college kids drink this stuff.

4.57/5  rDev +155.3%

Initial thought: Incredible. Delicious is the first word that comes to mind. Drinkability, ya know like chug-ability. The ability to chug. Fountain of youth type hydration. Relinquishes thirst like a common niagara fall in a can.

A-Caramel apple jesus piss type color. Sort of like the red sea turns keystone type feel.

S-Smells like the first breath of fresh unraped oxygen when you get out of a state penitentiary.

T-Fresh squeezed god nectar from the garden of eden. The snake really was too drunk to pick out the right tree and picked a stupid apple instead of a fresh delicious keystone light.

M-Wide mouth for extra drinkability like a virgin blowjob with a drop-jaw which eventually turns into a lock-jaw am I right woop woop hell yeah yum yum keystone 4 the win.

O-Damn good.

1.66/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: light straw yellow, not appealing looking
Aroma: Doesn't really have any distinct smells. hints of the grains
Taste: Pretty smooth with lack in taste. There is a slight hint of lemon though giving off a somewhat sour taste.

Serving type: can

For a man of both macro and craft, this is my personal favorite macro American light. I poured it from the can into my trusty drinking boot for this review.
The appearance is light gold and very transparent, as with most brews of this style. Decent sized head, too.
Not much of an aroma here, so I can't honestly say its offensive to me. Nor can I say its the most amazing scent I've ever experienced, thus the 3 rating.
The mouthfeel is very light and crisp with virtually no lingering elements. This is expected with light American adjuncts, so I certainly wasn't disappointed.
The taste is very,very slightly more hoppy and noticeable than Coor's Light-the "main" light brew of the company. Another reason why I go for this when the occasion calls for it.
If I'm low on funds and just want something light, Keystone Light is my personal choice. For under $20 here in northeast Ohio, I really dig that price when I'm in a light beer mood. As I've said in my Budweiser review, while I venture out into more exciting territories in the world of craft brew, I have the old standby. This just so happens to be my light standby.

3.34/5  rDev +86.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Keystone Light is a brew made by Coors. Pours a light yellow color. With a small white head. The cam says always smooth and I will give it that. This brew is smooth. There is nothing bad about this brew. In my opinion this brew is better than Coors Light, this beer has more to it. I would get this over Coors light any day.

3.4/5  rDev +89.9%

Do I really need to explain the reason that this sweet nectar is divinely inspired? Sometimes people forget about the Big Blue can or its angelic cousin, Keystone bottles. I for one have not forgotten my muse.

Make no mistake, when I walk in and order a Keystone bottle it makes people sit up. Because those of us that know about this elusive treasure are part of a small but informed group. Not only does it make a statement in my hands, it makes a statement on my lips. Drinking it is like floating on clouds surrounded by softly purring kittens. It doesn't slap you in the face with gluttonous flavor or a greedy hue. No, it caresses your soul.

I read some of the reviews on here and yes, I acknowledge, plebes, that it is a common creation when dissected. Its smell, appearance and taste don't overwhelm you when inspected individually. Yes, it's average in any single category. But by distilling this down to its parts, you are missing the magnificence. In this case, the sum is greater than its parts.

I've found salvation and it looks like a chilled Keystone Light.

2.94/5  rDev +64.2%

16 oz can poured into a pint glass

A: clear piss colored body( Im not saying this to be derogatory it really is the color of piss). Foamy white head that went away quickly.

S: Smells like cereal grains.

T: taste like water and cereal grains.

M: crisp and refreshing, just like water.

O: Its not bad, nothing makes it stand out from other AALs I prefer others more then this one though.

1.77/5  rDev -1.1%

By FAR the worst beer I have ever had. I drink cheap beer on a regular basis, so this is coming from a place of experience. The appearance and smell are not notable, but not the worst. It's pretty flat with a very small head. However, I was drinking it warm. Smell is like you'd expect for a cheap beer.

The taste was miserable, as was mouthfeel. I likened it to drinking an onion, and that may be generous. While the Steel Reserve I drank a few nights ago was almost undrinkable, Keystone is by far the worst beer I have ever had the displeasure of drinking. While Natty Light is not a good beer, it's better than this.

2.96/5  rDev +65.4%

Seen this before and always in cans. Sampled on 12/2/13. Bottled was chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a clear straw yellow with a very small white head. Some light spotty lacing was seen but not a lot. Above average carbonation as would be expected. The aroma with very weak and is just some grassy grains. The taste is about the same and pretty 'watery' as would be expected for this one. Has a slightly dry finish. Overall, it wasn't too bad for a cheaper brew.

4.5/5  rDev +151.4%

One of the best cheap beers on the market if your like me and enjoy tasteless watered down brew. You can't just drink one. Excellent on a hot day in the trailer park!

This tastes like watered down Coors Light.

A-gold with white head, doesn't last long

Smells like coors

2.97/5  rDev +65.9%

Drank this for a half a year as my go to beer. If you buy Coors Light over this you are an idiot and wasting your money it's nearly exactly the same. It's not like busch vs. bud where they use corn vs.rice, this is identical to coors light. That being said it's not remarkable and seems like it takes more keystone light to get me drunk than other lights at the same ABV

1.83/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a clear lighter straw color with a small white head of one finger height. The fizzy head fades very rapidly, leaving almost no lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is almost non-existent with only the lightest hints of some grain and a bit of corn.

Taste – The taste begins with a light grainy taste with some corn sweetness and a rather strange sour lemon flavor. The sour flavors grow stronger as the taste moves on with the sweeter and grainy flavors losing strength. A bit of a papery flavor joins the flavor at the end, leaving a somewhat drier and rather odd sour and papery taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is very light with a carbonation level that is on the higher side. Both are rather appropriate for the style and helps hide some of the off flavors a bit and makes it a somewhat more refreshing and easy drinking.

Overall – Nothing really good about it. Even for a light beer this one is a weak overall due to the sour and rather off flavors of the brew.

2.26/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Keystone Light is a one of the top solded in United States

Appearance : It very light yellow with a lot carbonation

smell: some grains and little bit malt

taste: It has little bit of con flavor and grains to it. It is flavorless, flat, and somehow heavy despite being water down. It is not offensive is the best attribute of the beer.

Mouthfeel : It is highly carbonated.

Overall: Keystone light is not offensive. It has its place on college campus and with someone on budget. Keystone light worth the money saved on not buy higher e quality product like bud light , coor light or miller lite. Nope! The quality of coors light , bud light and miller lite way better then the cost saving of keystone light. I will not hate on keystone Light! It goes down smooth is what they say when it is watered down !

2.43/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is a typical economy-brand AAL. Not much going on with the beer. Inoffensive in the taste but there isn't really much for taste to begin with. It goes down smooth though and is cheap. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between this and regular Coors light. Since this is cheaper, I would probably go with this if your buying in this "style" of beer. Though, to be honest, even at these prices, its not really worth drinking in the first place.

1.82/5  rDev +1.7%

Well, this beer is cheap. for cheap beer it does have one good quality. It is pretty smooth. The marketing boys took about the only decent quality it has and markets the crap out of it. It is very liught yellow and very fizzy. it smells skunky and is pretty smooth going down.

1.66/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Closet aged. Poured from a can that "expired in January". We’ll see about that.

Pours a watery yellow with two fingers of white head that dies down instantly.

Smells like corn. Slight hints of grain. Actually not that bad a smell.

Taste is sweet, a bit sour/bitter, and almost medicinal. Watery as fuck.

Honestly, I prefer the closet aged over the cold stocked shelf beer any day.

1.74/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Served in a can at the Nag's Head in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of visible active carbonation and some medium + lemon yellow highlights. The beer has a sudsy one finger tall bright white head that reduces to a medium sized patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of corn, rice, and just a hint of grainy adjunct malts with a hint of grassy hops.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate vegetal malt flavor with corn featuring fairly strongly and some lighter hints of rice and grain - this beer is all adjunct malts. There is a hint of grassy hops and a light to moderate amount of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: Light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: While the appearance is spot on for the style, the aroma and the taste border on the slightly offensive. This is not a very enjoyable beer to drink (slightly over carbonated) and definitely not one that I would grab again - or have another during a session. I actually remember this being slightly better from my college days but that was a long time ago and I likely had forgotten some of the badness. Also, just to note that the flavor actual gets worse as it warms up so I recommend drinking it extremely cold and quickly.

1.09/5  rDev -39.1%

Appearance - pours a very pale yellow with almost no head

Smell - cat piss, mold, wet feet

Taste - unbelievably horrible, has a sour milk taste with moldy grains adding to the chaos

Mouthfeel - too acidic and super high carbonation. Does not want me to ever take another sip

Overall - extremely cheap beer and the quality reflects that

1.94/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is a light clear straw yellow color. The fizzy white head recedes fast to a white ring around the glass. No lacing.

The beer smells very sweet. Faintly metallic. No ingredients stand out. Corn husk?

The taste is very sweet and metallic like the aroma. Very high carbonation.

The mouthfeel is watery, thin, and carbonated.

Overall, quite simply a beer that is hard to pick out any visible taste. It's sweet, watery, and metallic.

3.37/5  rDev +88.3%

Since I attend one of the biggest party schools in the country (Michigan State University), I figured I should pick up a pack of Stones; moreover, the tap water on campus will actually kill you, so in theory, it's better to brush your teeth with Keystone.
Served in a 24oz can. Livin' large.

Appearance: After pouring some of the beer into a solo cup laying around my dorm, I am not surprised to find that it doesn't necessarily look stunning. I've enjoyed the dark amber of a Fat Tire, the golden Hopslam, and the supremely opaque Founders' Breakfast Stout. Keystone is plain and yellow.

Smell: The smell is personally nostalgic. There's a musky scent that attaches itself to aluminum. I enjoy the smell, and I would argue that compared to Bud Light, Coors, and the reprehensible Miller Lite, Keystone smells the best.

Taste: "Always Smooth" is true, particularly after my first 12 ounces of the tall boy. The taste is not offensive and not overtly watery, the latter being a criticism of Miller Lite and some other austerity-challenged beers. It's a light beer that tastes good.

Mouthfeel: Generally carbonated, light, unoffensive. No poor aftertaste.

Final Thoughts: Keystone Light is a fantastic light and sessionable beer. Clearly, it is not the best beer on the market and most definitely not the greatest tasting; yet, if you are not planning on experimenting with craft beer tonight, Keystone Light is a worthy replacement.
I would recommend pairing Keystone Light with a large pepperoni and cheese pizza, a hockey game, three to four friends, and a constantly replenishing bowl of pretzels.

1.95/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

This cheap beer at its finest its drinkable taste just like cheap beer, u get wat u paid for.. not to 4get its honestly the best for house parties buy like 5 cases of these and its on :)

But anywayS....if u low in money or u just wanna save and get a good buss this is more than enough to keep u leveled

1.41/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Oh, man. Here we are. In my town, this was the drink of choice for high-schoolers looking to get crunk in their parents' basement while they were away. Utterly cheap, and utterly gross.

Poured it into a beer pong cup. It looked yellow and fizzy, with a little bit of fizzy head. Visible carbonation.

Smells like wet cardboard and husky grain.

No real actual beer character to this one. Slightly sweet, mostly skunky and carboardy. You get what you pay for.

Light bodied, high carbonation. Crushable while it's cold, but once it gets even a little bit less than cold, it becomes vile.

This is cheap for a reason. It's horrible.

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company