Coors Extra Gold - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Extra Gold Alström Bros
2.3/5  rDev -19.3%

I had high hopes when I first tried this beer, since I had assumed that its "gold" designation would offer a bit more flavor (a la Foster's). Was I wrong. All I tasted was corn and alcohol. Bland yellow in the glass, adjunct "beer" smell, with light carbonation and a quickly disappearing head. Looked like any other yellow macro. Tasted a bit of malt up front, but the lingering corn (the best way I can describe it) and astringent alcohol flavor just didn't set well with me. Good thing I found a single can. My only other choice would have been a 30 pack. Not worth the cost--at any price. (592 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -32.3%

12 oz can into glass.

If I had a nickel for every thirty pack of this swill we bought in high school I'd have about twenty dollars. We used to get a thirty pack for 9.99 and we thought we had it made when we started a party with 3 30 packs of this nonsense.
Very average macro look and feel and smell. i like regular Coors better that this, because I sense a more metallic taste here. Never had it on draft on in the bottle so I don't know if its the cans or not. I don't think its too hot. With lots of super spicy bbq on a hot summer night maybe, but I'd go for the Coors regular or a High Life before I'd choose this one. (626 characters)

2.86/5  rDev +0.4%

One of the better Coors products. Now its simply called "Extra Gold" (minus the "Coors") but this stuff is still pure Coors. Still kinda cheap, but it actually has some flavor to it and would make a good lawnmower beer.

Extra Gold pours a dark straw/light gold color. Not quite as gold as I was expecting it to be. I actually got a decent two fingers of white foam when I poured this out of the can, and it lasted a minute or two. The smell was grain with what I thought was a slight tropical fruit smell, and add in some slightly musty/husky grain notes. The mouthfeel was smooth but still fizzy. The first sip had some pronounced grain and malt flavors. After trying the other Coors beers it almost seems strong. Slightly bready, and a very slight hint of toasted malt, along with some hop flavor. There is a decent amount of hop dryness in the finish, which surprised me. The aftertaste is lacking, as it is very clean with only hints of malt, even though the dryness somewhat carries over. Tiny amount of alcoholic warmth to finish this one out.

As one of the previous BAs said, this is good stuff to have with your macroswiller friends. I'm going out on a limb and saying it tastes good. Nothing too exciting about this beer, but it gets the job done and won't give you "nasty beer face." (1,308 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -39.3%

A little bolder than the original, sometimes it hits the spot other times it's way off. Generally bought in 30 packs it's inexpensive. Little aroma, decent light golden pour good carbonation and a solid head. Watery mouthfeel, bitter finish. Flavor is more bitter than most american swills, has some character to it. (316 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -4.2%

Orange tinted head which proved to be slightly sticky. Deep, dirty gold body that reminds me of slightly tarnished brass. Stewed grain nose (not in a malty way) with some dusty hops thrown in to remind you that this is, indeed a beer. On tasting, it’s hard to miss the big mouthful of bland grain. Nondescript hop flavor was present along with a surprisingly decent bitterness for a sub-premium American lager. The bitterness doesn’t build at all, but at least it’s there to do a little cleansing.

Not to shabby for a macro, especially since it was rolled out to compete with Busch! (589 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -15.8%

Even pouring it out of the can did not produce much of a head. Crisp taste though. Could be a good "wedding" type beer if trapped at such a poor function. Although I probably would opt for water instead. (203 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: pours a 1" fluffy white head which recedes moderately. There is a moderate amount of lacing. Beer is a deep golden color with noticeable streaming carbonation.
Aroma: roasted barley, corn husks, clean water and a bit of hop aroma.
Mouthfeel: light and crisp. This brew goes down easily and finish is quite dry.
Flavor: pleasant taste of toasted bread crust, a bit of buttery toffee, some corn sweetness. There is a mild hop bitterness in the finish and aftertaste. (479 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Originally gave a quick review back in August, 2013. I had to do a write up on this after I cracked open some left over cans from a 30 pack purchased in Poncha Springs CO. I kept the cans cold every since. Anyway, cracked open a cold can and couldn't believe this beer. It was awesome in terms of head and appearance. Poured into a regular pint glass. The taste was like an amped up original coors. Much better than Bud and Miller products. This beer will go down easy and is easy on the pocket book. It surprised the hell out of me. Taste like a good lager should. Good camp beer at that. Nothing spectacular but worth the money and probably the best adjunct available. Coors did well with this one. Good for those warm days and nights or any occasion. I remember back in the 90's when the branding and label had coors on it. Now it's just Extra Gold. I don't think they changed the recipe much. Cheers! (904 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -0.7%

Coors Extra Gold is a basic lager with a little more flavor and character than the average mainstream brew. This beer is a little darker than other beers of its genre but it has perfect clarity, little foam, and the scent of corn, cereal grains, and yeast- qualities that are typical of a big business brew.

The taste of Coors Extra Gold, however, is a little bit better than its close relatives. The taste of sweet grains is evident, along with yeast, and very little hop. Ordinarily, qualities like these would result in a lower rating, but Coors Extra Gold is fractionally fuller bodied, offering a heartier, maltier taste than its close companions, Coors Original and Coors Light.

One annoyance with Coors Extra Gold is that it is only sold in 30- packs. You cannot buy smaller quantities. But on the bright side, the price is very low. It is common to find a 30- pack selling for only about $12, which is the equivalent of buying a six pack for only $2.40. It might be offered for sale in some markets in smaller packages but I have only seen it offered in the large thirty pack size.

Normally, I would preach against a product like Coors Extra Gold, due to its macro- brewed character and its adjunct qualities. But something about this beer makes me enjoy it more than I should. I think it’s the added body (when compared to Coors best selling products), the darker color, and the slightly maltier taste. This, added with the fact that it is much better than other beer in its price range, makes Coors Extra Gold a good choice of brew for certain occasions. (1,577 characters)

Drank from a can with a date, not sure if it is the canned date or the expiration date. I didnt bother to pour this brew into a glass. I enjoyed it from the can. This beer seems like a cheaper offering from the Coors company. The taste that comes to mind is corn, including the husk. No real hops. This was pretty refreshing, nothing to exciting. Overly carbonated. Mouthfeel is also overly bubbles. (399 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer starts off promising, with a nice medium amber color, and impressive head, but then quickly subsides into a typical macrobrew. Quick malt rush quickly subsides into a cooked corn flavor. Finishes weak. (213 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into my nonic pint glass.

Looks gold! Fizzy. Aggressively carbonated. Decent white head. Slims down, but good lacing.

Smells of sweet corn (canned). A bit of hops in the nose, balancing with the sweetness.

A big bite up front in the taste. A grainy dryness in the finish. Husky flavor. A good level of bittering hops. A refreshing, fairly clean aftertaste. And a rim even hangs around til the end.

I paid around $7.50 for a 12-pk. Not too bad for the price, but also not too bad overall. (498 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Coors Extra Gold is nothing to get excited about. This lager pours a cyrstal clear light gold color. Perhaps the "extra gold" refers to the color, as there is sadly nothing golden about this brew. The smell is a generic macro through out, with nothing but adjunct coming through-corn? No hint of malt or hops. The tatse is bland, no flavor at all. The mouthfeel is wet. Why buy this american macro lager, when there are better ones out there such as Miller High Life? (467 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -9.5%

12oz can into pint glass.
As the name implies, this poured a deep gold color with a fizzy white head. Smell like a run of the mill adjunct beer. Lots of sweetness in the palate that could get tiresome after a few. Not a great lager but is a far cry from the worst of the style. (277 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -11.2%

Hey, its my dad's beer of choice. Friend bought a case of this and I knocked back a couple of these oddly thin cans. Poured one into a small, hourglass shaped budweiser glass.

Clear, gold color with some soapy white head that doesn't retain very well and leaves only a little lacing.

Smell is almost non-existant, some graininess in there, doesn't seem to have that cheap, corny smell that a lot of macros do. Taste is also pretty unoffensive and basically not there.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry, nice carbonation, i could drink a bunch of these if they were the only thing around, but i would certainly never seek this out. A good macro, but a macro nonetheless. (665 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -41.1%

This is one of the better things to come out of Coors.
The head was thin with a little taste you have to drink it quick because it's gone in two seconds.
The Body is plane and bland clear golden tint (looks like bud) well carbonated>
The taste was like they added more taste to original Coors still slight malt and hopps but a little better. Nice refreshing drink butt would not recommend for mass consumption!! (417 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -32.6%

a beer from the rockies; good graphic design; nice bottle; poor taste and drinkability;

herbs and adjoincts in its smell; corn, rice, etc.

rounded mouthfeel like coors light "without the calories", for me a mexican beer drinker coors is one of the most popular brands in my country and i try it of course, this beer is not available in my country, but i got from the border and many of the beers that i got are for the collection and for review it;

try with mexican food; 42% recommended. (498 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +21.1%

This beer is in my opinion one of the better flavored Macro's.
I've never poured it out in a glass though. I figured that I would have to enjoy the true lure of this beer and do it in the can.
It smells really boozy and corny like a typical American Lager would. There is nothing complicated or any hops in there anywhere.
I best describe this beer as tasting like a cob of corn. It reminds me of the farmers fairs in the fall where you get corn with everything you eat. A bit of a musty booziness is present in there.
This beer is fairly light bodied in the mouth but it has a bit more flavour than most other beers of it's type. (633 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +7.4%

wow... got this beer the other day for a kickback because it 8.99 for a case. so of course we weren't expecting much. but i must say this is actually a pretty descent brew. and id pick this over most of the other cheap brews.

it has a nice clean, taste of malts that are pretty sweet, with just a little bitterness on the end that last for just a little bit before it finishes cleans. the malt is balanced, not to ricey or too corny or none of that. crisp and refreshing with a light-medium body. still a little watery in taste though... but hey, you know how that goes.

its a good beer for what its meant to do, which is be cheap. next time you need a cheap beer, id highly recommend this one. you may be pleasantly surprised. (731 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours golden yellow. Little head. Taste is maltier and more smooth than regular Coors. Hoppiness is apparent as are accents of grains, husks? This is nice and malty. This is better than I expected, and would call this a premium Coors product. Wish it was cheaper and more available where I live. (295 characters)

2.95/5  rDev +3.5%

When I am looking for something cheap to stock the fridge up with I usually pick this one.
Looks just like every other american lager. Pale yellow with hardly any head.
Smells clean and sweet, alittle grainy.
Tastes much more malty than most American Lagers. Crisp with a dry finish. (287 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +35.8%

When I was going through Golden CO, we stopped at the Coors Brewery. Being a beer geek, I of course hold my nose at the mention of Coors. Having seen a lot of small breweries, I was quite interested in seeing a huge one. I managed to sample/choke down all four Coors beers while there. This one was the only one that was any good, and the only one with any character.

I had always liked this beer. I think I'll start keeping this around the house for macro drinker visitors and occaisonally for my own enjoyment. (516 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +21.4%

I like this product, but I have reservations about the description on the can about the "extreme" brewing process that Coor's uses making this beer. Over all, however, at $13.00/30 pk you can hardly go wrong. It is interesting looking over both the can and the carton that Coor's is only listed as the maker of the beer, and not part of the beer's name. (353 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -61.8%

There are a few things in this world that will probably never be fully understood....How could Jesus have turned water into wine? How could Anheuser and Busch train a Clydesdale to piss in a bottle? And how in hell does Coors manage to take pure mountain water and render it undrinkable.!? I spent time in Aspen in the early 80's and the waters are beautiful. I also drank Coors out there. From what I remember it wasn't that bad. Now, I can down maybe three before my head is exploding. The only good thing that I could say about this beer now is that when it's poured in a glass it doesn't look that bad. And that glass better be sterile enough for surgery because, if it isn't, the head will disappear in two seconds. As far as smell, taste and mouthfeel, I'm sorry. It blows. Drinkability? Well, you know how your piss looks if you don't drink enough of water? Real dark yellowish/orange. If you put that piss in carbonated water you'd have a pretty close example of Extra Gold. I don't thing Adolf Coors had this in mind when he started his brewery. This is just another fine example of what happens when any buisiness gets too big. More money is sunk into advertising than into product quality. (1,200 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +15.8%

A so-so beer -- not overly sweet or rice-y, but nothing that special. The Coors name is downplayed -- you wouldn't know it's even a Coors product unless you read the fine print, wI guess because it's their budget line and they don't want to undercut their base brand (Banquet, which has the same ABV). Whatever, it seems to have limited distribution even where other Coors products are sold. I would place it above other macros' budget lines (e.g., Busch and Milwaukee's Best) which isn't saying much, but hey, it's not trying to be Sierra Nevada. (547 characters)

Coors Extra Gold from Coors Brewing Company