Coors Extra Gold - Coors Brewing Company

poor

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 09-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Extra Gold Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev +24%

Poors frothy, but calms down to a thin soapy head. Few bubbles are visible. Clear yellow; essentially looks the same coming out of the can as it will coming out of you.

The smell isn't terribly appealing but is better than most mass-produced lagers. Just your basic barley smell.

Tastes okay for what it is. Not really any sign of hops. Relatively clean and mild aftertaste.

Tingly and thin. The mouthfeel is the best part of this beer to me. It feels about the same as a club soda but with less tingle.

Moderately good drinkability for no other reason than the price: $10 for a 30 pack where I come from. Not a beer to enjoy or sip, but if you can get it really cold and frosty then its a good beer for hot dogs in the summer or purposely trying to get a cheap buzz. Not much use for it beyond that.

Cylinsier, Oct 03, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +37.4%

Copper colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is the usual macro.Taste is a little bit more maltier than your average macro.My buddies who like the micros consider this to be an acceptable macro.I like macros and micros and find this to be a pretty damn good beer.I would buy again!!

matty, Sep 06, 2008
3.1/5  rDev +26%

I CAN usually bypass Coors products, but as my CAN quest CANtinues, I CAN't necessarily find beers in CANs that I have not tried before.

My pour created a finger's worth of bone-white head that quickly slipped away into wisps. As to the beer's color, there is something to be said for truth in advertising. It was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose had a definite lager-like sweetness, which was a hopeful sign. Mouthfeel was medium with a light sweetness on the tongue. Finish carried that same light sweetness. Overall, it was not terrible, but it was not very different from so many other American lagers that I have tried as part of this mission. Ho hum.

woodychandler, Sep 01, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +8.9%

A: Deep, very clear gold color. Poured a one inch fizzy white head that dissipated immediately. No lacing.

S: Corn, some malt and light grassy aroma.

T: Corn and a bit of wet grain followed by light citrus. Crisp and clean, but not much to clean.

M: Color may have set me up for more, but very light body and, frankly, thin. Carbonated.

D: Couild drink a lot if I wanted to, but taste can't get me to the "want to". Better than most macro lagers thoght.

Haybeerman, Aug 26, 2008
2.33/5  rDev -5.3%

I had high hopes when I first tried this beer, since I had assumed that its "gold" designation would offer a bit more flavor (a la Foster's). Was I wrong. All I tasted was corn and alcohol. Bland yellow in the glass, adjunct "beer" smell, with light carbonation and a quickly disappearing head. Looked like any other yellow macro. Tasted a bit of malt up front, but the lingering corn (the best way I can describe it) and astringent alcohol flavor just didn't set well with me. Good thing I found a single can. My only other choice would have been a 30 pack. Not worth the cost--at any price.

tugdriver7, Aug 01, 2008

a: pours an american macro pale golden color with about a half inch of head that dissapears very quickly leaving no laving
s: crisp corn malts little hop bitterness
t: similar to the nose, corn malts and crisp carbonation and no hop bitterness
m: sharp crisp carbonation and lots of it light bodied beer

overall, this is a lawn mower beer no something id get again

happygnome, Jul 07, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz can into glass.

If I had a nickel for every thirty pack of this swill we bought in high school I'd have about twenty dollars. We used to get a thirty pack for 9.99 and we thought we had it made when we started a party with 3 30 packs of this nonsense.
Very average macro look and feel and smell. i like regular Coors better that this, because I sense a more metallic taste here. Never had it on draft on in the bottle so I don't know if its the cans or not. I don't think its too hot. With lots of super spicy bbq on a hot summer night maybe, but I'd go for the Coors regular or a High Life before I'd choose this one.

baos, Apr 10, 2008
2.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Hey, its my dad's beer of choice. Friend bought a case of this and I knocked back a couple of these oddly thin cans. Poured one into a small, hourglass shaped budweiser glass.

Clear, gold color with some soapy white head that doesn't retain very well and leaves only a little lacing.

Smell is almost non-existant, some graininess in there, doesn't seem to have that cheap, corny smell that a lot of macros do. Taste is also pretty unoffensive and basically not there.

Mouthfeel is crisp and dry, nice carbonation, i could drink a bunch of these if they were the only thing around, but i would certainly never seek this out. A good macro, but a macro nonetheless.

wheelinshirt, Feb 22, 2008
2.55/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - A golden color with a light foamy head which quickly disappears.

Smell - Malt and grains are the most noticeable.

Taste - Tastes clean. Grains malt and some hops are present. Somewhat sweet

Mouthfeel - Crisp and clean. Light bodied.

Drinkability - Not bad for a mass produced beer.

hardy008, Feb 17, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours out of the can a goldish/copper/bronze colour with a thin fine head, disappearing quickly but supported somewhat by active carbonation. slight malt aroma, some adjunct notes as well. taste is a light mix of genuine barley malt and grainy flavours...which makes the gesture of hiding any real adjunct tastes. a bit of hopping adds some bitterness in the back end. not bad. the body is of the usual macro lagerish sort with a slight hint of something more. mouthfeel is crisp and clean with a residual sweetness. drinkability is very good for a mass produced american lager.

more overall malt flavour than the usual macros, and WAY better than regular coors. a nice switch up in the rotation of bud, high life, PBR, etc. for my macro swilling.

budgood1, Jan 25, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +29.3%

My friends dad drinks this, so occasionally I'll end up having one or two with him. It's not bad for a macro lager, certainly more body in this one than some of the others. Pours a golden amber with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of noble hops some clean malts and a bit of skunk. Taste is macro mouthfeel is thin and watery. I have trouble with these, beacuse they are so light I can finish them rather quickly and they can catch up to me. Not bad, not great, but not bad.

johnnnniee, Dec 14, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -17.5%

Pissy yellow beer in a can...light yellow clear, white head, corn or perhaps rice in the nose. Adjuncts in the early flavor profile, sweet in the middle, blah in the finish, no hop notes to be found. Wasnt expecting much here and thats what I got...Lower tier lawn mower beer...or would work in a marinade or pot of brats, besides those purposes stay away...

Billolick, Mar 19, 2007
1.93/5  rDev -21.5%

a beer from the rockies; good graphic design; nice bottle; poor taste and drinkability;

herbs and adjoincts in its smell; corn, rice, etc.

rounded mouthfeel like coors light "without the calories", for me a mexican beer drinker coors is one of the most popular brands in my country and i try it of course, this beer is not available in my country, but i got from the border and many of the beers that i got are for the collection and for review it;

try with mexican food; 42% recommended.

tesguino, Feb 21, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Why not. I was looking for something cheap and this was on sale.
Pours a medium gold (gee, what a shock) with a large, slightly off-white, frothy head. Smell is grainy malts, corn and just a touch of citrus. Taste is grain and cereal with late corn. It has a dry finish but also has a lingering sweetness in the back of the mouth. It has a medium-light body, slick texture and lively carbonation. For me this is a mood beer. Sometimes it’s alright, and other times it just tastes off.

ski271, Feb 06, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +28%

Pours golden yellow (slightly darker than most macros) with a thin white head that soon disappears to a thin patch, then nothing but a thin white ring.

The smell is of typical overprocessed hops and corn-like husk.

The taste is of watered-down slick processed hops, corn-like adjuncts and a slight hint of sweetish malt.

The feel is fairly smooth. A hint of body becomes apparent in the feel. Plenty of watery. A slight oily texture is left.

It's a cheap macro. For three bucks and change for a six-pack and easy accessibility, it could be worse. It's acceptable enough for me to bring to the community pool in the heat of the summer occassionally (where only canned beers are allowed). A cheap "beat the heat" beer, but otherwise forget about it. I found this left over in the fridge from the summer, so decided to review it. Won't be revisiting this again until next summer by the pool. That's about all it's good for.
Scores based solely on being a cheap macro.

jwc215, Sep 25, 2006
3.18/5  rDev +29.3%

Details- 12 oz. aluminum can that I snagged for free at a charity golf tournament I was participating in for work. When I saw it I knew that I'd have to take it home for reviewing just for kicks.

Appearance- A very appropriate gold color. Fairly fluffy white head with larger than average bubbles. Tons of carbonation. Very clear. and... Has some decent lacing! I'll have to concede that the appearance is better than most Macros.

Smell- Typical grainy macro smells, but with a very astringent alcohol odor. pretty unappealing even within the category.

Taste- A pretty good combination of malt sweetness and hop bitterness; each has its moments on the palate, but I'd definitely say that this is maltier than most american macros. Strong suggestions in the flavor tell me that corn is more than likely used.

Mouthfeel- Much thicker and fuller than most in this style. Approaches medium bodied. Carbonation dies down very quickly. Beer becomes a bit flat.

Other notes- One of the better macro beers I've had. Easy to drink but has character too. No, I wouldn't pick this out at the store, but I might drink one if I had to choose between the typical BMC selections and this.

lpayette, Sep 18, 2006
2.88/5  rDev +17.1%

Coors Extra Gold is a basic lager with a little more flavor and character than the average mainstream brew. This beer is a little darker than other beers of its genre but it has perfect clarity, little foam, and the scent of corn, cereal grains, and yeast- qualities that are typical of a big business brew.

The taste of Coors Extra Gold, however, is a little bit better than its close relatives. The taste of sweet grains is evident, along with yeast, and very little hop. Ordinarily, qualities like these would result in a lower rating, but Coors Extra Gold is fractionally fuller bodied, offering a heartier, maltier taste than its close companions, Coors Original and Coors Light.

One annoyance with Coors Extra Gold is that it is only sold in 30- packs. You cannot buy smaller quantities. But on the bright side, the price is very low. It is common to find a 30- pack selling for only about $12, which is the equivalent of buying a six pack for only $2.40. It might be offered for sale in some markets in smaller packages but I have only seen it offered in the large thirty pack size.

Normally, I would preach against a product like Coors Extra Gold, due to its macro- brewed character and its adjunct qualities. But something about this beer makes me enjoy it more than I should. I think it’s the added body (when compared to Coors best selling products), the darker color, and the slightly maltier taste. This, added with the fact that it is much better than other beer in its price range, makes Coors Extra Gold a good choice of brew for certain occasions.

BryanCarey, Aug 16, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +42.3%

Poured a deep golden color with impressive white puffy head. Smell is minimal, with some sweet malt notes present. Taste is good with a strong malt character. Finished very refreshing and thirst quenching. Makes a very nice spacer. Can't beat it at $11.99 an 30 pack. Took a case on vacation and everyone liked it.

tgbljb, Jul 19, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Coors Extra Gold is nothing to get excited about. This lager pours a cyrstal clear light gold color. Perhaps the "extra gold" refers to the color, as there is sadly nothing golden about this brew. The smell is a generic macro through out, with nothing but adjunct coming through-corn? No hint of malt or hops. The tatse is bland, no flavor at all. The mouthfeel is wet. Why buy this american macro lager, when there are better ones out there such as Miller High Life?

BadBadger, May 11, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +46.3%

In Coors’ bevvy lineup, Extra Gold fits neatly between the main market Coors Original/Coors Light and the ‘sub-premium’ (read: cheap) Keystone. It was once Coors Extra Gold, but shrewd brewery marketers who no doubt know their business dropped the parent name some time ago and now it is simply Extra Gold Lager. Apparently it is available in bottles, but not here in glamorous Worcester, MA, where I have only seen it sold by the can in 30-packs for $14. Aside from the name change, the black and gold label has changed little, and has a pleasant simplicity that appeals to the Rumpole eye.

That visual appeal continues when you crack open the narrow straight-sided can and pour; Coors bolts to an early lead with the look of this beer, a beautiful rich and vibrant gold; here is a brew that lives up to its name. The scent is pleasant as well, a light but straightforward beer-like smell with a whiff of citrus twing.

Things continue to the good with the flavor profile; only some body, but no lack of maltiness of an uncomplex kind. Not much fruitiness, just enough hops to stay with that malt, and with that same citrine, seltzery lemon-lime note present in the scent. To be sure, there’s some adjunct graininess in there too, no getting away from it, but it doesn’t punish the palate or throw the beer off balance. It finishes neatly and without fuss. With a good smoke this stuff soars. Very potable, easy to put back several in succession without strain. I’d compared this directly with Red Dog, Miller’s attempt at extra punch in the value-priced bracket, and the Extra Gold took the biscuit in a walkover.

Keep this bargain under your hat, because for all the noise about Schlitz, Pabst Blue Ribbon and Miller High Life – justifiably so, granted – this Extra Gold quietly holds its own in that league, and in its own way; while it doesn’t have as much of the top notes, it’s maltier and stronger in the midsection of the palate, and as such can be a welcome and refreshing change of pace. It’s priced competitively in that crowd, too. What’s more, the brewery website confirms it at a solid 5% abv. Here’s a heavy hitting value from Coors.

Rumpole, Mar 08, 2006
2.17/5  rDev -11.8%

Drank from can.

Not much aroma. Smelled like a corn, barley, hops dirty sock. But not too strong.
Taste was shallow, light, and short lasting. Corn, straw, some malt. Wide mouth gave it points for drinkability. I can pound these b/c of its lightness. Good for frat parties, fishing, or a dare

Mebuzzard, Jan 26, 2006
1.55/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Previous reviewer pretty much said it all. Not much here, except a hint of malt and hops, mostly covered by cheap adjuncts and bit of skunkiness. Sad to say, this is more expensive than Coors Light, but it's not worth any more. Drink this only if someone else buys it for you, you're thirsty, and there's no water available.

ColoradoBobs, Oct 22, 2005
1.2/5  rDev -51.2%

12oz. can that I got for free. That's a good a thing because I would never pay for the stuff. The only good about this was the appearance, which was a golden color with a 1 inch of white foam. It went down hill from here. The smell was horrific! It smelled like a cross between apple juice and urine. The taste and mouthfeel were the same, a heavily waterd down malty beer. Give me a bottle of water over this any day. If you want a cheap beer with no taste then get this beer.

AltBock, Aug 05, 2005
1.08/5  rDev -56.1%

There are a few things in this world that will probably never be fully understood....How could Jesus have turned water into wine? How could Anheuser and Busch train a Clydesdale to piss in a bottle? And how in hell does Coors manage to take pure mountain water and render it undrinkable.!? I spent time in Aspen in the early 80's and the waters are beautiful. I also drank Coors out there. From what I remember it wasn't that bad. Now, I can down maybe three before my head is exploding. The only good thing that I could say about this beer now is that when it's poured in a glass it doesn't look that bad. And that glass better be sterile enough for surgery because, if it isn't, the head will disappear in two seconds. As far as smell, taste and mouthfeel, I'm sorry. It blows. Drinkability? Well, you know how your piss looks if you don't drink enough of water? Real dark yellowish/orange. If you put that piss in carbonated water you'd have a pretty close example of Extra Gold. I don't thing Adolf Coors had this in mind when he started his brewery. This is just another fine example of what happens when any buisiness gets too big. More money is sunk into advertising than into product quality.

cro250klr, Mar 29, 2005
2.5/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Actually, this beer doesn’t look half bad when poured from a 12 ounce can into a footed pilsner glass. It’s a deep golden color, with an almost champagne like effervescence and a respectable 1.5 inches of creamy white foam. It’s really an appealing sight. The smell is sweetish, with a malt and grain theme, and a little vegetable character in the background. Essentially no hops in the aroma. Taste starts a little sweet, with a one-dimensional graininess, and the finish is crisp and somewhat dry. Slight bitterness in the finish. It’s a light, very watery beer…as expected. There’s nothing really offensive about this beer, it just comes up short in the intensity of its flavor.

Suds, Jan 22, 2005