1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Keystone Ice - Coors Brewing Company

Keystone IceKeystone Ice

awful

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002)
Reviews by Taz_Michael:

2.51/5  rDev +49.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Here in Pittsburgh, PA. where I live, Keystone Ice/ass is one of the cheapest econo-swills one can buy . I picked up a 30-pack for $13.99 at a distributor .
It has that scary industrial grainy chemical taste to it.
A friend of mine says it reminds him of "lucky charms milk" .
A few will take the edge off a bad day or that too much coffee kind of anxiety but you don't want to have any more after that . This is I dare say "lawnmower beer" for when you just want something cold effervescent and alcohol-y .
There are worse cheap swills/malt liquors to be had so, this is NOT the worst cheapy swill out there but it is as I say , very industrial and a bit harsh after 2 or 3 and i've noticed the hangover can be pretty gruesome if you pound a bunch of it .

2.02/5  rDev +20.2%

Jared feels like a regular old ice-style lager tonight.

Appearance [2.5] : 3 finger head, recedes to about 1 within a minute. Body is straw with ultra transparency. Not much to talk about.

Aroma [3] : corn, malt, some banana liqueur, strawberry, fruit, straw and grass. Strong suit.

Taste [1.75] : spilled my beer again. It's malty, small bite of corn. Some sour funk at the end. Hops taste rotten. Sour alcohol nastiness at the finish. Not gonna philosophize this beer, it's a freaking macro ice paper bag beer. It's a little less than okay.

Mouthfeel [2] : it's a beer.

Overall [2.02] : pissed I spilled it all over my reloading desk. It's not great, not terrible - but almost.

3.23/5  rDev +92.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Light gold. A little darker than other beers of this style. White head that goes away quickly.

Smell: Grains with some sourness. Nothing offensive.

Taste: Corn and some sweetness. Maybe just a slight touch of hops.

Mouthfeel: Light, but not too watery. Easy drinking and refreshing.

Overall: An enjoyable beer for a hot day. Nothing to write home about, but nothing that makes it worthy of a drain pour. If you like this style of beer, then I think it's worth a look.

16 oz can
Best by: Sep 29 14
Served in a Pint Glass

1.7/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance – Light yellow in color with a bit of carbonation and a yo-yo head.

Smell – This has a sharp, alcohol-soaked ricey grain aroma that would gag a maggot.

Taste – This was about as bad as I thought it would be. There’s very little taste here to be found except the vodkaesque sting of raw booze. The grain from the nose, as bad as it was, is actually missed at the taste.

Mouthfeel – The cheap, fizzy carbonation and sharp boozy notes made this one hard to hold in the cheeks for anything longer than a second or two. I enjoy swilling extra strength Listerine more than I did this.

Sinkability – I was going to dump this in the sink except I was concerned about causing a major environmental catastrophe, so I took it to the local sanitary land fill where they charged me extra to dispose of it professionally. I think it’s buried about three or four feet deeper than the radioactive cones from a destroyed nuclear site.

1.38/5  rDev -17.9%

Yellow, small head dissipates quickly. Not much carbonation.
Smells very cheap, grainy, stale.
Unpleasent tasing, watery.
Feels like its flat.
Hard to drink beer. Very cheap and somewhat strong. Im having a very hard time drinking this beer. Avoid definately!

1.35/5  rDev -19.6%

I must admit I have never seen Keystone Ice poured into a glass; I've only had it from the can. But from the taste and similar beers, I'm going to guess it does not look very impressive. But I don't care about that. I care about the taste and wow was Keystone Ice repulsive. I struggled to get one 16 oz can down.

The taste is watered down and flat, and to make matters worse, the aftertaste and "mouthfeel" are bitter. I don't trust ice beer at all.

Keystone Ice just really doesn't get along with my palette, I guess. It is a beer I will never buy again. If its free and the only option, then I'll definitely be the D.D. for the night.

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a little more gold than yellow, as if someone ate a lot of carrots before they peed in the can. Aroma is extra-sugary corn syrup. Weird. The taste is beyond bad; tons of grain and metal with a heaping of sugar. The beer does have more heft to it than its cousins, and that is not a good thing. You will get drunk quickly on this stuff, though. And sick just as fast of drinking it.

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

1.7/5  rDev +1.2%

Pale yellow whiz in a can. No head, no lacing. Smell is like after your buddy spills Coors in your ride, and it cooks in there for a weekend.

Taste, since it doesn't taste like much, it isn't as bad as the "bad" appearance and aroma. Mouthfeel doesn't leave anything. Bad aftertaste I guess of cornmeal. Drinkability rates high, hey, its cheap, and since its like alcohol water, its relatively easy to drink, but why you would want to . . .

2.38/5  rDev +41.7%

Purchased at a Circle K in the Ville aka Steubenville, OH price check if anybody cares a dollar 69. Not much more booze than your typical malt lager but this is an iced version of Keystone. Appears in the most non descript form of a yellow fizzy lager, plop plop fizzes rise from the bottom of the glass. White head dwindles pretty rapidly even while your pouring the beer the head races to meet the body, wtf I guess a true college beer drinker knows how to pour a beer without any or much head. More beer right? Aroma has a pure cooked corn/cereal grain aroma...faint muddled herbal quality not quite hops. Flavor wise a pretty srong cereal grain infusion of rice/malts/corn with a bitter unpleasant offbeat singing through the melody of unconditioned and off put flavors. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with a rough heavy carbonation filling my senses this is tough sipping beer from a tallboy can. Overall I drank most of this not sure the portion that I didn't get down but I've seen much worse but this isn't aiming it's sights very high. A really mediocre brew that is put out there with extremly low expectations.

2.5/5  rDev +48.8%