Keystone Ice - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Ice Alström Bros
Ratings: 657 | Reviews: 144

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Tastes like any other pale American lager...all fake carbonation. Doug and I used to drink this because we could get like a 50 pack for 2 bucks.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

I did not try this one in a glass, i dont think their is a sutable glass for it? Anyway it smells like corn/rice, it taste like corn/rice , and it has one of the most present tastes of alcohol of any beer ive ever drank, making it not so easy to enjoy. Ice cold from the cooler and drank with an open mind. This beer "to me" reminded me of a whiskey taste mixed with a glass of ice that had been melting for awhile. Im not bashing , its just not that good to me, probably my least favorite of all.

I feel that I have a cast iron palate when it comes to drinking beer. I almost exclusively drink High Gravity Lagers because it has the most bang for the buck. I would prefer to drink quality micro beers and imports but they are too expensive to drink regularly. I would consider myself somewhat of a beer connoisseur. I can drink rot gut vodka straight without any problems but yet I would have to say Keystone ice is one of the most repulsive beers I have ever tried. The first time I ever tried it I can honestly say I thought it could possibly be contaminated or something like that and considered contacting the Brewery. I tried it months later and the results were the same! The taste is very metallic and chemical. You know its beer only by the faint hint of fermented grain. Anyone who says this is an OK beer is a liar!

1.02/5  rDev -39.3%

Words cannot describe the horrible taste of this beer (if I'd call it beer). I picked up a tallboy on my way home from work. I popped the top and had me a few swigs before throwing that nasty stuff out the window into the ditch. Tastes like watered down milky fruit loops. Don't waste your .99cents.

1.03/5  rDev -38.7%

This beer is a beer for the ages. The extremely pale yellow color is not very appetizing and the smell is kind of pungeant. Not very much of anything good going on here except the price. Real cheap and it will get you drunk very fast. The mouthfeel is alot like Keystone Light - it is really flat and could use more carbonation to make it better. As for it's drinkability, it is not drinkable at all. It hurts going down and does not make me want any more. The black can is pretty cool though...

1.03/5  rDev -38.7%

This can of ice beer pours a yellow color and has a poor white head. The nose is of grainy malt and stale bitter hops. The taste is super light with some corn in there. Body is watery and over carbonated. This stuff is quite similar to Keystone's other beers. They are all equally bad.

1.06/5  rDev -36.9%

This is easily one of the worst beers I have ever had. Even worse is it is an "ice" beer that doesn't even have a high ABV.

I can't say anything nice about it except that it doesn't look terrible. For a cheap beer it pours nicely and looks ok in a beer pong cup. That's about it. Terrible taste.

1.06/5  rDev -36.9%

Oh my god. This is hands down the best beer ever made! Amazing! I woder how they make such a perfect beer!
Okay, I lied. This is one of the worst things to ever come in a can. That's right folks, it's worse than Spam. But still college kids buy this like there is nothing else on the market.
It pours a clear straw yellow with no head and a lot of fizzy carbonation. not the prettiest beer, but I have seen worse.
The aroma ia semi metalic with hints of burned rice and cardboard.
Rhe taste is also of rice, metal, cardboard and the slightest hints of malt.
An embarrasing beer with no promise. I will never buy a 30 pack again. I should have myself commited for buying one as it is.

1.06/5  rDev -36.9%

This is one nasty beer. Pours out to the typical, average golden color we are all used to in regards to beer of this type. It has a funky grainy taste, with a disgusting sweetness to it. A drain pour. It was that bad.

1.06/5  rDev -36.9%

There aren't many beers that I've had in my life that I can't at least drink, whether or not I enjoy them. This dear readers is one fatal exception. To follow the community guidelines for reviews, I will hold off on bashing this beer until I get into the review. Let me assure you however, before we begin, that there is only one redeeming quality to this awful stuff.
As far as appearance, I had this stuff at poker night in college so it's hard to tell the appearance of a beer in a red plastic cup. However on the pour there was almost no head except for some oily looking foam clinging in sparse areas of the surface of my beer and the color of the pour was very similar to say...well lets just say this beer must have been dehydrated and taking its B vitamins cause it looked and smelled like it. The mouthfeel is initially no different than any other macro brew, which is to say there isn't much of anything going on here. On the finish it seems to mutate into something altogether different, leaving a funky coating on the palate and a bit of a sharp bite in the back of the throat (that could be the vodka they're pouring in this stuff to up the alcohol content...not seriously by the way...but it feels like it). The taste is only what can be described as unbearable, although I did bear it that night and succeeded in getting pretty hammered off the stuff (is its one redeeming quality) which leads me to the point I am today. One of my college buddies bought a case of it and after opening the can I knew I wouldn't be able to pull another night off with this one. I literally swallowed a chug of the beer and it immediately reversed directions and...well you can imagine. I'm just glad I was close to the trash can.

1.08/5  rDev -35.7%

Awful, nasty stuff. I really can no longer imagine the day where I could see this beer in my hand ever again.

1.08/5  rDev -35.7%

This is, honestly, the worst beer I have had the pleasure of trying. Pours a pale yellow, high carbonation, quickly dissipating head. I find no redeeming factors about it's flavor, aroma or appearance, other than it's 5.9% alcohol level, which makes it good for beer pong. Just getting this rating out of the way.

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

The smell is of perhaps stale bread and corn.

Appearance is pale yellow.

The mouthfeel is light with heavy carbonation.

The taste is just simply disgusting. Imagine licking a railroad spike covered in corn flakes.

I was able to finish 6 of them despite the horrible taste. I would never want to have this again.

1.18/5  rDev -29.8%

This beer didn't taste like anything. Literally, it tasted and smelled like absolutely nothing.

Some people are saying it smells skunked, corn-like, etc. I couldn't smell a thing or taste a thing.

It had a ring of white, which I guess was its head and had the carbonation and mouthfeel of a soda.

This is one for if you just want to get really trashed and don't care about beer at all. If you want a bit of alcohol in water then here's your beer.

1.19/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Typical getting drunk BMC SWILL.

1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

Bought this from the Frontier Saloon in Folsom, PA; 24 oz can for $1.50, figured why not? Apparently, according to the can, it was specially designed on the inside, yeah right...

I poured this into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a clear, piss-colored yellow (this really is the most accurate description of the color). A two finger head that quickly dissipates into soapy suds. Boo

Smell: Smelled of corn and metal. That's it, really. Pretty horrible.

Taste: A bit better than the smell, but not by much. A strong taste of corn, followed by a metallic aftertaste. The alcohol taste is pretty well hidden, though.

Mouthfeel: Watery, but it leaves a sticky kind of residue. Weird, and not in a good way.

Overall: A terrible beer of this style, but if you're looking to get smashed, it's an ok option. I almost poured mine down the drain, but felt the alcohol coming on, and decided to finish it based solely on that.

1.2/5  rDev -28.6%

A- Pale golden with white head that lasted 5 seconds

S- corn, metallic, rice, husk.

T- Same as smell, but with a tinge of bitterness to it. Not hoppy bitterness, mostly carbonation induced and mineral induced.

M- Filmy and feel like I ate rotten eggs

D- How can people drink this? I gave this a 2.0 drink ability rating because its a "damn it I wanna die so lets get drunk chug this sucker" type of beer.

1.21/5  rDev -28%

Pours a little more gold than yellow, as if someone ate a lot of carrots before they peed in the can. Aroma is extra-sugary corn syrup. Weird. The taste is beyond bad; tons of grain and metal with a heaping of sugar. The beer does have more heft to it than its cousins, and that is not a good thing. You will get drunk quickly on this stuff, though. And sick just as fast of drinking it.

1.21/5  rDev -28%

Ugh. Go buy a Yeungling

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%

Another beer in the series of Adjunct Lager Tasting. Poured into a pint glass at 35 degrees.

Appearance: A foamy white three finger white head that has poor retention. The color of the beer is a light straw color with yellow hues. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is brilliant. The head disappeared after a couple of minutes in the glass, nothing remained.

Nose: A very faint corn, rice and barley note. There is a very light corn sweetness and fruity esters in the background of the beer. It was a little hard to get the aromas in the beer, since they are not very aromatic.

Taste: A very light rice and barley flavor. There are notes of floral esters and corn sweetness. There is odd flavor in the finish kinda tinny and sour. There are very unpleasant and make it hard to drink.

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, dry, and slightly astringent.

Overall: The body of the beer is light and the finish is medium. There is really odd meat flavor in the the finish of the beer, making it unpleasant and a drain pour.

1.26/5  rDev -25%

I bought this at a bar/beer joint here in Ktown. 1.25 per 24 oz can, cheapest stuff in the store, and that was my first mistake! Yuck... Thats my one word review.. It is not even worth running down the list of appearance, smell, etc... The only reason this is still being made is so poor college students or bums can get drunk quick. Bottom line: don't buy unless you are really short on cash.

1.3/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

For some reason i felt compelled to purchase this in a 24 oz can.
In appearance this is typical of the mass ( over)produced cheap American lager type liquid. That is urine yellow with a large artificial looking pure white head.
Smell is saopy and sweet, in an unpleasant way.
Taste is almost non-existant except for a really nasty chemical bitter ness that floats about.
Thin and watery on the palate.
This is not drinkable for me..a drain pour..if you must have a horribly cheap "ice " beer go for Icehouse.

1.31/5  rDev -22%

The only real difference between these two participants in Macro Smackdown XIII is the fact that I'm using a can of Keystone Ice and a bottle of Mickey's Ice. The ABVs are very nearly identical. This will be another classic face-off (an appropriate term for two ice beers) between Miller and Coors. May be the least bad brewery win.

I don't mind the slightly paler color on this beer, since they're very close to the same, but the so-called head is crapilicious. It's grayish white and is one of the least attractive chunks of foam that I've seen in quite a while. It's mealy, soft, unsticky and looks like melting styrofoam. Needless to say, the pint glass is completely untouched. Keystone is the clear loser here.

The nose is odd and is a little off-putting. It isn't very grain-like, it's metallic and it has a strange, sweet, floral odor. Not like floral hops, but like flowers. Another win for the boys from Milwaukee.

Keystone Ice is horrific beer. I don't often have the urge to spit out my first mouthful, but I did in this case. How hard can it be to brew semi-palatable beer? It's almost as if the brewery set out to concoct something disgusting. If they had, they could scarcely have come up with anything worse than this. The beer tastes like sweetened, diseased grain and cheap perfume.

When you're fighting the almost overpowering urge to gag and retch, it makes assessing the mouthfeel an exponentially more difficult task. Neither beer distinguishes itself in this category and I'll have to call them roughly equal in the end.

The can tells me that Keystone Ice is 'always smooth'. I beg to differ. The mouthfeel isn't full enough to be smooth and the flavor is one of the rockiest, most gut-wrenching rides that I've taken in quite some time. My suggestion is that if you find yourself with no other choice, make sure the can is ice cold. On second thought, put the sucker in the freezer until it actually turns to ice... and then throw it away. Nothing is going to make it easier to get this one down.

1.33/5  rDev -20.8%

I must admit I have never seen Keystone Ice poured into a glass; I've only had it from the can. But from the taste and similar beers, I'm going to guess it does not look very impressive. But I don't care about that. I care about the taste and wow was Keystone Ice repulsive. I struggled to get one 16 oz can down.

The taste is watered down and flat, and to make matters worse, the aftertaste and "mouthfeel" are bitter. I don't trust ice beer at all.

Keystone Ice just really doesn't get along with my palette, I guess. It is a beer I will never buy again. If its free and the only option, then I'll definitely be the D.D. for the night.

1.34/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Pretty horrible, but admittedly not as bad as I had thought. Still not as bad as red dog.

Keystone Ice from Coors Brewing Company