Keystone Ice - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Ice Alström Bros
2.38/5  rDev +40.8%

Purchased at a Circle K in the Ville aka Steubenville, OH price check if anybody cares a dollar 69. Not much more booze than your typical malt lager but this is an iced version of Keystone. Appears in the most non descript form of a yellow fizzy lager, plop plop fizzes rise from the bottom of the glass. White head dwindles pretty rapidly even while your pouring the beer the head races to meet the body, wtf I guess a true college beer drinker knows how to pour a beer without any or much head. More beer right? Aroma has a pure cooked corn/cereal grain aroma...faint muddled herbal quality not quite hops. Flavor wise a pretty srong cereal grain infusion of rice/malts/corn with a bitter unpleasant offbeat singing through the melody of unconditioned and off put flavors. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with a rough heavy carbonation filling my senses this is tough sipping beer from a tallboy can. Overall I drank most of this not sure the portion that I didn't get down but I've seen much worse but this isn't aiming it's sights very high. A really mediocre brew that is put out there with extremly low expectations.

WVbeergeek, Aug 12, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +95.3%

A: typical American adjunct lager. Loads of bubbles travel up to the top of the glass. Virtually no head.

S: not too offensive, especially compared to other ice beers. There is a slight sweetness from the higher alcohol content and subtle hints of corn.

T: very smooth, almost dangerously smooth. The sweetness takes the front seat, due to the higher alcohol content. Similar to the odor, there is some corniness.

M: heavily carbonated and quite watery. Not too impressed.

Although this beer gets a lot of hate, it's better than other ice lagers on the market. The appearance is nothing special, but the flavor is far less offensive than other ice lagers. If you're strapped for cash and want something smooth, this brew is a decent buy.

barrenbane, Aug 05, 2011
2.73/5  rDev +61.5%

From a can marked Oct1011-BO8060639. The pour is yellow with no head and busy carbonation. The aroma is more subtle than many Ice beers with a crispy hoppiness sneaking up on the nose but little in the way of malts. Plenty of corn and adjuncts. The body is thin. The taste is a tad mellower than I expected but otherwise it is mainly corn, metal, and a weak hop factor. It's a macro ice beer...what do you expect? Better than some though.

puboflyons, Jul 30, 2011
2.15/5  rDev +27.2%

I only drink this when one of my friend's friend's friend ends up bringing it to a party. This beer is really only good for beer pong. Tastes pretty bad when it gets warm, but your drinking it to get drunk not to enjoy. If this was left over after a party, I'd make them disappear, but I would never use my hard earned cash for this brew.

LaymanReviews, Jun 17, 2011
2.38/5  rDev +40.8%

This used to be a staple for me during my first 3 years at central. Having some I found in my friends fridge.
This beer is cheap but it lacks taste and what it has is a very inoffensive corn/rice taste. So to sum it up it goes down easy and gets you drunk as long as you have no expectations.

beerandcycling88, May 15, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +104.1%

for what it is, a cheap relatively high abv macro lager, its not bad. i like that there is almost no smell, weak taste of malt, and clean finish. this is my beer of choice for floating the river. good for a hot (95+ ) day.

Now if i was comparing this to a good quality craft beer id probably give it a D-.

pm5k00, May 13, 2011
1.73/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into a frozen mug to reach optimal temp. Large white head dissipates like soda.

Smells of a typical adjuct beer with a very hint of cascade hops but it's barley there.

There not much taste in the middle. Malty sweet with a enough hops to barley know they put them in. You could chug the hell out of this however. Good beer to get drunk off of fast without having to tast much. I do prefer this over a Bud I must say. Plenty of carbonation here.

The finish leaves a mouthfeel that coats your mouth and makes you want to spit a lot. Over all I'm not impressed but somebody left it in my fridge and I wouldn't let one go to waste.

GreenJetta912, Apr 25, 2011
2.05/5  rDev +21.3%

12oz can
Served in a pint glass

A - It poured straw yellow with an inch of white head.

S - The aroma is alcohol, grain, and grass.

T - Not good. The alcohol comes through with the typical sweetness of an adjunct lager.

M - Watery with some carbonation bite.

O - I stopped at a gas station and looked for the highest ABV. Not a lot of options.

buschbeer, Apr 22, 2011
2.2/5  rDev +30.2%

Dude, brah. You gotta try this beer, yo. It's the best thing since backwards neon baseball caps. Wait a minute, no it's not. I almost forgot that I'm a reasonable human being.

OK, seriously. Its head disappeared within a couple seconds of pouring. Never seen that happen before. It poured a clear bright yellow. I thought it smelled strongly of green apples. The mouthfeel is that of high carbonation. It tastes like bread, essentially. I was surprised to find that it tasted more of bread than corn or of alcohol. The aftertaste is almost the same as the aftertaste after you've eaten a slice of an 89 cent loaf of "wheat" bread. So, for the price, it's ALMOST worth it. One problem: it gives me terrible heartburn before I've ever finished the can! Never experienced that with any other beer before. I've had problems with heartburn before, but never before finishing a single can of beer. Not sure what's in this stuff that causes such a problem, but for me that makes it not worth paying ANY money for. A good alternative: Big Flats 1901. It has more flavour, doesn't feel weird in your throat or stomach, and is CHEAPER! Yes, I said cheaper. Hard to beat that logic.

ElCommodoro, Apr 05, 2011
1.73/5  rDev +2.4%

Obtained a small four ounce pour from my father who was downing them and then crushing them on his head.
Pours a very light straw yellow color with a thick white head and no lacing. Smells of sweet corn and maybe rice. Tastes very light with no bitterness and a lot of corn. Mouthfeel is thin and watery and has a very heavy carbonation. Overall, pretty nasty.

TheKingofWichita, Mar 31, 2011
2.23/5  rDev +32%

Appearance is golden yellow when poured out with a thin looking layer of white foam that dissipates very quickly.

Smells like corn, and not much else other than a faint chemical sort of a smell.

Taste follows the nose, corny sweetness and a water-down yet harsh forwardness of astringentcy in the flavor. Not very good at all.

The mouthfeel of this beer is like most any cheap, bad light adjunct lager: light and heavy on the carbonation; like soda water.

I do fine this pretty easy to tolerate drinking, but the nasty astringent flavors in there lead me to believe drinking too many of these would be quite regrettable later on.

Tundruth, Feb 16, 2011
1.83/5  rDev +8.3%

I will admit ice beer sucks and is the lowest/scummiest form of beer possible, at least in America where they make this stuff to increase .5-1% more alcohol. Anyway, I buy a brand of this every 6 months because it's the cheapest $4.68 for a six pack of 16 oz'ers.

sering type: can. the only way it comes I think? cheap beer should be canned and cheap beer is awesome!
appearance: i always drink from can, sorrys.
smell: yucky adjunct, man made and radioactive. ;)
taste: not right.
mouthfeel: carbonation that fades away into bubbles that linger.
drinkability: pretty good. Never drank a sixer of this which could be toxic and very hangoverable but cheap beer is always drinkable for me it seems like. if I was sad I'd seek out a bunch of cheap beer over six packs of craft brews any day. If craft brews were free though it would be craft brews. RICH PEOPLE'S MONEY!

p.s. they've updated the can since the profile pic here was taken. now it's upside down to conceal your shame that others will see the swill you're intaking. cheers.

ELN, Feb 08, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Another Ice, I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.

A: The pour is like pretty much any other adjunct lager, clear light golden color with a white head that ends up being nothing more than a thin layer.

S: Cooked vegetables right away, I'm thinking string beans and asparagus. Some nice corn notes along with a mild graininess. A decent alcohol presence as well.

T: This beer is harsh. Abrasively alcoholic without much else (flavor-wise) to cover it up. Some hints of corn and perhaps some grain sweetness.

M: The body is light and the carbonation is very high.

D: Ice tends to be synonymous with "horrendous" in terms of beer and this can did nothing to change that.

womencantsail, Oct 22, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -20.1%

I must admit I have never seen Keystone Ice poured into a glass; I've only had it from the can. But from the taste and similar beers, I'm going to guess it does not look very impressive. But I don't care about that. I care about the taste and wow was Keystone Ice repulsive. I struggled to get one 16 oz can down.

The taste is watered down and flat, and to make matters worse, the aftertaste and "mouthfeel" are bitter. I don't trust ice beer at all.

Keystone Ice just really doesn't get along with my palette, I guess. It is a beer I will never buy again. If its free and the only option, then I'll definitely be the D.D. for the night.

chadjulius, Sep 07, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +129.6%

Another example of the style found in Plattsburgh, NY.

Pours a mild golden color with a thin head into my pint glass. Head was initially bigger but faded quick.

Aroma equals a strong whiff of sweet malt with corn on the nose. Again, this is nothing new for the style.

Taste is much like it says on the can (smooth) with just a hint of sweet malt and corn upfront. Inoffensive and to the style I suppose.

Mouthfeel is quite clean with only a hint of sweet malt. No offensive flavors. To the point.

Either my palate now welcomes the style or I'm starting to find examples that seem to fit it best. As cheap as this is, I already prefer it to Natty Ice (it is an ice beer after all). There's a beer for all income brackets and though this is not as cheap as Mountain Brew Ice, it is just as tasty.

Brad007, Aug 28, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

So he goes for another mixed sixer of the best of the worst from the grocery store this weekend. I grabbed six more "gems" and did my best to get them all down. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/22/2010.

this had to be the worst of the batch by far. poured out a nearly clear, overcarbonated pale golden yellow with a fizzy white head that faded out in mere seconds.

light aroma of corn and grain goes nowhere, really just goes nowhere and has no substance to it at all. watery feel has barely any depth to it at all, really just a light, watery, carbonated fizzy beverage. no aftetaste and only the slightest touches of light grian.

overall i found this to be a total waste. i found more taste in an odouls.

mikesgroove, Aug 23, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -18.3%

Yellow, small head dissipates quickly. Not much carbonation.
Smells very cheap, grainy, stale.
Unpleasent tasing, watery.
Feels like its flat.
Hard to drink beer. Very cheap and somewhat strong. Im having a very hard time drinking this beer. Avoid definately!

dditto2, Aug 11, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Bought this from a gas station in a 24 oz can. This is quite bad. Please do not drink not even at a frat party.

A: The beer is fresh according to the born on date. Poured with no head I mean zilch. Very uneven carbonation due to forced carbonation instead of priming. Golden straw color is the only appealing thing.

S: Smells alcohol laden, astringent, and like creamed corn. Not yummy.

T:Metallic, cooked veggies, booze, and...wait for it corn! Hop bitterness and balance are not there. Very malty sweet and corny.

M: Like cough medicine. This is fairly painful to drink.

D: I poured it out to spare my self the calories. I will not have another not even for beer pong and flip cup.

bigrzman, Aug 02, 2010
1.05/5  rDev -37.9%

There aren't many beers that I've had in my life that I can't at least drink, whether or not I enjoy them. This dear readers is one fatal exception. To follow the community guidelines for reviews, I will hold off on bashing this beer until I get into the review. Let me assure you however, before we begin, that there is only one redeeming quality to this awful stuff.
As far as appearance, I had this stuff at poker night in college so it's hard to tell the appearance of a beer in a red plastic cup. However on the pour there was almost no head except for some oily looking foam clinging in sparse areas of the surface of my beer and the color of the pour was very similar to say...well lets just say this beer must have been dehydrated and taking its B vitamins cause it looked and smelled like it. The mouthfeel is initially no different than any other macro brew, which is to say there isn't much of anything going on here. On the finish it seems to mutate into something altogether different, leaving a funky coating on the palate and a bit of a sharp bite in the back of the throat (that could be the vodka they're pouring in this stuff to up the alcohol content...not seriously by the way...but it feels like it). The taste is only what can be described as unbearable, although I did bear it that night and succeeded in getting pretty hammered off the stuff (is its one redeeming quality) which leads me to the point I am today. One of my college buddies bought a case of it and after opening the can I knew I wouldn't be able to pull another night off with this one. I literally swallowed a chug of the beer and it immediately reversed directions and...well you can imagine. I'm just glad I was close to the trash can.

BigBen61, Jul 22, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -29%

A- Pale golden with white head that lasted 5 seconds

S- corn, metallic, rice, husk.

T- Same as smell, but with a tinge of bitterness to it. Not hoppy bitterness, mostly carbonation induced and mineral induced.

M- Filmy and feel like I ate rotten eggs

D- How can people drink this? I gave this a 2.0 drink ability rating because its a "damn it I wanna die so lets get drunk chug this sucker" type of beer.

GNR4life2, Jul 09, 2010
1.8/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pale golden with white head that was seriously gone before i raised it to my lips.
S- corn, metallic, rice, husk.
M- Thin, and overcarbed.
D- A rare example of where the light version is distinguishably better than the non-light.

jsprain1, Jun 30, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +80.5%

I poured a 24 oz can into a glass mug.

The beer had a nice head that disappeared after awhile. no lacing at all. Had a nice golden straw color.

Other than smelling a little sour you couldn't really smell anything else.

It tastes ok. Kind of watered down. cant taste any malt or hops.

It was too bubbly, seemed over-carbonated.

You can drink this stuff, it's not bad for the price but, it's definately not anything special, what would you expect thoough?

JMad, May 23, 2010
1.23/5  rDev -27.2%

Another beer in the series of Adjunct Lager Tasting. Poured into a pint glass at 35 degrees.

Appearance: A foamy white three finger white head that has poor retention. The color of the beer is a light straw color with yellow hues. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is brilliant. The head disappeared after a couple of minutes in the glass, nothing remained.

Nose: A very faint corn, rice and barley note. There is a very light corn sweetness and fruity esters in the background of the beer. It was a little hard to get the aromas in the beer, since they are not very aromatic.

Taste: A very light rice and barley flavor. There are notes of floral esters and corn sweetness. There is odd flavor in the finish kinda tinny and sour. There are very unpleasant and make it hard to drink.

The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, dry, and slightly astringent.

Overall: The body of the beer is light and the finish is medium. There is really odd meat flavor in the the finish of the beer, making it unpleasant and a drain pour.

colts9016, May 18, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +105.9%

Keystone Ice is a mild-tasting and enjoyable beer to have. It has a thick, white head and is very carbonated. Aroma is faint to nonexistent. Mouth-feel is medium and watery. The taste is slightly sweet, and Keystone Ice has a smooth, crisp finish. The comforting and relatively high alcohol level (5.9%) is quite noticeable on an empty stomach. Overall, this is a good beer, and should be especially pleasing in the warmer months. I'd recommend it with spicy seafood, such as boiled crabs.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, May 16, 2010
1.18/5  rDev -30.2%

This beer didn't taste like anything. Literally, it tasted and smelled like absolutely nothing.

Some people are saying it smells skunked, corn-like, etc. I couldn't smell a thing or taste a thing.

It had a ring of white, which I guess was its head and had the carbonation and mouthfeel of a soda.

This is one for if you just want to get really trashed and don't care about beer at all. If you want a bit of alcohol in water then here's your beer.

phillipzayas, Apr 19, 2010