Blue Moon Honey Moon Summer Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: pmcadamis on 05-05-2007)
Reviews by AndIWantYou:
AndIWantYou

Washington

2.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Wait, isn't witbier supposed to be, you know, "wit"? And maybe opaque? This isn't--it's a translucent sickly yellow color with no real head to speak of. Bubbles nicely for a while. Smells vaguely of honey, but I'm not sure I would have picked up on it without being told. Tastes a little more like honey and average pale lager type beer. Has a pretty nice, refreshing mouthfeel--somewhere between spring and summer if you know what I mean. Despite having very little to recommend it, I could actually drink a few of these on a hot day. That's about all it's good for, though.

05-09-2007 23:42:29 | More by AndIWantYou
wesbrownyeah

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Honey Moon by Coors, 5.6% alcohol.

A- Nice light golden pour with a decent quarter inch head that fall into a frothy top with good laceing left behind on the glass.

S- Upfront is honeysuckle-like scent with a following wheaty aroma. Also maybe a mild touch of grains.

T- Very sweet honey notes at first then wheat flavors kick in. Well balanced with mild hop bitterness that helps.

M-D- Smooth mouthfeel almost like very lightly cabonated water on the tongue. I could consume alot if they were around.

06-02-2009 05:09:29 | More by wesbrownyeah
newcastleme

3.53/5  rDev +14.6%

While not as heavy as its older brother, Blue Moon. I really enjoyed this beer. It is incredibly drinkable and leaves a wonderful after taste. It's very smooth with a slightly sweet aftertaste. The coloring isn't as deep but it's quite lovely. I highly recommend it.

08-04-2010 19:58:40 | More by newcastleme

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

08-13-2012 19:21:23 | More by danthehopslamman
sellmeagod

2.85/5  rDev -7.5%

There was a time when I would find this to be a regular drinkable beer, but things have changed and made the sweet/wheat combination taste a little much for me on this one.

The yellow bottle and "honey" title should let you know what's going on and it isn't wonderful tho it is technically sweet. It feels alright, smells alright, and drinks alright, so that's passable for a seasonable although it doesn't come close to making me feel relaxed and summery. This beer cuts corners to preserve the honey, which is lame.

09-05-2010 19:27:44 | More by sellmeagod
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.98/5  rDev -3.2%

My wife likes these beers, so I thought I'd give this one a try. It turned out to be a bit lacking. It was a mostly clear, but maybe a little hazy, golden color. Small white head. It had a sweet aroma, which on tasting I thought must be honey. It was overly sweet, and not a beer I'd want to drink a lot of.

04-19-2009 22:14:09 | More by lordofthewiens
marvin213

2.58/5  rDev -16.2%

The big, fizzy bubbles are most notable in the look; otherwise, it looks like a pale yellow, watery macro. Minimal marks are made as the liquid moves and, quite frankly, it ain't much to look at.

A beer (I thought) with honey, and I can't smell it? I truly was neutral--maybe even positively skewed before I began this--but now I'm really getting nervous. I recognize the brewer and all, but it actually smells like a (gulp) Coors!

The taste is considerably better than expected. I do detect some sort of honeyish sweetness. Still, I'm not writing home about it. I can imagine the figurative beat-down coming from this, but Blue Moon was--and still is--among my higher ranked Belgian-style beers. I've just failed to develop the palate appreciation for Belgian yeast. I don't really like pale malts or, consequently, pale ales either, but just that lil' hint of honey-type sweetness will carry it just past average. If water is our baseline taste, this is like sugar water (with alcohol).

Nothing's really happening on the mouthfeel. It's carbonated--so does that mean it's fresh? I really remembered more of a pleasant honeyness. This one's been sitting in the back of my fridge for a while--maybe a month or two--but I really wouldn't expect that that's the problem. It's just not very good.

I really thought I kinda liked this beer. I'll try it again, and I should vow to edit this if I've somehow ruined this beer...with refrigerator light--is that possible? Where the sweetness aided the taste, it hurts the drinkability. Sugar water might have its place (ridding hiccups, perhaps), but I'll try someone else's before I consider buying this one again.

08-23-2009 19:04:36 | More by marvin213
generallee

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%

Presentation: It was poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a hazy golden straw color with a big foamy white head that hangs out and leaves nice lace on the glass.

Smell: The aroma has a touch of sweet wheat malt and honey with a hint of orange peel.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor has a mild wheat presence with as noticeable sweet honey character. Orange citrus and mild hop bitterness add to the crisp refreshing character. Its light to medium bodied with average carbonation and it has a slightly sweet finish.

Notes: It's not overly complex but it gives you a refreshing simple quick hit of flavor on a hot summer day.

06-14-2008 15:28:33 | More by generallee

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

12-09-2011 17:07:45 | More by iemailjack
Jason

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz brown twist off bottle with a best before freshness date printed on the bottle. "Ale brewed with honey and orange peel" is stated on the label.

A- Fluffy white head, retention is solid and a few rings of lace on the glass. Very mild haze off of a bubbly golden color.

S- Hint of spicy wheat and sweet honey.

T&M- Very crisp and smooth with a velvety light body. The honey flavor is a bit forced to start but then a graininess, meek hop bitterness and orange peel help to balance that out. The wheat character is timid and the palate is nearly wet or even on the thin side. Finishes with a slight sweetness from the honey.

D- Decent, drinkable though the honey character did start getting to me after one bottle. I'll stick to their white ale even if this seasonal comes out again.

06-27-2007 01:53:22 | More by Jason
Billolick

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

12 ouncer, with "Oct2807" imprinted on the bottle. Pours clear, medium golden, off white head showing decent retention, bubbles rising and leaving better then moderate lacing. Sugary, tropical fruit nose. The problems begin here when it is consumed. Slightly metalic and bland brew. Where is the wheat, yeast and flavor? Honey? Orange? Spice? Pass this one by, boycott macros trying to look micro...the regular Blue Moon wit is 5 times better then this lame offering...

06-25-2007 20:25:58 | More by Billolick
nem2006

3.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured a mostly clear, golden with a nice head and great head retention. There was good carbonation visible.

It smelled sweet from the honey as well as citrusy from being a wheat beer and also from the orange peels.

It tastes like many other hefeweizens except it is filtered (a little cut back on the crispness) and is a little sweeter from the added honey.

This is overall, a good summer brew.

08-20-2008 15:40:43 | More by nem2006
MisterDeeds

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a light golden hay color, with minimal carbonation. The head disappears faster than a mushroom dealer at a Phish concert.

Not much to the aroma. I was expecting a sweet honey odor to dominate, but it seems pretty clean with a bit of lemon and wheat.

Tastes pretty decent, and I have to admit I was a bit surprised. Starts off with a lemon zest bite and finishes nice and tart, with a bit of the lemon balancing with a wheaty yeasty flavor. Maybe I'm not totally sure what honey tastes like, but I'm not picking up too much here, and that may not be a bad thing.

Mouthfeel is all carbonation, and seems to take a bit of the taste away. Too bad.

A fairly drinkable brew from our friends in Colorado. It won't give Gumballhead a run for it's money, but I wouldn't turn it away either.

04-06-2009 01:45:41 | More by MisterDeeds
tigg924

2.38/5  rDev -22.7%

Had on tap at the Cedarville BBC

Appearance: gold in color, 1/4 inch head, clear, high carbonation

Smell: honey and grain

Taste: the honey bursts out at the beginning and lasts well to the end, there is also grass and hops

Mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation, sweet start that slowly becomes bitter

Drinkability: This tastes like a bad pilsner mixed with honey. I appreciate Blue Moon, but this beer is a one and done for me. The sweetness is borderline cloying at times and does not mix well.

09-01-2010 13:44:49 | More by tigg924
Mora2000

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

The beer pours a clear golden yellow color with a white head. The aroma is grain and wheat with some grass from the hops mixed in. I don't get any honey in the aroma. The flavor is somewhat bland. I get a lot of wheat notes as well as quite a bit of sugar, possibly from the honey. I also get a little bit of a honey flavor. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

06-23-2011 01:42:05 | More by Mora2000
LyonsHead

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

A: pale yellow with thin white head. no real lacing

S: honey and wheat

T: honey at first, followed by very mellow wheat and hops. there is a citrusy character throughout

M: light body and on the thinner side

D: just okay for me, probably won't go out of my way for another one.

06-10-2009 21:19:51 | More by LyonsHead
mattster

3.63/5  rDev +17.9%

Opened 12 fluid ounce bottle (08/03/08 expiration) and poured into Nonic glass.

Pours a foamy 2" head that holds at about 1", with heavy lacing on glass. Brew is hazy light gold color.

Smell is somewhat malty, light honey. Taste is of honey as well as wheat - a bit bread like, but not too bad. I'm not a huge Blue Moon Fan, but this is probably the best product I've had of theres. Has a nice mouth feel; Slight aftertaste, but overall decent finish. pretty nice summer brew.

03-30-2008 08:34:18 | More by mattster
Hugh37

Tennessee

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

08-17-2013 00:34:26 | More by Hugh37
kingcrowing

Vermont

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

1/2 keg poured into many pints.

For a macro beer, it's quite good. Pours a very light clear pale gold. Just a small head that dissipates quickly. No lacing at all. No hop or malt aroma, a tiny bit wheaty and some sweet honey notes, not too much here.

Flavor is similar to the nose, really just a bit of honey, enough to mask the normal blue moon flavor. Very easy to drink though, much better than your standard American adjunct lager. I was getting free pints so that also didn't hurt.

Not worth seeking out, but a slightly better option than regular BMC beer.

09-07-2009 18:10:20 | More by kingcrowing
Cynic-ale

08-01-2013 01:50:53 | More by Cynic-ale
Dello

08-09-2014 17:27:57 | More by Dello
sarahspat

1.8/5  rDev -41.6%

Looks a shade darker than standard adjunct lager yellow. Head can be huge with a firm pour, but fades to nothing quickly and leaves no lacing either.

Smells like an adjunct lager... honey and some faint whiffs of coriander, too.

It seems strange, but honey is by far the most prominent flavor. This beer is cloyingly, artificially sweet. The spices do not complement the other flavors at all. Whenever I got a hint of the coriander-like spice that seemed to hover in the background, it just seemed out of place... and just gross, to be honest. None of the flavors go well together here. Horrible, horrible beer. I couldn't taste any orange at all. Honey Moon pretty much tastes like an adjunct lager with a lot of honey (and I mean a LOT) and a weird concoction of spices added. An abomination even for an American Pale Wheat Ale, and it gets even worse as it warms.

The carbonation is too weak and the mouthfeel comes across almost syrupy because of how inappropriately sweet it is.

07-05-2009 15:42:53 | More by sarahspat