Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Blue Moon Honey Moon Summer Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Honey Moon Summer AleBlue Moon Honey Moon Summer Ale

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: pmcadamis on 05-05-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Honey Moon Summer Ale Alström Bros
1.26/5  rDev -59.5%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint glass.

A: Pee yellow. The only way to describe it and the only thing I thought of when drinking it.

S: It smelled like it had gone bad. Sour with a hint of sweaty socks.

T: I did not taste honey at all. Perhaps the pelt of a bee but no honey.

M: Uninspired. The carbonation kept it afloat but the lack of any taste did not inspire me to keep this in my mouth longer than I had to.

D: I would not get another one. The smell and taste were and bad and there is certainly no honey taste in this at all

1.36/5  rDev -56.3%

I have been a member of this site for quite some time, and the only reason I chose to review this particular beer was to inform the masses as to how horrendous this beer is.

I must admit, my introduction to Belgian beer came way of Blue Moon, and I absolutely loved that beer. Ironic, since it's really an American interpretation of the real thing. It made me try the originals, such as Westmalle, Hoegaarden, and so on.

Onto the review:
Appearance - Not too bad; a opaque blonde/brown combination.

Smell - Quite a sweet smell. How misleading.

Taste - I cannot explain it. All I know, is that it made me want to hurl.

Mouthfeel - Not good. Minimal carbination. That doesn't bode well for this kind of beer.

Drinkability - THE last time I will ever have this one, and I have five more to go! Anyone want to buy 'em off me?

1.62/5  rDev -47.9%

hints of orange with tons of SUCK, this is by far the worst summer beer i have ever had, this has hints of corn and leaves an after taste that leaves somthing to be disered. i wouldent wish this peace of crap on even my worst enimeys. SUCK, SUCK, SUCK AND DID I MENTION SUCK!!!

1.78/5  rDev -42.8%

Pours a hazy pale yellow color with a thick rocky white head that sticks around awhile and some lacing. Smells of wheat gluten and some sweetness and maybe some orange peel. Taste is terrible. Bitterness blended with sparkling water. Terrible beer. Mouthfeel is thin. And drinkability is poor because flavor is terrible.

1.82/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks a shade darker than standard adjunct lager yellow. Head can be huge with a firm pour, but fades to nothing quickly and leaves no lacing either.

Smells like an adjunct lager... honey and some faint whiffs of coriander, too.

It seems strange, but honey is by far the most prominent flavor. This beer is cloyingly, artificially sweet. The spices do not complement the other flavors at all. Whenever I got a hint of the coriander-like spice that seemed to hover in the background, it just seemed out of place... and just gross, to be honest. None of the flavors go well together here. Horrible, horrible beer. I couldn't taste any orange at all. Honey Moon pretty much tastes like an adjunct lager with a lot of honey (and I mean a LOT) and a weird concoction of spices added. An abomination even for an American Pale Wheat Ale, and it gets even worse as it warms.

The carbonation is too weak and the mouthfeel comes across almost syrupy because of how inappropriately sweet it is.

1.84/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A- clear golden yellow with an expansive although short lived cap of loose generic lookin white foam about the same in appearance as coors light but with double the staying power. lots of medium sized bubbles rise up from the bottom. a couple tiny patches of lace hang on to the glass.

S- smells like coors light with honey and a touch of orange zest. pale malts, a little bit of thick wheat vapor and nothing more. maybe coriander which i don't think is even in there. i'm building a conspiracy theory...

T- honey sweetness from start to finish. taste is again... coors light. i know the silver bullet well, and this honeymoon definitely contains some rocky mountain coldness. orange peel is pretty much non existant even to give a quick au revoir at the finish like the label promises.

MF- about as full bodied as coors banquet beer and somewhat syrupy thanks to you, honey. sticky lippy and sugary cheeky as well. beatch.

D- not an enjoyable brew for me. too sweet and sugary to be thirst quenching and would probably make me feel like shit if i chugged one on a hot day. similarities to coors light in every category lead me to this conclusion-- master brewers in golden colorado, high in the rocky mountains where trains fly and chicks ski in bikinis, found themselves with an overabundance of clover honey due global warming and the invasion of africanized honeybees. rocky mountain scientists discovered that killer bees can only be killed by... you guessed it, a silver bullet. not wanting the sugary gold to be wasted, it was loaded onto a flying train and transported back to the brewery. the formula is as follows: 9 parts coors light, 2 parts blue moon belgian white ale, 1part clover honey. stir vigorously. and the code has been broken.

1.89/5  rDev -39.2%

Poured a bright golden yellow with a super thick foamy white head, good lacing and lots of retention.

Smell was sweet honey and yeast notes.

Taste was a thin light malt body with a heavy honey flavor a touch of yeast and pepper, very sweet with just a hint of trace hops.

Mouthfeel was light and thin.

To much honey sweetness for my taste, and not enough beer taste.

1.97/5  rDev -36.7%

Like a bad lager mixed with some honey syrup. My first impression of Honey Moon was that it doesn't really taste like beer. It's more like a really bad light cider mixed with artificial honey. The honey flavor really isn't all bad, but the grainy off-flavored malt and non-existent hops kill it for me. I'd like to give it a lower score, at least compared to real beers and the style, but it's definitely not at quite the depths of something like cheap malt liquor. The aroma is disappointingly weak. The appearance is poor at best. The beer is an odd color, a light sickly yellow, with an awful fizzy head that immediately dissipates to nothing. I generally don't care about appearance, but some of these big mass-produced beers look very odd, especially the sweet ones. The feel is way more cloying than it should be, particularly for a beer made with honey. Drinkability is low, but I can get through a glass when it's cold. A pretty bad beer.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance- a clear yellow with moderate bubbles, slightly white foam head off the pour, very plain in appearance

Smell- lemon citrus smells, slight wheat, clove, orange and a bit of honey on the nose, strong citrus wheat dominates

Taste- lots of wheat and citrus, orange lemon and clove, with a wierd spiceness to it, I found slightly strange finish, overally strange lemon and wheat flavor, odd to me mostly, not impressive

Mouthfeel- heavy smooth and soft

Drinkabilty- Unenjoyable to me not one I will be lookin for again just to much of that fake citrus flavor to me and to much sweet honey, couldnt imagine having more then one of these with the odd after flavor it has on the finish

2.02/5  rDev -35%

"Hey try this one...we just got it on." That's what the bartender said right before he told me he can't give it away.

Looks good so it can't be that bad, right? It filled the glass with the typical hazy yellow-straw color I would expect. Nice head that even left some lacing.

The aroma was sickly sweet. I got the honey, wheat, some spices...but the sweetness was way to strong and there was a bit of sourness to go along. Weird.

The flavor explains why they can't give it away. It tasted like a bad bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Sweet, sour, cinnamon...it's all here. Like the milk went bad sitting in the bowl too long.

Average mouthfeel. I don't see how anyone could finish this one. Way to sweet for me.

2.1/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best by date of Sept 07 into a pint glass. It had a slightly pale yellow color. I gave a hard pour and got a pretty big head that stuck around for a bit. Good carb with slight lacing. The aroma was punch in the face honey with a slight hint of orange peel in the back. The taste was also dominated by honey. I think I would have liked this is it had been a beer with some honey highlights since I love honey but this is basically a glass of honey with a little beer thrown in to make it flow out of the glass better. By the end the honey is just too much to take and I had to choke down the last third just to avoid a drain pour. Avoid this one. (1.5, NA, ML, N)

2.18/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours a rather clear amber/golden with a 2 finger head. Head stayed for a bit, the vanished, never to be seen again. Still, it looked ok at first.
Smell of sweet malt, old malt, and a touch of honey. Yep, honey. A bit odd, especially for a summer beer. Nothing Blue Moon about this.
Taste starts with a tinge of honey, then stale malt, some sweetness and ick. This is not a good beer. The flavor is weak, the feel is thin, yet it's aftertaste is musky.
Bad offering from Blue Moon. This is not a good summer beer, or a good beer in general.

2.18/5  rDev -29.9%

Clear gold with a head more akin to 7up.

Weak, pale barley is the dominant flavor with an odd lemon Pledge note right before a tannic, slightly off finish.

I'm growing tired of all these pseudo-craft BMC endeavors. Leave the brewing to the real craftsmen and go back to your chemistry experiments.

2.23/5  rDev -28.3%

I usually don't write hater posts (check my stats), but I thought this beer was pretty gross for the first few sips. It improves as it warms up, though. Looks nice enough -- cloudy gold with good carbonation leaving a sudsy head and chunks of white foam at first, which fades to a wispy head and lace. Smells decent -- maybe a touch metallic, but I get the honey, the grain, the grassy hop. It has promise.

Why doesn't it taste better? Starts off like a nice creamsicle, peaks as a honey wheat, and ends as phenolic icky. The mouthfeel is wholly unsatisfying. It's got a light-to-mid body, but the finish is terrible. I think they were trying to dry it out to make it "refreshing" like the bottle promises, but I think they just gave up on the hops. Any spicy finishing hop would give this the little bite it needs. As it is, I almost poured it out. Almost. How did this clear the focus groups, MillerCoors?

2.26/5  rDev -27.3%

This appears a clear golen color in my pint glass. It has an average light tan head. The nose has grainy wheat malts with a touch of clover honey. The taste has a light wheat flavor with an unbalanced sweet honey presence. A clean crisp body goes down well. A good drinker, but nothing special.

2.3/5  rDev -26%

A - Amber/red body active carbonation, almost non-existant head.

S - Apple, Orange, barely detectable bread.

T - Apples and citrus, slight wheat. Mostly watered down version of a pale wheat. Like a Blue Moon light with a twist of orange.

M - laughably thin, almost unpalatable.

D - not an impressive offering. I won't have this again if I can help it.

2.31/5  rDev -25.7%

Alright, time to clear out my stash of written notes!

A- Light straw with about an inch of white head; poor head retention.

S- Cinnamon sugar and some pale malt along with some kind of metallic aroma.

T- More cinnamon sugar (I'm surprised that's not an ingredient), some nondescript sweetness (honey?); the spicy flavor is ok, but the malt clashes with the spices; it's kind of sour and reminiscent of a poorly done tripel.

M- Thin and fizzy, although it's a half-step above your typical macro.

D- Eh, I don't really want more.

Unimpressive all around; thankfully I didn't pay for this. Not very good (although not incredibly surprising) and definitely not recommended.

2.31/5  rDev -25.7%

A - Pours with half a finger of white foam on top of a very clear, golden colored body with a vigorous column of bubbles rising to the surface. The head settles down rapidly and leaves little lace.

S - Grainy malt and a hint of herbal hops with some weird, honey/artificial sweetener thing going on in the background.

T - Wheat and odd tasting, sweet malt up front. The honey comes in towards the middle with some spicy, herbal qualities. Things finish up with more thin, sweet malt and light herbal hop flavor and bitterness.

M - Medium-thin body, moderately high carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - Not very good. I will say that I don't actively dislike regular Blue Moon, but from what I have experienced, their seasonals really do suck epically. The malt is thin and somehow manages to taste strange and kind of artificial. This was one of the few truly drain pour worthy beers that I have ever encountered.

2.38/5  rDev -23.5%

Original Rating Date:
July 27, 2008

Pours like a summer ale should, but I expected a bit more on the nose. Flavor of a typical summer ale, malty with a strong honey punch that lives up to the name. Spicy, citrusy. However, this beer is crippled by a biting, stinging carbonation. Way too much carbonation in this beer kills mouthfeel and puts the flavor in the backseat.

2.39/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured into my Rare Vos glass. Very active carbonation rises quickly through the golden yellow liquid. Very slight haze. Almost a retentive head, but eventually the head falls behind the carbonation and leaves a ring. Not really enjoying the smell of this one: it has that skunked hefeweisen cardboard smell. Other than that, wet wheat and mild hops. Not quite sure what to make of the taste. A sugary-sweet burst of artificial honey flavor at the very beginning falling to a sharp stale wheat beer taste. Metallic aftertaste. I don't mind blue moon, so how did they screw it up so much just by putting fake honey in it? This is the first and will be the last 6'er I buy of this stuff.

2.4/5  rDev -22.8%

If you enjoy sweet, sweet beer with little overall flavor, than this is the beer for you. I knew that a honey beer would be sweet, but this is a little extreme. A honey wheat leaves this thing tasting (and looking) like corn syrup in your mouth.

This beer has no discernible flavor to set it above other summer seasonal offerings. I think that's about it, really there is nothing to distinguish this beer, and I'm having a hard time remembering it, even as I sip away on one.

2.41/5  rDev -22.5%

A - A light straw color with a decent looking white head that had poor retention and no lacing. Not bad looking for a light brew, although a little darker color and some lacing would have went a long way.

S - Touch of orange, massive amounts of honey. Lot of grain malts.

T - Honey bomb, I don't get a ton of orange in this at all except maybe a tiny bit of citrus bite in this on the end. Sweet malts and honey, not a whole lot more to it thatn this.

M - Very lite, carbonation bite is present.

D - Thought this was an easy drinker at first, but became so sweet I started having trouble with the 12 oz bottle.

2.41/5  rDev -22.5%

Appearance: light gold, great clarity, thin layer of pure-white froth that shrinks to a crown

Aroma: very light honey, orange extract, and wheat; barely detectable

Flavor: sugary sweetness with hints of malt, honey, and orange-peel tea; a bit cloying with no balancing hop character; finishes semisweet with a honey throat lozenge aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, prickly carbonation, crisp

Other comments: Just as insipid as Blue Moon. No surprise here.

2.41/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured a straw yellow into a tall glass. Little head retention or maybe just my glass's fault. Who knows. However not impressed altogether with this particular brew. Maybe its the slight sourness that I am not very fond of that makes me think this way. A very drinkable beer for a hot summer day, but then again I think that every beer is very drinkable. I guess I was expecting more out of this one, regardless I am surprised that my local grocery store actually had it.

2.41/5  rDev -22.5%

"Happiness consists of living each day as if it were the first day of your honeymoon and the last day of your vacation."

Crystalline amber with a drop or two of orange juice. Given that Honey Moon is a witbier (or is it?), I expected something more pale and more cloudy. Expect for the slightly bolder hue, it looks disturbingly like a macro lager. The beautiful cap of polished eggshell more than makes up for the beer's shortcomings. It has a wonderfully sticky texture and is leaving loads of good looking lace.

I might like the nose... if I could smell something. I was looking forward to seeing what Coors (excuse me, Blue Moon Brewing Company) could do with a 'witbier' that uses clover honey and orange peel, but no coriander. Too bad I can't appreciate much at all. Maybe a whiff of honey, but I never would have been able to make that call if I had been ingredient ignorant.

Honey Moon Summer Ale is not good beer. Honey comes through loud and clear, with citrus peel (lemon as much as orange) a distant second. I'm pretty sure this is the most honey-like ale that I've had yet. In other words, if you aren't a fan, don't bother. I like honey, but I'm not thrilled with the way it comes across here.

I think the biggest problem is an overly grainy base beer. Pale malt and malted white wheat shouldn't be too hard to screw up. This is one of those beers that will turn five degrees of nasty if it's allowed to warm up. Coriander might have been able to cover up a few of the flavor sins, but I doubt that it could have saved the day in the end.

The mouthfeel borders on pathetic. It achieves wateriness well before the swallow and goes downhill from there (if that's even possible). Even the carbonation seems uninterested. That makes two of us.

Blue Moon Honey Moon Summer Ale is a big disappointment. At one time, the original Blue Moon was my highest scoring macro, so I had every right to expect that this beer would be of similar quality. Instead, I find myself recommending a complete overhaul. This honeymoon was over before it even began.

Blue Moon Honey Moon Summer Ale from Coors Brewing Company