Blue Moon Rising Moon Spring Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: armock on 01-12-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Rising Moon Spring Ale Alström Bros

Shango42, Dec 07, 2011

EF4, Mar 04, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -49.2%

edwardkersh, Jan 17, 2012
1.58/5  rDev -46.4%

A- Decent enough amber red color, very clear, medium visible carbonation. 1 1/2 finger head fades quickly to 2/3rds. Thin and bubbly head; eventually thins to a mere one-bubble layer on top.

S- Blech, this is heinous! What the fuck is this smell? Moldy dog park grass sprinkled with lime? Deep adjunct sourness, with more sour artificial lime smell. Without a doubt one of the worst smelling beers I have had the displeasure of encountering. God awful and utterly unredeemable.

T- Sweet and sour. Like a Sour Patch Kid. The sweetness, undoubtedly from the various malts here, the sourness from the adjunct hops and artificial lime syrup. Absolutely no depth or thought here. Vacuous is the best descriptor I can come up with. Very bad tasting, I hate drinking this.

M- More carbonation than most, but surprisingly not seltzer-like. Medium light body with a pretty decent thickness. Fits it's awful taste well, so credit when credit is due I guess.

D- None. Drainpour, and I hope to never see this beer again.

SamN, Mar 18, 2010
1.75/5  rDev -40.7%

i had this from a bottle. poured nicely and had about 1/4" head and nice carbonation. smelled different. some citrus, some malt...?

taste. well fortunately it was not a strong taste because in my opinion what was there was not good. yukky! i left about 9 of the 12 oz in the glass and wondered why i swallowed the 3 that i did. yukky!

i will not get this "bad moon rising" again.

did i say yukky?

giblet

giblet, Mar 26, 2008

mrfrancis, Jul 06, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -40.7%

12 oz. bottle with a label that looks like the other Blue Moon labels, except this one has a picture of a small waterfall located in a Colorado forest next to the big blue moon. The back label has a small paragraph telling the consumer about the beer and the Government warning and barcode below that. If you somehow missed reading the back label, they have the same information around the neck of the bottle. Blue Moon (Coors) really wants you to know about how it's brewed with Kieffer lime leaves and lime peel with Belgian malts. If you look close enough, you'll find a best before date marked where the neck meets the bell of the bottle. Mine was marked best before July 08 07. Poured into a simple pint glass.

This Spring Ale is a light caramel amber color with a thin layer of white bubbly foam that dissipated into a trace of white bubbly rings and lace. Its smell is that of beautiful green pasture during the spring season that has just been recently been burned by a brush fire. I love (hate) the smell of burning green grass in the morning. Once you get past the smoldering green pasture, a hint of toasted malts with a minuscule aroma of lime comes out from the burnt pasture and into your nose. The taste that came out was grassy (not burned grass, regular grass) with malted wheat, burnt hops, a hint of toasted malt, and with the slightest touch of lime peel and lime leaves. You really need to dig deep to detect any kind of lime flavor in this. The mouthfeel was too watery and thin. You could really taste the fine Colorado Mountain spring water in the mouthfeel. It had an aftertaste of burnt hops with a trace of a salted lime peel. I don't think I could ever drink this one again. It was too thin with an aroma of a burned green pasture. If this is the flavor of spring, then I feel sorry for the upcoming spring season.

AltBock, Mar 31, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -39%

I've never seen this before, so I picked some up at the grocery store.

A - A good two finger head shows some orangish tan hues and floats like a pillowy cloud above a light brown/amber brew that is perfectly clear. The head shows good retention and gets fluffy as it recedes to a fat cap. Some light lace coats the glass, and the foam looks like I could blow it away.

S - Hearty cereal malts...like oatmeal. No trace of hops whatsoever. No lime either despite the label.

T - Ah, there it is. This is like a funky corn-based lager with a lemon lime soda mixer. Not much like a red ale at all. More of a "dark" psuedo-micro macro like Amber Bock with a bunch of lime wedges ringed around the rim of the glass.

M - Seltzer water. Limey water and overly aggressive carbonation. The finish leaves a lingering aftertaste of Alka-Seltzer in my mouth.se

D - I really hated this beer during my first one, but I must have had a bad bottle. I liked the second bottle much more than the first. This really isn't that bad. I gave this a 1.4 the first time, and although I'm still not a big fan, I'm upping that score a little bit.

Note: People might really like this, especially non-BAs, but it's not realy my cup of tea. This might be a hit...just look at the Miller Chill phenomenon.

pmcadamis, Mar 05, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -35.6%

This beer pours a clear pale amber color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes into decent lacing. The aroma is of faint caramel malt, and hints of lime. The taste is of lime with hints of malt. The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium bodied with carbonation that is very high and gets in the way of the flavor. Overall, this is one difficult beer to drink. While fruity wheat beers aren't my favorite I can usually appreciate what the brewer is trying to do with the fruit. This beer, however, is too much artifical fruit flavoring, and not enough beer for my liking. I will not drink this again.

KarlHungus, Feb 28, 2009
1.9/5  rDev -35.6%

I'm sorry, russpowell, but I have to disagree.

The beer's appearance is that of a more-tan coors original without the musky smell and aftertaste.

The smell is that of fermented cereal grains with lime rinds added for flavor. Caramel, really? I definetly disagree on that one. There is nothing even malty about this beverage. It might as well be called smirnoff lime.

First of all, I've never heard of caramel hops since I don' think that brewers usually roast the hops opposed to darkening the malts.

Medium bodied? This beer has all the body of a Budweiser select with more carbonation to bite at the tongue. Go drink a Coca-Cola if you like carbonation bite.

This beer works well on niether hot, cold or end of the world day. I'm sorry, but this is a poor example of the Macro companies (achem Coors) trying to force their way into the craft market, but we know better than that. Russpowell, I would suggest trying some Belgium Ales, followed by some dark English Ales followed by some English Russian Imperial Stouts and then tell us about beer flavor. Once again I apologize for my directness, but there must be a standard set lest chaos overtake this site.

tapman, May 18, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -32.9%

It seems that all the mass-produce beer companies beleive that an outbreak of scurvy is eminent, because they want to put citrus fruits in beer. None with great flavor success. This beer begins with a fizzy, then flat appearance with a carbon dioxide bite later. A timid foamstand just doesn't hold out long. The beer is a standard straw color but never impresses. Aromas of grain and acidicy is all I get. Taste of raw cereal grains, faint sweetness and a lime-like acidicy is it. No complexity or variety in flavor. Where the body thins out for ease of drinking, it also weaves in a thin acid-like flavor that, with the grains, become quite astringent. I cannot see myself drinking this one again.

BEERchitect, Feb 24, 2008

Celtics76, Mar 21, 2013

Rocketman8911, Mar 13, 2012

jshusc, Aug 08, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -31.2%

Color: Pours a pale amber color with a one-finger head and some lacing.

Aroma: Malty with a very faint hint of fruit. Not many other flavors I can recognize right off. Sweet. Somewhat of a disappointment.

Taste: Smooth and malty. Somewhat watery and syrupy in the middle. A very faint hint of what's supposed to be lime in the middle.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and undesirable. Too sweet.

Verdict: Mediocre attempt at a spring seasonal. I'm not surprised as I continue to buy Blue Moon products, hoping that one of them will win me over. Unfortunately, that may never be the case.

Brad007, Mar 05, 2008
2.03/5  rDev -31.2%

This beverage pours a clear copper color and has a fizzy light tan head. The nose is mostly of grainy malts. The taste is also quite mild. A bit of grassy malts with faint citrus. A light body has way too much carbonation. This hurts the drinkability as the fizz fights my palate as I drink.

rye726, May 24, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -28.8%

Served cold in a standard pint @ Cobblestone's in York.

A - A crystal clear light amber w/ 1/4 inch of white head that lingers

S - Not much I could muster after 3 vigorous swirls in a smokeless barroom other than light fruit esters.

M -- Nutty in a general sense w/ full bordering on creamy feel from carbonation and a slightly crisp light bodied yet adjunct affected finish.

T - Not much to say honestly, like wonder bread in beer form. I had no expectations thankfully, because I was not let down. The flavor is very light for an amber ale, not very close to a cream ale even. There is not much in common w/ Kolsch type sweet and fruity ale flavors that you may want to see from Coors either. This is slightly sweet and malty but very cereal and rice in the flavor.

The flavor has hints of yeast that are enhancing the light malt flavor, a bit maltier than a wit, yet a lot less flavorful. I couldn't even detect the lime flavoring if there was any in there.

D - A poor attempt at a Kolsch or American amber if this is the case. It has no real 'flavor' to speak of-I would avoid this in the future or maybe try it in bottle form for comparison

Slatetank, Mar 20, 2008