Blue Moon Rising Moon Spring Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: armock on 01-12-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Rising Moon Spring Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 345 | Reviews: 231
1.57/5  rDev -46.8%

A- Decent enough amber red color, very clear, medium visible carbonation. 1 1/2 finger head fades quickly to 2/3rds. Thin and bubbly head; eventually thins to a mere one-bubble layer on top.

S- Blech, this is heinous! What the fuck is this smell? Moldy dog park grass sprinkled with lime? Deep adjunct sourness, with more sour artificial lime smell. Without a doubt one of the worst smelling beers I have had the displeasure of encountering. God awful and utterly unredeemable.

T- Sweet and sour. Like a Sour Patch Kid. The sweetness, undoubtedly from the various malts here, the sourness from the adjunct hops and artificial lime syrup. Absolutely no depth or thought here. Vacuous is the best descriptor I can come up with. Very bad tasting, I hate drinking this.

M- More carbonation than most, but surprisingly not seltzer-like. Medium light body with a pretty decent thickness. Fits it's awful taste well, so credit when credit is due I guess.

D- None. Drainpour, and I hope to never see this beer again.

1.73/5  rDev -41.4%

12 oz. bottle with a label that looks like the other Blue Moon labels, except this one has a picture of a small waterfall located in a Colorado forest next to the big blue moon. The back label has a small paragraph telling the consumer about the beer and the Government warning and barcode below that. If you somehow missed reading the back label, they have the same information around the neck of the bottle. Blue Moon (Coors) really wants you to know about how it's brewed with Kieffer lime leaves and lime peel with Belgian malts. If you look close enough, you'll find a best before date marked where the neck meets the bell of the bottle. Mine was marked best before July 08 07. Poured into a simple pint glass.

This Spring Ale is a light caramel amber color with a thin layer of white bubbly foam that dissipated into a trace of white bubbly rings and lace. Its smell is that of beautiful green pasture during the spring season that has just been recently been burned by a brush fire. I love (hate) the smell of burning green grass in the morning. Once you get past the smoldering green pasture, a hint of toasted malts with a minuscule aroma of lime comes out from the burnt pasture and into your nose. The taste that came out was grassy (not burned grass, regular grass) with malted wheat, burnt hops, a hint of toasted malt, and with the slightest touch of lime peel and lime leaves. You really need to dig deep to detect any kind of lime flavor in this. The mouthfeel was too watery and thin. You could really taste the fine Colorado Mountain spring water in the mouthfeel. It had an aftertaste of burnt hops with a trace of a salted lime peel. I don't think I could ever drink this one again. It was too thin with an aroma of a burned green pasture. If this is the flavor of spring, then I feel sorry for the upcoming spring season.

1.79/5  rDev -39.3%

i had this from a bottle. poured nicely and had about 1/4" head and nice carbonation. smelled different. some citrus, some malt...?

taste. well fortunately it was not a strong taste because in my opinion what was there was not good. yukky! i left about 9 of the 12 oz in the glass and wondered why i swallowed the 3 that i did. yukky!

i will not get this "bad moon rising" again.

did i say yukky?

giblet

1.83/5  rDev -38%

I've never seen this before, so I picked some up at the grocery store.

A - A good two finger head shows some orangish tan hues and floats like a pillowy cloud above a light brown/amber brew that is perfectly clear. The head shows good retention and gets fluffy as it recedes to a fat cap. Some light lace coats the glass, and the foam looks like I could blow it away.

S - Hearty cereal malts...like oatmeal. No trace of hops whatsoever. No lime either despite the label.

T - Ah, there it is. This is like a funky corn-based lager with a lemon lime soda mixer. Not much like a red ale at all. More of a "dark" psuedo-micro macro like Amber Bock with a bunch of lime wedges ringed around the rim of the glass.

M - Seltzer water. Limey water and overly aggressive carbonation. The finish leaves a lingering aftertaste of Alka-Seltzer in my mouth.se

D - I really hated this beer during my first one, but I must have had a bad bottle. I liked the second bottle much more than the first. This really isn't that bad. I gave this a 1.4 the first time, and although I'm still not a big fan, I'm upping that score a little bit.

Note: People might really like this, especially non-BAs, but it's not realy my cup of tea. This might be a hit...just look at the Miller Chill phenomenon.

1.92/5  rDev -34.9%

I'm sorry, russpowell, but I have to disagree.

The beer's appearance is that of a more-tan coors original without the musky smell and aftertaste.

The smell is that of fermented cereal grains with lime rinds added for flavor. Caramel, really? I definetly disagree on that one. There is nothing even malty about this beverage. It might as well be called smirnoff lime.

First of all, I've never heard of caramel hops since I don' think that brewers usually roast the hops opposed to darkening the malts.

Medium bodied? This beer has all the body of a Budweiser select with more carbonation to bite at the tongue. Go drink a Coca-Cola if you like carbonation bite.

This beer works well on niether hot, cold or end of the world day. I'm sorry, but this is a poor example of the Macro companies (achem Coors) trying to force their way into the craft market, but we know better than that. Russpowell, I would suggest trying some Belgium Ales, followed by some dark English Ales followed by some English Russian Imperial Stouts and then tell us about beer flavor. Once again I apologize for my directness, but there must be a standard set lest chaos overtake this site.

1.96/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a clear pale amber color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes into decent lacing. The aroma is of faint caramel malt, and hints of lime. The taste is of lime with hints of malt. The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium bodied with carbonation that is very high and gets in the way of the flavor. Overall, this is one difficult beer to drink. While fruity wheat beers aren't my favorite I can usually appreciate what the brewer is trying to do with the fruit. This beer, however, is too much artifical fruit flavoring, and not enough beer for my liking. I will not drink this again.

1.98/5  rDev -32.9%

It seems that all the mass-produce beer companies beleive that an outbreak of scurvy is eminent, because they want to put citrus fruits in beer. None with great flavor success. This beer begins with a fizzy, then flat appearance with a carbon dioxide bite later. A timid foamstand just doesn't hold out long. The beer is a standard straw color but never impresses. Aromas of grain and acidicy is all I get. Taste of raw cereal grains, faint sweetness and a lime-like acidicy is it. No complexity or variety in flavor. Where the body thins out for ease of drinking, it also weaves in a thin acid-like flavor that, with the grains, become quite astringent. I cannot see myself drinking this one again.

2.03/5  rDev -31.2%

Color: Pours a pale amber color with a one-finger head and some lacing.

Aroma: Malty with a very faint hint of fruit. Not many other flavors I can recognize right off. Sweet. Somewhat of a disappointment.

Taste: Smooth and malty. Somewhat watery and syrupy in the middle. A very faint hint of what's supposed to be lime in the middle.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy and undesirable. Too sweet.

Verdict: Mediocre attempt at a spring seasonal. I'm not surprised as I continue to buy Blue Moon products, hoping that one of them will win me over. Unfortunately, that may never be the case.

2.03/5  rDev -31.2%

This beverage pours a clear copper color and has a fizzy light tan head. The nose is mostly of grainy malts. The taste is also quite mild. A bit of grassy malts with faint citrus. A light body has way too much carbonation. This hurts the drinkability as the fizz fights my palate as I drink.

2.13/5  rDev -27.8%

Served cold in a standard pint @ Cobblestone's in York.

A - A crystal clear light amber w/ 1/4 inch of white head that lingers

S - Not much I could muster after 3 vigorous swirls in a smokeless barroom other than light fruit esters.

M -- Nutty in a general sense w/ full bordering on creamy feel from carbonation and a slightly crisp light bodied yet adjunct affected finish.

T - Not much to say honestly, like wonder bread in beer form. I had no expectations thankfully, because I was not let down. The flavor is very light for an amber ale, not very close to a cream ale even. There is not much in common w/ Kolsch type sweet and fruity ale flavors that you may want to see from Coors either. This is slightly sweet and malty but very cereal and rice in the flavor.

The flavor has hints of yeast that are enhancing the light malt flavor, a bit maltier than a wit, yet a lot less flavorful. I couldn't even detect the lime flavoring if there was any in there.

D - A poor attempt at a Kolsch or American amber if this is the case. It has no real 'flavor' to speak of-I would avoid this in the future or maybe try it in bottle form for comparison

2.19/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Pours a medium honey brown/copper with the *slightest* hint of haze in it. Large fizzy head which quickly dissipates to a small ring around the edges.

S: After pouring, the first whiff of this reminded me of an empty can of warm macro-swill (think Stroh's) after spending an hour in the sun. Once the head dissipated (and after the shock left my face), it took the aromas with it. A faint malty smell remains which is much improved from the initial offering.

T: The lime comes through as a hint. If I hadn't have read the bottle, I honestly wouldn't have picked it out. It truly lacks flavor overall. I can imagine that tainted tonic water tastes something like this...

M: After the massive head dissipates, it visually appears to come up short on carbonation. What there is of it I'd classify as "tiny bubble" type. It attacks the tongue sharply, like a champagne if you know what I mean.

D: This is all coming from a big fan of Blue Moon Belgian White. Despite all of the minuses I've noted above, I could suck some of this down while working in the yard. But, I'd classify it more as a "refreshing drink" than a beer.

BIA (Buy It Again?): No. Overall, I'm disappointed.

2.2/5  rDev -25.4%

I was unimpressed with this beer but hey it's a Blue Moon product so I guess I shouldn't have expected much. It poured a golden coppery color with no head and no lacing. The aroma was faint if not nonexistent. The taste was too sweet. I guess that was supposed to be a lime taste but it was off putting to say the least. Mouthfeel was medium body with medium high carbontion. Overall drinkability for me was none. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

2.23/5  rDev -24.4%

a-amber color, with some cloudiness,

s-malt smell, not very impressive, kinda harsh on the nose

t-first sip was a yuck, have to get used to it, as it warms it gets a little better, not really a fan of amber ales

m-not bad, it is smooth, kinda bitter

d- i will not but this one again, a bad beer and not impressed

2.33/5  rDev -21%

Appears a lightly hazed copper amber hue with a nice sized off white crem head floats above the rim of the glass leaves light streaks of lacing unevenly around my pint glass. Aroma light malt sweetness minimal citrus content with herbal grassy sensations not overly lime it's infact not enough a bit of a mineral character going on here but errily light for all of the description on the bottle about the Kaffir lime influences in this amber wheat ale, which brings up another point it's hard to pick out the wheat character here. Flavors immediately tastes like stems and leave but the lime and citrus appeal is very low here malts are minimally sweet with a bitterness coating the palate without much from the hop department just mediocre here. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied carbonation seems unnatural and covers the tongue with terrible finish. Drinkability not my idea of a refreshing spring ale but hey it's a mass produced amber ale if you want one go try it but I'm not revisiting this six pack especially at $7.50.

2.34/5  rDev -20.7%

2oz. bottle: This one pours a color that is a cross between an amber and darker golden color. There was a fairly decent head on it that dropped off quickly. The aroma is a bit thin. The main notes are lime and a little wheat. The taste gets a fair. Hint of lime and wheat, but there is a slight metallic aftertaste. There are better lighter beers to quench your thirst.

2.35/5  rDev -20.3%

Not a wheat beer by any means, except for hints in the smell. I have to wonder why a brewery would consciously put lime in their beer during brewing. It seems as though all it's done is kill all the flavor of the beer.

I could go down the list, but the results would remain the same. This is an assassination of flavor, not a smooth, balanced taste, as the bottle reads.

2.36/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out with a billowing foamy head that lasts. Sits clear and dark orange in the glass. Looks pretty good. Nose is very faint metallic wheat with lime peels. Taste is like lime tortilla chips. Corn, yeast, lime, metal. Odd sweet alcohol on the end. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery, and drinkability is just so-so.

2.36/5  rDev -20%

A - average, not too much here.

S - Hint of citrus

T - Not a lot of flavor going on here at all.

M - Light, not much there.

D - Easy to throw these down, especially conmsidering 5.6% ABV.

I could see drinking these in the midst of summer, but I would not seek these out for their own merits due to lack of taste, this coming from a guy that loves Bud Light.

2.38/5  rDev -19.3%

Beer pours a very light orange/copper, with a bubbly white head. Aroma is stale and slightly sweet. Touch of wheat involved.

This is just a poor beer in my opinion. I like Blue Moon, but I don't know what they were trying to go for here. Adding a light wheat beer to a Yuengling and a hint of lime is the best thing I could come up with. Even so it doesn't pass as a wheat beer OR an amber, so its existence is kind of pointless.

Mouthfeel is bubbly and well carbonated. I didn't want more than one of these. Not a very good offering from Blue Moon/Coors.

2.41/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured a bit fast produced a 3 finger head atop a clear amber/golden body. Head became a bit rocky, clumpy. Settled to about a 1/2 finger, then a film.
Smelled a bit lemony/limey, sweet malt and some belgian spice, but not much.
Taste combines lime and honey, badly, sweet malt and some sort of corriander-ish thing. Not sure what I'm tasting, but it ain't lime. Thin feel, bad aftertaste that, luckily, didn't linger.
I bought a 6-pack of this to have in my fridge for non-beer geek friends. I paid 4.99, and that's a bit much for this stuff.

2.42/5  rDev -18%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into the new Sam Adams pint glass.

I bought this beer because I have had the Blue Moon Belgium White and found it to be a decent replacement for Hoegarden in bars/restaurant with a less than stellar beer selection. Well that is where I went wrong.

The appearance unfortunately was the best part about this beer. It poured an impressive crystal clear amber with an inch thick head that lasted until I took that first sip. It dissipated fairly quickly and left speckled lacing throughout the glass.

The smell was mediocre at best. Slight hint of malt and barely noticeable hint of fruit even though the beer claims to be lime infused.

The taste was blah. I picked up no lime flavor whatsoever which would be fine except the beer claims to be infused with Kiefer lime leaves and lime peel. It tasted like a lager with a slightly sweet finish although that sweetness can not be traced to any fruit that I am aware of. Hints of hop spice but nothing to write home about.

Mouthfeel was the equivalent of a Budweiser which is not bad if I buy a Budweiser. It claims to be a wheat ale but tasted and felt very similar to a lager.

Overall not worth your time. I would not buy again and felt that this beer should be reclassified under lager. It poured clear, left no taste of lime(which it claims to be infused with) and did not leave any hint of being a wheat beer.

2.46/5  rDev -16.6%

A- pours a clear amber with an inch head which quickly subsides.

S- A very faint malty smell, not much else

T- Very faint taste, doesn't really taste like beer. A slight alcohol taste hinted with limes.

M- Almost flat very light in the mouth

D- Very drinkable b/c it doesn't have much flavor and is very light.

I bought this beer b/c I was in the mood for a spring beer one day. I was tired of the usual winter seasonals and wanted something different. It is not awful, however I will probably never buy this again. Just not enough taste, smell or general appeal.

2.46/5  rDev -16.6%

a decent beer...Pours with a medium head, with decent lacing for a american wheat ... is a tad hazy golden marmalade colour... there is a nice slight citrus feel to this beer, and i personally think there is just enough lime for this beer, any more and it would seem to "corona like" ... Not the best macro micro but enjoyable on a sunny spring day, or while u watch ur team kick boltons ass(2 for ronaldo!) ...

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance: Hazy amber in color, small size head gives way to very good lacing and retention. Sticky all the way down the glass.

Smell: A bit of wheat, lemon grass, some citrus properties, and a small hop note. Most of the aroma is artificial citrus consistency, not much in the way of a true amber.

Taste: Artificial to say the least, the lime peel flavor is a bit over done, not much in the way of refreshing when the lime overpowers the toasted malt finish. Citrusy and sour are the only real words I can use to describe this, almost like a sour patch kid with carbonation, too sour for its own good.

Mouthfeel: Decent amount of carbonation dominates here, a light to medium body, a little harsh when sitting on the tongue for a minute, the sour properties are too strong in order for this one to have a good feeling on the tongue. Maybe a bit more malt here would smooth it out.

Drinkability: Can't say this isn't refreshing because it is, but it's very rushed, overpowering with it's lime addition, and too sour to be enjoyed sessionably. Stray away when there are alot of other spring seasonals that are much better!

2.47/5  rDev -16.3%

saw a six-pack in the store while shopping for some taco salad ingredients for dinner. thinking this "artfully crafted" american-based macro would go well with taco salad (vs. tecate), i grabbed it and went to the checkout. not the best choice, but not the worst, considering this is utah, and we get a piss-poor selection other than some local micros in the cooler.

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

appearance: pours a really nice amber color, two-finger head which within a minute quickly dissipates. little to no lacing involved.

smell: lacks any really great "beer" nose, meaning for this being touted as a "wheat-ale," it's really no different smelling than a miller lite. there is a citrus and lime sense, being that the label says it is lime-infused with kieffer lime leaves. (?)

taste: has the familiar average taste of most american macros, is light and not at all complex with ingredients.

mouthfeel: light, a little under-carb'd.

drinkability: not wanting a heavy beer, this will do in a pinch. as will probably every other really great craft light or pilsner beer otherwise available. i'd drink another, if given to me at a party, and if it was the only other beer around.

Blue Moon Rising Moon Spring Ale from Coors Brewing Company