Blue Moon Rising Moon Spring Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: armock on 01-12-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Rising Moon Spring Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next › last »
3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance - hazy deep golden straw color. Three fingers of head settle and leave a thin, smoothly bubbled surface across the top. Eventually that too is gone and no lace left behind either.

Aroma - lightly sweetened wheat with a trickle of lime. A bit crackery, fairly decent head.

Taste - biscuity malt, a little ESB in nature. The lime is barely noticeable, the yeast flavors are a little too dominant, I think, but lime notes do peek out occasionally. Not sure if that butteriness really belongs. Finishes with a trace of yeast, fairly straight-forward.

Mouthfeel - a lighter body, a bit of smoothness, pretty zippy carbonation, none of which neither hurt nor help.

Drinkability - a curious creation, easy drinking enough but even for the only lime-infused beer I've ever had, it's not that interesting.

2.42/5  rDev -18%

Poured a bit fast produced a 3 finger head atop a clear amber/golden body. Head became a bit rocky, clumpy. Settled to about a 1/2 finger, then a film.
Smelled a bit lemony/limey, sweet malt and some belgian spice, but not much.
Taste combines lime and honey, badly, sweet malt and some sort of corriander-ish thing. Not sure what I'm tasting, but it ain't lime. Thin feel, bad aftertaste that, luckily, didn't linger.
I bought a 6-pack of this to have in my fridge for non-beer geek friends. I paid 4.99, and that's a bit much for this stuff.

1.9/5  rDev -35.6%

I'm sorry, russpowell, but I have to disagree.

The beer's appearance is that of a more-tan coors original without the musky smell and aftertaste.

The smell is that of fermented cereal grains with lime rinds added for flavor. Caramel, really? I definetly disagree on that one. There is nothing even malty about this beverage. It might as well be called smirnoff lime.

First of all, I've never heard of caramel hops since I don' think that brewers usually roast the hops opposed to darkening the malts.

Medium bodied? This beer has all the body of a Budweiser select with more carbonation to bite at the tongue. Go drink a Coca-Cola if you like carbonation bite.

This beer works well on niether hot, cold or end of the world day. I'm sorry, but this is a poor example of the Macro companies (achem Coors) trying to force their way into the craft market, but we know better than that. Russpowell, I would suggest trying some Belgium Ales, followed by some dark English Ales followed by some English Russian Imperial Stouts and then tell us about beer flavor. Once again I apologize for my directness, but there must be a standard set lest chaos overtake this site.

3.55/5  rDev +20.3%

Pours amber with 1" of fluffy whiite head. Average head retention & above average lacing

S: Slight caramel notes & some pepper

T: Caramel & a slight lemon hop presence up front, then I pick up some lime & a little pepper. Caramel sweetness. a little herbal + lemon hops hops & lime zest in the finish

MF: Medium bodied with average carbonation, balances well

This is a different kind of amber, but more of a one off, but a very easy drinker. Honestly thought I'd hate this, but alright IMO, wpuld work well on a hot day

2.28/5  rDev -22.7%

Appears a lightly hazed copper amber hue with a nice sized off white crem head floats above the rim of the glass leaves light streaks of lacing unevenly around my pint glass. Aroma light malt sweetness minimal citrus content with herbal grassy sensations not overly lime it's infact not enough a bit of a mineral character going on here but errily light for all of the description on the bottle about the Kaffir lime influences in this amber wheat ale, which brings up another point it's hard to pick out the wheat character here. Flavors immediately tastes like stems and leave but the lime and citrus appeal is very low here malts are minimally sweet with a bitterness coating the palate without much from the hop department just mediocre here. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied carbonation seems unnatural and covers the tongue with terrible finish. Drinkability not my idea of a refreshing spring ale but hey it's a mass produced amber ale if you want one go try it but I'm not revisiting this six pack especially at $7.50.

3.63/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance: this beer pours a copper-gold color with a slight haze and a 1/2" white head; looks good
Smell: honey and lemon
Taste: lemon; slight hoppiness; a little sweet, but OK
Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied
Drinkability: could do 2 in a night

2.6/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance - Enticing golden-amber color. Nearly clear. Thin, sheet white head that quickly subsides to a lace. Nicely carbonated.

Smell - An earthy, grassy smell with a trace of citrus and wheat character.

Taste - A light acidity up front, with a low profile hop bitterness. Nothing exciting, almost dull to be honest. Very minimal trace of lime. A slightly sour finish. After taste seemed almost...minty I guess. Not strong.

Mouth feel - Fairly thin, a little too watery for my likes.

Drinkability - Moderate. It was smooth I guess, but a little filling. Nothing really made me want another sip. Kind of disappointed. I suppose the writing around the neck that spoke of lime zest and leaves and green bottle set my expectations of taste a little higher than this beer was able to live up to.

2.8/5  rDev -5.1%

Poors a light amber, with about a finger of head. Smells sweet and crisp with some citrus. Taste is also a bit on the sweet side with allot of citrus, and a whole lot more cirus comes in on the after taste. An ok offering from the coors brewing company, i will get around to the other one in my fridge when it gets warmer.

3.83/5  rDev +29.8%

Poured from a twist of bottle into a standard pint glass. Pours a amber color with a slight amount of haze. Forms a one finger head that fades into a film. Smell has notes of lime and wheat with little scent of hops. Lime hints the tongue on the first tasting followed by wheat and a slight bit of hops in the aftertaste. Taste is not quite what I was expecting but not that bad either. In the mouth the beer has an above average level of carbination and feels good on the tongue. Drinkable, definatly worth a try.

2.93/5  rDev -0.7%

Slightly hazed dull bronze. Big hefty frothy white head. Retention and lace attributes are good. Decent aroma of wheaty spiciness and orange and lime. Taste like somebody squeezed a lime into an average tasting american style wheat ale. It's not too bad though. It's not real "artificial" in taste, which is what I was afraid of. The lime part reminds me of a margarita. The beer part reminds me of, oh, something like Boulevard's unfiltered wheat. Very unassuming. Anyway, this isn't horrible, but not one I'd need to return to...even on a hot day.

And I guess they've used some Kieffer lime leaves in this one. It's only listed on the bottle in four different places.

1.75/5  rDev -40.7%

12 oz. bottle with a label that looks like the other Blue Moon labels, except this one has a picture of a small waterfall located in a Colorado forest next to the big blue moon. The back label has a small paragraph telling the consumer about the beer and the Government warning and barcode below that. If you somehow missed reading the back label, they have the same information around the neck of the bottle. Blue Moon (Coors) really wants you to know about how it's brewed with Kieffer lime leaves and lime peel with Belgian malts. If you look close enough, you'll find a best before date marked where the neck meets the bell of the bottle. Mine was marked best before July 08 07. Poured into a simple pint glass.

This Spring Ale is a light caramel amber color with a thin layer of white bubbly foam that dissipated into a trace of white bubbly rings and lace. Its smell is that of beautiful green pasture during the spring season that has just been recently been burned by a brush fire. I love (hate) the smell of burning green grass in the morning. Once you get past the smoldering green pasture, a hint of toasted malts with a minuscule aroma of lime comes out from the burnt pasture and into your nose. The taste that came out was grassy (not burned grass, regular grass) with malted wheat, burnt hops, a hint of toasted malt, and with the slightest touch of lime peel and lime leaves. You really need to dig deep to detect any kind of lime flavor in this. The mouthfeel was too watery and thin. You could really taste the fine Colorado Mountain spring water in the mouthfeel. It had an aftertaste of burnt hops with a trace of a salted lime peel. I don't think I could ever drink this one again. It was too thin with an aroma of a burned green pasture. If this is the flavor of spring, then I feel sorry for the upcoming spring season.

2.78/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a decent looking semi-hazy copper colour wit ha big off-white head that leaves more residue on the glass than expected.

The aroma is very bland. A touch of malt, a touch of lime and that's about it, and what's there is quite faint.

The flavour is, well, weird. There's some caramel sweetness, a bit of malt ruggedness, and of course some lime toward the middle and finish, but the lime, whilst not overpowering, has more of an artificial/fake quality to it than a natural flow within each sip. Mouthfeel is light bodied and a touch watery.

This one is going to come out to just about "average" if your looking at it strictly by the numbers, but I don't know that I'd recommend it. There's nothing definitively bad about it, but the balance is off as the lime is just out of place and there's ultimately nothing that good about it either. Call it average, but I can't really recommend it.

2.75/5  rDev -6.8%

From the 12 oz. bottle, best by July 8 07 stamped on neck of bottle. Into a pint glass a rather pale and somewhat dusky orangish color with minor carbonation. One-finger head sticks around for awhile, fading to a spotty cap, solid ring, and minor lacing. Nose of sweet malt and spice. Taste of sweet malts and peppery spice. Light and wheaty. Lime? Not really. Perhaps a faint hint of citrus somewhere in there. Mediocre flavor overall. Mouth is bubbly and refreshing, wet, and a bit thin. Drinkability is OK; it’s inoffensive but offers little to bring you back for more.

Overall: Coors continues to impress me with their Blue Moon line. Nothing outstanding here, but certainly a drinkable and even enjoyable brew. Worth a try.

2.55/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Blue Moon Spring Ale
12 oz brown bottle
Jet ink label on the side of the bottle Jul0807 100 19 N B
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a light orange with mini carbonation bubbles that race to the top of the glass. Little spots of sticky lace cling to the glassware.

Whiffs of a freshly sliced lime and a hint of Belgian yeast in the background. There is something artificial about the nose.

Moderately acidic on the tongue with a grainy key lime pie quality. Hints of tart lemon and bready malts. The mouthfeel is watery and artificial.

Ehhhh....I don't see myself revisiting this one anytime soon. It became harder to drink as time passed.

2.2/5  rDev -25.4%

A: Pours a medium honey brown/copper with the *slightest* hint of haze in it. Large fizzy head which quickly dissipates to a small ring around the edges.

S: After pouring, the first whiff of this reminded me of an empty can of warm macro-swill (think Stroh's) after spending an hour in the sun. Once the head dissipated (and after the shock left my face), it took the aromas with it. A faint malty smell remains which is much improved from the initial offering.

T: The lime comes through as a hint. If I hadn't have read the bottle, I honestly wouldn't have picked it out. It truly lacks flavor overall. I can imagine that tainted tonic water tastes something like this...

M: After the massive head dissipates, it visually appears to come up short on carbonation. What there is of it I'd classify as "tiny bubble" type. It attacks the tongue sharply, like a champagne if you know what I mean.

D: This is all coming from a big fan of Blue Moon Belgian White. Despite all of the minuses I've noted above, I could suck some of this down while working in the yard. But, I'd classify it more as a "refreshing drink" than a beer.

BIA (Buy It Again?): No. Overall, I'm disappointed.

2.93/5  rDev -0.7%

Saw this beer and realized that I'd never seen or heard of it before. The kaffir lime leaves really intrigued me. I quickly realized that the only other beer I knew of with kaffir lime leaves in the recipe was Stone's Vertical Epic 03.03.03.

Eye: The bottle brags of a wheat beer, if so then this one is the most transparent I've ever seen. Crystal clear as far as wheats go, I mean there's a bit of haze but I'd really be stretching it to say that this beer is even somewhat cloudy. Color is mostly orange with lots of yellow tones. Perhaps Its because I just washed this glass out but this thing has a huge head. Even pouring it along the sides of the glass at a 45 angle it still became huge real quick. Now that the whole beer is in the glass a two finger head, white a rockier as opposed to creamier. Best looking beer from Coors. Though the head starts huge it, over time, becomes a thin film on the beer.

Nose: Not very interesting here in the way of aroma, some wheat and yeast-like characteristics. Infact almost no aroma at all, perhaps you can get a hint of the lime, but that's only after you've tasted it.

Tongue: Not really much to this brew. Some wheat and grainy/cereal flavors are present with that hint of lime in the background. Also some yeasty flavors, not esters, just yeast. Nothing really to brag about, not bad but not good either. I'm pretty indifferential to this beer. so a neutral 3 is in order. All of the sudden for a sip I tasted some spiciness of hops.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability:Less carbonation in this brew, fits nicely with what Coors was trying to go for I think. Actually this beer has much more body than its brethern of Coors and Coors Light. Its got a pretty sturdy medium body. It goes down pretty easily. Not a beer I'd soon be buying again. Sure, its not bad, but why....when there is so much better? I'm glad I did try it though. Actually, in the Summer it might be quite refreshing, but as for now, I think not. Would be better released as a summer beer I am thinking.This would be a good transition beer for those looking to convert themselves or friends. Not an entirely bad beer but nothing to write home about. Again, I think that Coors is aiming at the regular macro drinking market with this beer. With its small amount of flavor it will surprise and also satisfy those who decide to be "classy." Most likely they'll like it and Coors will have accomplished its task.

2.8/5  rDev -5.1%

Lime in beer? I thought Corona. That was it. So, I started with dread, but I sipped first and poured to enjoy.

Appears cloudy orange with mild carbonation and thin head. Smell left nothing to appetize. There was just the slight lime note but nothing else. Mouth was about average. It foamed well, had a touch of bitterness and left a lime squeeze as an aftertaste and the taste was indeed a nice lime, almost bordering on artifical, like eating lime tortilla chips. It almost seemed like a BM Belgian Wheat with lime, except the malt wasn't as complex as it is in that beer.

Overall, this was a refreshing beer, but not my cup of tea. The lime isn't too overpowering but there is nothing else to merit having this again.

3.55/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dull golden copper with a dense three and a half finger head. Respectable retention and passsable spotty lacing. Weak aroma, amber malts and wheat with the faintest traces of lime peel. Toasted pale barley and malted wheat sweetness upfront, followed by slight nuttiness and a hint of lime zest in the background. Drying aftertaste, with no hop flavor to speak of but the tang of the fruit and mild hop bitterness does a good job of balancing the malt. Light in body with an effervesent carbonation, very crisp and refreshing. Finishes light and airy with the delicate lime and toasty wheat flavors vanishing before they can leave any lasting impression. The lack of flavor depth is dissapointing, but this allows a friendly session caliber drinkability well-suited for warm weather. No doubt it is well-constructed and fits the demographic for whch it was brewed.

« first ‹ prev | 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next › last »