Blue Moon Belgian Pale Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: NCSUdo on 05-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian Pale Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last
Reviews: 219 | Hads: 1,060
2.98/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - Poured in a mug it retains a clear hue mixed between orange and copper creating a white foamy head of about a fingers width that retained itself for a good five minutes before settling into a ring around the top of the iced mug. Decent amount of carbonation.

T - A strong taste of hibiscus mixed with bitter hops overwhelms the tongue at first before leaving the palette to produce a slight aftertaste of copper, perhaps being what this brew was conceived inside, and a little bitter flavour due to a slight roasting of the hops. All in all it is quite refreshing and easily drinkable, not a bad beer at all..

S - It has a subtle scent of ale and perhaps hibsus, it was more intense in the bottle for some reason then after I poured it into the glass.

M - It isn't thick nor watery, a good blend.

O - Overall this isn't a bad beer and I would drink it again, I would give it a 3.25/5. I found it in a bewer's winter sample kit. I can't wait for the next seasonal one! (976 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I have avoided this because it's from Coors; however, limited choices at my local grocer prompted me to finally give it a try. I was very pleasantly surprised by the balanced flavors and body. This is one of the big boys' most notable attempts at craft type brewing (ie, flavor) and I applaud their effort. I would buy this again. (330 characters)

Pouring a lovely burnt orange with a tinge of green, there is a slight creamy citrus aroma, mixed with the subtle notes of Cascade hops and hibiscus. On the tongue, there is a small but distinct hop attack which smooths out rather quickly leaving a slightly bitter aftertaste, all contained in a full but brief mouthfeel.

Not a bad beer, but nothing exceptional either, this is a solid, simple pale ale, refreshing on it's own, but the crisp bitterness would be perfect with fish and chips, the sharp tang complimenting tarter sauce and vinegar. Cheers! (555 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +46.9%

Needless to say I am a little bias when rating this beer. This is my favorite beer flavor and all. I must say however, I do not enjoy it in the bottle, I prefer this beer on draft. A crisp orange to top it off makes this beer delicious. It is a very common beer that most enjoy. (278 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +33%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have to drink it on tap and with an orange! Very full, crisp, smooth mouthfeel. If you want to step up from the run of the mill light beers to dip your toe into a more flavorful beer I think this is a good beer to do it with. There is not much risk involved with trying this beer. There is a slight heaviness that comes along with enjoying this beer. (350 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

What a rough punch this beer packs! Or what do you call a flavor that hijacks the entire beer drinking experience? Not really a Belgian, and less so a pale ale. This is a strange beer that will baffle you, so try it if you are a die hard--or else pass! (252 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +28.1%

appearance = amber/orange/brown and cloudy. Has a nice 2 finger head

smell = Smells very floral, but full of spices and differnt flavors. Citrus smell as well.

taste = This is a great tasting beer. The flavors are balanced and interesting, with a nice crispness to them.

mouthfeel = Very very crisp.

overall = My favorite of the "Moon" series. If you like blue moon, but think its too complex or heavy, definitely try this beer. (433 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +26.2%

bottle poured in to a pint glass.

A - Poured to a small, short lived head. Orange, amber color. Not much carbonation.

S - Nice soft, rich odor. This definitely smells like a Blue Moon product. Orange peel is obvious in the smell.

T - Not anything like an American Pale Ale, though it is dubbed a Belgian-style pale ale. It doesn't have that bitter edge that most pale ales have, which is nice for a change. The Orange peel, again, is obvious in taste and the normal pale ale bitterness is replaced by that wonderful spiced characteristic that most Belgian beers are known for. I'm enjoying this beer a lot. Though, it could use more of that Belgian aftertaste and could have a bit more body. It's almost a little bland, just a little.

M - Good soft, buttery feel going down. Again, it could use a little more body.

D - Certainly drinkable, I could go for a few of these in a row. (884 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

Had a few from a bottle poured into a glass.

A: Very pretty reddish color, kind of a red/copper, but very little head. Light lacing.

S: Slightly malty with a little hop, toasty, maybe a little nutty

T: I've had better. It's ok, kinda malty with a slightly bitter hop finish, but not much there. The taste lingers. It has some sweet/vanilla notes which are pleasant on the finish, but broken up quickly when the bitter comes in at the last second. The beer also loses flavor quickly as it warms up. Even just over the course of five minutes, as it comes into the 50-55 degree range, it loses most of it's flavor.

M: Sub-par, carbonation is either too high or it's a bit watered down. Can't quite put my finger on.

Overall, I'd accept the drink if offered to or bought for me, but I wouldn't search this one out to buy it. I mean, it's still beer, and I'll be sure to not waste it, but I wouldn't buy it. (908 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

A- very light amber color with a very light lacing that is very hard to detect unless looking up close.

S- wheat, grains, grass?, coriander, corn?

T- starts with a extremely sweet flavor up front with a very lightly dry ending that tends to die out quickly and leaves a macro brew lager flavor lingering.

M- starts out decent then feels like you just drank flavored water

O- A style that blue moon did not try too hard to make. will not buy again. (451 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -8.3%

Not bad. I would prefer Harvest moon over it, but I'd say pretty close. I have always like Blue moon, never really loved it though. Maybe it is because I prefer darker and more hopped beers. In the summer when I'm am looking for a descent beer to casually drink, I will more often then none choose Blue Moon. A little sweet though sometimes. (341 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

The only beer worse than this that I have tasted is Fosters. I would leave it at that, but am required to write more, so I will.
It's smells funky and tastes even worse. If a cow chewed on wheat and you took the drool from it's big ol' cow lips and bottled it, you would have this beer. It tastes stale and repugnant at the same time. Go ahead, stick an orange in it. It won't help. (382 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a bottle from Blue Moon's Winter Sampler 12pk.

A-Golden copperish color to it with a pretty decent head on it, but the head seems to leave fairly quicker compared to most.

S-Smells of caramel and hops

T-Pretty good taste, not a bad pale ale, I've definetley had better but it's not too shabby.

D-Very drinkable beer, ecspecially if you're a fan of the pale ales.

Overall this was not a bad beer, I wouldn't seek it out over other pale ales on the market but definetly wouldn't turn this one down. (505 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +23.1%

More of the same from the Blue Moon Brewing Company - a highly drinkable, delicious ale. The aroma and flavor are both quite fruity, although neither the orange nor hibiscus can be easily distinguished from the characteristic Cascade presence. If there is a true Belgian aspect to this pale ale, it's lost on me. But beyond that, this one has few flaws. (353 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +23.1%

I used to drink a lot of beer--but it was just commercial garbage like Millers or Coors. This is a Coors product, but I sure think that it's a step in the right direction. It was kind of a stepping stone for me, although a few other beers were too, namely Leinenkugels and Shock-Top. I like this beer. It's light, it's perfect for drinking when the weather is warmer. It has a nice taste that is refreshing. I love the citrus taste and the spice after taste. It's the perfect after work beer, it's what I buy for parties now, and it is the beer to get when you end up in a place that doesn't serve micros. It has a light head, which is nice when you are looking for something refreshing. It's my everyday beer now, and I really like it, but it in no way has kept me from learning more about and trying other types of beer. (822 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -26.2%

I was surprised to see this marketed as a Belgian Ale, as it has more characteristics of a lager than anything else.

The appearance of it was below par when poured, large volumes of carbonation only produced a small head, which is never a good sign, IMHO.
The smell was average, a little sweet, citrus-y, not very hoppy at all.
Taste: I wasn't impressed. For an average cheap lager it would be a good taste, but not for what this was marketed as.
Mouthfeel: Way too much carbonation there too, I'd almost think someone made a mistake at Coors when producing this batch.
Drinkability: It drinks down OK, it's not special, not heady, just average.

Overall, not one of the best beers I've ever tried, and definitely should not have been marketed as a Belgian Pale Ale - that's been the biggest mistake. (801 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +28.1%

Unbiased - didn't know it was a Coors when I bought the six-pack. Certainly drinkable and quite pleasant as a first beer after emerging from "Irene" hibernation. Maybe not the long taste of a Belgian but I would put it in with other Pale Ales. 5 to go which will be nice when I get to them. (290 characters)

I hate to give such a generic review, but I bought this variety pack of Blue Moon beers that included Valencia Grove Amber, Belgian Style Pale Ale, Sunshine Citrus Blonde, and Belgian White and, sad to say, the only one that tasted okay was the Belgian White. The other three beers tasted like they were the same beers put in different labeled bottles. (352 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +16.4%

A- Pours Copper with a white head that dissipates quickly although i did wash this glass in the dishwasher which may account for the head dissolving, clear although it is not pale it is more amber-copper.

S-Heavy Diacetyl aroma, malty backbone, with a slight citrus hop note.

T- Delivers what the nose promises, tastes buttery with a nice sweet malt backbone and finishes nicely with some bittering hops.

M- Nothing special a little thin for the aroma and taste so this would be the only imbalance in the beer.

D- This beer is classified as a Belgian Style Pale Ale, it is 115% better than blue moon the original. It was surprisingly delicious, but is not delicious for its style. If this was labeled an English Bitter I would have rated it an A, very reminiscent of Old Thumper with a bit more hoppy life to it. (816 characters)

firstprev| 151-175 | 176-200 | 201-225  | next → last