Blue Moon Belgian Pale Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian Pale AleBlue Moon Belgian Pale Ale

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: NCSUdo on 05-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle into a Belgian tulip glass.

A - Color is copper and very clear. Just a bit of off white head came up on the pour, but it quickly fell away. Very little carbonation visible except when I swirl the glass.

S - Pale malts with just a hint of citrus. The bottle says it's brewed with cascade hops and a touch of orange peel, so that's where the citrus must be coming from.

T - Basically the same as the nose with just a bit of a bready character. Relatively dry and crisp finish with a slight spice flavor at the very end.

M - Light to mid bodied. Decent amount of carbonation present.

O - Nothing stands out about this beer. I got this as part of a mixed six pack of "extra beer" from a friend after a party ... glad I didn't pay for it.

BigDRS, Jul 17, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

amber color. crystal clear. poor head retention. low carbonation.

smell is mild malty and sweetness.

taste is a good variety of malts. a little hop bitterness without any real flavor, and a crisp finish.

a light thin beer with a crisp finish. i suppose it could be called 'refreshing.'

a good beer. not very complicated, but its nice to see coors trying to make an ale and not look like fools doing it.

spitInTheOcean, Jul 17, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +22.6%

12oz into pint. From notes

A: The body is a reddish copper hue, with a slightly clear appearance. The head pours a one finger formation and the retention sinks, but still is present throughout. No lacing.

S: A warm not of biscuit in the aroma, with a low level of aromatic hops. The esters from the yeast show a hint at the spiciness.

T/M: Good medium mouthfeel and a bread taste. Creamy on the palate and smooth. Not too much Belgian spice, but a nice clean toasted aspect. Low levels of carbonation make this true to style. Lingering finish isn't that bad with a nice coating of malt.

O: overall, one of the better offerings from Blue Moon. Well enjoyed.

GDBEERMAN, Jul 12, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -13.5%

I know I keep promising about The CANQuest (TM), bottle be back to it soon, I swear!

From the bottle: "A Belgian-style pale ale crafted with a hint of wheat, orange peel, and hibiscus [!] for a perfectly balanced hop taste and smooth finish."; "Pale Moon is our unique take on a pale ale. It's crafted with a touch of wheat to offer an inviting hop taste with a smooth finish. Pale Moon is brewed with Cascade hops, European malts, and a touch of orange peel and hibiscus - all perfectly balanced in this copper-colored ale. Cheers!"

From the style description, in lieu of direction on the bottle: "They should be decanted properly, leaving the yeast in the bottle." I did not see much (if any) yeast in the bottle, but I bore it in mind as I poured. I am pretty sure that this was filtered, but I was careful all the same, which resulted in mere wisps for head. Win some, lose some. Color was a deep-amber with NE-quality clarity ("CU -colored? Who they tryin' ta zoom?). Nose had a distinctive honey odor - could this be what the hibiscus was adding, if anything? Mouthfeel was actually pretty full, not outright creamy, but close. The taste was bland for all of the adjuncts that they mention. It was pale, all right, pale in flavor. I got a tea-like flavor in the mouth and whether it could be attributed to either the hibiscus or the hops, I do not know. Finish was grassy, somewhat tea-like, but just not a lot happening. This was not bad, just boring.

woodychandler, Jul 03, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours near clear a deep amber with many small bubbles rising up to almost a finger of head. Impressive appearance considering the label.

Wheat, orange aroma. There is a hint of coriander, though not as strong or pungent as the Belgian White.

Smooth and crisp, the toasted malts are accompanied by what seems to be apple notes, ending in slight bitterness. The finish is mildly bitter and would be better complimented with more accentuated apple notes(?).

A decent beer. If Blue Moon products were sold at a price reflecting their quality they would be a constant in my fridge. I hope they lower the price a few dollars soon (yea, that’ll happen).

SkitzIrish3, Jul 01, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

been a good while sine i had anything from the blue moon side of the people at coors.
poured from the bottle into a tulip glass .
appearance amber in color with a head that disappears quickly.
smell not to much of any discerning odor.
not a bad beer but not my cup o tea.

Dodt, Jun 28, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

Pale Moon is a very clear, very sparkling, light amber ale with a sparse, off white head that quickly dissipates. It has a faint aroma of light grain and a little spice. There is a note of apple. It has a very lively medium light body with a slightly gritty finish. It's pretty lightly flavored and well balanced. There are some fruity esters and a little phenol. A botanical bitterness comes at the finish. I wouldn't go after one of these on purpose, but it's certainly a better option than most macro brews.

yesyouam, Jun 15, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -16.8%

I am not a huge fan of the Blue Moon beers that I've had, but as I explain in my last review, a friend of mine (alas, not a beer guy) brought over a whole goddam twelve pack of Blue Moon products the other night and we have several left over. So, I decided I should review them. This is #2 of 3.

Pours a decent amber color with a relatively nice head that fades fast and leaves no lace. Nothing terrible about the appearance, but nothing noteworthy either. The nose is sort of sweet and hoppy, as if someone took a Blue Moon witbier and dumped some hops in the kettle. Kinda funky to be honest, almost strawberry-ish. The taste is just as bland as I'd expected. Flat and uninspired but with a noticeable hop presence. Very one-dimensional. Mouthfeel is thin but it actually finishes nice and dry at the end.

Again, another very ordinary beer from Coors. The style suggests at least some complexity, but this beer, much like the Blue Moon flagship witbier, is dull and lacking of so many elements. A watery imposter.

Atlas1, Jun 12, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -30%

Picked this one up as part of a mixed six pack, only because I'd never had it. Worse than Blue Moon, and really devoid of any character whatsoever. Poured a decent copper color with minimal head. Not much going on aroma-wise, aside from a little malt. On the palate, light to medium bodied, with a little malt and some apple skins.

emmasdad, Jun 07, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -9.7%

not impressed. Beer served in a snifter. This was 89 cents at the local store and I thought, eh...it's probably worth my 89 cents. I was mistaken.

Beer is kind of red, with a white head and some lacing, redder than I thought but looks like beer.

Smells like nothing.

tastes like nothing. Beer is medium to light in body, really thin no flavors at all...nothing...HELLO!!!! Bargh! What a waste.

drabmuh, Jun 01, 2011
3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

I am not a Belgium Pale Ale expert....so I really don't know if Blue Moon nailed this beer or not. I will say that this is a decent beer and worth a taste. The color was more amber and clear. There was not head and it did not lace (obviously). The nose was disappointing for me cuz I could not smell much of anything. Usually I like to smell some hop, pine, citrus, or something with my pales...but not here. The taste was decent...nicely balanced....and not "overly Belgiumie"....I am not a fan of Belgium style beers. Mouthfeel is good and definitely worth a taste.

WoodBrew, May 23, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter glass

Appearance: Finger thick head of white foam that dissipates after a few moments and does cling slightly to the side. Liquid is amber colored.

Aroma: Kind of disappointing. Was hoping for more. I get a bit of malt and that's it.

Taste: Malt. It's got some slight spice notes, which I'm guessing come from the addition of orange peel and hibiscus (according to the bottle anyway) but it's lighter than I was expecting.

Mouthfeel. Fuller than I expected. Decently carbonated, but doesn't finish as dry as I'd expect based on the addition of the candi sugar they mention (again from the bottle.)

Overall. Eh, I feel like for an American interpretation Fat tire wows me a bit more. This one isn't bad but overall I'm unimpressed.

BrianBoruma, May 14, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A friend brought a six pack of this over recently, and a bottle was left over from that. Have had this beer several times over the years, but not in a long while, so might as well review it.

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. The beer pours a semi cloudy, bright orange, with a dull copper hue. A frizzy off white colored head rose, and faded, leaving minor spotty lacing. (remember this having a more creamy head, maybe that's draft)

S: Malty orange peel, sweet malted barley, apples, and sugar.

T: Sugary caramel, oranges, malt, and little metallic dirty penny bitterness that lends a dry finish.

M: Medium carbonation, slightly sticky in syrup kind of way, but crisp.

O: Have had my share of this a few years back, but now it gives me a headache, to be honest, not sure why. As a faux craft beer, it's average. As a Belgian Pale ale, it fails, imho. It has it's place though. As for me, when I see a non BA, or non-craft beer enthusiast drinking this, I see someone that knows there is flavor in beers beyond Adjunct lagers. Basically it's a gateway to better beer, imho, and for that, it has its place.

Retsinis, May 11, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured light amber with tiny head and a fair bit of lacing. very clear in complexion.

the smell was yeast forward with a smidge of mild hops

The taste was similar to that of a diluted pseudo-belgian blue moon.

For a Coors offering, not bad and certainly way better than the crap they usually make. It is not as good as blue moon, and certainly not deserving of the title of Belgian pale ale. Pretty weak for the style, but not terrible overall.

OrangeAmps, May 05, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours light amber with small head, little lace. Some haziness to it.
S - yeasty, mild hops, mild grain.
T - yeast, grain, mild malt, like a wheat, pale ale, yeast mixture.
M & D - not that fanastic. Mild and bland in general. Drinkable on a hot day but of all the brews out there, this isn't anywhere near a must have for anyone.

tbern007, Apr 02, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked JUN0611-DO5102219. Sampled on March 27, 2011. Its amber-copper color is about right for a standard pale ale but I was hoping for something with less clarity. Caramel malts and maybe a dash of clove are evident in the aroma with a slight touch of yeast toward the back. The body comes in at around medium. Sweet malts prevail in the taste rather than the wheat, spices, and yeast elements I have come to associate with this style. But there is a slight hop bite at the end.

puboflyons, Mar 27, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

L - Medium amber in color and rich white head. There's a LOT of carbonation.

S - Biscuity amber malts with a light amount of orange and lemon peel in the back.

T - Smooth, little carbonation bite on it. Toasty malts and a fruit zest throughout the drink. Finishes relatively dry, maybe a little from the hops.

M - Lighter side of moderate mouthfeel.

D - Drinks nicely-very sessionable, it's thinner for a pale ale, but it's nice. I'm not sure how it's a Belgian pale in style though...

jmvecchio1, Mar 06, 2011
3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Coppery orange color with a tan collar. Little lacing.

Caramel sweetness with a little Belgian taste and some bitter hops. Nice flavor, but is watered down.

Nice carbonation, but a little thin.

A pretty good beer, but watered down. Drinks fine and is interesting enough to keep interest if in a pinch. It appears Coors is trying to compete seriously in the craft market. They have some work to do, but are doing more than the other big beer companies.

jera1350, Mar 05, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: Pale Moon pours a copper color with about a half-finger of slightly off-white head. Retention and lacing are both poor.

Smell: Light citrus zest (orange, slight lemon) is the most forward scent in this one. I read on the label that they brew this beer with hibiscus too, which I can smell as well but couldn't place without reading about it. It's a bit of a floral-type scent.

Taste: Light wheat malts and orange zest comprise the front of this beer. Hibiscus florals are fairly prevalent on the back end.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is between light and medium bodied with quite a bit of carbonation. It's probably the smoothest drinking Blue Moon incarnation I've had though. It's fairly drinkable, but calling this a Belgian Pale Ale is a bit of a crime in my opinion.

zhanson88, Feb 27, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +19.4%

A- Pours Copper with a white head that dissipates quickly although i did wash this glass in the dishwasher which may account for the head dissolving, clear although it is not pale it is more amber-copper.

S-Heavy Diacetyl aroma, malty backbone, with a slight citrus hop note.

T- Delivers what the nose promises, tastes buttery with a nice sweet malt backbone and finishes nicely with some bittering hops.

M- Nothing special a little thin for the aroma and taste so this would be the only imbalance in the beer.

D- This beer is classified as a Belgian Style Pale Ale, it is 115% better than blue moon the original. It was surprisingly delicious, but is not delicious for its style. If this was labeled an English Bitter I would have rated it an A, very reminiscent of Old Thumper with a bit more hoppy life to it.

junabee, Feb 25, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +10.6%

Thin offwhite head that dissipates into a ring around the rim rather quickly. Amber body with a hint of redness. Extreme floral scent. Smells like potpourri and grass. Very complex flavor, but not very balanced for my preferences, which don't tend to favor overbearing hoppiness. An assault on the tongue with medium hop bitterness and overbearing grassy notes. I'm not a fan of pale ales, but I will do my best to grade within a style I'm not familiar with. I think the hoppy bitterness is probably balanced within the style (if not to my liking), with strong notes of tobacco and acetaldehyde. I imagine this would go over well with the PA crowd. Smooth mouthfeel and finish. If I felt particularly violent and manly, I might drink a few of these on a given night. They just feel aggressive in my mouth.

ZenAgnostic, Feb 21, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -11.9%

I cant promote a beer that needs an orange slice to make it taste better or at least try to taste better. I tried a pint of this and could not drink anymore after that pint. I had to switch beers. To me this might be more of a ladies type of beer, I cant see a bar full of men drinking beer with oranges in it.

brunrn1, Feb 17, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +37.1%

A - pours dark and amber with somewhat of a head

S - smells like orange peel with hops and malt

T - tastes mostly like what it smells like; malty orange peel with hops and hibiscus...

M - very carbonated with the tangy feeling of citrus

D - very drinkable with a good finish

Ive usually have the original Blue Moon and I was impressed with the pal ale version...still holds true to the citrus flavor that reminds you its a Blue Moon....I recommend this to anyone who enjoys a Blue Moon and a good tasting pale ale with a crisp orange taste..

TheGarvenator, Feb 17, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +11.3%

a-pours a clear amber red colour with fizzy quickly dissipating head.

s-some sweet malt smells, citrus, hoppy bitterness

t-slight hoppiness to it, mild malt flavours to it, a little yeasty type notes....kinda muted IMO.

m-solid mouthfeel for the abv.

d-very...not too controversial but solid for the line.

Mit, Feb 17, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a pint glass with about a half inch of head. Disappeared pretty fast thought. Beer has a nice appearance and the smell was ok. Upon tasting it you get a small amount of flavor with little to no after taste.

It's been my favorite of the Blue Moon varieties so far and I would drink it again because its really not bad for a beer that is easily accessable and not overly pricey.

Looneybiz, Feb 16, 2011