Blue Moon Grand Cru - Coors Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 345 | Reviews: 203
Reviews by jsisko01:
3.7/5  rDev +10.8%

My bottle is the 2009 edition, with the best by date stating 4-12-10. So hopefully this doesn't affect the review negatively..

Appearance - Pours a yellow-orange color with a half inch thick head that lingers for a minute. Leaves a very nice lacing behind. There is an extreme amount of yeast chunks throughout the glass, from the old age I'm guessing.

Smell - Smells just like a regular Blue Moon. Orange peel, citrus, coriander, and Belgian yeast.

Taste - Same as the aroma. This is just a Blue Moon with a high alcohol percentage. It has an unpleasant alcohol bite in my opinion..

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - Honestly, I love Blue Moon. But I find this a little hard to drink on because of the strong alcohol flavor.

3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

I split this with my wife last,I was hoping this would be a more complex larger version og the standard,I was wrong.Pourred into atulip glass a hazed orange with a decent white fluffy head atop.Sweet aromas of artificial fruit,a little toasted cereal grain th there as well.Much sweeter than the the standard but the alcohol isnt in your face,again that artificial fruit flavor and toasted cereal in the finish.I didnt really care for the beer but its not awful,its just not worthy of the price I paid for it.

2.04/5  rDev -38.9%

Appearance - This came out a dull and bespeckled orange in color with a decent head that even left some lacing.

Smell - The spices at the nose are huge and drown out the other smells just like its junior partner does. This one goes a step farther and adds some medicinal alcohol notes that mess things up even more.

Taste - The malt flavor actually isn't bad but once again everything is trounced by the dull hammer of spices. The rubbing alcohol flavor doesn't help, either.

Mouthfeel - This medium-bodied Wit lacks the carbonation one comes to expect of the style and the texture of this ale is quite clumsy.

Sinkability - This was actually worse than the regular Blue Moon.

2.49/5  rDev -25.4%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #36 (Jan 2010):

So, Coors decides to jump into the big big arena now--a reactionary release of a big beer in the big-bottle format is what we see.

Cloudy and muddled, dirty straw-yellow color with a thin wisp of white lace. Coriander strongly dominates the aroma and only lets in a bit of orange peel, biscuity grain and a clean alcohol through. Same spicing as the smaller original version, just amped up to take on the girth of the malt and alcohol. Hints of bubblegum and medicinal flavor in the middle. Maltiness is tame and has no real complex side to it at all. Hops are there for bittering and are set on mute for flavor; the coriander seems to be handling the sweet- ness more. Breath of clean alcohol. Finishes a tad yeasty and dirty, with the hard spicing staying on the palate.

Nothing out of the ordinary, it tastes like a beefed-up version of their White Ale. A good example that bigger is not better, though--if you go down that road, you need to bring it. Not worth the higher price tag it garners.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought one of these for my wife, and she thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so, she got one for me to drink. It wasn't bad. A hazy straw color with a small white head. Nice aroma of orange and pepper. Not quite as much taste as the aroma suggested. Peppery spice, orange. On the harsh side, but still enjoyable.

3.36/5  rDev +0.6%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. The label has a short description of the beer, a freshness date of "APR1210" printed on the bottle, the ABV% (8.2) and year it was made. (2009)

Appearance: The body has a pale hazy orange tan color with a small white head. The head fades out quickly leaving nothing behind and making no lacing at all. Inside the body there are a few small deposits of yeast floating around.

Smell: The aroma is quite fruity. It has a heavy orange like character with notes of orange blossom and mandarin orange peel. Under this are decent sweet bready and wheaty notes.

Taste/Palate: There is defiantly a lot fruity orange and yeast character here. I get this fruity pebbles cereal thing with notes of bready yeast, wheat malt and a warm alcohol presence. It is sweet overall with just a little leafy hop bitterness towards the finish. The palate has a smooth, slick and heavy feel with very soft carbonation.

Notes: I can't help thinking that this is just a pumped up version of there regular Blue Moon.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle pours a hazy golden honey body with a medium sized white head. Minimal lacing.

Aroma of wheat, with coriander hints and lots of orange peel.

Light medium body has a smooth carbonation.

Taste has some twangy wheat malt, hints of coriander and orange peel, and some alcohol. As it warms, it gets sweeter to the point of being cloying. Some vague peppery spices in the finish.

Not a bad witbier, overall, but there are plenty of better examples.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a yeasty golden color with a huge white head. Lots of suspended yeast particles even though I poured carefully. Aroma is lots of yeast and citrus, with some coriander as well. Flavor is more of the same with the coriander dominating. You also get some orange, other citrus and yeast. A little less orange and a little more coriander than I like. This tastes just like a souped up regular Blue Moon. Thin mouthfeel and highly carbonated. Not bad, but not worth the price tag.

2.88/5  rDev -13.8%

500ml bottle poured into a sampling glass.

Pours a very cloudy light golden wheaty color with a small white fluffy head. Nose is wheaty and very yeasty - that's about it.

Taste is very similar to regular blue moon just with more of a Belgian yeast character and spiciness. It's a really decent BMC beer but not worth ~$10.

3.62/5  rDev +8.4%

I Liked this beer. Its a little different than normal Blue Moon. It has much more of a citrus/orange smell and taste. Also cloudier than the normal Blue Moon. I like the taste, but couldn't drink a lot of this at one time. I'd say it's good but not great. Definitely worth a try, especially as a one time thing. To be fair, wheat beers are not my favorite. But, this is good. I'd give it a B or B- overall.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a UK Guinness pint glass. Pours a nice thick two finger head with almost no lacing and dissipates very quickly. Very cloudy with a lot of sediment, much more than regular Blue Moon. Aroma, picking up a lot of citrus and some hints of banana. Taste is somewhat like regular Blue Moon but stronger and more complex. Getting a lot of citrus here as well. You can definitely notice the higher ABV. Coming from Blue Moon I think this is a really good beer, maybe their best yet. I would drink this again, but the price tag is a little steep.

2.43/5  rDev -27.2%

Appears a cloudy yeast filled chunky slurry of goodness. Orange glazed body with yeast sediment galore, this beer forms thick with white bright head, uh oh! Some redeeming qualities coming my way. Even minimal lacing early on let's see how things transgress.

Aroma has a solvent alcohol smell with strong orange/lemon citrus peels flooding my senses. It makes you tingle up and down your backbone. What a crazy experience.

This beer's flavor gets ten fold worse with each sip comes a strong syrupy astringency blended with orange peel pith bitterness. I may just throw this sample up it's that disgusting it burns the throat and your senses to the point of inebriation and back again.

Imagine stronger Blue Moon, the orange juice gives you acid reflux and then some this is disgusting I can't take another sip the worse beer experience I've had in quite some time. Cloying residual sugars join the alcohol induced partay.

Drinkability is piss poor a beer I would like to send as a castaway with Jay Leno right now, I hope Jay get's ship wrecked and stranded on an island with just this beer to drink. It sucks that bad I want no one else to come in contact but Jay Leno himself, muther fucka bumpin my boy Conan out of his earned seat.

3.06/5  rDev -8.4%

I couldn't really distinguish Cru much from the original. I did not do a side by side comparison, bit it felt the same. Possibly it lacked a little on the flavor. More alcohol flavor? I will stick to the original. No reason to spend more.

I might recommend the Ella Fitzgerald version of Blue Moon might be the appropriate music for this beer. Enough said.

4.57/5  rDev +36.8%

A: poured into a tulip glass for this tasting, saved the yeast for the 2nd glass. Pale yellow and cloudy and even orange almost with the yeast poured into it. No head at all with a easy pour.

S: reminds me of the old hoegarden before inbev screwed it up. Very Orange/citrus front end, wheat malt of course hit you. Its smells like a strong wit and its is so bingo its a winner.

T: orange and coriander with the good wheat malt background, the alcohol is not detectable, no hops, but its very balanced. not as sweet with the yeast poured into the glass. You detect the candy sugar in at as after taste but its very normal for a "imperial" witbier if you will. Nice near perfect, its weird I love "summer" beers all year long.

M: medium body, smooth to drink no alcohol burn at all.

D: 2 glass went down so fast and so easy its perfect "session" beer if you used to higher abv like I am.

3.03/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a dark, hazy orangish-yellow with a thin, foamy, fizzy lacing of head that fades very quickly. The nose is dominated by orange zest with undertones of lemongrass and faint clove. The taste is also orange-heavy with faint clove spice and alcohol esters. This one is overly carbonated bordering on fizzy which detracts from the overall mouthfeel. It's medium bodied and smooth.

Ultimately, this is drinkable, but there's nothing here that would have me putting a "Grand Cru" title on it. For me this is nothing more than an amped up version of the original with more booze and a ton of orange zest.

3.99/5  rDev +19.5%

I don't normally mention packaging, but Blue Moon has done a great job with this one. Quite nice.

I was quite surprised when I poured it to find large flakes of sedimented yeast, and possibly proteins, swirling about the glass. The majority of the large chunks broke up and settled to the bottom of the glass, but much of it remained suspended like stars in the sky.

Beyond that, the body was an orange color, and it was quite cloudy. I dipped my finger into it and had to bring it within a half inch of the glass to be able to see it. Prior to that I waited to see how well the head held up, and unfortunately it didn't do real well. It initially rose up with about a half inch or so of creamy foam, but that readily dropped to a quarter before it started dissolving in the center, leaving it with an eighth inch or so of creamy collar. It left full rings of thin lacing about the glass, however, which was nice; but they also eroded more quickly than they should have.

In the nose it was, not surprisingly, fairly yeasty. Some very nice orange character came through, and made up the bulk of its scent. Hmm, there's perhaps a bit of lemon (or is that lime?) as well. Coriander, like the dried seeds (not ground), rounds it out. And the fruitiness of the standard Blue Moon was there as well. In fact, it smelled quite like the regular Blue Moon with a tiny bit of not quite describable spicing.

In the flavor the comparison to the standard offering continues. And I guess that's not surprising as 90 or so percent of what we 'taste' is actually smell. NOTE: "Duh", it says right on the back label that it's a "bolder take on our classic". So there you have it. Except I will certainly say that this is far more balanced. When I enjoy a Blue Moon I always feel that it's a little over-done for the style, that it's heavy handed on malt, and this is not. It's much more rounded or 'flat' with the sweet malt lessened and the alcohol thinning what's there. That said, the alcohol never really appears. It's nicely masked, although at 8.2% with a little bit of spicing involved, that's not too hard to do.

The body is medium leaning towards a thin edge, and it's brightly crisp despite the seemingly natural carbonation. The comparison is now inevitable, so I'll say that I find it 'at least seemingly' thinner than the regular... maybe that's the alcohol cutting through. (?)

As to drinkability, I plowed through the large bottle in no time, although the alcohol did slow me with about 9 ounces to go. That's pretty good. But then the question remains, 'would I want another one'? I don't know. I guess I'd have to say no. I'd definitely want another one for a future tasting, but there's not really enough complexity to it to make me want to have any more in one sitting; and I guess to be honest, the lack of complexity was what led me to consume it so quickly in the first place.

It's a good beer. I liked it. I enjoyed it. I don't think it was worth the price, and I think there are better beers out there, but in all honesty I think I'll probably buy more to bring to holiday dinners and what not as it's not uber expensive and people will appreciate it and be charmed by it. "Now to the spicy brown ale".

3.57/5  rDev +6.9%

A- Pours a hazy golden orangish color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is mostly orange peel and coriander with some wheat and yeast as well.

T- The taste starts out with some wheat malt with an almost honey-like sweetness and some spices.

M- The mouthfeel is in between light and medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, definitely a step up from the original Blue Moon bit nothing I would purchase on a regular basis.

750ml bottle from BevMo.

Pours a sickly looking hazy golden-orange with some chunks floating in the beer. Small, fading white head.

Aroma is not good. Orange peel, coriander, and wheat, as expected.

Flavor is also pretty...well...meh. Like a boozier Blue Moon really. Orange, coriander, and rough wheat. Not at all balanced.

Palate is too boozy and thin. Not too much to it.

This beer is nasty, not because it's BMC, but because it's nasty. Should've been a drain pour, but I choked my 5oz down. Fail.

3.69/5  rDev +10.5%

This 2009 vintage bottle came from my cellar. When I had it fresh, it was unimpressive, but it cellared well, and except for the big chunky sediment (so the beer was poured carefully off of the sediment instead of being rolled to distribute the yeast), was surprisingly good.

A: hazy orangish gold with slight off-white head of small bubbles that fades to a ring and generates minimal lacing, significant amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle

S: nice combination of orange, pineapple, and malt

T: pineapple, bready, orange, woody, coriander, moderate hop bittering

M: medium body, no alcohol warmth

O: interesting added pineapple component gave some complexity and made this beer quite drinkable. The main offputting note is the visual chunks.

3.64/5  rDev +9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazed up peach color with a pinky of sand colored head. Stays hazy with a trace of lacing & head retention

S: Dirty apple skins & some apple blossom

T: Peach, light citrus hop signature & honey up front, plus a bit of white pepper. As this warms, grainyness & apple peels come to the front, along with phenols, coriander, pineapple & juicy fruit gum. Finished fruitty, grainy with a touch of booze & grapefruit. If this would've pulled together a bit better, ii would've pulled a 4.0

MF: Medium bodied with low carbonation

Drinks easy enough, but for the money there are better IMP Wits or Wits, call it what you will...

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%

So I saw this at one of the local beer stores and I figured that I would give it a whirl. How bad could this be? I had very very low expectations. BM Grand Cru turned out to be a pretty decent brew, but nothing overwhelming.

A- Beautiful golden pineapple colored beer with a fairly large white head. This looked like a pineapple cream soda in my Duvel tulip.

S- Very fruity. Passion fruits, pineapple, orange.

T- Spices and fruit again. Most notably orange peel, coriander, lemons, clove, and tangerine. There was a tart quality to the beer that I did enjoy. However, I feel like this beer was pretty predictible.

M- Too thin for my liking. The beer turned out to be watery at the end.

D- Easy drinking witbier with no alcohol detected at all. This is a good introduction beer.

4.2/5  rDev +25.7%

I saw this and new I had to split a bottle with my brother. This beer was quite sweet, almost peach tasting. It poured out cloudy mango colored with a white head and some sediment. Smell was almost fruity . The beer was really thick. I could definetly go for another. Pretty good beer

2.52/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a pale orange color and has that whitish glow that wits have. It has a tight white head that settles down into a solid ring. The aroma has that same funk vegetal smell that their Belgian White has, which I find rather unpleasant. It must be the mix of the coriander and orange peel. The taste is of the coriander and lemon which is quickly overcome by a very grainy malt and raw alcohol flavor. The grain and alcohol gives the brew very earthy flavor which dominates everything else and strays away from what a wit should taste like, or a BSPA for that matter. The feel is fairly light with fizzy carbonation; finishes with a raw alcohol bitterness. This is a strikeout. It looks the part, smells a lot like their Belgian White (which some might like), but just misses on the flavor. The higher ABV is noticable and kills all of the other flavors. I think prefer this taste over the funk vegetal flavor of their Belgian White, but this does not resemble a wit bier or BSPA. Tastes like alcohol.

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Not bad for a BMC but...

Pretty good head on a very cloudy light orange and gold fluid. A bit of lace here and there. Smell is orange and wheat malt with a light clove spiciness and a touch of coriander. Quite a bit of alcohol. Taste follows the nose right down to the heat. Some light banana-ish flavors as well as some soap. I made the mistake of opening it up at something closer to 48 degrees instead of 40. I put the bottle in the fridge and my second glass was better integrated. Feel is light with a soft crispness. A considerable chalkiness as you work down the bottle and the yeast presence gets bigger. try to keep it out. Drinkabilty is not bad just not great and the chalkiness and heat certainly take away from the score here.

Not bad but remember to serve quite cold and pour slowly to keep the yeast out.

3.77/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a medium color hazy amber with a short but nice pure white head.

Nose perfumy lemon meringue, somewhat simple but sweetly lemony pleasant.

Mouthfeel is medium bodies with some "half and half" creamy character and light champagne type carbonation.

Flavors are elegant and plansant. Flavors have hints of spice and oranges, undertones of ginger and coriander. There is a pleasant lavendar character.

This beer is wonderfully balanced and elegant. I love big, giant beers; big giant flavors. Yet, this one is elegant, refined and remarkably attractive and drinkable. Very flavorful in it's elegance and quite nice.

Finish is spice, light grapefruit skin and bitter-sweet lemon.

(Please, avoid using the orange slice suggested on the back of the bottle! Otherwise, a bit simple but a very decent drink).

to view more.