Blue Moon Grand Cru - Coors Brewing Company

poor

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-13-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Grand Cru Alström Bros
Jdub983

12-07-2011 21:48:20 | More by Jdub983
BetweenTheLions

4.7/5  rDev +40.7%

The brew appears a dark blonde fermented pissy color, with large chunks of sediment. I love it.

I smell a Super BubbleGummy Coriander dominance, with a tinge of pleasant alcohol.

The taste is awesome. It's like liquid candy. Like Carbonated Coriander Bubble Gum. The high alcohol barely comes through. I can't get enough of it, I'm taking drink after drink as I peck this review out. It's bordering on cloying, dangerously close to that Cloy Line, but it doesn't reach it.

It feels Smooth in the mouth, with a light syrupyness, both in feeling and flavor.

Drinkability? Well damn, I feel like I could go through a couple 750 ml bottles of this. Devilishly deceptively dopely drinkable.

Thanks for reading!

02-06-2011 16:21:51 | More by BetweenTheLions
azorie

4.58/5  rDev +37.1%

A: poured into a tulip glass for this tasting, saved the yeast for the 2nd glass. Pale yellow and cloudy and even orange almost with the yeast poured into it. No head at all with a easy pour.

S: reminds me of the old hoegarden before inbev screwed it up. Very Orange/citrus front end, wheat malt of course hit you. Its smells like a strong wit and its is so bingo its a winner.

T: orange and coriander with the good wheat malt background, the alcohol is not detectable, no hops, but its very balanced. not as sweet with the yeast poured into the glass. You detect the candy sugar in at as after taste but its very normal for a "imperial" witbier if you will. Nice near perfect, its weird I love "summer" beers all year long.

M: medium body, smooth to drink no alcohol burn at all.

D: 2 glass went down so fast and so easy its perfect "session" beer if you used to higher abv like I am.

12-20-2009 20:54:34 | More by azorie
sauron681

Wisconsin

4.55/5  rDev +36.2%

Call me a sucka, but this is one of my favorite styles. And this one does not disappoint. I constantly try to clone this in my homebrewing.

Pours a hazy straw color, with good head and sticky lacing. Good carbonation throughout the 750ml. Smells of orange and something other than corriander.

Medium body in the mouth with hints of spice, orange and very sweet, but not to overpowering. A bit of an alchohol aftertaste. Lingers long in the mouth. I was quite impressed for this "americanized" wit.

05-25-2010 03:11:11 | More by sauron681

DaveD56

03-30-2012 00:49:34 | More by DaveD56
Yekaterina

4.38/5  rDev +31.1%

I picked this one up at Hannaford on my way home from work. It looked interesting but didn't have a price on it, I grabbed an Arrogant Bastard as well, hehehe ;-)
I was a little surprised when I got to the register; I had not planned on spending 10 dollars on one beer tonight, but it looked promising enough and I made good tips so I said what the hell?
I was very impressed with this beer's appearance. I was admiring it's color, which was gold and translucent. The head was about two fingers, nice and creamy. When I held the glass up to admire it's beautiful color one more time, I noticed what appeared to be (and also tastes like) fruit pulp.
It's flavor was very unique, the orange peel and coriander are the main flavors. It's taste is reminiscent of that of regular blue moon but at the same time I can't really compare it to anything I've ever had. But Kevin and I both enjoyed it very much.
The mouthfeel was interesting, we could still feel it on our palettes after our glasses were empty. As far as drinkability goes, watch out! It certainly doesn't taste like it's 8.2% Me personally, I could stick with this all night if I wanted to. I'd have to pace myself a little differently because it is a high octane brew. This beer's body is on the fuller side (which I find preferable.) Some people may disagree with me about it's drinkability.

12-29-2009 09:09:30 | More by Yekaterina
godlessape

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +30.2%

I poured this one from the bottle into a 24oz mug, and paired it with a thick, juicy T-bone with some home made pico de gallo on the side. This worked out quite well.

Appearance: Pissy orange, and extremely cloudy, with small chunks of orange peel madly swirling around like the inside of a snow globe. No head to speak of here.

Smell: Just a little malt, a little orange and coriander and a whole lot of alcohol.

Taste: This beer tastes really good. Perfect balance of malt and hops and not overly spiced--the orange comes through very nicely.

Mouthfeel: Very heavy, medium body, and just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall: Great beer, at a really great price. Oh hell, I paid $1:87 for a 24OZ bottle, thus I have no complaints here.

05-16-2011 23:39:19 | More by godlessape
Njstoutlover23

05-04-2012 02:16:33 | More by Njstoutlover23
ThinkRedEsq

08-05-2012 03:36:54 | More by ThinkRedEsq
justincolts

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

I had seen this before but never felt like dropping $10 just to have a beer, but knowing that NYE 2009 is a blue moon and considering Blue Moon Coors made this for that situation, I decided I would give it a whirl. I wanted to wait and save it for NYE but I'm like a big kid and couldn't. Think Blue Moon with this, but a bit more , and certainly with a bit more abv at 8.2% It, as it has been said, is doubtfully worth $10 but ok nonetheless. Pours a golden orange color like a blue moon, with a pretty good smell, and a decent head that eventually disappears. You can smell the citrusy orange and coriander. Pretty good taste, and certainly a good mouthfeel and drinkability for this high abv.

12-30-2009 23:21:18 | More by justincolts
hdofu

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +26.3%

I saw this and new I had to split a bottle with my brother. This beer was quite sweet, almost peach tasting. It poured out cloudy mango colored with a white head and some sediment. Smell was almost fruity . The beer was really thick. I could definetly go for another. Pretty good beer

11-25-2009 02:17:43 | More by hdofu
Brianmerrilyn

4.22/5  rDev +26.3%

Regardless of what beer snobs say, Blue Moon Wit is a good beer. I saw this at Skibbo's this weekend and figured if it was a Grand Cru, there must have been something extra and pulled for the 750.

A: Poured into a Wurzberger Hofbrau .5ml glass to reveal a cloudy heavy turbidity chunky laced yellow/orange one finger head. Minimul lacing but good retention.

S: Nice and yeasty as I had hoped for with a Grand Cru of the same style. Perhaps a double wit but after all the bottle does detail "limited edition". The citric notes are subdued but still linger around enough.

T: A quick blast of sweet orange comes wrapped around yeast to deliver a strong malt profile. You get the extra ABV in a good way very quickly with this special batch. I enjoyed the spice addition to counter-balance the sweetness from the esters and malt.

M: This is a thick big boy without a shadow of a doubt. Each swirl gives you a nice balance of yeast, spice, hops and esters. While heavy, it works well for me.

D: A stronger version than the regular and a bigger improvement. While most Americans "can't handle the truth" of flavor and taste, this one eschew's the weaklings and goes full throttle. This is not a beer for some wussie piece of fruit on your glass if you can't handle the yeast/wheat flavor. If you like full bodies Belgian style Wit by the "Yanks" this is a good start.

01-17-2010 19:05:16 | More by Brianmerrilyn
fjordhook

4.15/5  rDev +24.3%

It pours with a light golden color with a strong opaque body. You can definitely see flakes floating in the beer, but that didn't deter me at all. It had a nice strong smell, with light hints of orange and lemon with the lemon being more predominant. After the first sip, it tasted exactly the way I thought it would... a more alcoholic blue moon. I enjoyed this way more than a regular blue moon, normally I think they are just too sweet. I though this was a pretty good alteration of the original recipe.

01-21-2010 03:01:42 | More by fjordhook
Spineypanda

4.13/5  rDev +23.7%

Pours a strong golden color and is very cloudy with a lot of sediment, and a large long lasting head.
Smells of citrus fruits and the classic wheat smell with some peppery smells as well.
Tastes very citrusy and the alcohol flavor is strong and blends well with it.
A great beer from a source not expected.

12-03-2009 04:37:05 | More by Spineypanda
mooseisloose

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Cruising the supermarket picking up pizza and, what next, beer, saw the big neck of this "true bomber" 25.4 oz, 1 liter and pulled it from it's back stashed position. When I saw Coors I was disappointed but intrigued, as the checkout rang it up at $7.99! Well Blue Moon is always a value, let's give it's potentially overpriced brother a whirl. Starting with the appearance, when it was still in the frig this baby had alot of fish food flake sized floaties. Let's pop it. Popping the top, and once it as cracked it almost blew off, I get a nice sweet rush of zest. Pouring into a chalice reveals an opaque bright yellow orange brew with a micro bubble head that disappears quickly. On the taste this beer makes its marks. Starts a s a citrus-y orange then quickly delivers some of the 8.2 ABV warming, followed by a zesty and spice filled middle, ending with a champagne like semi-bitter finish and aftertaste. An extremely refreshing beer, would have went great with the pizza but saved it to drink later. This is almost like a wheaty mimosa. A great specialty by a BMC brewer that, contrary to popular opinion, can brew a beer that blows Joe Craft Brewer into the weeds, but hey, they are in the business to make money and until the masses convert, we will only chastize them. I'll buy this again it's a real bomber volume (1 liter) that beats the other guys by 15% right off the bat!

12-11-2010 22:31:09 | More by mooseisloose
HighballurRollby

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Just thought I'd give this a go after passing it up several times despite it catching my eye every time. I'm a fan of Blue Moon belgian white.

Pouring it makes me think I'm about to have a regular blue moon, but I'm not. I'm looking for what is different about this beer compared to the standard. The most noticeable characteristic to me is the increased alcohol taste lingering in the finish, and I can feel it go down. So its a bit more rough than the standard. Taste is of malted oats, wheat, and Big orange peel and coriander. Taste like oranges simmered on a frying pan and then dipped in alcohol. I'm not getting a whole lot more flavors, BUT it may just be that my palate isn't a refined as someone who might be able to tell all the differences well. This is not a turn off though at all, in fact I think its great that it tastes similar to regular blue moon, and that it gets me warm twice as quick. It's definetly full bodied, and is carbonated in moderation.
I see that this brew is not getting that great of press for what its supposed to be, a "grand cru", but I think that it might have something to do with it being affiliated with a macro. To me, its regular blue moon with an alcohol kick, what's not to like about that?! At least Coors is trying, lets give them that won't we?

01-29-2012 10:34:23 | More by HighballurRollby
willmc

Oklahoma

4.08/5  rDev +22.2%

Aromas of flowers and lemonly citrus wheat on the nose. Taste is a little sweeter than I was expecting, wheat and earthy. Poured nicely into a pilsner glass with a finger thick white head, which fizzels out very quickly leaving no lacing what so ever. Over all I think this is a pretty good beer, great effort by the guys over at Coors. Very drinkable. cheers!

11-19-2009 05:06:53 | More by willmc
jgasparine

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sampled on 11-20-2010

A- Poured from the bottle with a thin offwhite head, which quickly evaporated to a haze layer over an extremely turbid honey-colored body. Well carbonated.

S- The aroma is a very strong honey-like nose. I'm just getting honey and some wheat-like aromatics. Very simple nose, but nice.

T- Up front the beer is malty. Midway you're hit with some mild earthy hop flavor, some tangy wheat and some mild Belgian yeast phenolics. The finish is slightly acidic and tangy (presumably from the wheat), nutty and an echo of booze. The finish was surpisingly complex and sustained.

M- Medium body. Somewhat coarse carbonation. Moderate astringency and a little heat from the ethanol.

D- Surprisingly drinkable- one of the better offerings I have had from Coors!

01-14-2011 00:07:51 | More by jgasparine
JamesS

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a very nice, if bubbly, pale yellow with some very nice head and a bit of lacing. Nice wheat malty scent, farm like, with a bit of spice/pepper in the nose. Nice flavor, a very deep wheat flavor with just a bit of yeast spiciness. Goes down fine, one of the best "macro" produced big beers I've ever had.

01-09-2010 14:36:55 | More by JamesS
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%

Blue Moon Gran Cru is a great choice for all blue moon fans. Tastes similar to blue moon, but with a much bolder taste. Its a shame its a limited edition brew, and it was quite pricey as well, but somehting worthy to pick up once to try.

Appearance: It was the golden color of blue moon, but appered to be unfiltered, but there was much more sediment then most unfiltered beers

Smell: Not a bad smell, but nothing speical either

Taste: Great taste, similar to blue moon, but much stronger, what is there not to love about that

02-16-2010 03:29:21 | More by vette2006c5r
PBoegel

4.03/5  rDev +20.7%

poured from 750 ml bottle into duvel tulip (these are not bombers). some flakey cloudiness in a generally good looking cloudy wit body, light orange very hazy with a cream white head which breaks fairly easily.

aromas are floral, lemon grass, Thai basil, faint licorice and hints of just ripe banana and crushed clove.

flavor profile is mix of lemon citrusy characte, notes of licorice and subtle hints of vanilla and ginger. Alcohol is apparent but not at all disruptive lends a more floral slightly chamomile attribute.

excellent wit like slick slightly oily medium body, specifically to heft of grand cru, finish is nice and toward dry helped by alcohol cleansing the palate.

I suspect most people will review this with a macro brew prejudice vs an open mind much like when AB was releasing their brewmasters reserve. This is good but slightly expensive at roughly $10 a bottle.

01-11-2010 01:21:30 | More by PBoegel
WesWes

4.03/5  rDev +20.7%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has an earthy/yeasty scent along with a subtle hint of coriander and orange peel. The pale and wheat malt aroma is well integrated making this a very well rounded beer. The taste is good. It has a monster malt kick as well as an equally large yeast finish. The orange peel is faint at best. The same goes for the coriander. This is actually a damn good beer. I think these guys finally figured something out. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a pleasant surprise from Coors. I like Blue Moon, but I was skeptical about this one due to the recent Blue Moon spin-offs.

12-16-2009 20:19:04 | More by WesWes