Blue Moon Grand Cru - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-13-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Grand Cru Alström Bros
Ratings: 346 | Reviews: 203
4.65/5  rDev +39.2%

The brew appears a dark blonde fermented pissy color, with large chunks of sediment. I love it.

I smell a Super BubbleGummy Coriander dominance, with a tinge of pleasant alcohol.

The taste is awesome. It's like liquid candy. Like Carbonated Coriander Bubble Gum. The high alcohol barely comes through. I can't get enough of it, I'm taking drink after drink as I peck this review out. It's bordering on cloying, dangerously close to that Cloy Line, but it doesn't reach it.

It feels Smooth in the mouth, with a light syrupyness, both in feeling and flavor.

Drinkability? Well damn, I feel like I could go through a couple 750 ml bottles of this. Devilishly deceptively dopely drinkable.

Thanks for reading!

4.57/5  rDev +36.8%

A: poured into a tulip glass for this tasting, saved the yeast for the 2nd glass. Pale yellow and cloudy and even orange almost with the yeast poured into it. No head at all with a easy pour.

S: reminds me of the old hoegarden before inbev screwed it up. Very Orange/citrus front end, wheat malt of course hit you. Its smells like a strong wit and its is so bingo its a winner.

T: orange and coriander with the good wheat malt background, the alcohol is not detectable, no hops, but its very balanced. not as sweet with the yeast poured into the glass. You detect the candy sugar in at as after taste but its very normal for a "imperial" witbier if you will. Nice near perfect, its weird I love "summer" beers all year long.

M: medium body, smooth to drink no alcohol burn at all.

D: 2 glass went down so fast and so easy its perfect "session" beer if you used to higher abv like I am.

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

Call me a sucka, but this is one of my favorite styles. And this one does not disappoint. I constantly try to clone this in my homebrewing.

Pours a hazy straw color, with good head and sticky lacing. Good carbonation throughout the 750ml. Smells of orange and something other than corriander.

Medium body in the mouth with hints of spice, orange and very sweet, but not to overpowering. A bit of an alchohol aftertaste. Lingers long in the mouth. I was quite impressed for this "americanized" wit.

4.36/5  rDev +30.5%

I picked this one up at Hannaford on my way home from work. It looked interesting but didn't have a price on it, I grabbed an Arrogant Bastard as well, hehehe ;-)
I was a little surprised when I got to the register; I had not planned on spending 10 dollars on one beer tonight, but it looked promising enough and I made good tips so I said what the hell?
I was very impressed with this beer's appearance. I was admiring it's color, which was gold and translucent. The head was about two fingers, nice and creamy. When I held the glass up to admire it's beautiful color one more time, I noticed what appeared to be (and also tastes like) fruit pulp.
It's flavor was very unique, the orange peel and coriander are the main flavors. It's taste is reminiscent of that of regular blue moon but at the same time I can't really compare it to anything I've ever had. But Kevin and I both enjoyed it very much.
The mouthfeel was interesting, we could still feel it on our palettes after our glasses were empty. As far as drinkability goes, watch out! It certainly doesn't taste like it's 8.2% Me personally, I could stick with this all night if I wanted to. I'd have to pace myself a little differently because it is a high octane brew. This beer's body is on the fuller side (which I find preferable.) Some people may disagree with me about it's drinkability.

4.27/5  rDev +27.8%

I had seen this before but never felt like dropping $10 just to have a beer, but knowing that NYE 2009 is a blue moon and considering Blue Moon Coors made this for that situation, I decided I would give it a whirl. I wanted to wait and save it for NYE but I'm like a big kid and couldn't. Think Blue Moon with this, but a bit more , and certainly with a bit more abv at 8.2% It, as it has been said, is doubtfully worth $10 but ok nonetheless. Pours a golden orange color like a blue moon, with a pretty good smell, and a decent head that eventually disappears. You can smell the citrusy orange and coriander. Pretty good taste, and certainly a good mouthfeel and drinkability for this high abv.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

I poured this one from the bottle into a 24oz mug, and paired it with a thick, juicy T-bone with some home made pico de gallo on the side. This worked out quite well.

Appearance: Pissy orange, and extremely cloudy, with small chunks of orange peel madly swirling around like the inside of a snow globe. No head to speak of here.

Smell: Just a little malt, a little orange and coriander and a whole lot of alcohol.

Taste: This beer tastes really good. Perfect balance of malt and hops and not overly spiced--the orange comes through very nicely.

Mouthfeel: Very heavy, medium body, and just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall: Great beer, at a really great price. Oh hell, I paid $1:87 for a 24OZ bottle, thus I have no complaints here.

4.2/5  rDev +25.7%

I saw this and new I had to split a bottle with my brother. This beer was quite sweet, almost peach tasting. It poured out cloudy mango colored with a white head and some sediment. Smell was almost fruity . The beer was really thick. I could definetly go for another. Pretty good beer

4.2/5  rDev +25.7%

Regardless of what beer snobs say, Blue Moon Wit is a good beer. I saw this at Skibbo's this weekend and figured if it was a Grand Cru, there must have been something extra and pulled for the 750.

A: Poured into a Wurzberger Hofbrau .5ml glass to reveal a cloudy heavy turbidity chunky laced yellow/orange one finger head. Minimul lacing but good retention.

S: Nice and yeasty as I had hoped for with a Grand Cru of the same style. Perhaps a double wit but after all the bottle does detail "limited edition". The citric notes are subdued but still linger around enough.

T: A quick blast of sweet orange comes wrapped around yeast to deliver a strong malt profile. You get the extra ABV in a good way very quickly with this special batch. I enjoyed the spice addition to counter-balance the sweetness from the esters and malt.

M: This is a thick big boy without a shadow of a doubt. Each swirl gives you a nice balance of yeast, spice, hops and esters. While heavy, it works well for me.

D: A stronger version than the regular and a bigger improvement. While most Americans "can't handle the truth" of flavor and taste, this one eschew's the weaklings and goes full throttle. This is not a beer for some wussie piece of fruit on your glass if you can't handle the yeast/wheat flavor. If you like full bodies Belgian style Wit by the "Yanks" this is a good start.

4.13/5  rDev +23.7%

Pours a strong golden color and is very cloudy with a lot of sediment, and a large long lasting head.
Smells of citrus fruits and the classic wheat smell with some peppery smells as well.
Tastes very citrusy and the alcohol flavor is strong and blends well with it.
A great beer from a source not expected.

4.12/5  rDev +23.4%

It pours with a light golden color with a strong opaque body. You can definitely see flakes floating in the beer, but that didn't deter me at all. It had a nice strong smell, with light hints of orange and lemon with the lemon being more predominant. After the first sip, it tasted exactly the way I thought it would... a more alcoholic blue moon. I enjoyed this way more than a regular blue moon, normally I think they are just too sweet. I though this was a pretty good alteration of the original recipe.

4.12/5  rDev +23.4%

Just thought I'd give this a go after passing it up several times despite it catching my eye every time. I'm a fan of Blue Moon belgian white.

Pouring it makes me think I'm about to have a regular blue moon, but I'm not. I'm looking for what is different about this beer compared to the standard. The most noticeable characteristic to me is the increased alcohol taste lingering in the finish, and I can feel it go down. So its a bit more rough than the standard. Taste is of malted oats, wheat, and Big orange peel and coriander. Taste like oranges simmered on a frying pan and then dipped in alcohol. I'm not getting a whole lot more flavors, BUT it may just be that my palate isn't a refined as someone who might be able to tell all the differences well. This is not a turn off though at all, in fact I think its great that it tastes similar to regular blue moon, and that it gets me warm twice as quick. It's definetly full bodied, and is carbonated in moderation.
I see that this brew is not getting that great of press for what its supposed to be, a "grand cru", but I think that it might have something to do with it being affiliated with a macro. To me, its regular blue moon with an alcohol kick, what's not to like about that?! At least Coors is trying, lets give them that won't we?

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Cruising the supermarket picking up pizza and, what next, beer, saw the big neck of this "true bomber" 25.4 oz, 1 liter and pulled it from it's back stashed position. When I saw Coors I was disappointed but intrigued, as the checkout rang it up at $7.99! Well Blue Moon is always a value, let's give it's potentially overpriced brother a whirl. Starting with the appearance, when it was still in the frig this baby had alot of fish food flake sized floaties. Let's pop it. Popping the top, and once it as cracked it almost blew off, I get a nice sweet rush of zest. Pouring into a chalice reveals an opaque bright yellow orange brew with a micro bubble head that disappears quickly. On the taste this beer makes its marks. Starts a s a citrus-y orange then quickly delivers some of the 8.2 ABV warming, followed by a zesty and spice filled middle, ending with a champagne like semi-bitter finish and aftertaste. An extremely refreshing beer, would have went great with the pizza but saved it to drink later. This is almost like a wheaty mimosa. A great specialty by a BMC brewer that, contrary to popular opinion, can brew a beer that blows Joe Craft Brewer into the weeds, but hey, they are in the business to make money and until the masses convert, we will only chastize them. I'll buy this again it's a real bomber volume (1 liter) that beats the other guys by 15% right off the bat!

4.07/5  rDev +21.9%

Aromas of flowers and lemonly citrus wheat on the nose. Taste is a little sweeter than I was expecting, wheat and earthy. Poured nicely into a pilsner glass with a finger thick white head, which fizzels out very quickly leaving no lacing what so ever. Over all I think this is a pretty good beer, great effort by the guys over at Coors. Very drinkable. cheers!

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a very nice, if bubbly, pale yellow with some very nice head and a bit of lacing. Nice wheat malty scent, farm like, with a bit of spice/pepper in the nose. Nice flavor, a very deep wheat flavor with just a bit of yeast spiciness. Goes down fine, one of the best "macro" produced big beers I've ever had.

4.02/5  rDev +20.4%

poured from 750 ml bottle into duvel tulip (these are not bombers). some flakey cloudiness in a generally good looking cloudy wit body, light orange very hazy with a cream white head which breaks fairly easily.

aromas are floral, lemon grass, Thai basil, faint licorice and hints of just ripe banana and crushed clove.

flavor profile is mix of lemon citrusy characte, notes of licorice and subtle hints of vanilla and ginger. Alcohol is apparent but not at all disruptive lends a more floral slightly chamomile attribute.

excellent wit like slick slightly oily medium body, specifically to heft of grand cru, finish is nice and toward dry helped by alcohol cleansing the palate.

I suspect most people will review this with a macro brew prejudice vs an open mind much like when AB was releasing their brewmasters reserve. This is good but slightly expensive at roughly $10 a bottle.

4.02/5  rDev +20.4%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has an earthy/yeasty scent along with a subtle hint of coriander and orange peel. The pale and wheat malt aroma is well integrated making this a very well rounded beer. The taste is good. It has a monster malt kick as well as an equally large yeast finish. The orange peel is faint at best. The same goes for the coriander. This is actually a damn good beer. I think these guys finally figured something out. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a pleasant surprise from Coors. I like Blue Moon, but I was skeptical about this one due to the recent Blue Moon spin-offs.

4.01/5  rDev +20.1%

The appearance was light in color and the head was ample and went away quickly.

The smell was orangery (just like anything from Blue Moon). There were a few different spices coming from my glass, but I could not identify them as they could not provide me with a sniffer only a pint glass to drink from.

The taste was a little bland but was ok, just not what I was in the mood for. At the price I expected more.

Mouthefeel was surprisingly good, it was light and bubbly like a champagne but with a beer taste.

Drinkability was good, I could drink this all night long.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a UK Guinness pint glass. Pours a nice thick two finger head with almost no lacing and dissipates very quickly. Very cloudy with a lot of sediment, much more than regular Blue Moon. Aroma, picking up a lot of citrus and some hints of banana. Taste is somewhat like regular Blue Moon but stronger and more complex. Getting a lot of citrus here as well. You can definitely notice the higher ABV. Coming from Blue Moon I think this is a really good beer, maybe their best yet. I would drink this again, but the price tag is a little steep.

Sampled on 12-5-09
Best before 4-12-10

Pours a completely cloudy pale orange color, with lots of bubbles rising to the surface. A filmy white head rings the edges, and slowly slides down.

Smell is all banana, a bit of coriander, and a little wheaty. Not very complex, but really quite enjoyable.

Taste is exactly like the smell, bready with a fruity edge. The finish is surprisingly clean, with a light booze in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is right for the style, thick with just the perfect amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is very good, you could drink this all night.

Overall, I'm impressed. Even though it's made by Coors, I've had many witbiers that are not this well made.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sampled on 11-20-2010

A- Poured from the bottle with a thin offwhite head, which quickly evaporated to a haze layer over an extremely turbid honey-colored body. Well carbonated.

S- The aroma is a very strong honey-like nose. I'm just getting honey and some wheat-like aromatics. Very simple nose, but nice.

T- Up front the beer is malty. Midway you're hit with some mild earthy hop flavor, some tangy wheat and some mild Belgian yeast phenolics. The finish is slightly acidic and tangy (presumably from the wheat), nutty and an echo of booze. The finish was surpisingly complex and sustained.

M- Medium body. Somewhat coarse carbonation. Moderate astringency and a little heat from the ethanol.

D- Surprisingly drinkable- one of the better offerings I have had from Coors!

750ml bottle

Pours a very hazy/cloudy pale yellow color with a medium sized and sticky white head. Instant banana yeast esters rise from the glass as soon as the brew is poured, nothing shocking here some coriander and orange peel with a slight wave of alcohol. Smells a bit more intense than its little bro. Soft, toasty and pronounced wheat character. On the lighter side of medium bodied, highly carbonated and very drinkable for 8.2%. Not bad at all, i actually quite enjoyed this one.

Appearance: Cloudy light orangey/brown color.
Aroma: Just a little malt, a little orange and coriander and a whole lot of alcohol.
Taste: The flavor is slightly like Blue Moon but better. Orange flavor is also much more present. The alcohol is definitely more noticeable. Sweet malts upfront with some orange. This is a full bodied ale; the finish has a twang.
Overall: Good beer, greet improvement over standard Blue Moon. The alcohol does, however, permeate through. Its full body is great on a cold night. This is a must try.

3.99/5  rDev +19.5%

I don't normally mention packaging, but Blue Moon has done a great job with this one. Quite nice.

I was quite surprised when I poured it to find large flakes of sedimented yeast, and possibly proteins, swirling about the glass. The majority of the large chunks broke up and settled to the bottom of the glass, but much of it remained suspended like stars in the sky.

Beyond that, the body was an orange color, and it was quite cloudy. I dipped my finger into it and had to bring it within a half inch of the glass to be able to see it. Prior to that I waited to see how well the head held up, and unfortunately it didn't do real well. It initially rose up with about a half inch or so of creamy foam, but that readily dropped to a quarter before it started dissolving in the center, leaving it with an eighth inch or so of creamy collar. It left full rings of thin lacing about the glass, however, which was nice; but they also eroded more quickly than they should have.

In the nose it was, not surprisingly, fairly yeasty. Some very nice orange character came through, and made up the bulk of its scent. Hmm, there's perhaps a bit of lemon (or is that lime?) as well. Coriander, like the dried seeds (not ground), rounds it out. And the fruitiness of the standard Blue Moon was there as well. In fact, it smelled quite like the regular Blue Moon with a tiny bit of not quite describable spicing.

In the flavor the comparison to the standard offering continues. And I guess that's not surprising as 90 or so percent of what we 'taste' is actually smell. NOTE: "Duh", it says right on the back label that it's a "bolder take on our classic". So there you have it. Except I will certainly say that this is far more balanced. When I enjoy a Blue Moon I always feel that it's a little over-done for the style, that it's heavy handed on malt, and this is not. It's much more rounded or 'flat' with the sweet malt lessened and the alcohol thinning what's there. That said, the alcohol never really appears. It's nicely masked, although at 8.2% with a little bit of spicing involved, that's not too hard to do.

The body is medium leaning towards a thin edge, and it's brightly crisp despite the seemingly natural carbonation. The comparison is now inevitable, so I'll say that I find it 'at least seemingly' thinner than the regular... maybe that's the alcohol cutting through. (?)

As to drinkability, I plowed through the large bottle in no time, although the alcohol did slow me with about 9 ounces to go. That's pretty good. But then the question remains, 'would I want another one'? I don't know. I guess I'd have to say no. I'd definitely want another one for a future tasting, but there's not really enough complexity to it to make me want to have any more in one sitting; and I guess to be honest, the lack of complexity was what led me to consume it so quickly in the first place.

It's a good beer. I liked it. I enjoyed it. I don't think it was worth the price, and I think there are better beers out there, but in all honesty I think I'll probably buy more to bring to holiday dinners and what not as it's not uber expensive and people will appreciate it and be charmed by it. "Now to the spicy brown ale".

3.98/5  rDev +19.2%

Four words I thought I'd never see: Blue Moon Grand Cru. Still, I had to check this out.

Pours a cloudy orange-blond-white color with a two-finger head into my fluted tulip. Very good, presentation-wise.

Aroma is full of citrus (orange, lemon) and coriander in the nose with a good hint of wheat malt. Somewhat peppery as well.

Taste is full of orange, coriander, lemon and pepper. Alcohol makes its' presence known. Good amount of wheat (bready) and even a bit chewy.

Mouthfeel is pretty much the same but alcohol heat starts to take over and overwhelm other flavors by just a bit.

A decent stab at a double white here. With some aging, it might be even more desirable. Complex and maybe it will help Blue Moon drinkers make the transition to stronger beers. Then again, maybe not. Still worth a try even at nearly $10 a bottle.

3.93/5  rDev +17.7%

It's not fair to compare a beer to anything except what the brewers want it to be. Blue Moon is one of the few ales brewed by the mega-brewers. Congrats to Coors for at least ATTEMPTING to put out a bomber of quality beer. Of any mega-beer I would like to see a limited edition of, it's Blue Moon. That said, I am expecting this beer not to rival any trappist (Rochefort brewery has had 414 years to get it right, and the have) or traditional Belgian ales, but to be a souped-up version of Blue Moon itself.

Upon first pour, a nice creamy pinky-width head formed with a medium pour into my pint glass. The head is nice and sticky and has thus far (5 minutes) stuck around with a nice lacing.

The sniffage emits a Belgian yeast and coriander mixture with a hint of the great wheat sweetness. The citrus comes through subtly, but I expect much more of that on the palate.

True to what I expected...this is Blue Moon with more blue and more moon...and definitely more alcohol. The alcohol is extremely subtle for it's 8.2% ABV. It's body is a bit heavier and I detect a bit more hop character than the original, which is a very pleasant contrast to the sweet wheat malts.

As noted before, the Grand Cru body has a bit more to it. It is more creamy than sticky (creamy doesn't leave quite the lacing that creamy does), but the carbonation is a little rougher than expected, but by no means is it abrasive. Typical Belgian non-Trappist beers tend to have large dense bubbles, so I take the Grand Cru carbonation as pretty traditional.

Grand Cru is pretty much Blue Moon amped up a bit. Heavier body, heavier alcohol content, heavier spice flavor. Being a drinker of strong ales, this is really a unique twist on typical strong Belgian ales. Trappists have their own character, and so do the champagney Belgian-style ales from the US and abroad (Unabrue in Canada). I like the flavor and drinkability of Blue Moon in general (at least as a session when nothing else is available), and the same style made into a higher-quality strong ale is definitely a win for Coors.

If you're going to give Grand Cru a shot, drink a regular Blue Moon, cleanse your palate, and then sip some Cru so you can get the amped-up effect Coors was going for. And again...cudos to a mega-brewery for even ATTEMPTING a high-gravity style. Hopefully others follow suit.

UPDATE: After a single pint of the 750ml, the high ABV made my eyes bulge. Very smooth and clean effect. Another 12oz to go and I am pretty excited. Oh, and tip the beer upside down for a second before your first pour or you'll get all your sediment in your glass upon the second pour like I did. I happen to like sediment, so no biggie, but tipping probably would have evened it out...cheers!

Blue Moon Grand Cru from Coors Brewing Company