Blue Moon Grand Cru - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-13-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Grand Cru Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Vintage = 2011.

Glass = Tulip.

Temp. = 50F.

A- Hazy burnt orange color. 1-1/2 finger head of tight well formed bubbled that dissipate quickly. Descent lacing and some alcohol legs.

S- Sweet orange / citrus, banana from the yeast, spice and faint alcohol.

T- Orange, spice and banana yeast flavors. The not well concealed alcohol taste and mild hop round out this taste. If this beer were give 6 months to a year t age I think it alcohol forward taste would be less dominant.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, alcohol warmth.

O- This beer is what it is. The big, muscular brother of Blue Moon. Considering that this is a product produced by a Macro brewer (Coors) it is a very good attempt at a Belgian strong beer.
I like this beer for what it is and will age a bottle to see what I get. Hell, at $5.99 a bottle why not.

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%

A- Pours a hazy straw color. 1 finger of head. Not bad lacing.

S- Smells nice, a little banana seemed to hit me at first but upon further review it's more orange and spice, coriander I believe.

T- Orange and Coriander at first, but it finishes mostly alcohol. The 8% ABV isn't masked very well.

M- Medium body, medium carbonation. Slight alcohol burn is ever present.

O- I am sure many people will take this down a peg because of it being a Coors product; but I am a sucker for regular blue moon and enjoyed this as well. The lingering alcohol bite really brings it down a notch for me but overall it's a pretty good attempt at a craft beer.

4.12/5  rDev +21.9%

Just thought I'd give this a go after passing it up several times despite it catching my eye every time. I'm a fan of Blue Moon belgian white.

Pouring it makes me think I'm about to have a regular blue moon, but I'm not. I'm looking for what is different about this beer compared to the standard. The most noticeable characteristic to me is the increased alcohol taste lingering in the finish, and I can feel it go down. So its a bit more rough than the standard. Taste is of malted oats, wheat, and Big orange peel and coriander. Taste like oranges simmered on a frying pan and then dipped in alcohol. I'm not getting a whole lot more flavors, BUT it may just be that my palate isn't a refined as someone who might be able to tell all the differences well. This is not a turn off though at all, in fact I think its great that it tastes similar to regular blue moon, and that it gets me warm twice as quick. It's definetly full bodied, and is carbonated in moderation.
I see that this brew is not getting that great of press for what its supposed to be, a "grand cru", but I think that it might have something to do with it being affiliated with a macro. To me, its regular blue moon with an alcohol kick, what's not to like about that?! At least Coors is trying, lets give them that won't we?

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

After a few days off from blind beers, time to get a couple more in tonight. Blind #4 from johnbjaeger is a bomber, into my New Holland glass and Vickie Devil's Backbone snifter.

A-Pour is a hazy golden apricot. A light effervescent white head does not stick around long. 3.5

S-Some banana and clove notes here, a bit light. Bottle says 8.2% but nose says hefeweizen...I think. 3.5

T-Fruity, with apricot and banana, a modest amount of boozy heat in the finish and a nice bready malt base. 4.0

M-Medium bodied, light carbonation. 3.5

O-Pretty decent beer overall. 3.5

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

2010 bottle. Transfered over from old tasting notebook. I bought a bottle of this because I am a fan of Blue Moon, so I hoped that this one would be even better, not so much.

It pours a hazy orange- copper color with a small white head and little lacing. Smell is very similar to original blue moon, citrus, coriander, grains, a bit more alcohol on this one. Taste of citrus, grains, slight hops presence, not what I had hoped for. Alcohol is definitely more noticeable. Mouthfeel is decent.

This is still a decent brew, but for the money I paid for the bottle, I would just rather drink regular Blue Moon.

2.98/5  rDev -11.8%

A: This beer has a very cloudy orangish red with a little lace around the glass. Too me it looks like an apple cider.

S: There is a lot of citrus fruit on the nose. The biggest part of the nose is the orange and coriander. I am also getting banana, some apple and some slight pineapple.

T: Man I was really expecting a lot more from this beer. It is very watery, with some malt. It has a little bit of a coriander taste the more it lingers in your mouth, but I was expecting it to have a lot of flavor after the smell was so nice.

M: Very crisp and sort of burnt going down. I was hoping for it to be smoother like other witbier.

O: The appearance and smell of this beer were very nice. It caught my attention and got me excited to drink this beer.... but then the taste made me remember that Coors makes this beer.

3.03/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a dark, hazy orangish-yellow with a thin, foamy, fizzy lacing of head that fades very quickly. The nose is dominated by orange zest with undertones of lemongrass and faint clove. The taste is also orange-heavy with faint clove spice and alcohol esters. This one is overly carbonated bordering on fizzy which detracts from the overall mouthfeel. It's medium bodied and smooth.

Ultimately, this is drinkable, but there's nothing here that would have me putting a "Grand Cru" title on it. For me this is nothing more than an amped up version of the original with more booze and a ton of orange zest.

3.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: nice pale orange color, with a rich carbonation for a medium head that dissipates after not much time leaving a small layer on top of the beer, the body is very cloudy as should be and looks not light.

S: Some orange peel and the spiciness of the type is present but is not as intense as expected maybe due to the high level of alcohol.

T: the wheat is the first thing and the alcohol flavor is also firm, some coriander can be sense

M: the mouth-feel is not bad, even that always the alcohol can cause a little of rejection in the mouth, it start basically with the characteristic sweetness but turns a little to a bittersweetness with a nice ending.

3.31/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured probably 55 degrees Fahrenheit into a Tom Collins. No born date.

Pours a muddled orange with yellow rims. Comes with a one finger white head that dissipates into a thin ring. No lacing.

Smells of sweaty metal. A hint of wheat in there, not really all that appealing though.

Taste is pleasantly surprising after the nose. A soft and pillowy mouthfeel supports a citrus character unseen in typical Blue Moons, if still not exactly there in force. Teritary hints of coriander and Belgian yeast poke through. Enjoyable though, if rather trite.

Overall, I think this gets much closer to a real Belgian style, compared to what Coors typically calls a "Belgian." I want to hate this just because it absolutely isn't enough to be called a "Grand Cru," and isn't that flavorful in general. If standard Blue Moon Belgian was more like this, I would be a lot happier with them. Something about it for me personally though, is just really appealing. The softly pillowy mouthfeel, the higher sugar content. It feels mass produced, and probably is, but it's inoffensively populist and despite this, I really did enjoy it, as soon as I could curb my beer snobbery and start to see it as something really sort of unique. That being said, I definitely will not be spending $8 USD for another bomber of this.

3.28/5  rDev -3%

PIcked up a bottle of this and I suppose I was hoping for something special here. This poured out as a hazy orange color with a white head on top much like the regular Blue Moon does. The smell of the beer had some light citrus aromas and wheat in there. The taste of the beer is pretty typical of what blue moon is, it's got some light spice notes and a little bit of citrus fruit in there. The mouthfeel of this beer was drinkable but also pretty light. OVerall it's not somehting I'd put the name Grand Cru on. It just didn't wow me enough.

3.13/5  rDev -7.4%

I split this with my wife last,I was hoping this would be a more complex larger version og the standard,I was wrong.Pourred into atulip glass a hazed orange with a decent white fluffy head atop.Sweet aromas of artificial fruit,a little toasted cereal grain th there as well.Much sweeter than the the standard but the alcohol isnt in your face,again that artificial fruit flavor and toasted cereal in the finish.I didnt really care for the beer but its not awful,its just not worthy of the price I paid for it.

3.13/5  rDev -7.4%

Found some of these bombers on close-out for $1.99.

Poured in a Sam Adams glass. First pour was wheat to dark amber in color with some cloud. Second pour was more orange with considerable sediment from the orange and some yeast.

Minimal head, which rapidly disappeared. Some carbonation, but not enough to replenish the head. No lacing.

Smell was orange with a trace of hops and spices, all weak.

Taste was orange with wheat, spices and a touch of sweet malt.

Mouthfeel was medium, a little coarse in the second pour from the orange sediment. Some alcohol present.

Overall - a decent beer. Drinkable, but not overly strong on any aspect. A step up from Blue Moon. A great buy at the discounted price.

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

I drank this from a tulip...

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a small white head. There are very faint aromas of orange, wheat, lemon and alcohol. The taste is mostly alcohol along with orange, pineapple and lemon. This beer is light and warming with a rush of carbonation. I didn't enjoy this beer, the alcohol was way too dominant.

3.32/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Pours ok with a noticeable orange hue. Lots of bubble action with what looks like orange pulp floating all around but it's just the unfiltered nature of this beer.

S- smells like you'd think, citrus.

T- Average taste, has a little more bite than standard Blue Moon.

M- Thick feel to it, goes down easy.

O- I'll pick up another bottle as long as it's around $5 like I paid for it today.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this bottle for 2.49 for 750ml at a local liquor store so grabbed one, thinking the wife would like to split it with me, and she liked it.

Poured into a pint glass without an Orange.

Appearance-Cloudy light orangy/brown. Plenty of floaties. 2 finger off white head that dissipates almost immediately, no lacing.

Smell-Orange and Bananas. Some Pepperiness in there as well.

Taste-Sweet malts upfront with some orange. Finish is very hefeweizen like with some banana, clove, pepper. Slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel-Light to medium bodied, little watery. Medium amount of carbonation.

Overall-This beer reminded me that some BMCs can be pretty good. I don't love it, but for 2.49 a 750 I'll have another if theres any left.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Hazy dark golden orange body with large white head that dissipates quickly to a foam ring.

A- Smells very similar to a blue moon with an orange in it. Notes of corriander are a bit more than blue moon. Sweet orange smell, rather nice.

T- Very similar in flavor to a Blue Moon. Orange flavor is also much more present. The alcohol is definitely more noticeable, not hidden at all, but not a bad. Gives it a spicier finish.

M- Medium body moderate carbonation.

D- Eh, for the price I have seen this it isn't worth it. If you like Blue Moon and want to try something with more concentrated flavor and alcohol check it out.

3.15/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance - color of golden unpopped corn, tons of sediment make this brew very hazy. Very effervescent, produced three fingers of white head which subsided quickly and left no lace.

Smell - mildly phenolic with hints of cloves, orange, citrus, and pepper, coriander, butterscotch, and a hint of bananas

Taste - begins with sweet pale malt. In the middle is more sweetness from honey and orange zest. A touch of buttery diacetyl and then a tart and dry finish. Enjoyable and drinkable.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied and heavy for a Belgian White. Aggressively carbonated and a tad bit prickly on the tongue but transitions into a creamy finish.

Overall - a highly drinkable beer for the abv. The alcohol is hidden well. I cracked this beer open not expecting much but this is not a terrible beer. Definitely not incredible, authentic, or rememberable but not bad. Basically an amped up version of the original. Over priced for what it is.

3.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Ok, when I first saw this beer I was stoked on the fact that I like the original, smaller version. And in reading the label I was even more stoked because they really talk up the whole "Grand Cru" version of the White Ale.
Anyway, the beer is just a little bigger in abv and a little spicier. It cost me $8. I would much rather have gotten a 6pk of regular blue moon.
I'm not giving A.S.T.M.O. on this one because it's pretty easy...just buy a six of the regular and enjoy on a hot summer day.

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

I poured this one from the bottle into a 24oz mug, and paired it with a thick, juicy T-bone with some home made pico de gallo on the side. This worked out quite well.

Appearance: Pissy orange, and extremely cloudy, with small chunks of orange peel madly swirling around like the inside of a snow globe. No head to speak of here.

Smell: Just a little malt, a little orange and coriander and a whole lot of alcohol.

Taste: This beer tastes really good. Perfect balance of malt and hops and not overly spiced--the orange comes through very nicely.

Mouthfeel: Very heavy, medium body, and just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall: Great beer, at a really great price. Oh hell, I paid $1:87 for a 24OZ bottle, thus I have no complaints here.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

When i poured this beer into a pint glass it has a hazy orange body to it, with a 2 finger white head that fizzes quickly with not lacing left on the top. The smell is of orange and some spices. The taste is of wheat and orange and some coriander, to me it is like a kicked up version of the regular blue moon. This one has a decent mouth feel and overall not to bad.

3.62/5  rDev +7.1%

(750ml bottle). Pours hazy golden yellow with chunky white head. Aroma has yeast, wheat, orange, and spices. Taste is sweet malt with some bitterness at the back of the throat. Medium bodied with a thick texture. Finish is a little dry but smooth and it lingers. This is an easy drinking beer which is dangerous given the abv. Pretty nice beer that will generate lower ratings because its Coors.

2.98/5  rDev -11.8%

25.4 oz bottle dated best before oct 3 2011 poured into a tulip pint glass.

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thick white head.

Smell is sort of a milkshake of coriander, wheat, bubblegum and light orange.

Taste is a sweet blend of ingredients without much jumping out but the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, but overall this isn't a great beer. Better than most coors products, but not great.

2.17/5  rDev -35.8%

Pour: Extremely cloudy yellow-orange color with large pieces of sediement. Two and a half fingers of white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Faint. Wow. Mostly alcohol, but some hint of orange as well. Not much here.

Taste: Pretty bitter, but not as in hops. Like really bitter orange peels. Only a little bit of malt at the front, but gets a bit sweeter as it warms. Alcohol asserts its presence. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Very overly carbonated (almost as much carbonation as a clear soda). Medium bodied.

Drinkability: Not enjoying this at all. I'm having to work to get this down.

Final Notes: Stick to just plain old Blue Moon. I actually like that beer. This beer is overly alcoholic and overall unpleasant. I guess this goes to show that wheat beers weren't meant to be high in alcohol. Ugh.

3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

A beer from coors with foil on top? Ok... I've seen this for $8.99 out there in grocery stores. Just found one for $2.99 at my favorite beer store - that sounds a little more like it to sample this one.

A: Pours a deep orange yellow with a head that quickly fades. Cloudy - bubbles just cooking out of the top of this thing. Not sure if it's 7up or a beer.

S: Coriander and orange zest is strong in the nose. Malt and some faint sugar.

T: Not bad at all - taste of bitter orange, coriander, and some maybe even some pepper.

M: Over carbonated in my opinion. Makes it hard to drink

O: Good beer, it's decent. I can't say that I'm going to buy a case but I may pick up a few more bottles, they are 2 for $5 which is a steal for this beer. This one would be awesome just chugging out of the bottle during summer.

2.11/5  rDev -37.6%

The higher alcohol content of this beer really took away from the taste normally expected with blue moon. There was still hints of the orange a coriander, but the higher alcohol content of this one really hid it and took away from the experience. Stick to normal Blue Moon.

Blue Moon Grand Cru from Coors Brewing Company