Blue Moon Grand Cru - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-13-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Grand Cru Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

I saw this and new I had to split a bottle with my brother. This beer was quite sweet, almost peach tasting. It poured out cloudy mango colored with a white head and some sediment. Smell was almost fruity . The beer was really thick. I could definetly go for another. Pretty good beer (284 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

10.99 750ml.. saw this and *had* to try it.

A- Not much different than regular Blue Moon. Very nice, frothy, foamy, but quickly settling head. Pale, hazy, and very nice for a witbier.

S- Pretty damn pungent. Coriander is the main event. Wow. This is how I like my witbiers... very agressive for a wit. Nice.

T- Bubblegum, bananas, and cloves/coriander. Hmm, I like it. The nose was a bit more aggressive than the taste.. but I'm OK with that. Flavors work really well together. Pretty strong bubblegum/banana, so if that's not your thing, stay away.

M- Considering the ABV, I'm impressed. Crisp, good carbonation, nice bubbly mouthfeel, and a good finish.

D- Fairly high. The price point is over the top... Proof the big boys can make a decent... even good beer if they try. Not terribly complex, but def. miles beyond the regular Blue Moon offerings.

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Flame away, but I think it is pretty tasty. Too expensive, though... I can get a 750ml Lost Abbey for this price. (1,016 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Pricy $12 bottle of Blue Moon. I poured it into a Val Dieu chalice. It's a very cloudy straw color, with some chunks of floaty yeasty-bits, and a small, thin white head on top. The nose is highly perfumy, with a lot of coriander, bitter orange, light fruitiness. The taste is moderately sweet at first, with plenty of coriander though less than I thought from the nose. Yeasty phenols are plenty, giving a tad medicinal taste that is somewhat harsh. Alcohol is lightly apparent at the finish. The body could use some extra carbonation--a thicker, corked bottle might help support more.

Generally, a pretty good beer from Coors. I've had much worse craft-brewed strong wits. A good beer if you like lots of coriander. (717 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

A= pours a hazy dark yellow color. Not quite a fizzy yellow color but not quite an amber. The head has large bubbles and is about one finger high with some decent retention and some pretty nice lacing as well. Not bad looking at all.
S= Loads of orange and corriander. Smells unusually sweet and candy like. A little bit of bubble gum in it and some lemon. Pretty good smelling but a little sweet and candy.
T= Tastes just like it smells. You get a ton of corriander and orange. The lemon is a little held in back but is still present. I get a lot of biscuity deliciousness in the finish. It finishes really wheaty. Beyond the up front sweetness this is pretty good. Really spritzy. I don't see why people are hating this so much
M= A little too bubbly. Not too bad about what I would expect from Blue Moon actually.
D= Not a bad beer at all. The price however is just plain silly. That's the reason I will never buy this again. If i could show the big guys that I appreciate their efforts I would concider it but at 10 bucks a bottle WTF? I'm straight. (1,053 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

2009 vintage 750 mL bottle with two extra stickers in order to help fancy it up. $9.

Pours a cloudy golden, not quite white. Generous snow white head has decent retention, though it is not very sticky. Chunky sediment in suspended in the last third of the bottle, not good. Smells like orange, lemon, Fruity Pebbles breakfast cereal, slight amount of banana. Label recommends garnishing with an orange slice, which seems completely unnecessary. Tastes of citrus, mostly orange, which increases into bitter orange peel on the midpalate. Lemons detectable, though it comes with an artificial flavoring. No detectable wheat presence. Bitter spices and fusel alcohols on the finish. Light to medium bodied, with medium-high carbonation, lightly creamy.

This is not good. Most reminds me of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, but not as good. I would rather drink regular Blue Moon also, though I do not make a habit of drinking either. Ultimately, This is MillerCoors trying to use thier most indie brand name to cash in on the upswing in artisan craft beer mystique. "Artfully Crafted" is even a registered trademark now to describe Blue Moon. Wow. This isn't as good as Bud Light Golden Wheat. Borderline drainpour. (1,209 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Served into a Bruery tulip glass at about 35-40 degrees

Pours an unfiltered honey straw in the glass with a white froth that dissipates pretty quick and decent lacing. The nose presents soft & pretty aromas of banana, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, clove, coriander, fresh baked bread, very subtle white pepper, and a soft apple skin. All of the aromas cross over into flavors along with a crisp and dry texture, full, but lean mouthfeel, & a long finish. Very smooth for a 8.2% abv witbier! Overall a tremendous effort by the crew over at Coors! A fantastic beer that is very crisp & refreshing! Why they put the vintage date on here I'll never know (marketing maybe), but I'd definitely recommend grabbing one of these and drinking now! (739 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +19.7%

Aromas of flowers and lemonly citrus wheat on the nose. Taste is a little sweeter than I was expecting, wheat and earthy. Poured nicely into a pilsner glass with a finger thick white head, which fizzels out very quickly leaving no lacing what so ever. Over all I think this is a pretty good beer, great effort by the guys over at Coors. Very drinkable. cheers! (360 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

$11.99 / ea.

55°F

S: Sweet lemon (pardon the oxymoron) with a distinct wheat aroma. A bit like Fruit Loops if that is your thing.

A: Cloudy straw body topped by a big loose head that dissipates immediately leaving no lacing and sparse cover.

T: Much sweeter than I expected. Again the lemon taste dominates up front, but the back end is all wheat. No distinguishable hop character. Just a tad too syrupy sweet.

M: Medium or better body and medium carbonation. Very smooth, bordering on oily.

D: Good party beer. Fill your cup half as often, and wait in line for the bathroom half as often. A bit too sweet for me personally, but it goes down fast and hard like the sorority crowd that will jump all over it.

O: Good try by Blue Moon / Coors but still a bit too bubble gum sweet for my taste. It is awesome to see the effort thought. (872 characters)

750ml bottle

Pours a very hazy/cloudy pale yellow color with a medium sized and sticky white head. Instant banana yeast esters rise from the glass as soon as the brew is poured, nothing shocking here some coriander and orange peel with a slight wave of alcohol. Smells a bit more intense than its little bro. Soft, toasty and pronounced wheat character. On the lighter side of medium bodied, highly carbonated and very drinkable for 8.2%. Not bad at all, i actually quite enjoyed this one. (490 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazed up peach color with a pinky of sand colored head. Stays hazy with a trace of lacing & head retention

S: Dirty apple skins & some apple blossom

T: Peach, light citrus hop signature & honey up front, plus a bit of white pepper. As this warms, grainyness & apple peels come to the front, along with phenols, coriander, pineapple & juicy fruit gum. Finished fruitty, grainy with a touch of booze & grapefruit. If this would've pulled together a bit better, ii would've pulled a 4.0

MF: Medium bodied with low carbonation

Drinks easy enough, but for the money there are better IMP Wits or Wits, call it what you will... (634 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -5%

This is a 750ml bottle with a cap that has a small strip taped over it. Best by April 12 2010 is stamped on the bottle.

It pours a cloudy orangy yellow with a +2 finger head of foam and what looks to be some good lacing.

The smell has some spicy notes of coriander and some tones of orange that bring a slight hint of some sweet and some tartness.

First sip in....and I notice the lightish spiciness from the coriander and a graininess from the wheat, a light flavour of orange zest, a bit of pepper, and an earthy maltiness. Interesting. Some very slight warming from the alcohol at this point but that could change, as it often does, when things warm up some.

Now that it is closer to cellar temp, the alcohol does play a bigger part as I get more warming but it still isn't overpowering so overall, I'd say it is hidden pretty well.

Overall, flavourwise, I'm sipping on this amped up Witbier and though it tastes ok to me, I really don't see the point of creating a Grand Cru, the so called high point in a brewer's line of brews, a Witbier. Witbiers are supposed to be thirst quenching, sessionable brews so I'm kind of shaking my head.

It is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Not a bad thing in my book.

Drinkability? When I'm done with the bottle, I'll be done and I have no ambition to try this again. It's a decent brew but at over US$12 a bottle, I think I can spend my money more wisely elsewhere... (1,440 characters)

Blue Moon Grand Cru from Coors Brewing Company