Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Blue Moon Grand Cru - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Grand CruBlue Moon Grand Cru

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 11-13-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Grand Cru Alström Bros
3.22/5  rDev -5.3%

Since this normally retails at over $10 near me and it's coors I've never bought it. But one of the big supermarkets was blowing them out $4.99.

Aroma is spicy with coriander and then lots of candi sugar. That's about it though. Not much malt or any wheat, just the sugar.

Pours with a small head that lasts and leaves traces of lacing. Very cloudy (O.K. for style) and pretty dark gold. I know getting a 8+ percent beer and keeping the color of a wit is next to impossible, but it says "white" on the label. So as a belgian strong, probably a 3.5-4 on look. As a Wit...

Flavor is actually pretty good. Lots of barely malt and some honey malt and some wheat tartness. The spice that I'd expect in a wheat isn't there at all. The hops are strictly for bittering but they do linger as a bitter note in the aftertaste.

Full bodied with light carbonation. It's kind of got kind of a thick body.

To be fair...I like it. But if I had spent $10 on it or was looking for a nice wit, I'd be disappointed. (1,001 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +17.4%

I don't normally mention packaging, but Blue Moon has done a great job with this one. Quite nice.

I was quite surprised when I poured it to find large flakes of sedimented yeast, and possibly proteins, swirling about the glass. The majority of the large chunks broke up and settled to the bottom of the glass, but much of it remained suspended like stars in the sky.

Beyond that, the body was an orange color, and it was quite cloudy. I dipped my finger into it and had to bring it within a half inch of the glass to be able to see it. Prior to that I waited to see how well the head held up, and unfortunately it didn't do real well. It initially rose up with about a half inch or so of creamy foam, but that readily dropped to a quarter before it started dissolving in the center, leaving it with an eighth inch or so of creamy collar. It left full rings of thin lacing about the glass, however, which was nice; but they also eroded more quickly than they should have.

In the nose it was, not surprisingly, fairly yeasty. Some very nice orange character came through, and made up the bulk of its scent. Hmm, there's perhaps a bit of lemon (or is that lime?) as well. Coriander, like the dried seeds (not ground), rounds it out. And the fruitiness of the standard Blue Moon was there as well. In fact, it smelled quite like the regular Blue Moon with a tiny bit of not quite describable spicing.

In the flavor the comparison to the standard offering continues. And I guess that's not surprising as 90 or so percent of what we 'taste' is actually smell. NOTE: "Duh", it says right on the back label that it's a "bolder take on our classic". So there you have it. Except I will certainly say that this is far more balanced. When I enjoy a Blue Moon I always feel that it's a little over-done for the style, that it's heavy handed on malt, and this is not. It's much more rounded or 'flat' with the sweet malt lessened and the alcohol thinning what's there. That said, the alcohol never really appears. It's nicely masked, although at 8.2% with a little bit of spicing involved, that's not too hard to do.

The body is medium leaning towards a thin edge, and it's brightly crisp despite the seemingly natural carbonation. The comparison is now inevitable, so I'll say that I find it 'at least seemingly' thinner than the regular... maybe that's the alcohol cutting through. (?)

As to drinkability, I plowed through the large bottle in no time, although the alcohol did slow me with about 9 ounces to go. That's pretty good. But then the question remains, 'would I want another one'? I don't know. I guess I'd have to say no. I'd definitely want another one for a future tasting, but there's not really enough complexity to it to make me want to have any more in one sitting; and I guess to be honest, the lack of complexity was what led me to consume it so quickly in the first place.

It's a good beer. I liked it. I enjoyed it. I don't think it was worth the price, and I think there are better beers out there, but in all honesty I think I'll probably buy more to bring to holiday dinners and what not as it's not uber expensive and people will appreciate it and be charmed by it. "Now to the spicy brown ale". (3,218 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -45.3%

I love grand cru style beers and this was a very poor example, tasted like a slightly more hopy coorslight YuK! The cool I found was way to clear and the yeast flavor that has shined in other cru's is just not there. It felt more like I was drinking an IPA. (257 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

2009 Release; Sampled October 2010
A steady pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a three finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a rich gold color that shows a hazed, bright gold color when held up to the light. The aroma smells strongly of orange peel and you have to dig a bit to get anything else. There seems to be a touch of clean, lightly earthy / herbal coriander here in the middle, though this is pretty soft. After digging I get notes of dried hay-like grain, some cracker like malt character and not a whole lot else.

Pretty sweet tasting and this is accentuated (or exacerbated depending on your outlook) by the orange peel and the fact that this beer has an almost non-existent balancing bitterness. A touch of earthy coriander is noticeable in the middle, but it becomes more pronounced and actually dominates the long finish of this beer. The orange zest and sweetness couple with the soft malt character to produce a flavor that is something like citrus honey. The sweetness makes this beer seem a bit cloying and suggests at more body than this actually has; it is not as dry or light bodied as I prefer in my Belgian beers, but there are a lot of examples from Belgium that basically hit the same parameter.

Not bad, certainly not offensive, it is just a bit too simplistic with its focus on the orange peel, though the coriander is here as well, but that doesn't really seem to be helping anything. (1,430 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -25%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains wheat, citrus fruit, light malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with a bready wheat flavor that is quickly followed by a strong orange flavor and some spice. Then some estery flavors of alcohol and a little Belgian yeast come in. the malt character is hearty and there's a mild hops presence but very little balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, decent representation of style, it's definitely an amped up version of the regular Blue Moon, but I don't like either version and would not choose this beer again. (887 characters)

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Blue Moon Grand Cru

Appearance: Honey colored, medium head, and some good lacing.

Smell: Wheat, coriander, and citrus.

Taste: Wheat, coriander, slight yeast, and slight citrus.

Mouthfeel: Medium.

Overall:
It has a good first impression. It does tend to get slightly weaker as you drink. (291 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

Basically given away, it says 2009 on the bottle. Considering we're rounding out 2010, I have to wander how this was stored.

A: Pours a cloudy golden color with two finger head that dissipates quickly. Hardly any lacing.

S: Smells like alcohol, with a bit of orange.

T: I don't really understand the difference between this and Blue Moon...Very light and refreshing, with a bit of orange flavor. I've never really been able to compare Blue Moon to real Belgian beers, however.

MF: Very light, not much carbonation

D: Very high, this beer is light and tastes OK for the ABV. I mean, it isn't awful. To be honest, I see this as Blue Moon with a higher ABV...nothing special. (677 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A drinkable and decently enjoyable beer, but awful unbalanced for a witbier. Blue Moon is FAR and away the worst Witbier I've ever had in my life, so it's good to see this isn't complete swill. Only purchased because it was marked down to 4.50 for a 25oz.

This beer gains nothing from it's 8+ abv. It's not really detectable except barely on the finish, and does nothing to lend it big character. Aroma is more balanced than flavor, and is unassuming, although sweet witbier all over. Taste is nuts. I actually like it, but it's a trainwreck for a wit.

ORANGE. And HOPS. Way too much of both. The yeast, wheat and coriander character are slaughtered in their sleep by orange peel and a big dose of late addition hops. Totally inappropriate for the style, but as a hop head, it's not unwelcome in a beer. The whole hoppy-orange vibe actually reminded me greatly of the Bridgeport Hop Czar IIPA I had a chance to try.

Again, a badly balanced wit, but not a bad beer to quaff if you can get it at the pitance I did. Do NOT make a repeat purchase since you're giving your money to the swine at Coors-Miller, encouraging their march of mediocrity - just one, for educational purposes. (1,183 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fruity apricot and pear esters yet with a chemical additive tinge. A little rubber in the nose as well.

A clear golden amber pour with some rye like spiciness upfront, followed by some imitation honeydew melon, oranges, and all wrapped up in a boozy, hot and thin middle. Coriander notes are prevalent, and some herbal flavors manifest as well. Film like coating on the tongue with a cola-like level of carbonation. Ends bready. Better than I would have guessed, but the off-putting industrial flavors are still noticeable. (524 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. The label has a short description of the beer, a freshness date of "APR1210" printed on the bottle, the ABV% (8.2) and year it was made. (2009)

Appearance: The body has a pale hazy orange tan color with a small white head. The head fades out quickly leaving nothing behind and making no lacing at all. Inside the body there are a few small deposits of yeast floating around.

Smell: The aroma is quite fruity. It has a heavy orange like character with notes of orange blossom and mandarin orange peel. Under this are decent sweet bready and wheaty notes.

Taste/Palate: There is defiantly a lot fruity orange and yeast character here. I get this fruity pebbles cereal thing with notes of bready yeast, wheat malt and a warm alcohol presence. It is sweet overall with just a little leafy hop bitterness towards the finish. The palate has a smooth, slick and heavy feel with very soft carbonation.

Notes: I can't help thinking that this is just a pumped up version of there regular Blue Moon. (1,067 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

A: The pour is a somewhat hazy orange and straw color with a nice white head.

S: Lots of spices (primarily coriander) and overly sweet oranges, not all that different from Blue Moon. A bit of sweet wheat and grain, too.

T: The flavor is not quite as enjoyable as I had anticipated. Cloyingly sweet from what seems to be the oranges and wheat/grains. The spice notes are a bit more subtle and there is a bit of alcohol.

M: The body is medium, or thereabouts, and the carbonation is in the same ballpark.

D: This is not as good as Blue Moon, which is sort of against the purpose of this beer. Oh well, what can you expect from Coors? (635 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

color is golden tranlucent head stays around and looks good.

smell very heavy spice smell not in a bad way pleasing spices.

Taste the spices steal the show again its a heff that you cant even taste the yeast. The spices clean out all of that. The after taste is almost non existent leaving your pallet clean.

The drinkability is hurt by this beers price point. There are cheaper better beers in this category, so while I enjoyed this beer I will never be buying it again. (474 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -34.4%

A - Very cloudy and pale yellow color. Lots of junk floating around in the beer. Very high visible carbonation. Left a fairly large head in my Duvel glass, but the glass is prone to doing that with nearly every beer.

S - Strong orange rind smell mixed with slight alcohol. I was hoping for a bit more complex scent, but orange and alcohol sums this up pretty much.

T - Orange peel notes are the first taste to hit, but they fade away very quickly because the actual taste of orange is pretty underwhelming. Coriander and bitter hops follow the orange which gives way to a warming alcohol sensation which is a little offputting for me. It's a clean finish that leaves barely any aftertaste. The orange taste gets a little more bitter and sour the more you drink.

M - Based on the high amount of bubbles, I thought it would have a bit more of a carbonated taste than it did. It was medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Pretty smooth mouthfeel.

D - Based on the taste alone it's drinkability isn't as high as you'd think because I feel the taste alone is poor. Mix that in with the high alcohol and you don't have a very good drinkability. (1,144 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a huge, foamy white head. Head falls to a very small one but remains. Thinnest of lace.

Spicy aroma with a bit of citrus. Wee bit if alcohol.

Nice flavor of malts mixed with plenty of spice, citrus and mild booze as well.

Medium bodied and somewhat smooth mouthfeel.

Not too bad, I don't mind this one actually. Was expecting something less pleasant. Go ahead and give it a try. (419 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Cloudy, blond color. Poured a 2 finger white head that dissipated to an even skim. Lacing washed down the glass.

S: Wheat malts and orange peel; that's about it.

T: Consistent with smell on more prominent; wheat orange peel. Coriander comes through as it lingers a bit in the finish. Alcohol; especially as the beer warmed.

M: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth Wit until the warm and dry finish.

D: Its a really big Blue Moon but looses balance and sessionability. (487 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees, fridge chilled for approx 15 min. before pouring
VINTAGE: 2009

This pours a pale, golden, yellow color. It has a slight haze to it. Very slight hinting of golden orange notes. One-finger head of bone-white foam sits on top. Retention is actually quite nice. Lacing is decent, but kind of slippery.
It appears as would be expected, for the style, only on the 'light' side of the scale.

This has a good amount of belgian yeastiness coming through. Mild hints of corriander and orange peels. Hints of breads with sugars and spices. Nice hints of wheatiness, although it's far from 'in your face'.
A decent nose, though a touch understated for a grand cru representation of the style (belgian white).

I find Blue Moon to be a drinkable beer, indeed. It's not my favorite, but I have nothing against it. This is like a Blue Moon, sprinkled with belgian yeast and spice notes, which makes them a touch more prevelant than in it's counterpart. Then they threw a big dose of alcohol in with it and forgot to give any of these components any time to blend.
The yeast notes are hugely bready. The spice notes are understated in the flavor area, yet burn the back of your throat in the finish. The alcohol latches on to the candi sugar and ups the prominence of both of them. It's quite sweet and alcoholic tasting, like a euro lager. There is also a lot of 'fake' banana flavor in the finish, like laffy taffy or something.

This is medium bodied and has a light-to-medium carbonation level. The feel is very slick and slightly oily. Not really all that appealing, to be honest.

I'm glad that I've tried it, but I won't search for a second bottle. Even though I know that this is a product of the Coors brewery, I was hoping for a little bit more.
The good thing is that I only paid $2 and change for it. I wouldn't recommend paying more than that for it.

___
EDIT: This bottle had about a solid inch of sediment at the bottom of it. I made a 'new glass' pour with this last amount in it. The abv/candi sugar was cut considerably, this way. It became a much more consumable beer.
I still won't seek out another bottle intentionally, but if I come across one, for cheap, I'd be willing to taste it again. I'll swirl the whole bottle before I pour it though, next time.
(Added 1 point to 'drinkability' score and 1/2 point to 'taste'.) (2,400 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -58.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Chilled 750mL into a glass. Thanks to nickd717 for sharing this.

A: Cloudy milky yellow. Finger of off-white head. No lace. When viewed from the side, there appear to be chunks of... crap floating in it (it's not yeast -- we didn't get far enough into the bottle to attack the slug). Ew.

S: Lemon, orange peel, and yeast. It smells like largadeer on a hot day.

T: Lemon, orange peel, yeast, with a strongly spicy (clove?) finish and aftertaste. Somewhat grainy. Way imbalanced on the spice, and the rest of the flavors simply don't have enough depth to compensate.

M: Thin bodied. Watery flavor, with a distractingly spicy finish. The only thing that saves this from a 1 is that it's not overly boozy for its 8% (though the spice burn can be mistaken for such).

D: Substantially worse than base Blue Moon and several times more expensive. Good job. (858 characters)

750ml bottle from BevMo.

Pours a sickly looking hazy golden-orange with some chunks floating in the beer. Small, fading white head.

Aroma is not good. Orange peel, coriander, and wheat, as expected.

Flavor is also pretty...well...meh. Like a boozier Blue Moon really. Orange, coriander, and rough wheat. Not at all balanced.

Palate is too boozy and thin. Not too much to it.

This beer is nasty, not because it's BMC, but because it's nasty. Should've been a drain pour, but I choked my 5oz down. Fail. (508 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a nice hazy orange color with a small head that falls with no real lace.

Aroma is light wheat malts, light orange notes not much spice even though it should have coriander in it.

Taste is better then the nose, at least a little anyway. Wheat malts, orange finish does have some lingering coriander.

Mouthfeel is medium carbonation is a little to bubbly for my taste.

Drinkability is well Blue Moon on steroids, which is saying much. You can do much better for the price, think most are buying this once because there curious. (535 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

Call me a sucka, but this is one of my favorite styles. And this one does not disappoint. I constantly try to clone this in my homebrewing.

Pours a hazy straw color, with good head and sticky lacing. Good carbonation throughout the 750ml. Smells of orange and something other than corriander.

Medium body in the mouth with hints of spice, orange and very sweet, but not to overpowering. A bit of an alchohol aftertaste. Lingers long in the mouth. I was quite impressed for this "americanized" wit. (501 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Bottle pours a hazy golden honey body with a medium sized white head. Minimal lacing.

Aroma of wheat, with coriander hints and lots of orange peel.

Light medium body has a smooth carbonation.

Taste has some twangy wheat malt, hints of coriander and orange peel, and some alcohol. As it warms, it gets sweeter to the point of being cloying. Some vague peppery spices in the finish.

Not a bad witbier, overall, but there are plenty of better examples. (453 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -6.8%

Lightly hazy pastel orange with daffodil hued highlights. Multiple streams of lively bubbles can be seen rushing up to a soft and nearly featureless cap of beige colored foam that is beginning to leave no more than a few dots and spots of lace... that don't last.

The nose is underpowered. BMGC smells like a witbier, just not enough like one. Given the ABV, the absence of alcohol in the aroma deserves mention. Here's hoping the flavor has more punching power or this will be $9.99 foolishly spent. Did I really pay that much for a Coors product?

Blue Moon Grand Cru isn't the worst Imperial wit in the world, but it's light years from the best. It helps if you like the style (natch) and it also helps if you have a penchant for big beer. All 8.2% is present and accounted for.

The basic outlines of the style are present, though they could have been colored in with deeper and richer colors. A bigger blast of orange peel, a spicier bite of coriander, more pale malt and less obtrusive alcohol (yeah, that's quite a few changes) would have given this Limited Edition a chance to be better than merely decent.

Although it's a little less full than it should be, the sneakily smooth and creamy mouthfeel might be the star of this otherwise unimpressive show. Sparkly bubbles give the beer a bright, refreshing character. Still, drinking quickly isn't recommended.

In the end, Grand Cru isn't much better than the original Blue Moon. It's hard to imagine many of their regular customers finding much enjoyment here... and craft beer lovers have plenty of better options to choose from. I'll be surprised if this is a yearly release. (1,638 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

A - A pretty good golden yellow with a decent white head. Head dissipated to a small coating pretty quickly but retained well from there.

S - One of the better traits of this beer. The macro grain bill is well balance with a solid bit of wheat and some orange and citrus notes. Very malt centric.

T - About the best I can say is it started out much better than I expected from Coors. Unfortunately about half way through the bottle that changed for the worst. After that point the macro-ness came back in force and all i could taste was a very substantial coors like grain bill, that adjunct bitterness. Any sort of yeast esters and orange accents were not noticable.

M - Mouthfeel was good, carbonation was as expected, not too harsh or too mild.

D - Another miss. Started out quite refreshing and somewhat spoke of quality more than expected. However, half way through my initially appreciation had gone away and the grain bill was starting to make me regret going as far as I had.

Overall, started out better than expected from Coors, and finished disappointing as usual. (1,083 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Blue Moon was my gateway beer, so I had to get this when I saw it. I was thinking about aging it but couldn't resist.

A - Holding the bottle to the light you get an almost lava lamp effect with all the particles moving around. This beer looks alive. From the pour the body is a nice mix of orange, yellow, and brown. White yeast suspension throughout makes this opaque at parts, translucent at others. Visible carbonation circulates the yeast well. Head is a little disappointing, even with a fairly rough pour I only maxed out at around 2 fingers and that quickly faded and left little head.

S - Strong orange smell from the bottle to the glass. Slight beer and soapy smell, a little alcohol there as well. Would have liked more complexity from the smell. No hops in the nose either.

T - Wow. Tastes like orange juice with pulp and beer. Good spiciness to it as well. Great example of coriander. Spiciness and slight hop bitterness compliment each other very well. Sweet overall, but more well balanced than Blue Moon so it isn't overly cloying. Slight alcohol taste that is a little offputting. Not terribly complex, but satisfying. Reminds me more of Shock Top than Blue Moon, which is a bad thing.

MF - Very smooth feel to this beer. Slides all over the mouth and goes down very smooth. Would have expected something a little heavier for 8.2% and all the yeast floating around.

D - Drinkable if you like the flavor. The alcohol taste can kind of burn after a little while. (1,481 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -12.4%

2009 vintage; 25.4 oz capped bottle:

The beer appeared a nice hazy golden color with distinct noticeable particles floating throughout the beer. It had a decent white head with some decent retention and some lacing noted. I thought that this was the best part about the beer.

The aroma was ok, seemed to be a typical Belgian witbier, sweet smelling, most noticeable was orange and lemon fruits.

The taste, again, was ok. While I was drinking it, I was actually thinking that the regular Blue Moon tasted better. Followed the nose, but did get the yeasty/bready and banana flavors that one would expect from the style. The alcohol was more noticeable after the beer warmed a bit.

The beer felt heavy and not really in a good way I thought. The beer had decent drinkability, but I am not sure that I would purchase again, Overall,I guess that I expected more, from a Grand Cru. (880 characters)

Blue Moon Grand Cru from Coors Brewing Company