2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Batch 19Batch 19

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Ratings: 935 | Reviews: 207 | Show All Ratings:
nett

Excellent beer! Love the bold flavor but not too bold. I have to admit the packaging caught my attention. My first beer since I have been off crutches and it was a great new choice. I was surprised to find out it was Coors. I AM NOW A FAN OF COORS. Keep on making Batch 19.
Thanks

04-06-2013 02:47:33 | More by nett
Gorgeous_JR

Georgia

I'll cut to the chase here...

Coors took that bitter craft beer taste and made it drinkable. You can pound about 2 or 3 of these and not feel bloated or heavy like many crafts do. Coors found a way to commercialize the craft taste. So if you are in the mood for that more bitter beer, this is a great way to go. Don't let the beer snobs on here fewl you.

04-10-2013 23:18:52 | More by Gorgeous_JR
OregonDuckinTexas

This is a fabulous medium-bodied, full-flavored lager. That really doesn't do it justice. I like IPAs when it's cold and Corona's and Beck's when it's hot. In other words, I like the hop flavor - not a sweet, malty beer guy. So, Coors reaches back into the archives and delivers a lager, which like it or not is what most Americans want to drink, and adds a lot of hop for this style of beer and still manages to pull off a malt flavor without being sweet. In my opinion, this is like a hoppy Sam Adams Lager. Now, I said I like IPAs and I know what I'm talking about here. This is not an IPA. But for those who want a really nice lager beer with a complex, hop taste this is the ticket. My biggest concern is that this just isn't going to sell enough to keep it on the shelves.
One more comment. Everybody has their taste preferences. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest and have probably tried more microbrews than most people think exist. Within the caveat that everybody likes something, most microbrew stuff is bilge. I like good beer whether it's a global brand or one cooked up in the neighbor's garage. If you're in the camp that says the big brewers can't possibly make great beer, well, as the saying goes, "no man is as blind as one who refuses to see" or taste in this case. The big brewers weren't always big which is still irrelevant. But, prior to prohibition they all had great recipes. Every once in a while they bring'em back and batch 19 is one of them. AB has done it in the past as well. So, if you're open-minded, not quite ready for an IPA but like a complex, hoppy flavored lager that will go great on a hot or cold day, give this a shot.

01-15-2014 00:06:02 | More by OregonDuckinTexas
Cavanaghty

Maine

4.88/5  rDev +44.8%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color with a thin white head, good amount of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, sugars, rice, malts, and some hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Light to medium bodied and very smooth. Taste sweet with hints of malts, rice and hops. Little bit of alcohol maybe.

Overall: Exceptional adjunct lager! I certainly was not expecting it to be that good, but I enjoyed every drop of that pint. If you see it, try it!

11-09-2012 14:07:04 | More by Cavanaghty
SonictheBeerhog

4.78/5  rDev +41.8%

This, by far, is my favorite beer!
My pal bought it on a whim because he is crazy about history and invited me over for a few drinks. I took one swig and I was hooked. I literally teared up because of how wonderful it tasted. I was only over for a half hour and I had consumed three. Several weeks later I found out that the batch I had before was well past it's suggested sell date (7 months over) so I decided to get some more. This batch was just as good if not even better than the first.

What I am saying is if you are looking fir something new to try and you enjoy lagers:

Try this!

12-04-2013 01:56:39 | More by SonictheBeerhog
swissczechamerican

Nebraska

4.66/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Multidimensional, complex yet not overwhelming, full but not heavy, Batch 19 is a real option for a satisfying upgrade/premium staple beer. As one who tries local beers whenever I have the chance, I'm frequently disappointed when I get into an establishment that doesn't have a variety (e.g. a chain restaurant like Applebees, Chilis, etc.). I typically end up ordering a Sam Adams but am not happy with the heaviness and sweetness. Likewise, as a go-to option at home when I want a good beer without things getting complicated, I want something much more than a mainstream pale ale but not something extremely craft. Something complex but mainstream. Batch 19 seems to be the right beer for this niche, as it is probably the most consistent high-quality pour beer out of a mainstream production. MillerCoors got craft brewing on a large scale right on this one.

04-06-2013 05:16:39 | More by swissczechamerican
acevenom

Louisiana

4.56/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle displays what appears to be a best by date: May 27, 2013.

Poured into a pokal glass. Pours copper with a thick, slowly dissipating white head. Some lacing is left on the side of the glass. The beer has a bready and sweet smell from the malt. The hops bring some grassy and citrus notes in the nose. The flavor is of bread with those grassy hops that add some nice bitterness and balance to this beer. I also get some of those citrus hop flavors and not as much corn flavor one would find in regular Coors. This is to be expected because there is much less corn used in this recipe than in regular Coors. There is some caramel sweetness that opens up during consumption as well. The body is light to medium with moderate carbonation. The beer finishes crisp and the drinkability is high. This is an excellent beer. The big boys aren't sitting tight in this market and this throwback recipe is an example of what they are capable of brewing.

01-09-2013 22:27:15 | More by acevenom
Nagol

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer to date. I'm a history guy so when I saw a pre-prohibition style lager, I had to get it. Could not be happier with the decision. Good color, wasn't a fan of the smell because I didn't realize that the first batch I picked up was way past the suggested date. It still tasted great though. Then had to buy a new batch not past the date and it was even better. Can't believe it's made by Coor's. Thanks a lot, Prohibition, for making this delicious beer disappear for almost a century

10-30-2013 00:44:00 | More by Nagol
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.49/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Coors Batch 19 has a medium, foamy, off-white head, some thin lacing left on the glass, and a clear, bubbly, amber appearance. The aroma is of citrusy hops, sweet brown bread, and mildly-roasted malt. Taste is of sugar, sweet brown bread, roasted barley malt, and a pleasant, pronounced hop bitterness throughout the middle-to-end of the sip. The mouthfeel is light and watery, and Coors Batch 19 finishes dry, refreshing, and pleasant. Overall, this is a fantastic, delicious, and eminently drinkable beer. I rate it most excellent.

RJT

02-09-2013 17:32:17 | More by RonaldTheriot
Damian

4.44/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz./355ml bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA
Sep 1613
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a medium amber color. Much darker and more colorful than any American adjunct lager I have ever seen. The liquid was capped by a one-inch tall, tight, creamy, frothy, off-white crown that deposited thick, drippy lacing along the glass.

Crisp, dry, powdery, yeasty notes came out strong in the nose. There was a subtle, sweet bready malt presence as well. Pleasant and quite interesting for the style. Slightly grainy. As the beer warmed, a touch of floral hops became noticeable. The malty sweetness intensified as well.

The beer was amazingly flavorful for the style. Bready, biscuity malts came through strong on the front end. Tart and bright in the center with wheaty and lemony notes dominating. Dry, earthy hops were noticeable in the crisp and semi-bitter finish. With time, the flavor profile really intensified. Earthy, herbal hops and bready malts really made their presence known. Some floral hops appeared as well. Toward the beer's end, I swear I was also picking up some citrusy (orange peel?) hop notes. This really began tasting a lot more like an American amber ale than a typical adjunct lager.

The mouthfeel was super creamy, frothy and smooth. A fine, medium effervescence made the liquid feel slick on the palate.

Malts? Hops? Flavor? I am used to macro lagers being wimpy, fizzy beers, but this was a notable exception. Coors really came through big time with this "pre-prohibition style lager." I would love to see it offered in tall ball cans, perhaps taking a space alongside PBR, Narragansett and Schlitz at my local digs.

08-17-2013 14:31:51 | More by Damian
bullseyestrat

4.43/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I remember the first time I bought Batch 19 at my local liquor store. I wasn't too sure what to expect but I'm glad I bought some. Coors outdid themselves when figuring out the brew of Batch 19. Not to mention the bottles are very neat. Near the cap there looks to be a fashioned groove that was most likely an assembly line feature used on beer bottles from then time.
Appearance-wise its a bit darker for a lager but definitely not a dark lager. More of a dark blackish brown color that pours rather smooth.
Smell-wise there's more of a malty bitter smell to it. Not a whole lot going on but it gives a sneak preview to what kind of beer it is.
Taste-wise its very bold, malty, smooth, and just rather tasty. Its nothing like Coors but at the same time I really like it. In my opinion I'd prefer it over a Bud Black Crown which is the prime competitor.
In your mouth its very smooth and solid. Won't kick you in the butt but lets you know its there.
Overall I really like Coors Batch 19. If beer in 1919 was really as tasty as that, I can see why prohibition was in force.

09-06-2013 02:48:42 | More by bullseyestrat
mudbug

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +30%

From the bottle into a pilsner glass results in a very appealing slightly hazed golden body with a nice one inch fluffy head that slowly recedes into a thin cap and lacing on the sides a cascade of champaign like bubbles rises continuously to the top keeping things lively.
Aroma is bready cracker, grain with just a touch of floral hops. very clean smelling, nice
Taste is just right for the style, grain, cracker, a slight corn sweetness followed by a subtle hop bitterness, this brew begs to be chugged, it is refreshing in the extreme. Medium bodied for the style, but still a great thirst quencher.
Overall I'm impressed, Coors CAN produce a tasty lager, they should do this more often.
Recommended, I will certainly buy again.

11-27-2012 21:26:53 | More by mudbug
slow3v

4.35/5  rDev +29.1%

A-Deep, golden with a nice head poured into a standard pint glass.

S-Light, malty and smooth smelling

T-Great balanced flavor, with a lot of different notes standing out. Maltiness, a hint of hop or a "sharp edge," but overall extremely smooth and flavorful.

M-Good smooth mouthfeel, not overly carbonated but not heavy either.

O-Great overall. I picked it up from a local grocery sore first, and have since been asking / requesting for it at a few local bars. No tap handles yet to be seen but a few places offer it in bottles.

01-03-2013 22:14:58 | More by slow3v
Mojave_Ted

4.31/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've been looking for a good drinkable/poundable lager for a long time (and NO, Guinness 'Black' is not the answer). Ales are too heavy in %alc, flavor and calories/carbs. This lays between a light pilsner and a run of the mill ale.

I got this by accident. If I'd seen it was a Coors product I'da left it on the shelf (I do drink Coors Light). Glad I didn't.

I poured it into an original old school Coors pilsner glass. The color is perfect, just golden amber brown and translucent.

the bubbles are fine and consistent. But not as fine as Guinness 'Draught'. It is not over carbonated either. Has perfect carbonation imo. You'd have to really screw up to get an overflowing head in a glass.

The flavor is rich with hops being the most notable flavor and then a floral/aromatic/sweet-ish flavor.

The after taste is subtle and good. This beer sips great 'til the last drop. Not sour or bitter. I did mention 'sweet', but NOT like a MGD.

I drink it from the bottle or poured into a glass. At 5.5% it's stouter than light pilsners, but much much tastier. This is a good dinner beer as it doesn't bloat.

I like this more than Guinness "Black". I will never buy Guinness "Black" again, but if you have a 'fridge or cooler full of it, I will pound it down.

However, it's a bit pricey considering its origin.

04-10-2013 02:44:51 | More by Mojave_Ted
IndustrialCanine

4.29/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer blew me away for a SAB/Miller product.
I worked in the industry for several years and frankly I'm tired of crap craft ales. Here is a lager that has bite, mouthfeel, and hop aromas.

I've rotated to lagers because I can't take the yeast that's in the solution of most ales at this point. After years of being a massive hop head I developed an allergy to hops. This beer brings me back in a format that doesn't destroy me.

I'll be buying another sixer in the future.

11-11-2013 06:03:17 | More by IndustrialCanine
dbraz45

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

The appearance is a deep bronze, mildly carbonated, with a thick white head. The taste is hop forward, but not overly hoppy, balanced out with malt character. Batch 19 is a well rounded brew. This is a very solid offering from Coors. I can't help but think that many reviewers are biased because this is produced by a big brewer. I will definitely keep this one in my rotation, and I advise any beer lover to at least give this one a shot.

12-10-2012 00:15:02 | More by dbraz45
mjurney

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Appearance:
Amber-gold color, clear. Lots of small bubbles rising up to the top. Thick frothy head. Leaves a very nice lacing behind.

Aroma:
Very strong aroma... Citrus-spicy hops, sweet malts, a little piney.

Taste:
Sweet malts, bready, toasted, a little caramel, just a dash of corn. Hop bitterness is medium, sharp, but mainly citrus-piney. Finish is very dry. Body is light-medium, carbonation is very active, crisp.

12-15-2012 07:09:35 | More by mjurney
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled tonight on 3/19/14 though I had this once before back in 2012. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a medium amber with not much a 2-finger white head that settles down to a thin layer on top. Lots of lacing was seen with each sip. The aroma is of different sweet hops and malts. Taste of like a corn sweetness followed up by gentle hops. Overall very enjoyable. If this is what some beer tasted like before Prohibition in 1919, then fire up the ol' DeLorean and lets take a trip 'Back to the Future" to taste some more early-type brews. Great job Coors!

03-20-2014 02:19:30 | More by BeerWithMike
AnalogReigns

4.24/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Well I'll be....I'd heard rumors that if you went to the tap room at the Coors plant in Golden, CO, they actually had some really good small batch beers...available only there. I've always considered regular Coors beer watery and nearly taste-free--I'll take a PBR over all the macro-beers. This beer though is quite lovely, with a sweet malty nose and noticeable hops in the taste--like a good basic German or maybe more Czech, lager. Sweet, slightly corn, but extremely well balanced against the hops. I'm guessing this is about 25 IBUs or so, which is right in the running for Czech or German lagers. Clean palat-cleansing finish--a very satisfying session beer. If only NORMAL Coors were so good!

Proves too that pre-prohibition American lagers really were/are respectable, decent beers, which shouldn't be despised by the IPA-or-nothing crowds....

This really is a great beer, all the more for the fact that a macro-brewery made it...proving those guys really are capable of making delicious beers--if American consumers actually demanded them...

05-22-2013 22:49:42 | More by AnalogReigns
pkalix

4.21/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

nice orangish-peach color, decent-looking, smallish amount of head.
smells of some sweeter-like malts with some hop balance.
tastes sweet up front, with some hop bitterness at the finish. a decent taste.
medium to heavy feel on the tongue.
overall.... idunno.... where do THE BROS get a 90? but i am pleasantly surprised to find this is a coors product. they've apparently figured out what it takes whereas buttwiper continues to put out 'gourmet swill'... the bottle looks great, the label is intriguing, the beer is very decent. the lacing is a bit thin but this is easily a brew one can drink a couple of in a row.

02-23-2013 04:51:33 | More by pkalix
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

I had this at River Fest in Casper yesterday.

A medium gold pour, good head of foam, some lacing.

The smell was of caramel malt, light grain, light hops which were on the spicy side.

The taste was very good. Some sweetness, a spicy hop kick, very light grain; I think the show case of Batch 19 is how tasty the hops translated in the taste. I got 3 samples and I yearned for more.

This brew really impressed me and I wish I had it available locally whenever I wanted it.

08-26-2012 17:06:50 | More by Bitterbill
palma

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

On tap at Chops Steakhouse Sacramento

I like the marketing. Cool tap handle. Like the throwback theme

Strong jump on the palate from the start. American strong ale feelings
Malty. Apricot. Almost cloying. Tasty. Strong herbal flavors in the middle. Oily.

Becomes crisp at the end. Lingering grassy hops.

This is an excellent adjunct lager. After finding out this was Coors I was very surprised. nice job.

09-19-2012 00:03:30 | More by palma
basi76

4.19/5  rDev +24.3%

Muy Chingona Bironga, nunca pensé que la Coors, ó ahora fusionada con la Miller, pudiera hacer algo gueno,, bueno... siendo de un pueblo chido esta con madre que lléguen buenas cervezas a los anaqueles, en fin, me pareció algo entre una Dortmunder y una Märzen, buen cuerpo, muy buen sabor balanceado entre las maltas caramelos y el lúpulo, que me imagino es el mismo lúpulo que usan en la coors normal. 5.5 grados de alcohol, suficiente para mi. cheers!

Google Translate:
Good Bironga are tough, I never thought that Coors, or Miller now merged with, could do something gueno, well ... being a mother is with cool people arriving good beers to the shelves, finally, I found something between a Dortmunder and a Märzen, good body, very good flavor balanced between malt and hops candies, which I guess is the same hops used in the coors normal. 5.5 degrees of alcohol, enough for me. cheers!

02-14-2013 02:59:25 | More by basi76
AaronHomoya

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev +24%

Recently had on tap served in a tall 22 oz glass. This outing was the first I had heard of this beer, and though it is made by Coors, I was curious to try their take on a pre-prohibition lager (especially after seeing the positives reviews on here).

The appearance is noticeably darker and richer than the standard American light lager. There's more of a golden, light caramel character to the look. The smell is nice, with noble hops and clean malt coming through. Very full and beer-y, for lack of a better term. The taste is similarly nice. Clean lager yeast and a bit of corn, but still good malt and an earthy, noble hop finish. Mouthfeel was nicely fuller than a light lager.

Overall I quite enjoyed this beer and would gladly drink it often, especially in the summer, I think.

08-25-2012 16:34:45 | More by AaronHomoya
chicost84

4.18/5  rDev +24%

I'm the original anti beer snob, love craft, but grew up on Coors and still unapologetically stock it at home. So I was really excited to try this offering … I was not disappointed. Nice clear, golden brown color with an ample white head, the lacing still in my empty pint. I dig hops, and while subtle, the hoppy notes are clearly present in Batch 19. Good entry beer for anyone just getting into crafts and learning what hops bring to the table.
Hey Coors, put your name on this one proudly. Solid effort!

11-21-2012 00:28:49 | More by chicost84