Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Batch 19Batch 19

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Reviews: 233 | Hads: 1,246
3.52/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured a golden red yellow with a white head that didn't leave much lacing. A nice color for what I would consider a light beer.

Smells pretty good! Might be something like a pbr with a touch more grain bill and some hops in there. This one is definitely different from the usual Coors offering!

Taste was nice, its as if they took a regular american adjunct lager and actually used a good amount grains and hops. In other words, this one doesn't taste like water... I really want to introduce my bud light only brother to this one. Perhaps it could be an easier gateway beer into more craft.

mouthfeel to me was a little too carbonated. If it were only creamier feeling I would have given it a better score.

Overall, I am enjoying this one. If I do see this on tap I might grab it at some point. It reminds me of times gone by.

3.52/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer which I sampled at the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee WI. I haven't been impressed with American style lagers thinking they were pretty week and bland. Batch 19 had a nice taste and would have gladly had a second cup if I wasn't already at my limit of three samples. :)

3.5/5  rDev +2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. MAR0413 on the bottle.

A: Pours a clear golden with a two finger dense white head. Ample carbonation visible in the body. Pretty good lacing.

S: I get light malts like wheat and a hint of hops in the background.

T: A balanced light taste of malts and hops that ends with a slight fruit taste. Some alcohol on the backend. Better cold.

M: Light body, pretty good carbonation. Very easy drinking.

Overall its a good attempt by Coors and hopefully it will lead more people into craft beer.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

I enjoyed this beer. It is hoppy enough, and it has some citrus undertones. I was very surprised to find out it was brewed by Coors. I will be being this one again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap at Village Pourhouse in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear honey yellow in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation and dark golden yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall foamy white head that slowly reduces to a very thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aroma of malts with grain and corn adjuncts - richer in aroma than Coors or Coors Light and there is almost a slight hint of honey sweetness.

T: Upfront there are some moderate flavors of malts with both corn and grain adjuncts (thought the corn is slightly stronger) and some light hints of toast. Light flavors of grassy and herbal hops that impart a light to moderate amount of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation. Crisp.

O: When I found this on tap at a place that did not have a lot of other interesting brews currently available, I said what the heck and decided to try it - expectations were pretty low but this is much better than the traditional BMC offerings and I could see myself getting it again when at a place that has a more limited craft tap list.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Pours a clear golden color with a short lived white head. Nose is fairly typical macro lager aroma of sweet grain/cereal, light esters, and minimal hops. A slight corn note is present. The flavor is sweet grain, minimal biscuit qualities, and no hops to speak of. A touch watery, some yeast and mild fruit esters. That's pretty much it. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing all that great about it.

3.5/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

looks and smells like "beer beer". taste is a more full-bodied banquet beer with more malt sweetness, less corn, and a touch of bitter hops. it's still not a great brew but is leagues ahead of regular coors, and I'm a fan of that beer. it was nice and cheap, a plus, and hid the 5.5 completely. a winner in my book

Best by 11/12/12.

Pours a clear golden-orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, grass, and hay. Taste is fairly sweet and is of malt, grain, caramel, and some slight grass and hay flavors on the finish. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that I would not ever think was something Coors produced in a blind tasting.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

As a craft brew drinker I had my doubts about this beer. However, I will admit this was actually a very drinkable beer. Nice deep golden color with an herbal biscuit aroma. The right balance of hops and malt. Notes of caramel come through in the finish. This one was actually a good all around beer for me. If this is the beer they had during prohibition then the guys who broke the law to carry it have my salute of approval.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

This beer reminds me that a domestic big name can still pull out a decent craft like beer.
The smell is somewhat weak, but the taste is very full and warm to the tongue. The carbonation on this one is on the high side, but compliments the after taste very well, making you want more. Not anything special just a great regular ol beer. Would prefer on a hot summer day sitting around the grill. Good from the bottle and glass.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

On tap at Miller Park, since Miller and Coors are the same thing now. Figure since I got no plans to head to CO, and since this has got a real limited distribution, I better give it a go.

Described as a pre-prohibition lager, which I used to think meant "all malt" but now realize means "somewhat hoppy adjunct." And that's exactly what it was: thin pour, full body, dry and lightly bitter American-style lager. Strong cereal grains, almost like eating a bowl of barley, and then some rounded, bitter, east coast hops.

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Solid golden color with some off-white froth on top. Sweet, clean malt and grassy, spicy hop aromas. More noble-like hops in he mouth with some added floral character, sweet-ish cereal grain, hay, and fruity yeast. Pretty crisp and lightly bitter. Not too shabby all around, for what it is.

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: A medium amber beer with excellent clarity, some enthusiastic bubbles and a creamy, off-white head.

S: A moderately-light earthy and somewhat herbal hops with a moderate malt character. There is a light caramel note in the malt and the occasional hint of the metallic hops note. Other than that a clean, simple nose.

T: The flavor is dominated by a balance of moderate malt sweetness, medium-light hops bitterness and a moderate earthy and fruity hops flavor. The malt brings a light caramel character with overall malt being slightly stronger than the hops giving a balance that is a somewhat towards the malt. The finish is crisp with a brief hops bitterness aftertaste and a light fruit character.

M: A creamy medium bodied lager with a medium level of carbonation.

O: An all malt lager with a balance of enjoyable hop character. A good example of a style I really get to enjoy outside of home brewing circles.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Raul was on the beat and saw this at the spot and decided, why not?

Poured it in the nonic, but it wasn't smellin' bubonic. Nah, not that sticky icky stuff. Taste? Yeah, it was aite. This is definitely an Adjunct, but Raul respect it like Little Caesar hot n ready special: you know you're not going to get the best, but hot dawg it ain't bad! (for what it is). And what it is, is a palatable Adjunct. (Looks like dehydrated urine) but it's a palatable Adjunct.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle tried 31 Oct 2011. Courtesy of (who else?) R&S. Thank you both. Served in the 0.4 L Radeberger mug.

Large bubbly off white head. Moderate carbonation. Clear deep gold in color. Aroma is grainy, citrus, mineral. Flavor starts quite similar to the aroma. Light sweet graininess through the middle. Touch of mineral. Medium body, light ethanol. Sweet lingering finish and aftertaste.

Quite easy to drink. Better than I thought it would be.

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This is my first review, so let's go.

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Lager

...came for me in a 12 0z bottle, which I took out of a fridge and let sit for around 15 minutes, so I can't give you a proximate temperature, but it was cool to the touch, and if I had to guess, it was 40 degrees or something like that. Within that ballpark.

Poured slowly in to a tall pilsner glass, almost all poured in, about an inch and a half of healthy white head. Thick, soft, foamy, I guess that's most heads. But not like a stout head, so, typical, but sweet-looking, soft; A great thick head.

Plentiful bubbles, top 1/3 bubbles didn't stick to glass, they were the first to go, bottom 2/3 kept their hold on the side of the glass. Very clear, excitable bubbles, zigged and zagged as they rose, some light sediment trailed form the top to the bottom of the glass, a golden amber in color, something of a golden orange even. The head seemed to dissipate medium-quick.

The smell was citrusy, grassy, 'flat', 'creamy', and pleasing over-all. Not bad, not great, but good.

Tasting was pleasant, a nice thick mouthful was golden wheat-y, biscuity, light and citrusy leaning towards lemon, and there was some wooden/cork taste, nice, mildly acidic, going with the citrus there, and even a hint of what resembled cherry. The linger afterwards was a sharp 'high' acidic wood. This continued throughout its entirety as far as I could tell.

The mouthfeel was soft, middle-bodied, smooth and pillowy even, taking the lightness of your lager and appealing a little more to it's weight, it still felt fairly light and it's presence was half-felt, not like an IPA or something which will want to try to cinder block your palate and tongue. Again, middle to light, thinking of it now and looking at my notes.

Overall, over all, I liked it enough. I give this a B+.

*Special notes - the bottle has a great 'barrel notches' on the neck resembling the steel belts placed around barrels we are to associate with the 'olden days' of American brewing, true to the notion of 'prohibition'. As any good citizen knows, prohibition of any substance is immoral and an ill-conceived feint towards any sort of industry seeking to make money off of selfish and fearful standards by those who just don't trust the common person to have a good sense of what is pleasure and what is too much. I'm glad alcohol prohibition (of most kinds) is gone, and I look forward to when we have the collective good sense and strength of collective character to repeal prohibition of all substances in favor of letting our own selves make our own choices like adults and good people do in their own natural course of being.

That's all.
Be well, all.

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%

deep golden with a thick white foamy head that stayed around for awhile. smell was sweet with a little teabag type hop in the background. taste was overly sweet for me, but it went GREAT with the hot, fresh cheese pizza that i had with it. it complemented the crust and cheese in a fine way. i also had it with a bunch of tacos a few nights later...again, solid with food. it has a medium heavy mouthfeel and goes down very smoothly. again, the only complaint i have is that it is a bit overly sweet for me to enjoy without food. good offering from coors, though...by far and away the most taste in a bmc beer i have had.

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Purchased from the local supermarket $7.07 for a sixer. Poured from bottle to pint glass. BBD: JUN 10 13.

Appearance: Honey-like golden amber, you can see right through this stuff. 1.5 finger head that dwindles down to a very thin surface layer of bubbles. light lacing.

Smell: Nothing offensive, I get sweet malt notes on the nose, Don't get the metallic or skunky aromas that others have noted. There really just isn't much here.

Taste: Slight hop bite upfront. Not bitter hops like in some american pale ales or IPAs but a light hop flavor that seamlessly twists into a moderately sweet wood-like finish on the back of your tongue. Not cloying like i feared it would be. finishes crisp.

Mouthfeel: This is what Coors did really well with this beer. Not too light, not too heavy, not overly carbonated nor under carbonated. It rolls right down your throat begging you to down a little more. (awesome for the style)

overall: I went into this beer with little in the way of expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Not saying this could be my go to beer because the style isn't really my first choice, but for what this is, It's pretty damn good. Not a bad value for the price (you could easily do much worse) I'll end this review saying: If you haven't tried batch 19 its worth a go, It could surprise you like it has me. Will I have it again? I will at least have 5 more as they are in my fridge. It's sure as shit not drain pour material.

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a twisty into a schooner. A moderate pour (accelerated at the end) produces about 1/2 inch of snow-white foam that recedes almost immediately but sticks around to produce momentary swells of surf around the edges of the glass. The beer is lightly effervescent and a pale reddish-straw color- noticeably darker with less yellow than typical macrobrew.

My poor nose detects a noticeable beer aroma, which can't be said for certain nameless brands run amok...You can definitely taste some hops here- the slightly earthy bitter you might expect along with some mildly floral qualities suggestive of (??) and maybe even a tinge of grapefruit and canned oj (yummy). The mouthfeel combines with a pleasantly malty-citrusy aftertaste.

I'm wanting to compare this to other "retro-brews", or attempts thereof, and am definitely interested in how this recipe was conceived or discovered. It definitely has some hop flavor, beyond a mere kiss, and reminds me a bit of some "retro" styles out there, such as Olympia, Grain Belt, Schlitz, and regular ol' Coors.

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured chilled in wine glass (all that was avail.)

A: cloudy light copper; no head; decent carbs; ok lacing
S: very light aroma, mostly malt
T: mildly hoppy, slightly sweet; complex, very strong flavor profile, but without an edge
M: my mouth didn't buzz as much as I was hoping

Overall, not bad, pretty good, and I was surprised to find out, only after, that Coors makes it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Since I was born 40 years after prohibition started I'll take Coors word for this being a "pre-pro" recipe. If it is true to the time the pre-prohibition years weren't all that bad and prohibition sucked in more ways than just banning alcohol manufacture and sale as it led to even lighter lagers post pro.

A - Poured out a very deep golden color with a 1 finger head that receded into some nice lacing.

S - Malt and cereal with some hop note and subtle fruitiness.

T - Great balance between the malt and hops with a slightly fruity finish.

M - Excellent carbonation level resulted in a rich mouth feel.

O - This is a decent enough beer that I will certainly buy again.

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a brilliant golden brown with a frothy one inch ivory head that dissipates very slowly, leaving thick lacing.

Corn and grain dominate the aroma, with a funky tangy note and subtle earthy hops rounding things out.

Flavor is grainy, with nutty, lightly toasted malt forming the backbone. The tang is present, but more subdued than in the aroma. Becomes cardboard-like as it warms.

Body is moderate, with moderate carbonation and a bit of grainy astringency.

It actually has malt flavor. The graininess and tang are somewhat offputting.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark Golden/Brown. Doesn't look like any adjunct I've seen in a long time.
Smell: Smells more like a Sam Adams Boston Lager than an adjunct. I'm expecting a bitter taste based on smell and look.
Taste: OK. I was wrong. Not really that bitter at all, but it is there a very little in the aftertaste.
Feel: A little more body than a regular adjunct but not heavy or gritty.
Overall: I've been drinking beer for about 35 years and I think I know why people like this beer. It tastes like American beer did 35 years ago, before the macro brewers watered down what was already an adjunct beer. It tastes like an old school American Beer before rice and corn totally replaced malt and hops. I serious doubt this tastes like pre-prohibition beer, more like the late 70's, early 80's beer I grew up on.

3.43/5  rDev 0%

Served in a Batch 19 tulip pint glass at Wool Street.

Never thought I'd actually see this brew out by me, but then Serendipity came along and randomly dropped it in my lap at a local watering hole. It pours a clear russet-ish straw (this may have just been the weird light in the bar...) topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises light wheat, light corn (straight from the cob, baby), and mineral water. The taste brings things up a bit, with notes of wheat, caramelized pilsner malts (damn homebrewing...), flowers, light grass, and a twinge of grapefruit peel in the back. The body is a hefty-leaning light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. Overall, I think this is the best Coors product I've had in a long time. I really hope it stays on in the area, so that I can have a nice alternative to the usual BMC nonsense where craft is not abundant. Not all that bad, I gotta tell ya.

3.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This comes in a light amber color.

The taste is quite amazing for an American Adjunct. It has some hop and fresh flavors that gives it a lot more pop than other beers in the style. It even tastes more like non-adjunct lager.

It's by far the best adjunct lager I've had. If you see this at the bar and the other options are bad, this is definitely worth trying out. It really shows that the style does not have to atrocious.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company