Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Reviews: 231 | Hads: 1,237
4.17/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Light brown color, semi clear light brown head.
Aroma: Very light malt and hops smell.
Taste: Light roasted malt flavor, nice hopped finish; medium bodied.
Overall: This is well brewed beer. The lightly roasted malt flavor is accented with well balanced hopped finished. A good, fairly light bodied beer, with decent flavor. Great on hot day. Hats off to Coors for this one. (388 characters)

On tap at Chops Steakhouse Sacramento

I like the marketing. Cool tap handle. Like the throwback theme

Strong jump on the palate from the start. American strong ale feelings
Malty. Apricot. Almost cloying. Tasty. Strong herbal flavors in the middle. Oily.

Becomes crisp at the end. Lingering grassy hops.

This is an excellent adjunct lager. After finding out this was Coors I was very surprised. nice job. (411 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +19.5%

I had this at River Fest in Casper yesterday.

A medium gold pour, good head of foam, some lacing.

The smell was of caramel malt, light grain, light hops which were on the spicy side.

The taste was very good. Some sweetness, a spicy hop kick, very light grain; I think the show case of Batch 19 is how tasty the hops translated in the taste. I got 3 samples and I yearned for more.

This brew really impressed me and I wish I had it available locally whenever I wanted it. (474 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

Recently had on tap served in a tall 22 oz glass. This outing was the first I had heard of this beer, and though it is made by Coors, I was curious to try their take on a pre-prohibition lager (especially after seeing the positives reviews on here).

The appearance is noticeably darker and richer than the standard American light lager. There's more of a golden, light caramel character to the look. The smell is nice, with noble hops and clean malt coming through. Very full and beer-y, for lack of a better term. The taste is similarly nice. Clean lager yeast and a bit of corn, but still good malt and an earthy, noble hop finish. Mouthfeel was nicely fuller than a light lager.

Overall I quite enjoyed this beer and would gladly drink it often, especially in the summer, I think. (786 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +18.1%

A - Dark for the style. Slightly hazy. Nice little foamy white head with a smattering of dish soap lace.

S - Mildly flowery on top of some creamed corn notes. There is a strange and slightly "off" note of medicinal herbs, but I like it.

T - Caramel, creamed corn, butternut squash, and some herbal tea hop notes. Chamomile.

M - Wow. This is a solidly built beer.... especially for the style. Big carbonation leads to a hint of cream before flipping a switch over to desiccating dryness. Lingering grassy and limey hops.

I cracked this thinking it would be a gimmick, as in "let's bottle some slightly thicker 'Silver Bullet' and market it as something historical." Well, turns out that this is actually a really good brew! If this is what macro lagers were like back in 1919, fire up the DeLorean and take me back! (818 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +17.8%

This one was crystal clear and had a brownish/golden hue to it, mild carbonation and it was topped off with an off white head that quickly thinned out into a small congregation of bubbles. It did have some mild lacing. Overall, this beer looked nice and inviting. The aroma was a bit thin, some roasted wheat mixed in with roasted hops came through, but I couldn’t pick up much else. The taste was really good, smooth throughout and a mild hops flavor dominated the beer, some mild citrus flavors like orange zest are present. Bitter all around but the bitterness isn’t overwhelming. The aftertaste has a mild hoppy and alcohol taste but it’s easy to swallow. By the way, this beer has a light-to-medium mouth feel. Overall not bad, I personally wouldn’t buy this one on a regular basis, but I do have to say you’ve got to try this one. (846 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance - Deep gold with maybe a little red. Clear. About a half inch of foamy white head. Fairly persistent.

Smell - Pale malt. Pretty standard for an adjunct lager, maybe a little stronger than most.

Taste - This actually has a very appealing flavor. Mainly sweet, light malt, but with a tasty hit of caramel. Citrusy hops noticeable in the finish, but not prominent per style.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp.

Overall - This beer stands out among its american lager peers. Light and refreshing, but flavorful and appealing. How can it come from Coors? (557 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +17.8%

I'm the original anti beer snob, love craft, but grew up on Coors and still unapologetically stock it at home. So I was really excited to try this offering … I was not disappointed. Nice clear, golden brown color with an ample white head, the lacing still in my empty pint. I dig hops, and while subtle, the hoppy notes are clearly present in Batch 19. Good entry beer for anyone just getting into crafts and learning what hops bring to the table.
Hey Coors, put your name on this one proudly. Solid effort! (511 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +17.2%

Great reviews for a Coors product? I had to see for myself. The 6 pack was only $7 total. Hmm.

Pours a nice golden/copper with a huge white head into my glass. Very nice way to start and not what I usually associate with Coors.

Crisp with a good pine/citrus hop bite mated to bready malt. It smells closer to an actual pils as well.

Sweet and grainy with buttered bread and light citrus hop notes. Doughy. Though not quite a pils, it tastes very close to one.

No "metallic" aftertaste here. Light and fluffy with lingering buttered bread and citrus hops.

I have to admit, I'm impressed with this one. I didn't think that Coors had it in them to produce such a drinkable beer. It's really quite a shame that pre-prohibition lagers aren't attempted more often by BMC. They might win over some new drinkers in the process. (827 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer really surprised me.. and since then I've drank a ton of it... I actually buy it by the case... The look and taste are both good, but what got me the most was the smells as the beer warmed... you can literally smell the strongest floral smells I think I've ever smelled in a beer... it literally starts smelling like flowers are in the beer... The taste also gets more complex as the beer warms.. I recommend drinking this only slightly cold.. or take it out of the fridge and let it set for 10 mins or so... When I seen coors brewed this I couldn't believe it... At least someone over there knows wtf theyre doing, haha... Sure isn't the brewer coors light and that other crap beer they make... If you haven't tried this beer you should. (748 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful brownish gold color with a white head that barely lingers.

Smell: Smells clean with a heavy malt flavor. There is no off smell from the adjunct grains. Very light hops but that is expected from the noble hops used.

Taste: A solid malt beer with a hint of hops. A lot better than most lagers from the major breweries.

Mouthfeel: A light beer which is expected from a lager.

Overall: This is a winner from Coors. (456 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +15.2%

A standard pour of Coors' Batch 19 Lager yields a semi-viscous snow-white foam atop a golden-amber body. The flurry of medium-sized bubbles that exploded in the glass just after the initial pour quickly turns into a steady sheet of champagne-like army of tiny bubbles, equidistantly spaced, that race towards the top.

The nose is delightful. Moist hay, green apple cider, and elderflower spring to mind.

The taste follows the nose to a tee. The sour flavor of fermented green apples dominates. The bitter aromatics of elderflower and lavender emerge in the back end and are sustained throughout the beer's surprisingly long hang.

The value of a beer's mouthfeel is typically determined by considering the way in which it complements the beer's flavor. This is true here, too: the beer is light on the palate and allows its crisp, tart flavors of green apple to shine. But quick whirl around the tongue tosses up some of the frothiest, most pleasing foam my tongue has touched in a long time. Yes. That's what I call nearly perfect.

Coors' Batch 19 is the American macro-brewery's attempt to cash in on the recent explosion of craft brewing in the US. I purchased this bottle expecting not to like it. What a surprise. No. What a shock! For the first time, I'm nostalgic for the 19th century and looking forward to trying more of these "pre-prohibition" beers, which have been increasingly visible on the craft beer scene of late. (1,435 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a nice medium golden brown, clear, with some carbonation visible. A lot of foamy head on this that sticks around for a while, and never disappeares completely.

S: Pretty light on the smell. Some malt and bread aromas, but not a lot here.

T: Unlike the smell, there is a lot going on here. Has a nice malty, bread taste, complimented by a very nice hint of slight hoppy bitterness, and finishing with a moderate sweetness. Really very nice.

M: Mouthfeel also very good. Medium-bodied, slightly sticky, with just the right amount of carbonation.

O: I didn't realize until I brought this home that it was brewed by Coors, at which point I became quite skeptical. But this was a very nice surprise. The taste has a great amount of complexity and balance, and they nailed the mouthfeel. I could definitely see myself buying this again sometime. (852 characters)

Found bottled at Jubilation in Albuquerque.

Clear amber colored beer with a small white colored head. This is significantly darker than any current lager from a major American brewer.

Quite hoppy, you can smell it from quite a distance away. Scents of corn and toasted grain with a strong noble hop scent. Spicy hop with grass, hay and a herbal scent I can only describe as sassafras root.

Starts out mildly sweet with a sharp hop bite at the end. Pleasantly hoppy, not quite bitter though. Herbal hop bite tastes much like it smells.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a damn good lager! If Coors tasted like this I would drink it a lot more often than about once a year! (669 characters)

Best by June 10, 13:

Pours deep golden with a creamy/bubbly white head that has good staying power. Ample lacing sticks.

The smell is pretty clean, with caramel and some earthy hops.

The taste is sweet - caramel - with bitterness backing it up and mixing in well - herbal and earthy. It has a refreshing finish that hangs on for awhile.

It has a nice body to it - thicker than typical. It has a malty smoothness with a crispness without being fizzy.

Well, this is probably the best in style I've had. Basic, but well-balanced and smooth. This is a solid choice for a basic, "sessionable" brew! (598 characters)

Saw a display of this beer, and was lured in by the packaging. Didn't realize this was a Coors product until I got home and scoured the packaging for who was behind this shadowy looking brew.

The appearance of this brew is quite more appetizing than your standard Coors. Makes a strong two finger thick white foam crown, and the body is copper brown in color, and has no haze.

The aroma is very metallic, has tobacco traits, and some lemon and tea hints as well.

Taste wise I detect a small amount of sweet corn, corn husk, cooked veggie mix, and mild tobacco.

Feels medium in body, oily, and dry to the palate.

Overall a better brew than I was expecting, and this needs to be made more mainstream so i can eat this with some wings at Bdubs. (746 characters)

Pours a standard one finger head, the head is almost pure white, maybe slightly off white, it is puttering away fairly fast, it's not a bad head though, from what I can tell from the head that has stuck around, it's good, decent lacing. The body is traditionally darker than a standard lager, it's a very unique color, almost a 50/50 mix between golden/yellow, and amber, I've never seen a beer like this before. For the most part this beer is transparent, but it is dark enough that it objects your view just a little bit. Overall....the head went away fast, but it left good foam and lacing, the body is mostly see through, but it's a really unique color, so overall the look is confusing - unique, bad in some areas, good in others, final conclusion - it looks good. Very good aroma, perfect balance between hops and malts, at least in terms of lagers. The malts come through first, and they are very sweet smelling, but not an offensive or overpowering sweet, it smells just right. Then the hops come through the smell a little bit in the second half of the aroma. Overall I would like the smell to be bigger, but I can't ask much more from Coors and an adjunct lager. Considering everything - this smells really good. Maybe a tiny bit of cheap adjuncts, but not really at all, maybe some honey in here in fact, which would be very nice, anyways, I'm ranting, like I said - good smell. The taste is very interesting, the first thing I get is malt, sweet malt, but like I thought on the smell, it's not offensive, it works with the beer very well. Then comes a nice hop bite, very small, but very noticeable as well. I do notice a nice honey flavor appearing in a few different places in this beer. Overall it's a very smooth, drinkable, tasty beer. The flavor isn't huge, but it really shouldn't be for the style. Overall it tastes really good. Mouthfeel is very good for a lager, not too much carbonation, it's just right, and it's not too watery in the mouth. Drinkability is very high, cause it's light and very tasty. Overall there really isn't anything wrong with this beer, is it outstanding? No, but it's very tasty and pretty dang good. I can't believe how high I rated this beer, considering it's made by Coors, but by gosh it deserves it. (2,252 characters)

Coor's is quite capable of brewing good beer, too bad we waited so long. I highly recommend this one if you can find it cheaper than the 9.99 per six pack I paid, at this price point I'll grab something else. It's an exellent full flavored Lager -it says ALE on the side label?-
Why doesn't Coors just can this beer in 16oz only and retail them 9.99 it would be different.
Just as tasty as Anchor Steam Beer! nice but I bet this brand won't last long.... (454 characters)

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - clear light amber color with a white head that had decent staying power leaving trails of lacing.

S - malty sweetness with a hint of grains.

T - suprisingly tasty beer with plenty of malt flavor and a bit of bitterness on the finish.

F - medium bodied with good carbonation, easy to drink.

O - a fine example of the style. (371 characters)

A: Bright, clear golden color. Poured a fizzy white head with fair retention to a thin skim. Laced in small blotches. Decanted lightly.

S: Hay and grass. Faint note of wet grains.

T: Grainy malts up front. Yields quickly to a sharp bitter lending to an excellent balance and clean finish.

M: Light body. Moderate carbonation. Crisp and dry.

D: Very drinkable. Don't really taste the adjuncts like most of its ilk. (418 characters)

This, by far, is my favorite beer!
My pal bought it on a whim because he is crazy about history and invited me over for a few drinks. I took one swig and I was hooked. I literally teared up because of how wonderful it tasted. I was only over for a half hour and I had consumed three. Several weeks later I found out that the batch I had before was well past it's suggested sell date (7 months over) so I decided to get some more. This batch was just as good if not even better than the first.

What I am saying is if you are looking fir something new to try and you enjoy lagers:

Try this! (591 characters)

On tap at Elways - Cherry Creek. I believe this beer suffers in ratings as a result of it's brewer, Coors. One of the better Adjunct Lagers out there, in my opinion. On to the review:

Beer arrived in a pint glass, translucent golden amber color with a finger's width of white bubble foam, good retention and lacing. The nose is malty sweet with hints of earthy hops and caramel sweetness. The flavor is mild and approachable with a solid malt foundation and mild bitterness. Well balanced without a hint of skunk that is so prevalent with the style. Finishes clean and crisp. Good. Lighter bodied but not watered down, nice, easy to drink. Overall, again one of the better adjunct lagers out there. (699 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +14%

Sample bottle from the brewery, they are launching draft only for now ... not sure if they are ever going to bottle / can it.

Bubbly sea foam head, perfectly clear golden color. Fresh graininess leans towards a more rustic dried grass aroma with a kiss of hops in the back. Refreshing crisp bite enhances the graininess, a little rough around the edges. Hop bitterness is sharp and cuts through most of the malt. On the dry side and relatively clean.

Good drinking, reminds me of some of the retro-beers that are all the rage right now. That is a big hint to the MillerCoors marketing department ... tall boy cans, crack into the hipster crowd and this beer might actually make it. (683 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really wanted to dislike this beer but it is surprisingly good. It pours brilliant gold with a pure white 1” foam cap with masses of tiny bubbles that produce excellent lace. Has a clean, light malt, spicy herbal nose with a hint of earthiness and a light touch of grainy spice. The initial palate suggests light fruit – hints of apple but this soon hides behind rich grain and light malt with a crisp bitter emphasis on the finish with a faint lingering hint of anise from the hops. Medium light body and above average carbonation – seltzery but surprisingly drinkable. (578 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance:
Transparent, golden colored body topped with a nice, finger-thick head that hangs around for some time. Carbonation is abundant and lacing is impressive for the style!

Aroma:
Slightly sweet and heavy on wheat notes. A fair bit of malt and light grains. Every now and again, I'll catch some lemon peel.

Taste:
Good! I honestly wasn't expecting much chracter, and I'm happy to report I was wrong. A nice, grainy body with some light cirtus notes. A decent amount of hop presence provides a light, crisp bitter bite. A nice, subtle spice is also noticable - mostly pepper.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy, smooth, and refreshing! Crisp finish leaves you wanting more. Carbonation is off the charts. Light-bodied, this should please many.

Overall:
A pleasant surprise! I had no idea Coors was capable of such a product. Easy to drink and refreshing. Everyone should go into this one with an open mind and prepare to be blown away because it's not just a good beer for a domestic brewery, it's just a good beer period. (1,015 characters)

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company