Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Batch 19Batch 19

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
BlackBeerDown

Jeffani

04-09-2013 04:15:34 | More by Jeffani
TheBeerdedCharmer

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer to date. I'm a history guy so when I saw a pre-prohibition style lager, I had to get it. Could not be happier with the decision. Good color, wasn't a fan of the smell because I didn't realize that the first batch I picked up was way past the suggested date. It still tasted great though. Then had to buy a new batch not past the date and it was even better. Can't believe it's made by Coor's. Thanks a lot, Prohibition, for making this delicious beer disappear for almost a century

10-30-2013 00:44:00 | More by TheBeerdedCharmer

08-25-2013 20:52:25 | More by matt56007
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.49/5  rDev +34%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Coors Batch 19 has a medium, foamy, off-white head, some thin lacing left on the glass, and a clear, bubbly, amber appearance. The aroma is of citrusy hops, sweet brown bread, and mildly-roasted malt. Taste is of sugar, sweet brown bread, roasted barley malt, and a pleasant, pronounced hop bitterness throughout the middle-to-end of the sip. The mouthfeel is light and watery, and Coors Batch 19 finishes dry, refreshing, and pleasant. Overall, this is a fantastic, delicious, and eminently drinkable beer. I rate it most excellent.

RJT

02-09-2013 17:32:17 | More by RonaldTheriot
Damian

4.44/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz./355ml bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA
Sep 1613
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a medium amber color. Much darker and more colorful than any American adjunct lager I have ever seen. The liquid was capped by a one-inch tall, tight, creamy, frothy, off-white crown that deposited thick, drippy lacing along the glass.

Crisp, dry, powdery, yeasty notes came out strong in the nose. There was a subtle, sweet bready malt presence as well. Pleasant and quite interesting for the style. Slightly grainy. As the beer warmed, a touch of floral hops became noticeable. The malty sweetness intensified as well.

The beer was amazingly flavorful for the style. Bready, biscuity malts came through strong on the front end. Tart and bright in the center with wheaty and lemony notes dominating. Dry, earthy hops were noticeable in the crisp and semi-bitter finish. With time, the flavor profile really intensified. Earthy, herbal hops and bready malts really made their presence known. Some floral hops appeared as well. Toward the beer's end, I swear I was also picking up some citrusy (orange peel?) hop notes. This really began tasting a lot more like an American amber ale than a typical adjunct lager.

The mouthfeel was super creamy, frothy and smooth. A fine, medium effervescence made the liquid feel slick on the palate.

Malts? Hops? Flavor? I am used to macro lagers being wimpy, fizzy beers, but this was a notable exception. Coors really came through big time with this "pre-prohibition style lager." I would love to see it offered in tall ball cans, perhaps taking a space alongside PBR, Narragansett and Schlitz at my local digs.

08-17-2013 14:31:51 | More by Damian
bullseyestrat

4.43/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I remember the first time I bought Batch 19 at my local liquor store. I wasn't too sure what to expect but I'm glad I bought some. Coors outdid themselves when figuring out the brew of Batch 19. Not to mention the bottles are very neat. Near the cap there looks to be a fashioned groove that was most likely an assembly line feature used on beer bottles from then time.
Appearance-wise its a bit darker for a lager but definitely not a dark lager. More of a dark blackish brown color that pours rather smooth.
Smell-wise there's more of a malty bitter smell to it. Not a whole lot going on but it gives a sneak preview to what kind of beer it is.
Taste-wise its very bold, malty, smooth, and just rather tasty. Its nothing like Coors but at the same time I really like it. In my opinion I'd prefer it over a Bud Black Crown which is the prime competitor.
In your mouth its very smooth and solid. Won't kick you in the butt but lets you know its there.
Overall I really like Coors Batch 19. If beer in 1919 was really as tasty as that, I can see why prohibition was in force.

09-06-2013 02:48:42 | More by bullseyestrat
mudbug

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +30.7%

From the bottle into a pilsner glass results in a very appealing slightly hazed golden body with a nice one inch fluffy head that slowly recedes into a thin cap and lacing on the sides a cascade of champaign like bubbles rises continuously to the top keeping things lively.
Aroma is bready cracker, grain with just a touch of floral hops. very clean smelling, nice
Taste is just right for the style, grain, cracker, a slight corn sweetness followed by a subtle hop bitterness, this brew begs to be chugged, it is refreshing in the extreme. Medium bodied for the style, but still a great thirst quencher.
Overall I'm impressed, Coors CAN produce a tasty lager, they should do this more often.
Recommended, I will certainly buy again.

11-27-2012 21:26:53 | More by mudbug
slow3v

4.35/5  rDev +29.9%

A-Deep, golden with a nice head poured into a standard pint glass.

S-Light, malty and smooth smelling

T-Great balanced flavor, with a lot of different notes standing out. Maltiness, a hint of hop or a "sharp edge," but overall extremely smooth and flavorful.

M-Good smooth mouthfeel, not overly carbonated but not heavy either.

O-Great overall. I picked it up from a local grocery sore first, and have since been asking / requesting for it at a few local bars. No tap handles yet to be seen but a few places offer it in bottles.

01-03-2013 22:14:58 | More by slow3v
Mojave_Ted

4.31/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've been looking for a good drinkable/poundable lager for a long time (and NO, Guinness 'Black' is not the answer). Ales are too heavy in %alc, flavor and calories/carbs. This lays between a light pilsner and a run of the mill ale.

I got this by accident. If I'd seen it was a Coors product I'da left it on the shelf (I do drink Coors Light). Glad I didn't.

I poured it into an original old school Coors pilsner glass. The color is perfect, just golden amber brown and translucent.

the bubbles are fine and consistent. But not as fine as Guinness 'Draught'. It is not over carbonated either. Has perfect carbonation imo. You'd have to really screw up to get an overflowing head in a glass.

The flavor is rich with hops being the most notable flavor and then a floral/aromatic/sweet-ish flavor.

The after taste is subtle and good. This beer sips great 'til the last drop. Not sour or bitter. I did mention 'sweet', but NOT like a MGD.

I drink it from the bottle or poured into a glass. At 5.5% it's stouter than light pilsners, but much much tastier. This is a good dinner beer as it doesn't bloat.

I like this more than Guinness "Black". I will never buy Guinness "Black" again, but if you have a 'fridge or cooler full of it, I will pound it down.

However, it's a bit pricey considering its origin.

04-10-2013 02:44:51 | More by Mojave_Ted
IndustrialCanine

4.29/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer blew me away for a SAB/Miller product.
I worked in the industry for several years and frankly I'm tired of crap craft ales. Here is a lager that has bite, mouthfeel, and hop aromas.

I've rotated to lagers because I can't take the yeast that's in the solution of most ales at this point. After years of being a massive hop head I developed an allergy to hops. This beer brings me back in a format that doesn't destroy me.

I'll be buying another sixer in the future.

11-11-2013 06:03:17 | More by IndustrialCanine
norinco

04-01-2013 23:13:34 | More by norinco
dbraz45

Arizona

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

The appearance is a deep bronze, mildly carbonated, with a thick white head. The taste is hop forward, but not overly hoppy, balanced out with malt character. Batch 19 is a well rounded brew. This is a very solid offering from Coors. I can't help but think that many reviewers are biased because this is produced by a big brewer. I will definitely keep this one in my rotation, and I advise any beer lover to at least give this one a shot.

12-10-2012 00:15:02 | More by dbraz45