Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,231 | Reviews: 240

having not tried Coors latest ,picked up a sixer

now before review this what caught my eye
hops ,lager

ok here we go

poured into a Sierra nevada ale pint glass

light amber , appears to be artificial carbonation, perfect head, lacing ? bah
nose - not much
ad says hops where are they ?
lager - absolutely not

another george killians type slightly better, but not there yet , i guess this is to appeal to the budweiser masses ,was really "hopping" for a change

same ole same ole just a different bottle of corn -rice malt beer from Coors.

save your money,considering the $9 a sixer at local Publix false advertising on Coors part.

to bad they have the money and market to make a real good beer. this is not

1.14/5  rDev -65.8%

A: Golden-brown, minimal head, pretty meh lacing.

S: Ugh, smells like a Coors product. Adjunct city.

T: Tastes like a Coors product too, but like someone was playing a trick and threw too much bittering hops in there. Salty carbonic finish.

M: Thin bodied, prickly carbonation, sticky metallic finish.

O: This beer taught me a lesson: Look at who the damn brewer is before you buy the product. Coors once again proves it can't make a decent beer.

Update: Tried the beer a second time upon getting home after having a few (much better) beers at the bar. It was even worse than the first bottle this afternoon. Drainpour. Must update ratings. How the Beer Bros rated this a 90 I have NO idea.

1.3/5  rDev -61%

sickly-sweet, with a poor blend of flavors. The honey taste does not blend well, standing out in an awkward manner rather than enhancing flavor. As if Coors could not agree on an overall theme and tried to include all. Sweet/bitter/sour without distinction.

1.5/5  rDev -55%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Ugh, not good. Not good at all. It took a lot to stomach this one. I give it a 1.5 instead of a 1, only because I was able to finish it without drain pouring. Although it was close. If this is supposed to mimic the style of a pre-prohibition lager, then I am very glad we have moved beyond that time period. Otherwise I probably would not be a beer drinker if this is how they all tasted.

Will not seek out or purchase again. Won't even drink it if offered.

1.62/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

On draft at Miller Park. Brewers vs. Nationals. Great seats right behind first base.

The beer is hazy and light brown with a half inch of light khaki head. The aroma is adjunct sweetness, sweet caramel malt. Smells macro all the way. The taste is just shitty. There's really no other way to say it. I try to rate to style, and I don't expect an adjunct lager to have the complexity of a gueze or big imperial stout. That said, this beer tastes like syrup, artificial sweeteners, fake fruity crap. There is no integrity in this product. This beer was designed for commercial purposes only. Gross on so many levels. Avoid.

1.69/5  rDev -49.2%

This is the worst swill I've ever had. I bought a twelve pack, and the only -- O.N.L.Y. thing I can use this for is boiling brats! What utter dreck.

It is quite hoppy at first, but the finish has this - flavor - that reminds me of open sewage. It even "felt" to me as if there were "chunks" in it, even though I know it did not. It was possibly the worst experience I've ever had.

The twelve cost me $13 (a ripoff), and I feel bad because I just got done telling my wife that I would certainly be able to drink the entire twelve pack. But one taste and I poured the rest down the sink.

1.86/5  rDev -44.1%

I purchased a 6 pack of this thinking it was a local micro @ 10.00 a 6 pack I was robbed. Cracked open a cold one and had to do a double check. Is this beer or water. Oh its a Coors product. you would think that a company that has been in business as long as the big boys they would figure out how to create some beers.

clear golden color white half finger head. grainy hay like nose. tastes is dry biscuit, leafy hop, grainy mouthful, a bit of acidity, pretty big body for a smaller beer, not as clean as expected with a bit of flavor but nothing crazy. boring with some rough edges. feels nice in the mouth and has more flavor than your typical lager but it's bad example of a great lager in my opinion.

It has the normal Coors taste you'd expect.

2.12/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Ba Review #282
Served On: 06/29/2013
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: 5.5%
Date/ Code: -

This was a bottle from a sixer I picked up at the Red Roase bar in Hellam, PA.

Look: A clear watery straw consistency with no real color profile. This beer could probably define the word ‘pale’. The head was just a thin coating of white haze. There was some noticeable lacing when I tipped the glass.

Smell: Surprisingly no real skunk in the aroma. Besides that, not much of a nose. Sweet grainy corn and rice with a solvent chariter.

Taste: At first I got a crisp refreshing sensation followed by some metallic and corn notes. After about four sips it started tasting like water with a terrible dry metallic aftertaste. It was the same aftertaste I get with Yuengling Traditional Lager (which this probably could pass for if they added caramel coloring like Yuengling does).

I think the quality of this beer is relative to the situation. In my case it was the better of multiple evils, and it was hot out. If I were to have this beer at a bar or restaurant, it would certainly be a lot worse.

2.19/5  rDev -34.2%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pilsner glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a transparent, dark gold color with a white two finger head. Retention is poor. Better looking than I expected, but still nothing special.

S - Mild, mild aroma. Some sweet pale malt and caramel is about all I get off this one. Disappointing to say the least.

T - Unrefined barley, stale cereal and a bit of oddly placed cream. It's a little more bitter on the finish from the generic hops, but this is the only thing that really differentiates this one from standard Coors. It's simple, uninspired, and in my opinion, just a marketing ploy.

M - Medium bodied, smooth, and strangely thick. It's o.k. at best.

D - Not a fan of this one. There's hardly anything that sets this apart from your everyday Coors. If you like the original, though, you won't be disappointed with this.

2.24/5  rDev -32.7%

August 22nd, 2013 - Is Coors Batch 19 a clumsy appeal to craft beer drinkers? Or something else? I'm going with "something else". While the color is a nice basset hound brown, the smell and taste give very little for the picky, internet crusading beer reviewer to go on. The aroma is generically sweet and nutty, like peanuts, but tainted with an off-putting urine smell. This face-wrenching note also appears in the aftertaste, after a sweeter gulp of the peanut flavored sugars and a very, very busy carbonation. This beer was left on the tasting room table for either a waiter or a drinker far more desperate for a sip than me.

2.26/5  rDev -32.1%

12oz bottle into a pint. Thanks to Eric for continuing to spoil (?) me with a bunch of beer I would otherwise never get to try because I refuse to buy this sort of stuff. It appears in my glass a color of artificial caramel coloring that is perfectly clear with some yellowish hints around the edges. A mildly off-white cap resides atop and refuses to die in the glass. It paints some patches of lace on the glassware and honestly doesn't look that bad even by american adjunct standards.

The aroma is immediately reminiscent of a bunch of bad nights chugging coors original aka banquet beer in my pre-legal years. It smells of sweetness like caramel candy coupled with toffee, corn and buttered popcorn. There is a trace amount of herbal hops that try to break things up, but for the most part this smells like a dirty sugary adjunct brew.

The flavor of this brew is somewhat like buttered popcorn coupled with a bit of caramel to candy toffee flavoring. A faint amount of herbal hops are present that break up the sweetness of the malt but are not present enough to have any distinct flavoring. The aftertaste is minorly carbonic and includes some sulfur and hints of that almost artificial tasting caramel or toffee with herbal hops.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. In the past year I have had several "pre-prohibition brews" that were very enjoyable. This however was not that enjoyable. It tastes like coors original/banquet beer but with a dirty caramel flavor and a touch of herbal hops.

2.35/5  rDev -29.4%

First had: on tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Strangely not too bad for a Coors product.

Poured a clear golden color with a thin fizzy head; no real retention or lacing to speak of. Sweetness of pale malts in the nose, light leafy hops, spent grains. Toasted grains in the taste with an unexpected honey sweetness, backed by light leafy hops as detected in the aroma. Light body, easily drinkable, but overall lacking in flavor and complexity, as any basic adjunct lager would be. Still not bad, all things considered.

2.49/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

5.5% ABV confirmed. Best by May 27 2013. Acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood earlier tonight. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery, but I've heard this isn't half-bad actually. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with an awesome bubbled-out grip on the neck and a branded pressure cap served into an Oskar Blues pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California.

I love the bottle and like the label.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a one finger beige colour head, with little cream, of bad thickness and bad (~1 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear translucent pale yellow-copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks a lot better than many other Coors products. No overt flaws. Standard fare.

Sm: Caramalt, light toasted malt, and generic floral hopping. Grainy, with some bland grassy notes as well. Pleasant and understated. A light to average strength aroma. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Crystal malt. Caramalt. Clean barley. None of the straw or watery character typical of the style. I don't even get any corn. Floral hop character is timid but welcome. A nice graininess forms the bulk of the body. Some light grassy character, but it's bland. Overall, it tastes like a bad amber - which isn't half-bad for an American adjunct lager. A bit too sweet. It does have flavour. I wouldn't say I like it, but it's surprisingly tolerable and pleasant. Most notably, I can't find (and by find, I mean identify precisely) the adjunct in this adjunct lager; that's quite an achievement.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and chewy. Smoothness is artificial and off-putting. Carbonation is near perfect, to its credit. It has more body than I expected from a beer of its style, but it still comes off thin and weak.

Dr: Quite drinkable. Fit for beer pong; far more-so than other beers in the style. It's definitely one of the better adjunct lagers I've had, but it lacks the buttery feel of other "good" adjunct lagers. A lot of reviewers will attack this beer merely because of the brewery, but I'm confident if you hosted a blind taste test of crappy budget brews, this would take the top spot. And I think that says a lot. Hides its average ABV well. I'd get this again if I were at a macro-only bar. This is up there with Miller High Life as a go-to for power hours. Call it a guilty pleasure.

High D+

2.52/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a tapered pilsner glass.

A-Pours a golden color, minimal head, no lacing. There's plenty of lively carbonation (the best part of its appearance). Truthfully, this beer looks dirty.

S- Very grainy, stale. There is some note of a sweet candy but it is made up of smells that are just hard to get past the nose.

T- Grassy, wet grains, some caramel malt sweets...at best.

M- Watery, well carbonated. Sour finish.

O- It looks, smells, and tastes dirty. Were there no sanitation standards pre-prohibition? There is nothing good about this beer, and I am being polite and kind.

2.54/5  rDev -23.7%

Not great, but certainly better than most other Coors products.

2.55/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Golden with accents of amber and light brown. Has a very clean clear look which to me just looks like it lacks some body. Slightly below average to average carbonation throughout.

Smell: Slightly sweet malt with a funky hop presence. Touches of amber, wheat, molasses, and prairie grass. Lacks a resounding presence though.

Taste: Crisp hop front. Some malt and yeast in the body which lack distinction. All flavors fade on the back half of this beer and leave almost nothing on the palette. Watery feeling is the lasting image left from this beer.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery.

Overall: Its not bad but not something I would go back to. Still has that big beer adjunct taste which I just cannot get past. But this beer is a step forward over their other products which shows some hope for the future.

2.59/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I did not like this beer. I gave it a chance. It reminds me of all the beers AB tries to get creative with. The aftertaste is always Bud. In this case the aftertaste was Coors Light. Take Coors Light, add some hops and some coloring and this is what you'll end up with.

2.65/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured copper with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, wheat, spice, and grain. The flavor was of sweet malt, wheat, grain, earth, and subtle spice. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly average brew. Nothing on this one really stood out if I'm honest. I would like to give them credit for trying on this one but I really don't know why they felt the need to do so. Worth ticking if you get the chance, but that is about it.

2.68/5  rDev -19.5%

The smell was close to a lager like budweiser. It wasnt noting special plus its made by coors. It taste better than all the average lagers like budwesier, coors and heinken. It is more tatier and maltlier than your average beer and a slite bit more bitter cant taste alchol it taste fair. light and crisp refreshing with small citrus hops overall i try it once but never again

would not buy it again

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

Ah, the ol' AAL in a different way or uh...er according to Coors.
This was poured into a pilsener.
The color was a light glossy yellow with a fizzy bubbly head that dissipated within about ten seconds. There wasn't any lacing.
The smell was grainy and slightly metallic.
So was the taste.
The mouthfeel was super light and sessionable. Could definitely be consumed in mass quantities.
Overall, well, though Coors tried to make something different, did it work ... not really for me.

2.78/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Seemed interesting, I only realized it was COORS when I opened it.
A-Golden yellow, nothing special
S-Smells like a typical Coors beer, metalic
T-Not something to remember
M-Again, standard Coors
O-I was not impressed, the guy at ABC Liquor was very excited, and sold me well, bastard! This is nothing different than the standard Coors crap from Walmart.

2.78/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

An aggressive pour yields a rock three finger head over a clear amber body. Suprisingly good head retention with a decent amount of lacing.

Aroma has a very metallic note that I don't enjoy at all. A little bit of light toast and caramel is in the background along with some spicy hops. It is all overshadowed, however, by metal.

The flavor is a little bit better with a decent amount of caramel and some hints of light toast. There is an overall sweetness about this beer that almost gives off hints of molasses. Mild bitterness with a little bit of wet grass towards the finish. Mouthfeel is sticky and too sweet for the style limiting drinkability.

Overall, this seems like less of a Classic American Pilsner and more of a poorly made amber lager. If the sweetness were dialed back a bit and the metallic aroma taken care of this could be a decent beer. If I want an older style American beer, I'll take a Schlitz Gusto.

2.79/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: golden amber in color with a wispy 1/4" head that broke apart in seconds.

Smell: a bit of a sweet and herbal aroma was a bit off putting here.

Taste: light caramel flavor with some grainy malt sweetness, some grass, and a mild hop bitterness created somewhat of an off balanced and sweeter than exepected lager.

Mouthfeel: light in body. Light crispness to start, smooth at the finish. Relatively clean aftertaste.

Overall: this one was hard to finish after the first few swigs. Didn't know this was a Coors product until I looked it up, but it was disappointing from the the first sip.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company