Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Reviews: 231 | Hads: 1,237
3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A nice adjunct lager, solid malty backbone with good bitter hops, clean finish and highly drinkable. Sort of a watered down adjunct SA. My only issue was the price, in my area 9/six competes with many better beers. If Coors drops the price to a more reasonable level this one could make it. (290 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Was surprised to find that this beer was quite good.

Nothing mind blowing, just a crisp, easy drinking golden lager that tastes like it has actual malt in it, with a very pleasing hop finish.

Don't let the brewer put you off, this is sneaky good. (249 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance-Light amber with a white foam

Smell-Wheat with a slight aroma of medicinal red fruit.

Taste-Not overpowering but the best part of the beer. Mostly wheaty with nutty toffee.

Mouthfeel-Medium body without a very long finish

Overall-Like a fuller bodied Coors. Goes great with pizza and a game though. (313 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving: Bottle into pint glass
Served: January 2013

Going from memory here.

Appearance: Like your standard AAL- light, golden yellow; crystal clear; nice carbonation strings visible. A white head that sticks around longer than other beers of the style. Looks pretty tasty.

Smell: This is the one place where I think this beer could use some improvement. You obviously have the bready-sweet notes from the adjuncts in there, but they actually seem to clash a bit with the hops in there too. You can smell both and they don't really seem complimentary in this one- they seem competitive.

Taste: For an AAL this one is loaded with flavor. You can taste the light, bready notes from the malt, and the sweetness from the corn adds a touch of lightness to it. You can taste some nice hop notes in this one, compared to others in the style. I really like how this one tastes. It's easily the best AAL, in terms of taste, that I've had.

Mouthfeel: Light and spritzy, just like you'd expect.

Overall: This beer gets trashed for being a MillerCoors product, but honestly, this is a great beer. I don't care if A Brewer Who Shall Not Be Named makes it- they make a great interpretation of the style and should continue to do so. A refreshing drink with considerable more flavor that other beers of its family. I honestly believe that people rate this beer lower based on who makes it, and that in a blind taste test, this one would compete admirably with other of the best AALs. (1,474 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: pours a 1 1/2" sudsy off white head that recedes slowly. Some light lacing. Dark golden color with significant carbonation present.
Aroma: toasted malt, caramel, clean water, a hint of earthy hops.
Mouthfeel: light and watery with a dry finish.
Flavor: pleasant combination of sweet caramel, toasted bread, and some definite floral and hop bite flavor with a lingering bitterness.
Overall: very nice lager, well balanced between bitter and sweet. (462 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

I had no idea this was a Coors product when I bought it so my perception of it was totally unbiased. Pours a coppery amber color with a decent frothy head. Aroma is subtle grain - mellow. Taste is malty with a decent hops tinge, and a bit of a peppery overtone. I don't know if they used adjuncts in this beer, I don't taste them but if they did, they were used very well. I think this is a pretty tasty beer and I would buy it again, one of the better lagers I've had actually. (478 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Super light amber/copper
body. White head that leaves almost as quickly as it appeared.

A- Light corn and grain. Faint hop aroma.

T- Initially nice and sweet, but there is a bitterness that comes through. Finishes nice and crisp. Lightly phenolic.

M- Light body moderate carbonation.

D- My first experience with this beer was a bar in Golden, CO. I thought it was a great beer to pair with a meal when your selection is limited. I recently picked it up in bottles and think it is still a pretty great beer. I prematurely told a few people it was Coors and could see the bias change as they found out. (608 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: crystal amber body with a one finger white head and it leaves some lacing on the glass

Aroma: faint spicy hops; dough; not much else

Flavor: grassy, spicy hops, pink peppercorn, lightly roasted caramel, lightly toasted grains, flavors come together for a nice lager

Mouthfeel: super fine carbonation feel – like a flat fizz; soft wool like; soft pink peppercorn spice on the back; dry lightly toasted notes with a touch of spice on the aftertaste that linger;

To the Point: have to say I did not expect much from this product; after being tortured with that Third Shift crap – what else do you expect from the big beer companies trying to compete with the craft beer segment … a good beer … yeah right. Oh yeah, right! This is good. I will buy it again for sitting around the campfire up north. (819 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden amber colored brew with a one finger white head. The head fades rather fast to leave a nice level of lacing.

Smell- The aroma is heaviest of a bready and caramel smell. Mixed with these aromas is a light hop smell of a citrus and earthy nature

Taste – The taste begins with flavors of bread and some caramel sweetness. As the flavor advances a light roasted malt flavor comes to the tongue along with some hop flavors of an earthy nature come to the tongue. As the flavor advances more to the end, it crisps up more as the caramel flavors diminish some and more bready flavors comes to the tongue. With these transitions more hop flavors of a light citrus nature come to the tongue as well and leave a lightly hopped crisp flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the lighter side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is very average. It’s pretty decent for the style as it is smooth and matched the crispness and light hop flavors of the brew fairly well.

Overall – A nice easy drinking and good session brew. It has enough hop flavor to make it somewhat exciting, but it still maintains an easy and relatively clean lager taste. (1,253 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Oh my, its sure has been a ling time since my last review. Been holding off due to the site changes. I'm an old school soul that takes dramatic change hard. The pace if technology, possibilities and constant changes with the many and complex social aspects creates a oroblem for me. I like to keep it simple, direct and personal. Sometimes you have to roll with it and adapt. Its only because i love the very foundation of what this site is based on do i bother to come back. Do i naturally like how the site looks, feels, operates now compared to say 2010...no. but who cares, ? I love beer, reviews and the work ut takes to create and maintain such a popular style site. Ih damn, its high time i review this beer currently getting warm because i'm typing in a tiny ass android key pad!

First off, i love the concept of historical recipes and beers brewed as such. I love historu and im an old soul in a young body. For sure.

The look is pretty nice. Amber, not yelliw or clear color. I always feel like a major comoany like millercoors might skimp out on certain aspects of a brew. No evidence of that here.

Aroma is a rather funky, musky, burnt sugar, earthy and sour delight. I really like how these aromas blend. The hop smell is very interesting

Flavor is actually pretty complex, with a unique,funk to the hop flavor. Sour and wheat_ earthy effect. Together, worth sipping and ponderig. The malt, thank god is not too sweet ir lingering. Balance can make or break a brew for me, this one imoresses.

Feel is good, no malty left overs, stays crisp but maintains a mouth complexity.

I think many will not be open to this beer simply because its from one of big boys. Judge it for what it is. Word. (1,710 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

With all these 'retro' beers coming out, I'm finding it interesting to try them.

This one pours a nice amber shade with a light beige head. I expected more carbonation with this but wasn't disappointed with it.

The aroma was nice and moderately hoppy with some malt in the background.

Taste was better than Coors other beers. It was light but not watery. Again, the German hops had a moderate presence without being overbearing. It finished fairly dry; I would almost say there was some rye in the grain bill.

Mouthfeel was light. Let's move on.

Over all, this is a pleasant beer. If I wanted to drink a lighter beer, I'd consider having one or two in a bar. (663 characters)

Best by 12NOV12

Cool bottle. Interesting brew. Pours an amber lager with a bit of white bubbles here and there. Nose is caramel, sugar substitutes, some banana, a little grain - nice nose. Flavor is nice and smooth lager - reminds me of a munich helles and is slightly sweet and woody. Easy drinking. Medium bodied with lower carb and a nice semi slick finish. A surprise from a giant - a really drinkable beer. I would order this occasionally. (445 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this at the Texas Roadhouse in York, served chilled in a pint.

The color is an apricot shade with light haze and thin white cap, retention is good. The smell is very gentle with mild malt sweetness and subtle floral hop aspects with a light spice ester. The feel is good with mild sweetness crisp medium bodied moderate carbonation and semi-dry finish.

I like the flavor while it has a slight pils sweetness it also has an herbal hop flavor which adds to the malt profile with a dry finish it is a pretty drinkable lager (532 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark amber with a high white head. The smell is crisp minerals, some grain, maybe a little mild citrus. The taste is pretty yeasty, or maybe like soda bread, with a tough mineral backbone and some citrus tang in the finish. I could believe this was a dortmunder lager. It's a little more fizzy than it needs to be, but is largely crisp and refreshing. Not one I'll probably revisit often, but certainly a respectable lager. (431 characters)

Gigantic mug of beer. On tap @ chef Geoffs mcLean VA
A: dark golden to amber w 1/2 finger of light white head carbonation is decent, with a lingering ring of head around the top. Lacing is minimal but present

S:sweet, musky, bready, slight floral presence

T: sweet, grainy, bready, very much like an amber lager. Earthy, Husky, with a nice sweetness but also a floral hop presence that balances it out.

M: light-medium, doesn't taste like water, it had a good carbonation and mouthfeel, finish is more sweet than a normal AAL

O:Damn coors. I never thought I'd find an AAL I liked but you've done it. Not start mass producing this instead of your light beers and you've got a new customer. If this is what an AAL should be then I'm on board. I would certainly purchase a draft or 6 pack of this regularly. (810 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Am. lager for first warm days of spring this year.
A little malt, a little corn. mild yeast qualities. Kinda' standard, but solid and pleasing.
Dark for style, darker gold to bronze. Nice dense white head. Very clear.
Sharp prickly carbonation, creates full mouthfeel and softness. A little heavier body than is standard for style.
Heavier malt flavor for style. A touch of sweetness. Adjunct more hidden than in the aroma. Clear hop flavors (a little spicy and herbal) and smooth transition to the bitterness, which lingers through a long rather dry finish.
A bigger tasting and fuller richer lager than typical. (613 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Good looking, golden and clear with rising bubbles and a nice two finger head that had staying power and left nice lace.

Aroma was light, grains predominantly but some sweet maltiness.

Taste was actually pretty good. It's a little sweet at first, but a dry graininess, followed by some hay and a bit of a crisp hops bite follows up quickly. There's a light corn and malt base, along with a little caramel too.

Body is very light and pretty well carbonated, extremely easy to drink.

I bought a single of this in a mixer sixer just to try/review it. I didn't realize it was a Coors product, but I probably would have tried it anyway. I must say that this beer is pretty damn good stuff, and that I actually hope that Coors markets it well and it sells well to their base customers. It has flavor, head, and color, and while not really the go-to choice for a hophead like me, I'm sure that your average BMC drinker would enjoy this beer. I would not complain if I went to a party and this was the only beer they had.

This is a very good American Adjunct Lager. (1,065 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Transparent golden color lager with thick head. Descent retention and no lacing.

Grainy, bread-like aroma with a hint of orange.

Whole wheat malt flavor. Assertive hop character, citrus and soap. Honey sweetness. Fairly well balanced and complex without many adjunct flavors.

Medium bodied and well carbonated. Slick in the middle and drying in the end.

Much more interesting that most brews that come out of Coors, both in flavor and body. Hardly seems like an adjunct lager at all. I'm impressed. (503 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +11.5%

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company, the "pre-Prohibition style lager". Potentially a gimmick, I'll see and taste for myself. Poured from the unique bottle into a glass, Batch 19 has a 1.5 finger head with nearly solid lacing. I give the appearance a 4 because the amber displayed here is just stunning. Its just PURE amber color. Google image search "amber" and you will see the same color I am. Very great job here!

I can smell pleasant malt sweetness, maybe some other assorted grains as well. Its not very strong smelling but it doesn't require extra effort to notice the components.

Ok, let's take a nice swig: yup, malt sweetness and a GREAT balance of hop bitterness. Also, throughout my experience, I tasted a dash of caramel and perhaps some breadiness if that makes sense. Now THIS is a good entry-level craft lager. Faux craft of not.

Mouthfeel is, yes, outstanding. Here's why : yes this a SLIGHTLY heavier lager than others, but the precise second I felt the minutely bigger weight, it evened out. Leaving me with a clean finish.

Overall a very well deserved 3.75 for Batch 19. I would've gave it a solid 4, but the lack of scent did away with that. This is up there with Dortmunder Gold, as far as I'm concerned. I will definitely buy this brew again! (1,273 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +11.5%

a nice beer. Meets my standard "tastes like beer". I am not a fan of the strongly hopped flavors that are most prevalent today in "beer". This one tastes like a good beer, but could have a touch more strength in flavor.
It is good. (231 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours nicely into a lovely gold with a rich, thick creamy head with medium carbonation.

Smells well. I get sweet malt and floral hops.

Mouthfeel is pretty good but it kinda lacks the dry after taste in a premium Lager like Third Shift, a favorite, also made by Coors. I would like a tad more bite and a little more taste lingering in the upper mouth.

taste is where its at with this beer. This is a damn good tasting Beer. Utterly delicious. Sweet and Malty but not overly. A bit of dryness after the sip, tho I wish it had more. You CAN feel it traveling to the stomach, as i can with all beer above 5.00 abv.

I dont know what else to say. I really love this stuff. This and Third Shift are now my prime Lagers. (716 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +11.5%

Beautiful, clear gold, with a lasting finger of white fluff.

A slightly sour yeast aroma, with spicy and floral hop lightly sharing the bouquet with some sweet grain.

It tastes much better than the smell prepared me for, nice yeast and grainy sweet to start, balanced very well by the hops that come on at the end of the sip to leave a pleasant spice and floral taste. Balanced and clean. Nice.

Refreshing medium carb., easy drinking, with a clean and tasty finish.

Wish I could have had this available back in the day, tasty lager beer that is a cut above the regular BMC fare. (582 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: Excellent copper brown. Is this really an adjunct? Very thin layer of lacing that is slightly off-white.

Smell: Caramel and slight fruit notes. Some berries or apple cider maybe.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very grassy in the head. Some fruity caramel malt follows. Finishes with more dry grass. Light-slightly medium body with nice crispness. Excellent dryness.

Overall: I'll be damned. Easily my favorite Coors product. This beer should stirs up nostalgic images of rugged, blue collar lunch breaks at the steel mill. I will be getting this again. (553 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is a great "anytime" beer. Though it has a slight "skunky" smell to it, its taste does not reflect that.

It is pretty highly carbonated and it's mouthfeel is light and thin. Upon a sip, the immediate flavor is sharp and slightly hoppy - almost a copper-flavored hop. It remains bitter from start to finish, but the flavor smooths through a hint of grassiness and ends on a grainy wheat flavor - which happens to be an attribute of most of my favorite beers.

Like another reviewer said, I think many people are rating this lower than it deserves simply because it is made by Coors. Of generic, run of the mill, canned beers, Coors ranks low for me. Maybe just about Natty Ice. This doesn't even taste reminiscent of typical Coors and it is worth a shot. I definitely stand with the Brothers rather than user average on this one. (841 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +12%

Bought in a mixed six pack chilled at a grocer and poured chilled into a Perfect Pint.

A=Very nice...darker golden amber color with ample white frothy head.

S=Faint bread smell with hint of corn and sweetness.

T=Nice malt presence with the first sip...flavor is present, but a bit lighter than I anticipated. A hint of hops...I am thinking that this might be an all-malt, or very close to it, but there is a hint of sweetness.

M=Excellent body with just the right amount (medium-light) carbonation.

O=I have another bottle to try, but, after first sample, I would definitely consider again. I prefer the robustness of an amber a bit more, but this would be my first choice if buying a lager for friends.

3/13 update...had served on tap at a local bar...was not nearly as good as I remembered it...I would have given it a 3 this time, so I am changing my taste to the average, or 3.5. (889 characters)

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company