Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Reviews: 236 | Hads: 1,253
3.67/5  rDev +7%

Look: A slight amount of sediment on the bottom of bottle, could be cold break, very clear, golden color with a slight amber hint to it. Not a very strong head, and faded away quickly. Looks about a 4 SRM.

Smell: initial malt, slight corn, very low hops,

Taste: stronger malt than a normal light american lager, balanced nicely with light bitterness. slight corn profile on the back of the tongue enhanced by the carbonation's acidity.

Feel: slight creaminess through out tongue, and carbonation is well balanced. initially slick and then very dry.

Overall: definitively better than their normal lager, and falls well into the light american lager profile with slightly more malt. Overall not a bad beer. I'd use it to convert friends from crap beer to craft.

2.89/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Coors Batch 19.

A gift from my long time drinking buddy Nick who I am slowly converting into the craft scene. I guess this supposed fancier than most lager is his way of telling me he is learning? who the hell knows. I've wanted to try this one oddly enough but $9.99 for a sixer of adjunct lager simply wasn't a trigger I would pull. Anyway, enough talking, let's see what we get.

Look - Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. The beer pours an ever so slightly murked yellow with a quarter finger of head that quickly disappears before you can set the glass down to really get a look at it. Dies down to an ever breaking and ever reforming cloud formation amongst the top of the glass. Carbonation is extremely high, probably the highest I have ever seen in a beer which likely lends to the formations I had spoken of. Due to no retained head there will be no lacing. Next category.

Smell - To be quite honest this smells a lot like a bud light platinum and trust me I drank enough of them in my college years to know. Starts off with a chemical twitch followed by a high dosage of corny adjuncts along with white and dark rices. Corn flake cereal and dying hops that don't amount to anything. The malt bill is slightly there. Next category we go!.

Taste - At least the taste somewhat picks up. So far at least. The bread really pulls overtime here so long as the beer is ultra cold. Unfortunately it was able to warm just a bit and the adjuncts began running wild with their rice and corny fullness. BUT, where this beer separates is the bread does come back around here and there and makes it easier to drink. But my opinion of this flavor is that it isn't much different than most adjuncts.

Feel - Tge body is light to a lower level of moderate with a massive dosage of cold, tootg cutting carbonstion. The alcohol actually makes itself know here surprisingly and the beer swallows pretty easily although the chemical aspect noted in the nose comes through in the throat.

Overall - I have no clue what warrants the extra four dollars per four pack over your usual adjunct beers. It tastes much like any other adjunct, maybe a touch more flavorful. I wouldn't buy it myself, especially with much better beers being available in the category at much lower prices..

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I bought this beer as part of a mix and match six pack at a local grocery store. Being a person interested in what Americans drank before the Volstead Act I was intrigued by something describing itself as a pre-prohition lager. Had I been careful enough to see that it is a Coors product, I wouldn't have bought it.

The beer's head is not all that impressive in that it doesn't develop into a fluffy dense layer of foam. It does however linger nicely, which may very well be the way that late 19th and early 20th century beers were.

The aroma of this brew is pretty hoppy. Not being a big fans of hoppy beers I found this the biggest drawback.

The flavor is pretty mild, and not nearly as hoppy as the aroma. This one would make a nice session beer.

The feel is okay, their really isn't much body.

Overall I think its an acceptable beer for what it is supposed to be. I might have had a more substantive experience with this beer had I been more informed on what pre-prohibition beers were really like. As I don't like purveyors of the watery crap that has given US beers a bad name I won't be buying this one again.

2.81/5  rDev -18.1%

Brilliantly clear. Golden. 1 inch creamy head that persisted. Dusty-funky notes on the palate. Did not linger long, but thirst quenching. Decent Belgian lace.

3.52/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer which I sampled at the Miller Brewery in Milwaukee WI. I haven't been impressed with American style lagers thinking they were pretty week and bland. Batch 19 had a nice taste and would have gladly had a second cup if I wasn't already at my limit of three samples. :)

1.85/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

i'm very surprised at the high ratings for this beer. there's virtually no smell, it's taste is very bland and watered down. i'd rather drink coors banquet anyday.

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

Very shocked here. After pour smell and look, was unimpressed. Upon mouthfeel, also unimpressed. As it finishes, you are exposed to a great ambush of flavor/hops, which makes this a VERY enjoyable beer. Go to beer for me.

2.96/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful brown and copper color with a ton of carbonation and a head that clinger to the edges of my glass forever. Very good wheat smell. Taste is not very good. It's super fizzy and tastes like tree bark.

2.24/5  rDev -34.7%

August 22nd, 2013 - Is Coors Batch 19 a clumsy appeal to craft beer drinkers? Or something else? I'm going with "something else". While the color is a nice basset hound brown, the smell and taste give very little for the picky, internet crusading beer reviewer to go on. The aroma is generically sweet and nutty, like peanuts, but tainted with an off-putting urine smell. This face-wrenching note also appears in the aftertaste, after a sweeter gulp of the peanut flavored sugars and a very, very busy carbonation. This beer was left on the tasting room table for either a waiter or a drinker far more desperate for a sip than me.

4.04/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful brownish gold color with a white head that barely lingers.

Smell: Smells clean with a heavy malt flavor. There is no off smell from the adjunct grains. Very light hops but that is expected from the noble hops used.

Taste: A solid malt beer with a hint of hops. A lot better than most lagers from the major breweries.

Mouthfeel: A light beer which is expected from a lager.

Overall: This is a winner from Coors.

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Look: Dark Golden/Brown. Doesn't look like any adjunct I've seen in a long time.
Smell: Smells more like a Sam Adams Boston Lager than an adjunct. I'm expecting a bitter taste based on smell and look.
Taste: OK. I was wrong. Not really that bitter at all, but it is there a very little in the aftertaste.
Feel: A little more body than a regular adjunct but not heavy or gritty.
Overall: I've been drinking beer for about 35 years and I think I know why people like this beer. It tastes like American beer did 35 years ago, before the macro brewers watered down what was already an adjunct beer. It tastes like an old school American Beer before rice and corn totally replaced malt and hops. I serious doubt this tastes like pre-prohibition beer, more like the late 70's, early 80's beer I grew up on.

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12 Fl. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

It is amber in color and clear. It is topped with less than an inch of white head that leaves no lacing.

I get some caramel notes and grain.

The taste seems to be more grain focused. There is a slight bitterness in the finish.

Pretty thin mouthfeel

Not a horrible beer from Coors. Of the big three Coors seems to produce the most drinkable beers, aside from their light beer.

2.93/5  rDev -14.6%

Reviewed 1-23-2015. Threshold beer glass. Bottle dated Feb. 9-2015.

Appearance: Pours a crystal-clear dark gold/light amber. Foamy, off-white head. VERY LITTLE carbonation. Retains a thin whitish film of a head. Some spotty lacing on the glass. Nice bottle with a twist-off cap.

Aroma: "Beery" Smells like an AAL. Smells like Coors [Banquet], actually (not like Dortmunder Gold which is what I expected). Pretty plain.

Taste: Not bad; very German. Clean, dry arrival. Malty mid-palate. Sweetening toward end. Than a malty and lightly bitter finish. A touch on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of mid-weight. Slightly slick (odd for a lager). More carbonation than expected from the appearance.

Overall: Certainly, no one will disapprove if you bring this to a barbecue in the fall. It is a bit sweet, though clearly German hopping. Not as roasty as Eliot Ness; sweeter than Sam Adams; WAY sweeter than Dortmunder Gold. Nice for a change, but a bit Blah. Perhaps would be better in warmer weather.

2.91/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Well - had to try this, it was all the pub had that I hadn’t already tried. Pours a clear golden amber with a fluffy and fine-bubbled wheat head. Have to give the big brews credit, they know how to make their pseudo-craft brews look. Strongly fruity and rather sweet aroma has a malty undertone. Flavor, though, is quite good - malty, fruity and hoppy, rather toothsome. Body is about average, though there is decent fizz. Coors, you’re not fooling anybody - but your Batch 19 is at least superior to your other stuff. Gotta give the devil his due. ;)

3.26/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2/28 Bottle - Decent malt smell, OK but not a very strong taste or feel, and very light to drink. I prefer stronger beers and tastes, but this was a decent beer for what it is.

3.13/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I was surprised to see it was a product of Coors. Good balance of hops and malt sugars to keep it mild and not too sweet nor bitter. Almost a wheaty soapy colored head that dyed quickly , I wasn't overall fond of. After smelling a slight nutty aroma from the brew, I enjoyed the beer with some slow cooked pulled pork and it coincided with the dinner just fine. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

All in all not a bad beer. Definitely above average in its category. Look is a bit darker than others, smell is average, and taster a bit above. Liken it to a Yuengling, which is a good thing.

3.98/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really wanted to dislike this beer but it is surprisingly good. It pours brilliant gold with a pure white 1” foam cap with masses of tiny bubbles that produce excellent lace. Has a clean, light malt, spicy herbal nose with a hint of earthiness and a light touch of grainy spice. The initial palate suggests light fruit – hints of apple but this soon hides behind rich grain and light malt with a crisp bitter emphasis on the finish with a faint lingering hint of anise from the hops. Medium light body and above average carbonation – seltzery but surprisingly drinkable.

3.28/5  rDev -4.4%

Clear golden color with a moderate foamy white head that hangs around a while and leaves some decent lacing.

The aroma is light, sweet malt and hints of citrus and grass.

The taste is The taste is similar with a nice hops/malt balance.

Light bodied but more substantial than most Coors products, very drinkable. Certainly a decent warm weather brew.

Altogether a pretty decent lager and better than expected.

3.61/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty darn good for an AAL. It plays Goldilocks very well. A tad sweet, but not too sweet. A little hops, but no burn.
It is what it is. (don't you hate it when people say that?). This is a big step forward for Coors, but I'd still like to see something with a better right hook.
P.S. Get this where you can build your own six pack because it's laughably expensive on it's own.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

I enjoyed this beer. It is hoppy enough, and it has some citrus undertones. I was very surprised to find out it was brewed by Coors. I will be being this one again.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Was surprised to find that this beer was quite good.

Nothing mind blowing, just a crisp, easy drinking golden lager that tastes like it has actual malt in it, with a very pleasing hop finish.

Don't let the brewer put you off, this is sneaky good.

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle, poured into glass for appearance

Appearance (3) : Medium body, fairly transparent. Can't quite read words through it but can make out most clear images. Copper-Honey colored. Minimal lacing that hangs around.

Smell (2.5) : Some sour malts, wet cement, kale, flowers. Powerful copper. Smells a bit like an amber lager. A pungent and sweet nose with quite a bit of sour. Interesting, nonetheless.

Taste (3) : A pinch too bitter for me (eye twitching, even...), but has some good robust flavor. It's quasi-Fat Tire but I'd definitely say it's better as the hops aren't as harsh and Batch 19 has a better flavor overall.

I'm getting aged wheat, lots and lots of malt, bitter tomato and rye notes, some sour mash, and a bit of leafy greens. Coppery dry finish. A bit like a much improved Busch Copper Lager (which is pretty abysmal). Impressive flavor - and really, that's all you can say about it...and it gets old fast.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : a great balance, both in hops/malt and in carbonation. Medium bodied. The carbonation is dull in a good way to accentuate the flavors and is not over the top.

Overall (3.03) : Not a bad lager. Again it's much like an amber and if you like Fat Tire, you'll love this beer as in my opinion, it is slightly better. Coors did a good job with this one, and I'm not quite sure what "pre-Prohibition" is completely about, but it's a decent beer nonetheless. Flavor is there, and in spades. Its just not my favorite style of flavor. This is a perfect example of me not liking a beer but respecting it for what it is about and the flavors it presents. This ain't your typical AAL. This is more along the lines of a copper lager or a harsh amber red.

1.5/5  rDev -56.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Ugh, not good. Not good at all. It took a lot to stomach this one. I give it a 1.5 instead of a 1, only because I was able to finish it without drain pouring. Although it was close. If this is supposed to mimic the style of a pre-prohibition lager, then I am very glad we have moved beyond that time period. Otherwise I probably would not be a beer drinker if this is how they all tasted.

Will not seek out or purchase again. Won't even drink it if offered.

1.62/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

On draft at Miller Park. Brewers vs. Nationals. Great seats right behind first base.

The beer is hazy and light brown with a half inch of light khaki head. The aroma is adjunct sweetness, sweet caramel malt. Smells macro all the way. The taste is just shitty. There's really no other way to say it. I try to rate to style, and I don't expect an adjunct lager to have the complexity of a gueze or big imperial stout. That said, this beer tastes like syrup, artificial sweeteners, fake fruity crap. There is no integrity in this product. This beer was designed for commercial purposes only. Gross on so many levels. Avoid.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company