Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,231 | Reviews: 240
2.52/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a tapered pilsner glass.

A-Pours a golden color, minimal head, no lacing. There's plenty of lively carbonation (the best part of its appearance). Truthfully, this beer looks dirty.

S- Very grainy, stale. There is some note of a sweet candy but it is made up of smells that are just hard to get past the nose.

T- Grassy, wet grains, some caramel malt sweets...at best.

M- Watery, well carbonated. Sour finish.

O- It looks, smells, and tastes dirty. Were there no sanitation standards pre-prohibition? There is nothing good about this beer, and I am being polite and kind.

4.87/5  rDev +46.2%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color with a thin white head, good amount of carbonation.

Smell: Sweet, sugars, rice, malts, and some hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Light to medium bodied and very smooth. Taste sweet with hints of malts, rice and hops. Little bit of alcohol maybe.

Overall: Exceptional adjunct lager! I certainly was not expecting it to be that good, but I enjoyed every drop of that pint. If you see it, try it!

4.11/5  rDev +23.4%

This one was crystal clear and had a brownish/golden hue to it, mild carbonation and it was topped off with an off white head that quickly thinned out into a small congregation of bubbles. It did have some mild lacing. Overall, this beer looked nice and inviting. The aroma was a bit thin, some roasted wheat mixed in with roasted hops came through, but I couldn’t pick up much else. The taste was really good, smooth throughout and a mild hops flavor dominated the beer, some mild citrus flavors like orange zest are present. Bitter all around but the bitterness isn’t overwhelming. The aftertaste has a mild hoppy and alcohol taste but it’s easy to swallow. By the way, this beer has a light-to-medium mouth feel. Overall not bad, I personally wouldn’t buy this one on a regular basis, but I do have to say you’ve got to try this one.

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I can't believe my 400th review is a Coors product. A friend of mind had a few bottles of this in his fridge during a recent visit and encouraged me to take one home and try it. I'm glad I did. Not so much because it's a great beer, because it's not, but because I always enjoy trying new beers.

Nothing special in appearance, but not a thin weakly looking beer either. Amber straw color with little lace. The nose reeks of adjunct malt, but whatever. It's not offensive. It is what I thought it would be. The taste, however, is not too terribly bad. It's not great, or even all that good, but I've had far worse. Kinda funky tasting, but I blame the Coors beer yeast for that. Mouthfeel is actually worthwhile. Not too thin, and decently smooth.

On the whole, this is not a very good beer. But it's not the worst beer I've ever reviewed either. Not worthy of my 400th review, but whatever. I don't regret any of the 400 beers I've had en route to this moment. No reason to start now.

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A-pours a soft yellow
with sudsy head with average retention
S-corn/grains, hint of grassy hops
T-more adjunct corn flavor with a bit of sweet grain quickly vut off by grassy hop bitterness
M-light bodied
O-not bad coming from coors, more flavor than the traditional adjunct lager and very drinkable. I wouldnt want it all the time but certainly beats the even more bland macros out there

3.81/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Super light amber/copper
body. White head that leaves almost as quickly as it appeared.

A- Light corn and grain. Faint hop aroma.

T- Initially nice and sweet, but there is a bitterness that comes through. Finishes nice and crisp. Lightly phenolic.

M- Light body moderate carbonation.

D- My first experience with this beer was a bar in Golden, CO. I thought it was a great beer to pair with a meal when your selection is limited. I recently picked it up in bottles and think it is still a pretty great beer. I prematurely told a few people it was Coors and could see the bias change as they found out.

3.57/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a glass, served at fridge temp.

handsome hue of amber with a solid thick offwhite head, nice lacing.

aroma of floral hops.

mouthfeel; yep.

flavor; malty without any adjuncts that I could perceive, spicy, grassy hoppiness that is balanced against the crystal malt with a slight spicy finish.

so this is a Coors product. first time I've ever bought one. it was an impulse buy at Wegmans. To be honest, it's not bad. could be a lawnmower beer for sure.

3.79/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving: Bottle into pint glass
Served: January 2013

Going from memory here.

Appearance: Like your standard AAL- light, golden yellow; crystal clear; nice carbonation strings visible. A white head that sticks around longer than other beers of the style. Looks pretty tasty.

Smell: This is the one place where I think this beer could use some improvement. You obviously have the bready-sweet notes from the adjuncts in there, but they actually seem to clash a bit with the hops in there too. You can smell both and they don't really seem complimentary in this one- they seem competitive.

Taste: For an AAL this one is loaded with flavor. You can taste the light, bready notes from the malt, and the sweetness from the corn adds a touch of lightness to it. You can taste some nice hop notes in this one, compared to others in the style. I really like how this one tastes. It's easily the best AAL, in terms of taste, that I've had.

Mouthfeel: Light and spritzy, just like you'd expect.

Overall: This beer gets trashed for being a MillerCoors product, but honestly, this is a great beer. I don't care if A Brewer Who Shall Not Be Named makes it- they make a great interpretation of the style and should continue to do so. A refreshing drink with considerable more flavor that other beers of its family. I honestly believe that people rate this beer lower based on who makes it, and that in a blind taste test, this one would compete admirably with other of the best AALs.

3.92/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This review was based on the beer within its style that is why it is higher than it would be if I were comparing it to craft beers.

A-Dark gold with thick off white head that lasts longer than expected and leaves some decent lacing

S-very muted, but kind of musty and generic

T-Malty with a hint of hops-it seems kind of soapy and slightly musty

M-very thick for the style and not as much carbonation as usual which is great

D-very drinkable beer indeed

Overall, this is considerably better than your typical American Adjunct Lager. Its much more flavorful and fuller bodied. You could definitely do worse.

3.52/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured a golden red yellow with a white head that didn't leave much lacing. A nice color for what I would consider a light beer.

Smells pretty good! Might be something like a pbr with a touch more grain bill and some hops in there. This one is definitely different from the usual Coors offering!

Taste was nice, its as if they took a regular american adjunct lager and actually used a good amount grains and hops. In other words, this one doesn't taste like water... I really want to introduce my bud light only brother to this one. Perhaps it could be an easier gateway beer into more craft.

mouthfeel to me was a little too carbonated. If it were only creamier feeling I would have given it a better score.

Overall, I am enjoying this one. If I do see this on tap I might grab it at some point. It reminds me of times gone by.

3.03/5  rDev -9%

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle, poured into glass for appearance

Appearance (3) : Medium body, fairly transparent. Can't quite read words through it but can make out most clear images. Copper-Honey colored. Minimal lacing that hangs around.

Smell (2.5) : Some sour malts, wet cement, kale, flowers. Powerful copper. Smells a bit like an amber lager. A pungent and sweet nose with quite a bit of sour. Interesting, nonetheless.

Taste (3) : A pinch too bitter for me (eye twitching, even...), but has some good robust flavor. It's quasi-Fat Tire but I'd definitely say it's better as the hops aren't as harsh and Batch 19 has a better flavor overall.

I'm getting aged wheat, lots and lots of malt, bitter tomato and rye notes, some sour mash, and a bit of leafy greens. Coppery dry finish. A bit like a much improved Busch Copper Lager (which is pretty abysmal). Impressive flavor - and really, that's all you can say about it...and it gets old fast.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : a great balance, both in hops/malt and in carbonation. Medium bodied. The carbonation is dull in a good way to accentuate the flavors and is not over the top.

Overall (3.03) : Not a bad lager. Again it's much like an amber and if you like Fat Tire, you'll love this beer as in my opinion, it is slightly better. Coors did a good job with this one, and I'm not quite sure what "pre-Prohibition" is completely about, but it's a decent beer nonetheless. Flavor is there, and in spades. Its just not my favorite style of flavor. This is a perfect example of me not liking a beer but respecting it for what it is about and the flavors it presents. This ain't your typical AAL. This is more along the lines of a copper lager or a harsh amber red.

3.06/5  rDev -8.1%

The beer pours brilliantly clear deep golden bordering on copper color with a thick white head that diminished to a thin skim yet left bits of lacing. A good looking beer. The aroma is moderate sweet malt, rather grainy, perhaps a hint of grassy hops. The flavor is medium-high grainy malt, a bit of spicy hop flavor and the finish is dry and crisp, with just a bit of sweet malt reemerging. The body is medium-light with medium-high carbonation. Overall this is a solid beer, in the pre-prohibition style I've had better, but worth picking up at least a single.

3.63/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Macro swill disguised as craft or something more? Let's give it a whirl.

A: Fairly aggressive pour. Faint orange/copper hue. Excellent clarity. Vigorous carbonation. Two fingers cappuccino foam colored head. Moderate dissipation. Moderate lacing. Intrigued by the color.

S: Ah. Adjunct. Or at least some adjunct smells. Faint hop presence, almost like cooked veggies. Not quite to the level of Euro Pales, but in a similar vein. Nice caramel malts, touch of honey, bit of corn husk, slightly metallic.

T: Nice bit of malty sweetness up front, with a nice, dry hoppiness that cuts through. Again, borderline vegetal, but the hops are very present here. Reminds me of the pre-Gusto Shclitz. Corn flakes/dough in the finish.

M: A little softer in the palate than pretty much any AAL I've ever had. The carbonation isn't so bracing or seltzer like.

O: A hoppier and fuller bodied AAL? Unfortunately, this falls in the same price range as Sierra Nevada beers where I live, so I'll probably never buy it again. Make it as cheap as regular Coors and I've got a new go to. A much better swing towards quality than Shocktop or the like.

4.11/5  rDev +23.4%

Appearance - Deep gold with maybe a little red. Clear. About a half inch of foamy white head. Fairly persistent.

Smell - Pale malt. Pretty standard for an adjunct lager, maybe a little stronger than most.

Taste - This actually has a very appealing flavor. Mainly sweet, light malt, but with a tasty hit of caramel. Citrusy hops noticeable in the finish, but not prominent per style.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp.

Overall - This beer stands out among its american lager peers. Light and refreshing, but flavorful and appealing. How can it come from Coors?

3.95/5  rDev +18.6%

Batch 19 brewed by Coors Brewing Company with an ABV of 5.5% This brew pours out a dark amber color with a white head. Batch 19 is an filtered brew, you can see right though it. The smell is rich with grains and some hops. This is how an American Style Lager should be. So far so good. The taste is rich and good. Batch 19 has a nice smoothness and a rich after taste. This brew has a nice balance to it. There is nothing bad about this brew. Mouthfeel is nice and clean. I really like this brew. This has to be one of the best Coors products I've had. Overall I'm giving Batch 19 a 4.5 out 5. I will buy this brew again
Coors did a real nice job with this brew.

3.79/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: pours a 1 1/2" sudsy off white head that recedes slowly. Some light lacing. Dark golden color with significant carbonation present.
Aroma: toasted malt, caramel, clean water, a hint of earthy hops.
Mouthfeel: light and watery with a dry finish.
Flavor: pleasant combination of sweet caramel, toasted bread, and some definite floral and hop bite flavor with a lingering bitterness.
Overall: very nice lager, well balanced between bitter and sweet.

3.74/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a deep golden, looks a little fuller than your standard domestic, yields about 2 fingers of white pilsner foam from a hard pour. Decent retention, and surprising lacing on the glass.

S - Touch of a pilsner honey scent, mild grain scent. Mostly smells like a sweet, malty pale lager.

T - Sweet malts up front, honey notes and slight grain presence. Reminds me of a pilsner in a lot of ways, but thicker than I expected. Pleasantly surprised by how good this is, think sweet pilsner with a thicker body.

M - Lager body, but with a little more presence than your standard light lager. Thick enough to be interesting, but still potentially refreshing. Better than anything alse I've had by coors.

O - I would drink this again. A nice attempt by the big boys to bring something with substance out of the woodwork. Still, it's been done better before by better breweries that need the attention.

3.8/5  rDev +14.1%

I had no idea this was a Coors product when I bought it so my perception of it was totally unbiased. Pours a coppery amber color with a decent frothy head. Aroma is subtle grain - mellow. Taste is malty with a decent hops tinge, and a bit of a peppery overtone. I don't know if they used adjuncts in this beer, I don't taste them but if they did, they were used very well. I think this is a pretty tasty beer and I would buy it again, one of the better lagers I've had actually.

2.19/5  rDev -34.2%

12 fl oz bottle served in a pilsner glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a transparent, dark gold color with a white two finger head. Retention is poor. Better looking than I expected, but still nothing special.

S - Mild, mild aroma. Some sweet pale malt and caramel is about all I get off this one. Disappointing to say the least.

T - Unrefined barley, stale cereal and a bit of oddly placed cream. It's a little more bitter on the finish from the generic hops, but this is the only thing that really differentiates this one from standard Coors. It's simple, uninspired, and in my opinion, just a marketing ploy.

M - Medium bodied, smooth, and strangely thick. It's o.k. at best.

D - Not a fan of this one. There's hardly anything that sets this apart from your everyday Coors. If you like the original, though, you won't be disappointed with this.

3.45/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a twisty into a schooner. A moderate pour (accelerated at the end) produces about 1/2 inch of snow-white foam that recedes almost immediately but sticks around to produce momentary swells of surf around the edges of the glass. The beer is lightly effervescent and a pale reddish-straw color- noticeably darker with less yellow than typical macrobrew.

My poor nose detects a noticeable beer aroma, which can't be said for certain nameless brands run amok...You can definitely taste some hops here- the slightly earthy bitter you might expect along with some mildly floral qualities suggestive of (??) and maybe even a tinge of grapefruit and canned oj (yummy). The mouthfeel combines with a pleasantly malty-citrusy aftertaste.

I'm wanting to compare this to other "retro-brews", or attempts thereof, and am definitely interested in how this recipe was conceived or discovered. It definitely has some hop flavor, beyond a mere kiss, and reminds me a bit of some "retro" styles out there, such as Olympia, Grain Belt, Schlitz, and regular ol' Coors.

4.15/5  rDev +24.6%

Recently had on tap served in a tall 22 oz glass. This outing was the first I had heard of this beer, and though it is made by Coors, I was curious to try their take on a pre-prohibition lager (especially after seeing the positives reviews on here).

The appearance is noticeably darker and richer than the standard American light lager. There's more of a golden, light caramel character to the look. The smell is nice, with noble hops and clean malt coming through. Very full and beer-y, for lack of a better term. The taste is similarly nice. Clean lager yeast and a bit of corn, but still good malt and an earthy, noble hop finish. Mouthfeel was nicely fuller than a light lager.

Overall I quite enjoyed this beer and would gladly drink it often, especially in the summer, I think.

2.12/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Ba Review #282
Served On: 06/29/2013
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: 5.5%
Date/ Code: -

This was a bottle from a sixer I picked up at the Red Roase bar in Hellam, PA.

Look: A clear watery straw consistency with no real color profile. This beer could probably define the word ‘pale’. The head was just a thin coating of white haze. There was some noticeable lacing when I tipped the glass.

Smell: Surprisingly no real skunk in the aroma. Besides that, not much of a nose. Sweet grainy corn and rice with a solvent chariter.

Taste: At first I got a crisp refreshing sensation followed by some metallic and corn notes. After about four sips it started tasting like water with a terrible dry metallic aftertaste. It was the same aftertaste I get with Yuengling Traditional Lager (which this probably could pass for if they added caramel coloring like Yuengling does).

I think the quality of this beer is relative to the situation. In my case it was the better of multiple evils, and it was hot out. If I were to have this beer at a bar or restaurant, it would certainly be a lot worse.

4.17/5  rDev +25.2%

On tap at Chops Steakhouse Sacramento

I like the marketing. Cool tap handle. Like the throwback theme

Strong jump on the palate from the start. American strong ale feelings
Malty. Apricot. Almost cloying. Tasty. Strong herbal flavors in the middle. Oily.

Becomes crisp at the end. Lingering grassy hops.

This is an excellent adjunct lager. After finding out this was Coors I was very surprised. nice job.

1.5/5  rDev -55%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Ugh, not good. Not good at all. It took a lot to stomach this one. I give it a 1.5 instead of a 1, only because I was able to finish it without drain pouring. Although it was close. If this is supposed to mimic the style of a pre-prohibition lager, then I am very glad we have moved beyond that time period. Otherwise I probably would not be a beer drinker if this is how they all tasted.

Will not seek out or purchase again. Won't even drink it if offered.

4.02/5  rDev +20.7%

A standard pour of Coors' Batch 19 Lager yields a semi-viscous snow-white foam atop a golden-amber body. The flurry of medium-sized bubbles that exploded in the glass just after the initial pour quickly turns into a steady sheet of champagne-like army of tiny bubbles, equidistantly spaced, that race towards the top.

The nose is delightful. Moist hay, green apple cider, and elderflower spring to mind.

The taste follows the nose to a tee. The sour flavor of fermented green apples dominates. The bitter aromatics of elderflower and lavender emerge in the back end and are sustained throughout the beer's surprisingly long hang.

The value of a beer's mouthfeel is typically determined by considering the way in which it complements the beer's flavor. This is true here, too: the beer is light on the palate and allows its crisp, tart flavors of green apple to shine. But quick whirl around the tongue tosses up some of the frothiest, most pleasing foam my tongue has touched in a long time. Yes. That's what I call nearly perfect.

Coors' Batch 19 is the American macro-brewery's attempt to cash in on the recent explosion of craft brewing in the US. I purchased this bottle expecting not to like it. What a surprise. No. What a shock! For the first time, I'm nostalgic for the 19th century and looking forward to trying more of these "pre-prohibition" beers, which have been increasingly visible on the craft beer scene of late.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company