Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Jason on 05-04-2010

Reviews: 240 | Ratings: 1,260
4.15/5  rDev +21%

Recently had on tap served in a tall 22 oz glass. This outing was the first I had heard of this beer, and though it is made by Coors, I was curious to try their take on a pre-prohibition lager (especially after seeing the positives reviews on here).

The appearance is noticeably darker and richer than the standard American light lager. There's more of a golden, light caramel character to the look. The smell is nice, with noble hops and clean malt coming through. Very full and beer-y, for lack of a better term. The taste is similarly nice. Clean lager yeast and a bit of corn, but still good malt and an earthy, noble hop finish. Mouthfeel was nicely fuller than a light lager.

Overall I quite enjoyed this beer and would gladly drink it often, especially in the summer, I think.

2.12/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Ba Review #282
Served On: 06/29/2013
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: 5.5%
Date/ Code: -

This was a bottle from a sixer I picked up at the Red Roase bar in Hellam, PA.

Look: A clear watery straw consistency with no real color profile. This beer could probably define the word ‘pale’. The head was just a thin coating of white haze. There was some noticeable lacing when I tipped the glass.

Smell: Surprisingly no real skunk in the aroma. Besides that, not much of a nose. Sweet grainy corn and rice with a solvent chariter.

Taste: At first I got a crisp refreshing sensation followed by some metallic and corn notes. After about four sips it started tasting like water with a terrible dry metallic aftertaste. It was the same aftertaste I get with Yuengling Traditional Lager (which this probably could pass for if they added caramel coloring like Yuengling does).

I think the quality of this beer is relative to the situation. In my case it was the better of multiple evils, and it was hot out. If I were to have this beer at a bar or restaurant, it would certainly be a lot worse.

4.17/5  rDev +21.6%

On tap at Chops Steakhouse Sacramento

I like the marketing. Cool tap handle. Like the throwback theme

Strong jump on the palate from the start. American strong ale feelings
Malty. Apricot. Almost cloying. Tasty. Strong herbal flavors in the middle. Oily.

Becomes crisp at the end. Lingering grassy hops.

This is an excellent adjunct lager. After finding out this was Coors I was very surprised. nice job.

3.91/5  rDev +14%

Bought in a mixed six pack chilled at a grocer and poured chilled into a Perfect Pint.

A=Very nice...darker golden amber color with ample white frothy head.

S=Faint bread smell with hint of corn and sweetness.

T=Nice malt presence with the first sip...flavor is present, but a bit lighter than I anticipated. A hint of hops...I am thinking that this might be an all-malt, or very close to it, but there is a hint of sweetness.

M=Excellent body with just the right amount (medium-light) carbonation.

O=I have another bottle to try, but, after first sample, I would definitely consider again. I prefer the robustness of an amber a bit more, but this would be my first choice if buying a lager for friends.

3/13 update...had served on tap at a local bar...was not nearly as good as I remembered it...I would have given it a 3 this time, so I am changing my taste to the average, or 3.5.

3.61/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty darn good for an AAL. It plays Goldilocks very well. A tad sweet, but not too sweet. A little hops, but no burn.
It is what it is. (don't you hate it when people say that?). This is a big step forward for Coors, but I'd still like to see something with a better right hook.
P.S. Get this where you can build your own six pack because it's laughably expensive on it's own.

3.89/5  rDev +13.4%

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company, the "pre-Prohibition style lager". Potentially a gimmick, I'll see and taste for myself. Poured from the unique bottle into a glass, Batch 19 has a 1.5 finger head with nearly solid lacing. I give the appearance a 4 because the amber displayed here is just stunning. Its just PURE amber color. Google image search "amber" and you will see the same color I am. Very great job here!

I can smell pleasant malt sweetness, maybe some other assorted grains as well. Its not very strong smelling but it doesn't require extra effort to notice the components.

Ok, let's take a nice swig: yup, malt sweetness and a GREAT balance of hop bitterness. Also, throughout my experience, I tasted a dash of caramel and perhaps some breadiness if that makes sense. Now THIS is a good entry-level craft lager. Faux craft of not.

Mouthfeel is, yes, outstanding. Here's why : yes this a SLIGHTLY heavier lager than others, but the precise second I felt the minutely bigger weight, it evened out. Leaving me with a clean finish.

Overall a very well deserved 3.75 for Batch 19. I would've gave it a solid 4, but the lack of scent did away with that. This is up there with Dortmunder Gold, as far as I'm concerned. I will definitely buy this brew again!

4.02/5  rDev +17.2%

A standard pour of Coors' Batch 19 Lager yields a semi-viscous snow-white foam atop a golden-amber body. The flurry of medium-sized bubbles that exploded in the glass just after the initial pour quickly turns into a steady sheet of champagne-like army of tiny bubbles, equidistantly spaced, that race towards the top.

The nose is delightful. Moist hay, green apple cider, and elderflower spring to mind.

The taste follows the nose to a tee. The sour flavor of fermented green apples dominates. The bitter aromatics of elderflower and lavender emerge in the back end and are sustained throughout the beer's surprisingly long hang.

The value of a beer's mouthfeel is typically determined by considering the way in which it complements the beer's flavor. This is true here, too: the beer is light on the palate and allows its crisp, tart flavors of green apple to shine. But quick whirl around the tongue tosses up some of the frothiest, most pleasing foam my tongue has touched in a long time. Yes. That's what I call nearly perfect.

Coors' Batch 19 is the American macro-brewery's attempt to cash in on the recent explosion of craft brewing in the US. I purchased this bottle expecting not to like it. What a surprise. No. What a shock! For the first time, I'm nostalgic for the 19th century and looking forward to trying more of these "pre-prohibition" beers, which have been increasingly visible on the craft beer scene of late.

3.58/5  rDev +4.4%

A: pours a crystal clear bronze to gold with a nice off white two finger head.
S: nothing jumps out as its fairly muted. Slight floral notes accompanied by bready aroma. Nothing spectacular.
T: Pleasant surprise. Starts out with some tasty bready malts, slighty sweet. Toward the back, it blends nicely with some bitter flavors that I can't quite place..not floral not citrus, but tasty.
M: medium bodied and a brilliant creaminess. Has a bit of a crispness to it and finishes dry with a slighty bitter but flavorful after taste.
O: call a spade a spade...its coors, but its tasty. I like the story and mystiq that comes along with this brew, but most of all, its just a good beer. Perhaps a brew to introduce other to the world of craft. Highly sessionable. Tip of the hat to Coors.

2.93/5  rDev -14.6%

Reviewed 1-23-2015. Threshold beer glass. Bottle dated Feb. 9-2015.

Appearance: Pours a crystal-clear dark gold/light amber. Foamy, off-white head. VERY LITTLE carbonation. Retains a thin whitish film of a head. Some spotty lacing on the glass. Nice bottle with a twist-off cap.

Aroma: "Beery" Smells like an AAL. Smells like Coors [Banquet], actually (not like Dortmunder Gold which is what I expected). Pretty plain.

Taste: Not bad; very German. Clean, dry arrival. Malty mid-palate. Sweetening toward end. Than a malty and lightly bitter finish. A touch on the sweet side.

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of mid-weight. Slightly slick (odd for a lager). More carbonation than expected from the appearance.

Overall: Certainly, no one will disapprove if you bring this to a barbecue in the fall. It is a bit sweet, though clearly German hopping. Not as roasty as Eliot Ness; sweeter than Sam Adams; WAY sweeter than Dortmunder Gold. Nice for a change, but a bit Blah. Perhaps would be better in warmer weather.

3.57/5  rDev +4.1%

Prohibition was instituted with ratification of the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution on January 16, 1919, which prohibited the "...manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States...

Coors Archive Brewing Company introduces Batch 19, a per-Prohibition style lager, based on authentic recipes dating back to before all alcohol was banned. Batch 19 pours a golden-amber with a slim, light off-white head and a decent amount of lacing. A slight, yet malty nose is joined with somewhat surprising citrus hop notes. a semi-sweet malt profile meets the pallet before being balanced out by slightly spicy hop characteristics, all before leading into a crisp, clean finish. The beer is medium body with a lighter amount of carbonation. Thankfully Prohibition didn't last, but we believe Batch 19 will!

2.96/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful brown and copper color with a ton of carbonation and a head that clinger to the edges of my glass forever. Very good wheat smell. Taste is not very good. It's super fizzy and tastes like tree bark.

3.36/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Batch 19 claims to be a pre-prohibition style lager, I guess that means it actually an amber.

The brews got a bold flavor and good presence, but lacks it a memorable pour of odor. I was overall happy with its taste, but am not of the opinion that it is one of the better ambers I've had.

Pours a standard one finger head, the head is almost pure white, maybe slightly off white, it is puttering away fairly fast, it's not a bad head though, from what I can tell from the head that has stuck around, it's good, decent lacing. The body is traditionally darker than a standard lager, it's a very unique color, almost a 50/50 mix between golden/yellow, and amber, I've never seen a beer like this before. For the most part this beer is transparent, but it is dark enough that it objects your view just a little bit. Overall....the head went away fast, but it left good foam and lacing, the body is mostly see through, but it's a really unique color, so overall the look is confusing - unique, bad in some areas, good in others, final conclusion - it looks good. Very good aroma, perfect balance between hops and malts, at least in terms of lagers. The malts come through first, and they are very sweet smelling, but not an offensive or overpowering sweet, it smells just right. Then the hops come through the smell a little bit in the second half of the aroma. Overall I would like the smell to be bigger, but I can't ask much more from Coors and an adjunct lager. Considering everything - this smells really good. Maybe a tiny bit of cheap adjuncts, but not really at all, maybe some honey in here in fact, which would be very nice, anyways, I'm ranting, like I said - good smell. The taste is very interesting, the first thing I get is malt, sweet malt, but like I thought on the smell, it's not offensive, it works with the beer very well. Then comes a nice hop bite, very small, but very noticeable as well. I do notice a nice honey flavor appearing in a few different places in this beer. Overall it's a very smooth, drinkable, tasty beer. The flavor isn't huge, but it really shouldn't be for the style. Overall it tastes really good. Mouthfeel is very good for a lager, not too much carbonation, it's just right, and it's not too watery in the mouth. Drinkability is very high, cause it's light and very tasty. Overall there really isn't anything wrong with this beer, is it outstanding? No, but it's very tasty and pretty dang good. I can't believe how high I rated this beer, considering it's made by Coors, but by gosh it deserves it.

3.26/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2/28 Bottle - Decent malt smell, OK but not a very strong taste or feel, and very light to drink. I prefer stronger beers and tastes, but this was a decent beer for what it is.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

I can't believe I like a beer made by Coors. That's not a prejudice statement towards the big 3, I just honestly don't like beers made by Coors.

This is a nice color to match a grade A honey or light maple syrup. Clear and free of imperfections. Good amount of carbon bubbles that feed a lasting white head.

To back up the nice looks is a better smell and taste. Mild in flavors with malts that are faint and hinting. The hops are mild grainy hops. The taste is nice as it sits on your tongue as the sweetness comes and goes and leaves a nice slight bitterness.

Goes down smooth. I'll enjoy a lot of this beer.

1.85/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

i'm very surprised at the high ratings for this beer. there's virtually no smell, it's taste is very bland and watered down. i'd rather drink coors banquet anyday.

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Since I was born 40 years after prohibition started I'll take Coors word for this being a "pre-pro" recipe. If it is true to the time the pre-prohibition years weren't all that bad and prohibition sucked in more ways than just banning alcohol manufacture and sale as it led to even lighter lagers post pro.

A - Poured out a very deep golden color with a 1 finger head that receded into some nice lacing.

S - Malt and cereal with some hop note and subtle fruitiness.

T - Great balance between the malt and hops with a slightly fruity finish.

M - Excellent carbonation level resulted in a rich mouth feel.

O - This is a decent enough beer that I will certainly buy again.

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

Gigantic mug of beer. On tap @ chef Geoffs mcLean VA
A: dark golden to amber w 1/2 finger of light white head carbonation is decent, with a lingering ring of head around the top. Lacing is minimal but present

S:sweet, musky, bready, slight floral presence

T: sweet, grainy, bready, very much like an amber lager. Earthy, Husky, with a nice sweetness but also a floral hop presence that balances it out.

M: light-medium, doesn't taste like water, it had a good carbonation and mouthfeel, finish is more sweet than a normal AAL

O:Damn coors. I never thought I'd find an AAL I liked but you've done it. Not start mass producing this instead of your light beers and you've got a new customer. If this is what an AAL should be then I'm on board. I would certainly purchase a draft or 6 pack of this regularly.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

Beer poured a golden amber/honey color with great clarity and a one-finger mostly white head. The smell is pretty faint. Little malts, little hops, little sours. The taste is solid and well-balanced, a nice blend. Malts and tarts up front and moderate hops and bitterness at the end that linger. The mouthfeel is light/medium with a creamy body. All in all, I enjoyed it. Maybe a little too much. It's neither too heavy, nor too light or watered down. I'd call it a solid session alternative to standard macros. If you're looking to get a buddy away from his Bud Light, Coors Light trend, maybe start him here.

Price: $9.99 for 6/pack

3.5/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

As a craft brew drinker I had my doubts about this beer. However, I will admit this was actually a very drinkable beer. Nice deep golden color with an herbal biscuit aroma. The right balance of hops and malt. Notes of caramel come through in the finish. This one was actually a good all around beer for me. If this is the beer they had during prohibition then the guys who broke the law to carry it have my salute of approval.

2.78/5  rDev -19%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Seemed interesting, I only realized it was COORS when I opened it.
A-Golden yellow, nothing special
S-Smells like a typical Coors beer, metalic
T-Not something to remember
M-Again, standard Coors
O-I was not impressed, the guy at ABC Liquor was very excited, and sold me well, bastard! This is nothing different than the standard Coors crap from Walmart.

3.27/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The missus found this at the Winn-Dixie for me, one she hadn't seen before, and I one had not seen either.

Poured into a pint class. Nice white froth that quickly vanished into the aether. Smells like sweet corn, grassy, not much else going on. Very light amber color. The taste is something between a bitter pilsner and a sweet, somewhat heavy lager. More corn, veggie sweetness up front, but the dry hops kick in on the end, and for me that bitterness is what saves this beer from being a corn-syrupy mess.

At times it reminds be of Coors' Banquet Beer but with more body and sweetness.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

Had this at Dillinger's in Chicago - a bar a few feet from the historic Biography Theatre, the place where John Dillinger was shot. The Blackhawks were playing the Dallas Stars, while DePaul college hipsters were engaged in a game of bar trivia.

It had clear deep gold color with a foamy white head.

S: Unlike many mass produced lagers, which can have metallic corn like smells, this one had a more refined aroma.

T: It was a little different from the normal macro lagers. The hops had more of a presence. I had a slight pale taste that was on the dry side. There was a corn/graininess to the flavor but it was not offensive.

Overall: this had a clean taste, basically it had a refined adjunct lager quality. I wouldn't go looking for this but I am glad I tried it.
I can say this, I would prefer this over many other adjunct lagers. This is one of the better tasting examples of the style.

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance:
Transparent, golden colored body topped with a nice, finger-thick head that hangs around for some time. Carbonation is abundant and lacing is impressive for the style!

Aroma:
Slightly sweet and heavy on wheat notes. A fair bit of malt and light grains. Every now and again, I'll catch some lemon peel.

Taste:
Good! I honestly wasn't expecting much chracter, and I'm happy to report I was wrong. A nice, grainy body with some light cirtus notes. A decent amount of hop presence provides a light, crisp bitter bite. A nice, subtle spice is also noticable - mostly pepper.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy, smooth, and refreshing! Crisp finish leaves you wanting more. Carbonation is off the charts. Light-bodied, this should please many.

Overall:
A pleasant surprise! I had no idea Coors was capable of such a product. Easy to drink and refreshing. Everyone should go into this one with an open mind and prepare to be blown away because it's not just a good beer for a domestic brewery, it's just a good beer period.

2.81/5  rDev -18.1%

Brilliantly clear. Golden. 1 inch creamy head that persisted. Dusty-funky notes on the palate. Did not linger long, but thirst quenching. Decent Belgian lace.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company