Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Batch 19Batch 19

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I remember the first time I bought Batch 19 at my local liquor store. I wasn't too sure what to expect but I'm glad I bought some. Coors outdid themselves when figuring out the brew of Batch 19. Not to mention the bottles are very neat. Near the cap there looks to be a fashioned groove that was most likely an assembly line feature used on beer bottles from then time.
Appearance-wise its a bit darker for a lager but definitely not a dark lager. More of a dark blackish brown color that pours rather smooth.
Smell-wise there's more of a malty bitter smell to it. Not a whole lot going on but it gives a sneak preview to what kind of beer it is.
Taste-wise its very bold, malty, smooth, and just rather tasty. Its nothing like Coors but at the same time I really like it. In my opinion I'd prefer it over a Bud Black Crown which is the prime competitor.
In your mouth its very smooth and solid. Won't kick you in the butt but lets you know its there.
Overall I really like Coors Batch 19. If beer in 1919 was really as tasty as that, I can see why prohibition was in force.

3.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was impressed. It has the characteristic dry malt profile of a macro brew...no sweet lingering on the tongue. But the hops stand out. Reminds me of a lager I once brewed that got too warm and too attenuated. Needed months lagering to smooth it out.

Coors has made a solid beer here. If they can manage to avoid marking it up to craft beer prices, they could find themselves with a new hit. Just a few bucks more than a 12-pack of the Banquet would be perfect. The fancy bottles are nice too...shame they aren't pry-off!

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

3.05/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Crystal clear and pale gold. Nice full white head on top.

S: Somewhat typical of an American lager. There is some nice graininess, perhaps a little dry hay smell, and a touch of soil. There is just the slightest whiff of a grassy and herbal hop smell.

T: Grainy, at first, some light herbal flavors, as well as the dry hay flavor coming in. Not bad, but nothing amazing. There is a hint at hops in the finish.

M: Medium light, the carbonation actually seems a touch low for the style, however I can still feel a little bit of carbonic bite. The finish feels a little more rounded out rather than crisp.

O: Overall I think it is drinkable. It is an interesting departure from their regular beers, that just so happens to taste a lot like all their other beers, albeit slightly better.

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Style Lager pours a light orange color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a touch of spicy hops in the aroma, and sweet maltiness also is noticeable. Fairly good flavor (guess I wasn't expecting that) that starts with a sweet malt flavor and then some spicy hops make themselves noticeable. Much better than a typical macro American Adjunct Lager. The bottle says it is inspired by a pre-prohibition recipe.

4.5/5  rDev +35.1%

3.46/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This is my first review, so let's go.

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Lager

...came for me in a 12 0z bottle, which I took out of a fridge and let sit for around 15 minutes, so I can't give you a proximate temperature, but it was cool to the touch, and if I had to guess, it was 40 degrees or something like that. Within that ballpark.

Poured slowly in to a tall pilsner glass, almost all poured in, about an inch and a half of healthy white head. Thick, soft, foamy, I guess that's most heads. But not like a stout head, so, typical, but sweet-looking, soft; A great thick head.

Plentiful bubbles, top 1/3 bubbles didn't stick to glass, they were the first to go, bottom 2/3 kept their hold on the side of the glass. Very clear, excitable bubbles, zigged and zagged as they rose, some light sediment trailed form the top to the bottom of the glass, a golden amber in color, something of a golden orange even. The head seemed to dissipate medium-quick.

The smell was citrusy, grassy, 'flat', 'creamy', and pleasing over-all. Not bad, not great, but good.

Tasting was pleasant, a nice thick mouthful was golden wheat-y, biscuity, light and citrusy leaning towards lemon, and there was some wooden/cork taste, nice, mildly acidic, going with the citrus there, and even a hint of what resembled cherry. The linger afterwards was a sharp 'high' acidic wood. This continued throughout its entirety as far as I could tell.

The mouthfeel was soft, middle-bodied, smooth and pillowy even, taking the lightness of your lager and appealing a little more to it's weight, it still felt fairly light and it's presence was half-felt, not like an IPA or something which will want to try to cinder block your palate and tongue. Again, middle to light, thinking of it now and looking at my notes.

Overall, over all, I liked it enough. I give this a B+.

*Special notes - the bottle has a great 'barrel notches' on the neck resembling the steel belts placed around barrels we are to associate with the 'olden days' of American brewing, true to the notion of 'prohibition'. As any good citizen knows, prohibition of any substance is immoral and an ill-conceived feint towards any sort of industry seeking to make money off of selfish and fearful standards by those who just don't trust the common person to have a good sense of what is pleasure and what is too much. I'm glad alcohol prohibition (of most kinds) is gone, and I look forward to when we have the collective good sense and strength of collective character to repeal prohibition of all substances in favor of letting our own selves make our own choices like adults and good people do in their own natural course of being.

That's all.