Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Reviews: 236 | Hads: 1,253
3.93/5  rDev +14.6%

It pours a golden color with a frothy white head. Smells like your average American macro beer, with some corn and adjunct sweetness. Now the taste is where it gets interesting, up front I noticed a nice lemongrass bitterness along with the adjunct flavor, but the hoppy taste really stands out and isn't very noticeable in the aroma so it's a surprise when you taste it. It is light bodied with moderate carbonation and a dry finish. This beer kind ofcaught me off guard, It's way better than I thought, It looks and smells like any old beer but the flavor really makes up for it. I could actually see myself drinking this more often.

3.93/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a rusty golden-amber color. Brilliant clarity. Two fingers of a bone white, wet and creamy head retain very well. A thin, fine-bubbled layer of lacing blankets the glass. High marks for appearance.

S: Sweet corn and a light grainy scent. Bready and doughy yeast. Grassy hops. Fairly straightforward, but actually quite appealing on the nose.

T: Sweet corn, bready and toasted grain. Light caramel. Slight touch of doughy yeast. Zing of herbal hops mid-palate is reminiscent of thyme. Herbal hop character builds and shifts a little. Very clean. Dry cereal grains lead into the finish and close it out nicely along with a fading herbal hop presence.

M: Medium bodied. Nice presence in the mouth; slight firmness, ultra creamy. Moderate scrubbing carbonation. Very smooth.

O: As much as many beer aficionados love to bash BMC products, there's really nothing to hate here. This is a nicely done beer all around. It's straightforward and simple enough, but it doesn't hold back. There's some real malt character and hop taste to it. For once it seems that Coors isn't totally pandering to the lowest common denominator by making a safe but lifeless beer. Batch 19 may be the game changer. This beer can compete.

Notes: The branding seems to be piggybacking on what some craft brands are already doing, namely Brooklyn (see Brooklyn Lager and its pre-prohibition plug) and Pretty Things (the historical recipes series). They also seem to be trying to tap into that rebellious craft beer spirit. Mixing in a little bit of that old-timey throwback feel too. It works though. It'll be interesting to see how this sells down the line and where they go with it.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

I can't believe I like a beer made by Coors. That's not a prejudice statement towards the big 3, I just honestly don't like beers made by Coors.

This is a nice color to match a grade A honey or light maple syrup. Clear and free of imperfections. Good amount of carbon bubbles that feed a lasting white head.

To back up the nice looks is a better smell and taste. Mild in flavors with malts that are faint and hinting. The hops are mild grainy hops. The taste is nice as it sits on your tongue as the sweetness comes and goes and leaves a nice slight bitterness.

Goes down smooth. I'll enjoy a lot of this beer.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This review was based on the beer within its style that is why it is higher than it would be if I were comparing it to craft beers.

A-Dark gold with thick off white head that lasts longer than expected and leaves some decent lacing

S-very muted, but kind of musty and generic

T-Malty with a hint of hops-it seems kind of soapy and slightly musty

M-very thick for the style and not as much carbonation as usual which is great

D-very drinkable beer indeed

Overall, this is considerably better than your typical American Adjunct Lager. Its much more flavorful and fuller bodied. You could definitely do worse.

12oz bottle

A - Amber color with a white head that doesn't dissipate quickly.

S - strong smell. very pleasent.

T - Greast taste. Strong first impression with a moderate lingering after taste

F - good carbonation. Strong sense of individualality.

O - Great brew. Would drink again and recommend. I enjoyed it straight from the bottle and from a frosted Mason Jar :)

3.91/5  rDev +14%

Bought in a mixed six pack chilled at a grocer and poured chilled into a Perfect Pint.

A=Very nice...darker golden amber color with ample white frothy head.

S=Faint bread smell with hint of corn and sweetness.

T=Nice malt presence with the first sip...flavor is present, but a bit lighter than I anticipated. A hint of hops...I am thinking that this might be an all-malt, or very close to it, but there is a hint of sweetness.

M=Excellent body with just the right amount (medium-light) carbonation.

O=I have another bottle to try, but, after first sample, I would definitely consider again. I prefer the robustness of an amber a bit more, but this would be my first choice if buying a lager for friends.

3/13 update...had served on tap at a local bar...was not nearly as good as I remembered it...I would have given it a 3 this time, so I am changing my taste to the average, or 3.5.

3.91/5  rDev +14%

Enjoyed this on tap out for dinner with the family. Would have liked about five more. This was served well chilled in a Batch 19 tulip style pint glass.

A) Really nice looking golden amber. It was clean and clear. There was a nice finger of creamy white head on this one. The head settled to a dusting, and there was some nice lacing too. This was photo quality right here.

S) There is sweet malt aroma, little hint of caramel. This is followed by a pleasing hint of earthy hops. As I nipped on this one a bit, I picked up a little green grape aroma too.

T) Close to the nose. This has really nice balance. I didn't find this to have any of those off flavors, that typically keep me from drinking adjunct lagers. Nice malt presence, but not overly sweet. It mingles well with a touch of hops, that provides just the right amount of bitterness. This finishes clean, slightly dry, with a good aftertaste.

M) Really nice feel, definitely not thin. This is on the lighter side of medium, not over carbonated. It's smooth, nearly creamy. This goes down easy.

O) This was darn good. If your looking to tip back a few lagers during the game, or just hanging out, my advice would be not to overlook this option, simply because of the brewer.

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance: Excellent copper brown. Is this really an adjunct? Very thin layer of lacing that is slightly off-white.

Smell: Caramel and slight fruit notes. Some berries or apple cider maybe.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very grassy in the head. Some fruity caramel malt follows. Finishes with more dry grass. Light-slightly medium body with nice crispness. Excellent dryness.

Overall: I'll be damned. Easily my favorite Coors product. This beer should stirs up nostalgic images of rugged, blue collar lunch breaks at the steel mill. I will be getting this again.

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is a great "anytime" beer. Though it has a slight "skunky" smell to it, its taste does not reflect that.

It is pretty highly carbonated and it's mouthfeel is light and thin. Upon a sip, the immediate flavor is sharp and slightly hoppy - almost a copper-flavored hop. It remains bitter from start to finish, but the flavor smooths through a hint of grassiness and ends on a grainy wheat flavor - which happens to be an attribute of most of my favorite beers.

Like another reviewer said, I think many people are rating this lower than it deserves simply because it is made by Coors. Of generic, run of the mill, canned beers, Coors ranks low for me. Maybe just about Natty Ice. This doesn't even taste reminiscent of typical Coors and it is worth a shot. I definitely stand with the Brothers rather than user average on this one.

3.89/5  rDev +13.4%

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company, the "pre-Prohibition style lager". Potentially a gimmick, I'll see and taste for myself. Poured from the unique bottle into a glass, Batch 19 has a 1.5 finger head with nearly solid lacing. I give the appearance a 4 because the amber displayed here is just stunning. Its just PURE amber color. Google image search "amber" and you will see the same color I am. Very great job here!

I can smell pleasant malt sweetness, maybe some other assorted grains as well. Its not very strong smelling but it doesn't require extra effort to notice the components.

Ok, let's take a nice swig: yup, malt sweetness and a GREAT balance of hop bitterness. Also, throughout my experience, I tasted a dash of caramel and perhaps some breadiness if that makes sense. Now THIS is a good entry-level craft lager. Faux craft of not.

Mouthfeel is, yes, outstanding. Here's why : yes this a SLIGHTLY heavier lager than others, but the precise second I felt the minutely bigger weight, it evened out. Leaving me with a clean finish.

Overall a very well deserved 3.75 for Batch 19. I would've gave it a solid 4, but the lack of scent did away with that. This is up there with Dortmunder Gold, as far as I'm concerned. I will definitely buy this brew again!

3.89/5  rDev +13.4%

a nice beer. Meets my standard "tastes like beer". I am not a fan of the strongly hopped flavors that are most prevalent today in "beer". This one tastes like a good beer, but could have a touch more strength in flavor.
It is good.

3.89/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours nicely into a lovely gold with a rich, thick creamy head with medium carbonation.

Smells well. I get sweet malt and floral hops.

Mouthfeel is pretty good but it kinda lacks the dry after taste in a premium Lager like Third Shift, a favorite, also made by Coors. I would like a tad more bite and a little more taste lingering in the upper mouth.

taste is where its at with this beer. This is a damn good tasting Beer. Utterly delicious. Sweet and Malty but not overly. A bit of dryness after the sip, tho I wish it had more. You CAN feel it traveling to the stomach, as i can with all beer above 5.00 abv.

I dont know what else to say. I really love this stuff. This and Third Shift are now my prime Lagers.

3.89/5  rDev +13.4%

Beautiful, clear gold, with a lasting finger of white fluff.

A slightly sour yeast aroma, with spicy and floral hop lightly sharing the bouquet with some sweet grain.

It tastes much better than the smell prepared me for, nice yeast and grainy sweet to start, balanced very well by the hops that come on at the end of the sip to leave a pleasant spice and floral taste. Balanced and clean. Nice.

Refreshing medium carb., easy drinking, with a clean and tasty finish.

Wish I could have had this available back in the day, tasty lager beer that is a cut above the regular BMC fare.

3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

Good looking, golden and clear with rising bubbles and a nice two finger head that had staying power and left nice lace.

Aroma was light, grains predominantly but some sweet maltiness.

Taste was actually pretty good. It's a little sweet at first, but a dry graininess, followed by some hay and a bit of a crisp hops bite follows up quickly. There's a light corn and malt base, along with a little caramel too.

Body is very light and pretty well carbonated, extremely easy to drink.

I bought a single of this in a mixer sixer just to try/review it. I didn't realize it was a Coors product, but I probably would have tried it anyway. I must say that this beer is pretty damn good stuff, and that I actually hope that Coors markets it well and it sells well to their base customers. It has flavor, head, and color, and while not really the go-to choice for a hophead like me, I'm sure that your average BMC drinker would enjoy this beer. I would not complain if I went to a party and this was the only beer they had.

This is a very good American Adjunct Lager.

3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

Transparent golden color lager with thick head. Descent retention and no lacing.

Grainy, bread-like aroma with a hint of orange.

Whole wheat malt flavor. Assertive hop character, citrus and soap. Honey sweetness. Fairly well balanced and complex without many adjunct flavors.

Medium bodied and well carbonated. Slick in the middle and drying in the end.

Much more interesting that most brews that come out of Coors, both in flavor and body. Hardly seems like an adjunct lager at all. I'm impressed.

3.86/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Am. lager for first warm days of spring this year.
A little malt, a little corn. mild yeast qualities. Kinda' standard, but solid and pleasing.
Dark for style, darker gold to bronze. Nice dense white head. Very clear.
Sharp prickly carbonation, creates full mouthfeel and softness. A little heavier body than is standard for style.
Heavier malt flavor for style. A touch of sweetness. Adjunct more hidden than in the aroma. Clear hop flavors (a little spicy and herbal) and smooth transition to the bitterness, which lingers through a long rather dry finish.
A bigger tasting and fuller richer lager than typical.

Best by 12NOV12

Cool bottle. Interesting brew. Pours an amber lager with a bit of white bubbles here and there. Nose is caramel, sugar substitutes, some banana, a little grain - nice nose. Flavor is nice and smooth lager - reminds me of a munich helles and is slightly sweet and woody. Easy drinking. Medium bodied with lower carb and a nice semi slick finish. A surprise from a giant - a really drinkable beer. I would order this occasionally.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this at the Texas Roadhouse in York, served chilled in a pint.

The color is an apricot shade with light haze and thin white cap, retention is good. The smell is very gentle with mild malt sweetness and subtle floral hop aspects with a light spice ester. The feel is good with mild sweetness crisp medium bodied moderate carbonation and semi-dry finish.

I like the flavor while it has a slight pils sweetness it also has an herbal hop flavor which adds to the malt profile with a dry finish it is a pretty drinkable lager

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark amber with a high white head. The smell is crisp minerals, some grain, maybe a little mild citrus. The taste is pretty yeasty, or maybe like soda bread, with a tough mineral backbone and some citrus tang in the finish. I could believe this was a dortmunder lager. It's a little more fizzy than it needs to be, but is largely crisp and refreshing. Not one I'll probably revisit often, but certainly a respectable lager.

Gigantic mug of beer. On tap @ chef Geoffs mcLean VA
A: dark golden to amber w 1/2 finger of light white head carbonation is decent, with a lingering ring of head around the top. Lacing is minimal but present

S:sweet, musky, bready, slight floral presence

T: sweet, grainy, bready, very much like an amber lager. Earthy, Husky, with a nice sweetness but also a floral hop presence that balances it out.

M: light-medium, doesn't taste like water, it had a good carbonation and mouthfeel, finish is more sweet than a normal AAL

O:Damn coors. I never thought I'd find an AAL I liked but you've done it. Not start mass producing this instead of your light beers and you've got a new customer. If this is what an AAL should be then I'm on board. I would certainly purchase a draft or 6 pack of this regularly.

3.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Oh my, its sure has been a ling time since my last review. Been holding off due to the site changes. I'm an old school soul that takes dramatic change hard. The pace if technology, possibilities and constant changes with the many and complex social aspects creates a oroblem for me. I like to keep it simple, direct and personal. Sometimes you have to roll with it and adapt. Its only because i love the very foundation of what this site is based on do i bother to come back. Do i naturally like how the site looks, feels, operates now compared to say 2010...no. but who cares, ? I love beer, reviews and the work ut takes to create and maintain such a popular style site. Ih damn, its high time i review this beer currently getting warm because i'm typing in a tiny ass android key pad!

First off, i love the concept of historical recipes and beers brewed as such. I love historu and im an old soul in a young body. For sure.

The look is pretty nice. Amber, not yelliw or clear color. I always feel like a major comoany like millercoors might skimp out on certain aspects of a brew. No evidence of that here.

Aroma is a rather funky, musky, burnt sugar, earthy and sour delight. I really like how these aromas blend. The hop smell is very interesting

Flavor is actually pretty complex, with a unique,funk to the hop flavor. Sour and wheat_ earthy effect. Together, worth sipping and ponderig. The malt, thank god is not too sweet ir lingering. Balance can make or break a brew for me, this one imoresses.

Feel is good, no malty left overs, stays crisp but maintains a mouth complexity.

I think many will not be open to this beer simply because its from one of big boys. Judge it for what it is. Word.

3.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

With all these 'retro' beers coming out, I'm finding it interesting to try them.

This one pours a nice amber shade with a light beige head. I expected more carbonation with this but wasn't disappointed with it.

The aroma was nice and moderately hoppy with some malt in the background.

Taste was better than Coors other beers. It was light but not watery. Again, the German hops had a moderate presence without being overbearing. It finished fairly dry; I would almost say there was some rye in the grain bill.

Mouthfeel was light. Let's move on.

Over all, this is a pleasant beer. If I wanted to drink a lighter beer, I'd consider having one or two in a bar.

3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – Pours a golden amber colored brew with a one finger white head. The head fades rather fast to leave a nice level of lacing.

Smell- The aroma is heaviest of a bready and caramel smell. Mixed with these aromas is a light hop smell of a citrus and earthy nature

Taste – The taste begins with flavors of bread and some caramel sweetness. As the flavor advances a light roasted malt flavor comes to the tongue along with some hop flavors of an earthy nature come to the tongue. As the flavor advances more to the end, it crisps up more as the caramel flavors diminish some and more bready flavors comes to the tongue. With these transitions more hop flavors of a light citrus nature come to the tongue as well and leave a lightly hopped crisp flavor on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the lighter side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is very average. It’s pretty decent for the style as it is smooth and matched the crispness and light hop flavors of the brew fairly well.

Overall – A nice easy drinking and good session brew. It has enough hop flavor to make it somewhat exciting, but it still maintains an easy and relatively clean lager taste.

3.81/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Super light amber/copper
body. White head that leaves almost as quickly as it appeared.

A- Light corn and grain. Faint hop aroma.

T- Initially nice and sweet, but there is a bitterness that comes through. Finishes nice and crisp. Lightly phenolic.

M- Light body moderate carbonation.

D- My first experience with this beer was a bar in Golden, CO. I thought it was a great beer to pair with a meal when your selection is limited. I recently picked it up in bottles and think it is still a pretty great beer. I prematurely told a few people it was Coors and could see the bias change as they found out.

3.81/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: crystal amber body with a one finger white head and it leaves some lacing on the glass

Aroma: faint spicy hops; dough; not much else

Flavor: grassy, spicy hops, pink peppercorn, lightly roasted caramel, lightly toasted grains, flavors come together for a nice lager

Mouthfeel: super fine carbonation feel – like a flat fizz; soft wool like; soft pink peppercorn spice on the back; dry lightly toasted notes with a touch of spice on the aftertaste that linger;

To the Point: have to say I did not expect much from this product; after being tortured with that Third Shift crap – what else do you expect from the big beer companies trying to compete with the craft beer segment … a good beer … yeah right. Oh yeah, right! This is good. I will buy it again for sitting around the campfire up north.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company