Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Reviews: 236 | Hads: 1,253

This is a fabulous medium-bodied, full-flavored lager. That really doesn't do it justice. I like IPAs when it's cold and Corona's and Beck's when it's hot. In other words, I like the hop flavor - not a sweet, malty beer guy. So, Coors reaches back into the archives and delivers a lager, which like it or not is what most Americans want to drink, and adds a lot of hop for this style of beer and still manages to pull off a malt flavor without being sweet. In my opinion, this is like a hoppy Sam Adams Lager. Now, I said I like IPAs and I know what I'm talking about here. This is not an IPA. But for those who want a really nice lager beer with a complex, hop taste this is the ticket. My biggest concern is that this just isn't going to sell enough to keep it on the shelves.
One more comment. Everybody has their taste preferences. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest and have probably tried more microbrews than most people think exist. Within the caveat that everybody likes something, most microbrew stuff is bilge. I like good beer whether it's a global brand or one cooked up in the neighbor's garage. If you're in the camp that says the big brewers can't possibly make great beer, well, as the saying goes, "no man is as blind as one who refuses to see" or taste in this case. The big brewers weren't always big which is still irrelevant. But, prior to prohibition they all had great recipes. Every once in a while they bring'em back and batch 19 is one of them. AB has done it in the past as well. So, if you're open-minded, not quite ready for an IPA but like a complex, hoppy flavored lager that will go great on a hot or cold day, give this a shot.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

Beer poured a golden amber/honey color with great clarity and a one-finger mostly white head. The smell is pretty faint. Little malts, little hops, little sours. The taste is solid and well-balanced, a nice blend. Malts and tarts up front and moderate hops and bitterness at the end that linger. The mouthfeel is light/medium with a creamy body. All in all, I enjoyed it. Maybe a little too much. It's neither too heavy, nor too light or watered down. I'd call it a solid session alternative to standard macros. If you're looking to get a buddy away from his Bud Light, Coors Light trend, maybe start him here.

Price: $9.99 for 6/pack

4.02/5  rDev +17.2%

A standard pour of Coors' Batch 19 Lager yields a semi-viscous snow-white foam atop a golden-amber body. The flurry of medium-sized bubbles that exploded in the glass just after the initial pour quickly turns into a steady sheet of champagne-like army of tiny bubbles, equidistantly spaced, that race towards the top.

The nose is delightful. Moist hay, green apple cider, and elderflower spring to mind.

The taste follows the nose to a tee. The sour flavor of fermented green apples dominates. The bitter aromatics of elderflower and lavender emerge in the back end and are sustained throughout the beer's surprisingly long hang.

The value of a beer's mouthfeel is typically determined by considering the way in which it complements the beer's flavor. This is true here, too: the beer is light on the palate and allows its crisp, tart flavors of green apple to shine. But quick whirl around the tongue tosses up some of the frothiest, most pleasing foam my tongue has touched in a long time. Yes. That's what I call nearly perfect.

Coors' Batch 19 is the American macro-brewery's attempt to cash in on the recent explosion of craft brewing in the US. I purchased this bottle expecting not to like it. What a surprise. No. What a shock! For the first time, I'm nostalgic for the 19th century and looking forward to trying more of these "pre-prohibition" beers, which have been increasingly visible on the craft beer scene of late.

4.17/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Light brown color, semi clear light brown head.
Aroma: Very light malt and hops smell.
Taste: Light roasted malt flavor, nice hopped finish; medium bodied.
Overall: This is well brewed beer. The lightly roasted malt flavor is accented with well balanced hopped finished. A good, fairly light bodied beer, with decent flavor. Great on hot day. Hats off to Coors for this one.

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: A medium amber beer with excellent clarity, some enthusiastic bubbles and a creamy, off-white head.

S: A moderately-light earthy and somewhat herbal hops with a moderate malt character. There is a light caramel note in the malt and the occasional hint of the metallic hops note. Other than that a clean, simple nose.

T: The flavor is dominated by a balance of moderate malt sweetness, medium-light hops bitterness and a moderate earthy and fruity hops flavor. The malt brings a light caramel character with overall malt being slightly stronger than the hops giving a balance that is a somewhat towards the malt. The finish is crisp with a brief hops bitterness aftertaste and a light fruit character.

M: A creamy medium bodied lager with a medium level of carbonation.

O: An all malt lager with a balance of enjoyable hop character. A good example of a style I really get to enjoy outside of home brewing circles.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone pint glass
From: Ralph’s in Hillcrest (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $6.64 (w/ Ralph’s card and 30 percent off after buying four 6-packs) for a 6-pack
Purchased: Dec. 5, 2013
Consumed: Dec. 5, 2013
Misc.: Best by March 17, 2014

Poured a honey golden clear color with two fingers of frothy white head. Some noticeable bubbles coming up from the bottom. Sporadic foamy spots of good lacing on the sides all the way down. Good retention on the top as well.

Smelled caramel, honey, Cheerios, corn, sourdough bread and grass. Much better though than the average AAL.

Tasted a lot like the smell. Got corn, wheat grass, honey, caramel, metal, cereal, toast and sourdough bread. Not quite as good as the smell, but still pretty good.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt finish.

I have to say, for the style, this beer was much better than I thought it was going to be. Definitely a good alternative to the Bud, Miller Lite, etc.

3.94/5  rDev +14.9%

Fairly drinkable beer. Poured at a good temperature with a thick, cream-colored, medium size head that settles after a bit and some lace. Color is a clear medium amber with a few slow bubble trails. Aroma is a tad perfumey, malt, grass. Flavor's like nose, tang and mild sweetness up front, bitter in back. Not too complex, but drinkable. Body/carbonation decent. Finish is like flavor, on the short side.

3.84/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

With all these 'retro' beers coming out, I'm finding it interesting to try them.

This one pours a nice amber shade with a light beige head. I expected more carbonation with this but wasn't disappointed with it.

The aroma was nice and moderately hoppy with some malt in the background.

Taste was better than Coors other beers. It was light but not watery. Again, the German hops had a moderate presence without being overbearing. It finished fairly dry; I would almost say there was some rye in the grain bill.

Mouthfeel was light. Let's move on.

Over all, this is a pleasant beer. If I wanted to drink a lighter beer, I'd consider having one or two in a bar.

This, by far, is my favorite beer!
My pal bought it on a whim because he is crazy about history and invited me over for a few drinks. I took one swig and I was hooked. I literally teared up because of how wonderful it tasted. I was only over for a half hour and I had consumed three. Several weeks later I found out that the batch I had before was well past it's suggested sell date (7 months over) so I decided to get some more. This batch was just as good if not even better than the first.

What I am saying is if you are looking fir something new to try and you enjoy lagers:

Try this!

having not tried Coors latest ,picked up a sixer

now before review this what caught my eye
hops ,lager

ok here we go

poured into a Sierra nevada ale pint glass

light amber , appears to be artificial carbonation, perfect head, lacing ? bah
nose - not much
ad says hops where are they ?
lager - absolutely not

another george killians type slightly better, but not there yet , i guess this is to appeal to the budweiser masses ,was really "hopping" for a change

same ole same ole just a different bottle of corn -rice malt beer from Coors.

save your money,considering the $9 a sixer at local Publix false advertising on Coors part.

to bad they have the money and market to make a real good beer. this is not

3.89/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours nicely into a lovely gold with a rich, thick creamy head with medium carbonation.

Smells well. I get sweet malt and floral hops.

Mouthfeel is pretty good but it kinda lacks the dry after taste in a premium Lager like Third Shift, a favorite, also made by Coors. I would like a tad more bite and a little more taste lingering in the upper mouth.

taste is where its at with this beer. This is a damn good tasting Beer. Utterly delicious. Sweet and Malty but not overly. A bit of dryness after the sip, tho I wish it had more. You CAN feel it traveling to the stomach, as i can with all beer above 5.00 abv.

I dont know what else to say. I really love this stuff. This and Third Shift are now my prime Lagers.

4.29/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer blew me away for a SAB/Miller product.
I worked in the industry for several years and frankly I'm tired of crap craft ales. Here is a lager that has bite, mouthfeel, and hop aromas.

I've rotated to lagers because I can't take the yeast that's in the solution of most ales at this point. After years of being a massive hop head I developed an allergy to hops. This beer brings me back in a format that doesn't destroy me.

I'll be buying another sixer in the future.

4.31/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

My favorite beer to date. I'm a history guy so when I saw a pre-prohibition style lager, I had to get it. Could not be happier with the decision. Good color, wasn't a fan of the smell because I didn't realize that the first batch I picked up was way past the suggested date. It still tasted great though. Then had to buy a new batch not past the date and it was even better. Can't believe it's made by Coor's. Thanks a lot, Prohibition, for making this delicious beer disappear for almost a century

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

Transparent, golden colored body topped with a nice, finger-thick head that hangs around for some time. Carbonation is abundant and lacing is impressive for the style!

Slightly sweet and heavy on wheat notes. A fair bit of malt and light grains. Every now and again, I'll catch some lemon peel.

Good! I honestly wasn't expecting much chracter, and I'm happy to report I was wrong. A nice, grainy body with some light cirtus notes. A decent amount of hop presence provides a light, crisp bitter bite. A nice, subtle spice is also noticable - mostly pepper.

Creamy, smooth, and refreshing! Crisp finish leaves you wanting more. Carbonation is off the charts. Light-bodied, this should please many.

A pleasant surprise! I had no idea Coors was capable of such a product. Easy to drink and refreshing. Everyone should go into this one with an open mind and prepare to be blown away because it's not just a good beer for a domestic brewery, it's just a good beer period.

3.19/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is slightly hazy amber yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface, a collar around the edge and some lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of toasted malts are present in the nose along with notes of grassy hops.
T: The initial taste has flavors of toasted malts and a bit of sweetness; this is followed by notes of grassy hops and hints of mineral water plus a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a lot fuller bodied compared to other beers in the style and doesn't have any adjunct-like flavors.

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I remember the first time I bought Batch 19 at my local liquor store. I wasn't too sure what to expect but I'm glad I bought some. Coors outdid themselves when figuring out the brew of Batch 19. Not to mention the bottles are very neat. Near the cap there looks to be a fashioned groove that was most likely an assembly line feature used on beer bottles from then time.
Appearance-wise its a bit darker for a lager but definitely not a dark lager. More of a dark blackish brown color that pours rather smooth.
Smell-wise there's more of a malty bitter smell to it. Not a whole lot going on but it gives a sneak preview to what kind of beer it is.
Taste-wise its very bold, malty, smooth, and just rather tasty. Its nothing like Coors but at the same time I really like it. In my opinion I'd prefer it over a Bud Black Crown which is the prime competitor.
In your mouth its very smooth and solid. Won't kick you in the butt but lets you know its there.
Overall I really like Coors Batch 19. If beer in 1919 was really as tasty as that, I can see why prohibition was in force.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was impressed. It has the characteristic dry malt profile of a macro brew...no sweet lingering on the tongue. But the hops stand out. Reminds me of a lager I once brewed that got too warm and too attenuated. Needed months lagering to smooth it out.

Coors has made a solid beer here. If they can manage to avoid marking it up to craft beer prices, they could find themselves with a new hit. Just a few bucks more than a 12-pack of the Banquet would be perfect. The fancy bottles are nice too...shame they aren't pry-off!

3.06/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Crystal clear and pale gold. Nice full white head on top.

S: Somewhat typical of an American lager. There is some nice graininess, perhaps a little dry hay smell, and a touch of soil. There is just the slightest whiff of a grassy and herbal hop smell.

T: Grainy, at first, some light herbal flavors, as well as the dry hay flavor coming in. Not bad, but nothing amazing. There is a hint at hops in the finish.

M: Medium light, the carbonation actually seems a touch low for the style, however I can still feel a little bit of carbonic bite. The finish feels a little more rounded out rather than crisp.

O: Overall I think it is drinkable. It is an interesting departure from their regular beers, that just so happens to taste a lot like all their other beers, albeit slightly better.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Style Lager pours a light orange color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a touch of spicy hops in the aroma, and sweet maltiness also is noticeable. Fairly good flavor (guess I wasn't expecting that) that starts with a sweet malt flavor and then some spicy hops make themselves noticeable. Much better than a typical macro American Adjunct Lager. The bottle says it is inspired by a pre-prohibition recipe.

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This is my first review, so let's go.

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Lager

...came for me in a 12 0z bottle, which I took out of a fridge and let sit for around 15 minutes, so I can't give you a proximate temperature, but it was cool to the touch, and if I had to guess, it was 40 degrees or something like that. Within that ballpark.

Poured slowly in to a tall pilsner glass, almost all poured in, about an inch and a half of healthy white head. Thick, soft, foamy, I guess that's most heads. But not like a stout head, so, typical, but sweet-looking, soft; A great thick head.

Plentiful bubbles, top 1/3 bubbles didn't stick to glass, they were the first to go, bottom 2/3 kept their hold on the side of the glass. Very clear, excitable bubbles, zigged and zagged as they rose, some light sediment trailed form the top to the bottom of the glass, a golden amber in color, something of a golden orange even. The head seemed to dissipate medium-quick.

The smell was citrusy, grassy, 'flat', 'creamy', and pleasing over-all. Not bad, not great, but good.

Tasting was pleasant, a nice thick mouthful was golden wheat-y, biscuity, light and citrusy leaning towards lemon, and there was some wooden/cork taste, nice, mildly acidic, going with the citrus there, and even a hint of what resembled cherry. The linger afterwards was a sharp 'high' acidic wood. This continued throughout its entirety as far as I could tell.

The mouthfeel was soft, middle-bodied, smooth and pillowy even, taking the lightness of your lager and appealing a little more to it's weight, it still felt fairly light and it's presence was half-felt, not like an IPA or something which will want to try to cinder block your palate and tongue. Again, middle to light, thinking of it now and looking at my notes.

Overall, over all, I liked it enough. I give this a B+.

*Special notes - the bottle has a great 'barrel notches' on the neck resembling the steel belts placed around barrels we are to associate with the 'olden days' of American brewing, true to the notion of 'prohibition'. As any good citizen knows, prohibition of any substance is immoral and an ill-conceived feint towards any sort of industry seeking to make money off of selfish and fearful standards by those who just don't trust the common person to have a good sense of what is pleasure and what is too much. I'm glad alcohol prohibition (of most kinds) is gone, and I look forward to when we have the collective good sense and strength of collective character to repeal prohibition of all substances in favor of letting our own selves make our own choices like adults and good people do in their own natural course of being.

That's all.
Be well, all.

4.43/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz./355ml bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA
Sep 1613
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a medium amber color. Much darker and more colorful than any American adjunct lager I have ever seen. The liquid was capped by a one-inch tall, tight, creamy, frothy, off-white crown that deposited thick, drippy lacing along the glass.

Crisp, dry, powdery, yeasty notes came out strong in the nose. There was a subtle, sweet bready malt presence as well. Pleasant and quite interesting for the style. Slightly grainy. As the beer warmed, a touch of floral hops became noticeable. The malty sweetness intensified as well.

The beer was amazingly flavorful for the style. Bready, biscuity malts came through strong on the front end. Tart and bright in the center with wheaty and lemony notes dominating. Dry, earthy hops were noticeable in the crisp and semi-bitter finish. With time, the flavor profile really intensified. Earthy, herbal hops and bready malts really made their presence known. Some floral hops appeared as well. Toward the beer's end, I swear I was also picking up some citrusy (orange peel?) hop notes. This really began tasting a lot more like an American amber ale than a typical adjunct lager.

The mouthfeel was super creamy, frothy and smooth. A fine, medium effervescence made the liquid feel slick on the palate.

Malts? Hops? Flavor? I am used to macro lagers being wimpy, fizzy beers, but this was a notable exception. Coors really came through big time with this "pre-prohibition style lager." I would love to see it offered in tall ball cans, perhaps taking a space alongside PBR, Narragansett and Schlitz at my local digs.

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a twisty into a schooner. A moderate pour (accelerated at the end) produces about 1/2 inch of snow-white foam that recedes almost immediately but sticks around to produce momentary swells of surf around the edges of the glass. The beer is lightly effervescent and a pale reddish-straw color- noticeably darker with less yellow than typical macrobrew.

My poor nose detects a noticeable beer aroma, which can't be said for certain nameless brands run amok...You can definitely taste some hops here- the slightly earthy bitter you might expect along with some mildly floral qualities suggestive of (??) and maybe even a tinge of grapefruit and canned oj (yummy). The mouthfeel combines with a pleasantly malty-citrusy aftertaste.

I'm wanting to compare this to other "retro-brews", or attempts thereof, and am definitely interested in how this recipe was conceived or discovered. It definitely has some hop flavor, beyond a mere kiss, and reminds me a bit of some "retro" styles out there, such as Olympia, Grain Belt, Schlitz, and regular ol' Coors.

3.36/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains and malts. Taste is crisp, grains, some malts, lightly hopped, not a lot going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall is not a bad beer, but at this price point you can do better.

3.34/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz from a six pack from local Mom and Pop convenience store, S.Salem $6.99. Slightly darker gold than usual for a pale lager..nice really,large frothy white head. Realtivly clean aroma or weak caramel,nuts, and weak resin hops. Taste is balanced, caramel,grassy hop and bread..not too bad really maybe a bit sweet. Hae to say i liked the mouthfeel of this ..it made me take big gulps and i am not thirsty..i can only imagine how fast this would go next week as i camp in the Oregon Dunes. A good lager

1.69/5  rDev -50.7%

This is the worst swill I've ever had. I bought a twelve pack, and the only -- O.N.L.Y. thing I can use this for is boiling brats! What utter dreck.

It is quite hoppy at first, but the finish has this - flavor - that reminds me of open sewage. It even "felt" to me as if there were "chunks" in it, even though I know it did not. It was possibly the worst experience I've ever had.

The twelve cost me $13 (a ripoff), and I feel bad because I just got done telling my wife that I would certainly be able to drink the entire twelve pack. But one taste and I poured the rest down the sink.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company