Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Reviews: 230 | Hads: 1,235
3.38/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was impressed. It has the characteristic dry malt profile of a macro brew...no sweet lingering on the tongue. But the hops stand out. Reminds me of a lager I once brewed that got too warm and too attenuated. Needed months lagering to smooth it out.

Coors has made a solid beer here. If they can manage to avoid marking it up to craft beer prices, they could find themselves with a new hit. Just a few bucks more than a 12-pack of the Banquet would be perfect. The fancy bottles are nice too...shame they aren't pry-off! (522 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

A: Crystal clear and pale gold. Nice full white head on top.

S: Somewhat typical of an American lager. There is some nice graininess, perhaps a little dry hay smell, and a touch of soil. There is just the slightest whiff of a grassy and herbal hop smell.

T: Grainy, at first, some light herbal flavors, as well as the dry hay flavor coming in. Not bad, but nothing amazing. There is a hint at hops in the finish.

M: Medium light, the carbonation actually seems a touch low for the style, however I can still feel a little bit of carbonic bite. The finish feels a little more rounded out rather than crisp.

O: Overall I think it is drinkable. It is an interesting departure from their regular beers, that just so happens to taste a lot like all their other beers, albeit slightly better. (794 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Style Lager pours a light orange color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a touch of spicy hops in the aroma, and sweet maltiness also is noticeable. Fairly good flavor (guess I wasn't expecting that) that starts with a sweet malt flavor and then some spicy hops make themselves noticeable. Much better than a typical macro American Adjunct Lager. The bottle says it is inspired by a pre-prohibition recipe. (458 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This is my first review, so let's go.

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Lager

...came for me in a 12 0z bottle, which I took out of a fridge and let sit for around 15 minutes, so I can't give you a proximate temperature, but it was cool to the touch, and if I had to guess, it was 40 degrees or something like that. Within that ballpark.

Poured slowly in to a tall pilsner glass, almost all poured in, about an inch and a half of healthy white head. Thick, soft, foamy, I guess that's most heads. But not like a stout head, so, typical, but sweet-looking, soft; A great thick head.

Plentiful bubbles, top 1/3 bubbles didn't stick to glass, they were the first to go, bottom 2/3 kept their hold on the side of the glass. Very clear, excitable bubbles, zigged and zagged as they rose, some light sediment trailed form the top to the bottom of the glass, a golden amber in color, something of a golden orange even. The head seemed to dissipate medium-quick.

The smell was citrusy, grassy, 'flat', 'creamy', and pleasing over-all. Not bad, not great, but good.

Tasting was pleasant, a nice thick mouthful was golden wheat-y, biscuity, light and citrusy leaning towards lemon, and there was some wooden/cork taste, nice, mildly acidic, going with the citrus there, and even a hint of what resembled cherry. The linger afterwards was a sharp 'high' acidic wood. This continued throughout its entirety as far as I could tell.

The mouthfeel was soft, middle-bodied, smooth and pillowy even, taking the lightness of your lager and appealing a little more to it's weight, it still felt fairly light and it's presence was half-felt, not like an IPA or something which will want to try to cinder block your palate and tongue. Again, middle to light, thinking of it now and looking at my notes.

Overall, over all, I liked it enough. I give this a B+.

*Special notes - the bottle has a great 'barrel notches' on the neck resembling the steel belts placed around barrels we are to associate with the 'olden days' of American brewing, true to the notion of 'prohibition'. As any good citizen knows, prohibition of any substance is immoral and an ill-conceived feint towards any sort of industry seeking to make money off of selfish and fearful standards by those who just don't trust the common person to have a good sense of what is pleasure and what is too much. I'm glad alcohol prohibition (of most kinds) is gone, and I look forward to when we have the collective good sense and strength of collective character to repeal prohibition of all substances in favor of letting our own selves make our own choices like adults and good people do in their own natural course of being.

That's all.
Be well, all.
- NMF (2,698 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz./355ml bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA
Sep 1613
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a medium amber color. Much darker and more colorful than any American adjunct lager I have ever seen. The liquid was capped by a one-inch tall, tight, creamy, frothy, off-white crown that deposited thick, drippy lacing along the glass.

Crisp, dry, powdery, yeasty notes came out strong in the nose. There was a subtle, sweet bready malt presence as well. Pleasant and quite interesting for the style. Slightly grainy. As the beer warmed, a touch of floral hops became noticeable. The malty sweetness intensified as well.

The beer was amazingly flavorful for the style. Bready, biscuity malts came through strong on the front end. Tart and bright in the center with wheaty and lemony notes dominating. Dry, earthy hops were noticeable in the crisp and semi-bitter finish. With time, the flavor profile really intensified. Earthy, herbal hops and bready malts really made their presence known. Some floral hops appeared as well. Toward the beer's end, I swear I was also picking up some citrusy (orange peel?) hop notes. This really began tasting a lot more like an American amber ale than a typical adjunct lager.

The mouthfeel was super creamy, frothy and smooth. A fine, medium effervescence made the liquid feel slick on the palate.

Malts? Hops? Flavor? I am used to macro lagers being wimpy, fizzy beers, but this was a notable exception. Coors really came through big time with this "pre-prohibition style lager." I would love to see it offered in tall ball cans, perhaps taking a space alongside PBR, Narragansett and Schlitz at my local digs. (1,691 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a twisty into a schooner. A moderate pour (accelerated at the end) produces about 1/2 inch of snow-white foam that recedes almost immediately but sticks around to produce momentary swells of surf around the edges of the glass. The beer is lightly effervescent and a pale reddish-straw color- noticeably darker with less yellow than typical macrobrew.

My poor nose detects a noticeable beer aroma, which can't be said for certain nameless brands run amok...You can definitely taste some hops here- the slightly earthy bitter you might expect along with some mildly floral qualities suggestive of (??) and maybe even a tinge of grapefruit and canned oj (yummy). The mouthfeel combines with a pleasantly malty-citrusy aftertaste.

I'm wanting to compare this to other "retro-brews", or attempts thereof, and am definitely interested in how this recipe was conceived or discovered. It definitely has some hop flavor, beyond a mere kiss, and reminds me a bit of some "retro" styles out there, such as Olympia, Grain Belt, Schlitz, and regular ol' Coors. (1,061 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains and malts. Taste is crisp, grains, some malts, lightly hopped, not a lot going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall is not a bad beer, but at this price point you can do better. (281 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz from a six pack from local Mom and Pop convenience store, S.Salem $6.99. Slightly darker gold than usual for a pale lager..nice really,large frothy white head. Realtivly clean aroma or weak caramel,nuts, and weak resin hops. Taste is balanced, caramel,grassy hop and bread..not too bad really maybe a bit sweet. Hae to say i liked the mouthfeel of this ..it made me take big gulps and i am not thirsty..i can only imagine how fast this would go next week as i camp in the Oregon Dunes. A good lager (504 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -51.7%

This is the worst swill I've ever had. I bought a twelve pack, and the only -- O.N.L.Y. thing I can use this for is boiling brats! What utter dreck.

It is quite hoppy at first, but the finish has this - flavor - that reminds me of open sewage. It even "felt" to me as if there were "chunks" in it, even though I know it did not. It was possibly the worst experience I've ever had.

The twelve cost me $13 (a ripoff), and I feel bad because I just got done telling my wife that I would certainly be able to drink the entire twelve pack. But one taste and I poured the rest down the sink. (587 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint.

A: Cloudy, amber hue. Pours a 1 finger, foamy, white head. Settles fairly slowly. Pretty decent beer ring lacing.

S: Lots of malt, fresh tea leaf, and a little brown sugar.

T: Char-roasted malt grains. Peat and wood chips.

M: Hearty and full-bodied. Slightly bitter finish.

D: Savoring experience.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Decent head, and some pretty strong lacing. Nose is malty with a little tea and sugar. Peaty roasted malt flavor, accentuated with wood chips and a slight sweetness. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff. (574 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Ba Review #282
Served On: 06/29/2013
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: 5.5%
Date/ Code: -

This was a bottle from a sixer I picked up at the Red Roase bar in Hellam, PA.

Look: A clear watery straw consistency with no real color profile. This beer could probably define the word ‘pale’. The head was just a thin coating of white haze. There was some noticeable lacing when I tipped the glass.

Smell: Surprisingly no real skunk in the aroma. Besides that, not much of a nose. Sweet grainy corn and rice with a solvent chariter.

Taste: At first I got a crisp refreshing sensation followed by some metallic and corn notes. After about four sips it started tasting like water with a terrible dry metallic aftertaste. It was the same aftertaste I get with Yuengling Traditional Lager (which this probably could pass for if they added caramel coloring like Yuengling does).

I think the quality of this beer is relative to the situation. In my case it was the better of multiple evils, and it was hot out. If I were to have this beer at a bar or restaurant, it would certainly be a lot worse. (1,093 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -46.9%

I purchased a 6 pack of this thinking it was a local micro @ 10.00 a 6 pack I was robbed. Cracked open a cold one and had to do a double check. Is this beer or water. Oh its a Coors product. you would think that a company that has been in business as long as the big boys they would figure out how to create some beers. (319 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Seemed interesting, I only realized it was COORS when I opened it.
A-Golden yellow, nothing special
S-Smells like a typical Coors beer, metalic
T-Not something to remember
M-Again, standard Coors
O-I was not impressed, the guy at ABC Liquor was very excited, and sold me well, bastard! This is nothing different than the standard Coors crap from Walmart. (355 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I have become spoiled living in Michigan and all the great craft beers we have. I was pleasantly surprised to taste this decent craft style beer by one of the big boys, Coors. It isn't as lifeless as a Bud Light or Coors Light. There is an actual taste. Although the hop flavor is limited, it is there. It has a smooth taste and not bitter. I would drink it on a hot day when I don't want to be filled up. (405 characters)

3.5/5  rDev 0%

This beer reminds me that a domestic big name can still pull out a decent craft like beer.
The smell is somewhat weak, but the taste is very full and warm to the tongue. The carbonation on this one is on the high side, but compliments the after taste very well, making you want more. Not anything special just a great regular ol beer. Would prefer on a hot summer day sitting around the grill. Good from the bottle and glass. (425 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Buffalo Wild Wings. It pours a deep amber color with really, really nice clarity. A surprisingly long-lasting cap rests on top; bone-white in color and pretty frothy in appearance, it leaves a nice, solid sheet of lace around the top of the beer. All in all, a very nice beer to look at, especially when compared to something like a regular Coors beer.

My least favorite thing about the aroma is the lack of power all around. It's heavily subdued and muzzled, with only a slight twinge of grains, malt sweetness, and some faintly metallic, dry and musty Noble hops. Perhaps a hint of wheat in the finish... is this beer made with wheat? I didn't think it was, but I could be wrong. Nothing offensive here, except for the overall impotence.

The first sip reveals a decent amount of citrus spritz and lemon zest which is actually a welcomed addition. A backbone of grains is immediately appreciated; lightly sweet with a subtle hop bitterness that washes over everything. The hops are somewhat ashy and musty and even a touch "stale", so I'm sticking with my original guess of some type of Noble hop.

Again, I'm picking up a little bit of wheat from mid-palate into the finish - it's actually pretty soft and relaxing and works perfectly with the citrus. The beer is light bodied, but still noticeably heavier than the slew of other macro lagers that you'll typically find. A nice, crisp, dry finish from the lager yeast closes things out.

I'm impressed in the way that I didn't hate this like I was expecting to. It's not something I'd ever go out of my way to order again, but if given the choice between this and your typical Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. products, I'd take this in a heartbeat. Quaffable to the max, though I wish the nose were a bit more lively to say the least. (1,791 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance-Light amber with a white foam

Smell-Wheat with a slight aroma of medicinal red fruit.

Taste-Not overpowering but the best part of the beer. Mostly wheaty with nutty toffee.

Mouthfeel-Medium body without a very long finish

Overall-Like a fuller bodied Coors. Goes great with pizza and a game though. (313 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, lager yeast, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some malt & adjunct sweetness. Then a very mild hops presence comes in. The malt character is a bit heavier than most beers in the style and brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A bit flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, considering the style it’s not too bad but there are other similar beers that I would choose first. (800 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Batch 19 claims to be a pre-prohibition style lager, I guess that means it actually an amber.

The brews got a bold flavor and good presence, but lacks it a memorable pour of odor. I was overall happy with its taste, but am not of the opinion that it is one of the better ambers I've had. (289 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours to a rich white head and minimal lacing. Gold/amber color. Aroma is grass, earthy hops and sweet grains, some DMS. Flavor is sweet, corny, slightly malt and not quite balanced by the hops. Mouthfeel is not bad. On the intangibles, this beer works pretty well. The hop flavors are approaching APA levels and the flavors are strong, although it could stand to be a bit drier and less chewy for a lager that is not a bock or Marzen. (435 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Solid golden color with some off-white froth on top. Sweet, clean malt and grassy, spicy hop aromas. More noble-like hops in he mouth with some added floral character, sweet-ish cereal grain, hay, and fruity yeast. Pretty crisp and lightly bitter. Not too shabby all around, for what it is. (290 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Pours a clear gold with a thin, clinging white head. Head retention is surprisingly good. Only a modest amount of lace is present in the glass.

S: Subtle aromas of caramel, crackers, biscuits, lemon, lime, straw, and grass take some time to express themselves. If the aroma were a bit stronger, this would be a very inviting lager.

T: Notes of grass, straw, herbs, lemon, and lime from the Noble hops give way to grainy malt notes of honeycomb, biscuits, crackers, caramel, and white bread. The finish is clipped and dry with notes of honey, crackers, grass, herbs, and very mild citrus.

M: On the lighter side of medium in terms of body and initially waxy, though it dries out before the fade. Carbonation is not intense, which is very surprising, as most AALs are harsh and fizzy due to overcarbonation. Very easy to drink.

O: In the end, this is a good, refreshing lager. I really appreciate the fact that the flavor displays a bit of complexity and the body has some depth to it. I don't know how well this will go over with either beer geeks or BMC guzzlers, but this is far from a bad effort. Recommended to those with an open mind. (1,145 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

Coppery to light amber in color there was a great deal of carbonation. This carbonation built a quickly fleeting head and once it settled, gave a flat appearance.

The scent was weakly malted, slightly toasted and a bit stale.

The taste was a bit the same with some malty, roasted, nutty and grainy qualities. Somewhat bland but not much more than average this is not a ringing endorsement for bootleggers beer. (412 characters)

Enjoyed this beer on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in College Park, MD out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark golden hue with a wispy lace that quickly disappears.

S: Grain and malt aroma – searching for another scent but can’t find any..

T: Crisp and smooth flavor of grains and some hops - not a huge taste palate here.

M: Medium carbonation and medium body.

O: Just a decent lager – pretty forgettable. (410 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving: Bottle into pint glass
Served: January 2013

Going from memory here.

Appearance: Like your standard AAL- light, golden yellow; crystal clear; nice carbonation strings visible. A white head that sticks around longer than other beers of the style. Looks pretty tasty.

Smell: This is the one place where I think this beer could use some improvement. You obviously have the bready-sweet notes from the adjuncts in there, but they actually seem to clash a bit with the hops in there too. You can smell both and they don't really seem complimentary in this one- they seem competitive.

Taste: For an AAL this one is loaded with flavor. You can taste the light, bready notes from the malt, and the sweetness from the corn adds a touch of lightness to it. You can taste some nice hop notes in this one, compared to others in the style. I really like how this one tastes. It's easily the best AAL, in terms of taste, that I've had.

Mouthfeel: Light and spritzy, just like you'd expect.

Overall: This beer gets trashed for being a MillerCoors product, but honestly, this is a great beer. I don't care if A Brewer Who Shall Not Be Named makes it- they make a great interpretation of the style and should continue to do so. A refreshing drink with considerable more flavor that other beers of its family. I honestly believe that people rate this beer lower based on who makes it, and that in a blind taste test, this one would compete admirably with other of the best AALs. (1,474 characters)

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company