Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Batch 19Batch 19

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Reviews: 233 | Hads: 1,247
3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

Transparent, golden colored body topped with a nice, finger-thick head that hangs around for some time. Carbonation is abundant and lacing is impressive for the style!

Slightly sweet and heavy on wheat notes. A fair bit of malt and light grains. Every now and again, I'll catch some lemon peel.

Good! I honestly wasn't expecting much chracter, and I'm happy to report I was wrong. A nice, grainy body with some light cirtus notes. A decent amount of hop presence provides a light, crisp bitter bite. A nice, subtle spice is also noticable - mostly pepper.

Creamy, smooth, and refreshing! Crisp finish leaves you wanting more. Carbonation is off the charts. Light-bodied, this should please many.

A pleasant surprise! I had no idea Coors was capable of such a product. Easy to drink and refreshing. Everyone should go into this one with an open mind and prepare to be blown away because it's not just a good beer for a domestic brewery, it's just a good beer period.

3.19/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is slightly hazy amber yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface, a collar around the edge and some lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of toasted malts are present in the nose along with notes of grassy hops.
T: The initial taste has flavors of toasted malts and a bit of sweetness; this is followed by notes of grassy hops and hints of mineral water plus a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is a lot fuller bodied compared to other beers in the style and doesn't have any adjunct-like flavors.

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I remember the first time I bought Batch 19 at my local liquor store. I wasn't too sure what to expect but I'm glad I bought some. Coors outdid themselves when figuring out the brew of Batch 19. Not to mention the bottles are very neat. Near the cap there looks to be a fashioned groove that was most likely an assembly line feature used on beer bottles from then time.
Appearance-wise its a bit darker for a lager but definitely not a dark lager. More of a dark blackish brown color that pours rather smooth.
Smell-wise there's more of a malty bitter smell to it. Not a whole lot going on but it gives a sneak preview to what kind of beer it is.
Taste-wise its very bold, malty, smooth, and just rather tasty. Its nothing like Coors but at the same time I really like it. In my opinion I'd prefer it over a Bud Black Crown which is the prime competitor.
In your mouth its very smooth and solid. Won't kick you in the butt but lets you know its there.
Overall I really like Coors Batch 19. If beer in 1919 was really as tasty as that, I can see why prohibition was in force.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was impressed. It has the characteristic dry malt profile of a macro brew...no sweet lingering on the tongue. But the hops stand out. Reminds me of a lager I once brewed that got too warm and too attenuated. Needed months lagering to smooth it out.

Coors has made a solid beer here. If they can manage to avoid marking it up to craft beer prices, they could find themselves with a new hit. Just a few bucks more than a 12-pack of the Banquet would be perfect. The fancy bottles are nice too...shame they aren't pry-off!

3.06/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Crystal clear and pale gold. Nice full white head on top.

S: Somewhat typical of an American lager. There is some nice graininess, perhaps a little dry hay smell, and a touch of soil. There is just the slightest whiff of a grassy and herbal hop smell.

T: Grainy, at first, some light herbal flavors, as well as the dry hay flavor coming in. Not bad, but nothing amazing. There is a hint at hops in the finish.

M: Medium light, the carbonation actually seems a touch low for the style, however I can still feel a little bit of carbonic bite. The finish feels a little more rounded out rather than crisp.

O: Overall I think it is drinkable. It is an interesting departure from their regular beers, that just so happens to taste a lot like all their other beers, albeit slightly better.

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Style Lager pours a light orange color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a touch of spicy hops in the aroma, and sweet maltiness also is noticeable. Fairly good flavor (guess I wasn't expecting that) that starts with a sweet malt flavor and then some spicy hops make themselves noticeable. Much better than a typical macro American Adjunct Lager. The bottle says it is inspired by a pre-prohibition recipe.

3.46/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This is my first review, so let's go.

Batch 19 Pre-Prohibition Lager

...came for me in a 12 0z bottle, which I took out of a fridge and let sit for around 15 minutes, so I can't give you a proximate temperature, but it was cool to the touch, and if I had to guess, it was 40 degrees or something like that. Within that ballpark.

Poured slowly in to a tall pilsner glass, almost all poured in, about an inch and a half of healthy white head. Thick, soft, foamy, I guess that's most heads. But not like a stout head, so, typical, but sweet-looking, soft; A great thick head.

Plentiful bubbles, top 1/3 bubbles didn't stick to glass, they were the first to go, bottom 2/3 kept their hold on the side of the glass. Very clear, excitable bubbles, zigged and zagged as they rose, some light sediment trailed form the top to the bottom of the glass, a golden amber in color, something of a golden orange even. The head seemed to dissipate medium-quick.

The smell was citrusy, grassy, 'flat', 'creamy', and pleasing over-all. Not bad, not great, but good.

Tasting was pleasant, a nice thick mouthful was golden wheat-y, biscuity, light and citrusy leaning towards lemon, and there was some wooden/cork taste, nice, mildly acidic, going with the citrus there, and even a hint of what resembled cherry. The linger afterwards was a sharp 'high' acidic wood. This continued throughout its entirety as far as I could tell.

The mouthfeel was soft, middle-bodied, smooth and pillowy even, taking the lightness of your lager and appealing a little more to it's weight, it still felt fairly light and it's presence was half-felt, not like an IPA or something which will want to try to cinder block your palate and tongue. Again, middle to light, thinking of it now and looking at my notes.

Overall, over all, I liked it enough. I give this a B+.

*Special notes - the bottle has a great 'barrel notches' on the neck resembling the steel belts placed around barrels we are to associate with the 'olden days' of American brewing, true to the notion of 'prohibition'. As any good citizen knows, prohibition of any substance is immoral and an ill-conceived feint towards any sort of industry seeking to make money off of selfish and fearful standards by those who just don't trust the common person to have a good sense of what is pleasure and what is too much. I'm glad alcohol prohibition (of most kinds) is gone, and I look forward to when we have the collective good sense and strength of collective character to repeal prohibition of all substances in favor of letting our own selves make our own choices like adults and good people do in their own natural course of being.

That's all.
Be well, all.

4.43/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz./355ml bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA
Sep 1613
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a medium amber color. Much darker and more colorful than any American adjunct lager I have ever seen. The liquid was capped by a one-inch tall, tight, creamy, frothy, off-white crown that deposited thick, drippy lacing along the glass.

Crisp, dry, powdery, yeasty notes came out strong in the nose. There was a subtle, sweet bready malt presence as well. Pleasant and quite interesting for the style. Slightly grainy. As the beer warmed, a touch of floral hops became noticeable. The malty sweetness intensified as well.

The beer was amazingly flavorful for the style. Bready, biscuity malts came through strong on the front end. Tart and bright in the center with wheaty and lemony notes dominating. Dry, earthy hops were noticeable in the crisp and semi-bitter finish. With time, the flavor profile really intensified. Earthy, herbal hops and bready malts really made their presence known. Some floral hops appeared as well. Toward the beer's end, I swear I was also picking up some citrusy (orange peel?) hop notes. This really began tasting a lot more like an American amber ale than a typical adjunct lager.

The mouthfeel was super creamy, frothy and smooth. A fine, medium effervescence made the liquid feel slick on the palate.

Malts? Hops? Flavor? I am used to macro lagers being wimpy, fizzy beers, but this was a notable exception. Coors really came through big time with this "pre-prohibition style lager." I would love to see it offered in tall ball cans, perhaps taking a space alongside PBR, Narragansett and Schlitz at my local digs.

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a twisty into a schooner. A moderate pour (accelerated at the end) produces about 1/2 inch of snow-white foam that recedes almost immediately but sticks around to produce momentary swells of surf around the edges of the glass. The beer is lightly effervescent and a pale reddish-straw color- noticeably darker with less yellow than typical macrobrew.

My poor nose detects a noticeable beer aroma, which can't be said for certain nameless brands run amok...You can definitely taste some hops here- the slightly earthy bitter you might expect along with some mildly floral qualities suggestive of (??) and maybe even a tinge of grapefruit and canned oj (yummy). The mouthfeel combines with a pleasantly malty-citrusy aftertaste.

I'm wanting to compare this to other "retro-brews", or attempts thereof, and am definitely interested in how this recipe was conceived or discovered. It definitely has some hop flavor, beyond a mere kiss, and reminds me a bit of some "retro" styles out there, such as Olympia, Grain Belt, Schlitz, and regular ol' Coors.

3.36/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains and malts. Taste is crisp, grains, some malts, lightly hopped, not a lot going on. Feels light in the mouth and overall is not a bad beer, but at this price point you can do better.

3.34/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz from a six pack from local Mom and Pop convenience store, S.Salem $6.99. Slightly darker gold than usual for a pale lager..nice really,large frothy white head. Realtivly clean aroma or weak caramel,nuts, and weak resin hops. Taste is balanced, caramel,grassy hop and bread..not too bad really maybe a bit sweet. Hae to say i liked the mouthfeel of this ..it made me take big gulps and i am not thirsty..i can only imagine how fast this would go next week as i camp in the Oregon Dunes. A good lager

1.69/5  rDev -50.7%

This is the worst swill I've ever had. I bought a twelve pack, and the only -- O.N.L.Y. thing I can use this for is boiling brats! What utter dreck.

It is quite hoppy at first, but the finish has this - flavor - that reminds me of open sewage. It even "felt" to me as if there were "chunks" in it, even though I know it did not. It was possibly the worst experience I've ever had.

The twelve cost me $13 (a ripoff), and I feel bad because I just got done telling my wife that I would certainly be able to drink the entire twelve pack. But one taste and I poured the rest down the sink.

3.27/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint.

A: Cloudy, amber hue. Pours a 1 finger, foamy, white head. Settles fairly slowly. Pretty decent beer ring lacing.

S: Lots of malt, fresh tea leaf, and a little brown sugar.

T: Char-roasted malt grains. Peat and wood chips.

M: Hearty and full-bodied. Slightly bitter finish.

D: Savoring experience.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Decent head, and some pretty strong lacing. Nose is malty with a little tea and sugar. Peaty roasted malt flavor, accentuated with wood chips and a slight sweetness. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff.

2.12/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Ba Review #282
Served On: 06/29/2013
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: 5.5%
Date/ Code: -

This was a bottle from a sixer I picked up at the Red Roase bar in Hellam, PA.

Look: A clear watery straw consistency with no real color profile. This beer could probably define the word ‘pale’. The head was just a thin coating of white haze. There was some noticeable lacing when I tipped the glass.

Smell: Surprisingly no real skunk in the aroma. Besides that, not much of a nose. Sweet grainy corn and rice with a solvent chariter.

Taste: At first I got a crisp refreshing sensation followed by some metallic and corn notes. After about four sips it started tasting like water with a terrible dry metallic aftertaste. It was the same aftertaste I get with Yuengling Traditional Lager (which this probably could pass for if they added caramel coloring like Yuengling does).

I think the quality of this beer is relative to the situation. In my case it was the better of multiple evils, and it was hot out. If I were to have this beer at a bar or restaurant, it would certainly be a lot worse.

1.86/5  rDev -45.8%

I purchased a 6 pack of this thinking it was a local micro @ 10.00 a 6 pack I was robbed. Cracked open a cold one and had to do a double check. Is this beer or water. Oh its a Coors product. you would think that a company that has been in business as long as the big boys they would figure out how to create some beers.

2.78/5  rDev -19%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Seemed interesting, I only realized it was COORS when I opened it.
A-Golden yellow, nothing special
S-Smells like a typical Coors beer, metalic
T-Not something to remember
M-Again, standard Coors
O-I was not impressed, the guy at ABC Liquor was very excited, and sold me well, bastard! This is nothing different than the standard Coors crap from Walmart.

3.04/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I have become spoiled living in Michigan and all the great craft beers we have. I was pleasantly surprised to taste this decent craft style beer by one of the big boys, Coors. It isn't as lifeless as a Bud Light or Coors Light. There is an actual taste. Although the hop flavor is limited, it is there. It has a smooth taste and not bitter. I would drink it on a hot day when I don't want to be filled up.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

This beer reminds me that a domestic big name can still pull out a decent craft like beer.
The smell is somewhat weak, but the taste is very full and warm to the tongue. The carbonation on this one is on the high side, but compliments the after taste very well, making you want more. Not anything special just a great regular ol beer. Would prefer on a hot summer day sitting around the grill. Good from the bottle and glass.

3.2/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Buffalo Wild Wings. It pours a deep amber color with really, really nice clarity. A surprisingly long-lasting cap rests on top; bone-white in color and pretty frothy in appearance, it leaves a nice, solid sheet of lace around the top of the beer. All in all, a very nice beer to look at, especially when compared to something like a regular Coors beer.

My least favorite thing about the aroma is the lack of power all around. It's heavily subdued and muzzled, with only a slight twinge of grains, malt sweetness, and some faintly metallic, dry and musty Noble hops. Perhaps a hint of wheat in the finish... is this beer made with wheat? I didn't think it was, but I could be wrong. Nothing offensive here, except for the overall impotence.

The first sip reveals a decent amount of citrus spritz and lemon zest which is actually a welcomed addition. A backbone of grains is immediately appreciated; lightly sweet with a subtle hop bitterness that washes over everything. The hops are somewhat ashy and musty and even a touch "stale", so I'm sticking with my original guess of some type of Noble hop.

Again, I'm picking up a little bit of wheat from mid-palate into the finish - it's actually pretty soft and relaxing and works perfectly with the citrus. The beer is light bodied, but still noticeably heavier than the slew of other macro lagers that you'll typically find. A nice, crisp, dry finish from the lager yeast closes things out.

I'm impressed in the way that I didn't hate this like I was expecting to. It's not something I'd ever go out of my way to order again, but if given the choice between this and your typical Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. products, I'd take this in a heartbeat. Quaffable to the max, though I wish the nose were a bit more lively to say the least.

3.78/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance-Light amber with a white foam

Smell-Wheat with a slight aroma of medicinal red fruit.

Taste-Not overpowering but the best part of the beer. Mostly wheaty with nutty toffee.

Mouthfeel-Medium body without a very long finish

Overall-Like a fuller bodied Coors. Goes great with pizza and a game though.

3.06/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, lager yeast, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some malt & adjunct sweetness. Then a very mild hops presence comes in. The malt character is a bit heavier than most beers in the style and brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A bit flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, considering the style it’s not too bad but there are other similar beers that I would choose first.

3.36/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Batch 19 claims to be a pre-prohibition style lager, I guess that means it actually an amber.

The brews got a bold flavor and good presence, but lacks it a memorable pour of odor. I was overall happy with its taste, but am not of the opinion that it is one of the better ambers I've had.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours to a rich white head and minimal lacing. Gold/amber color. Aroma is grass, earthy hops and sweet grains, some DMS. Flavor is sweet, corny, slightly malt and not quite balanced by the hops. Mouthfeel is not bad. On the intangibles, this beer works pretty well. The hop flavors are approaching APA levels and the flavors are strong, although it could stand to be a bit drier and less chewy for a lager that is not a bock or Marzen.

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Solid golden color with some off-white froth on top. Sweet, clean malt and grassy, spicy hop aromas. More noble-like hops in he mouth with some added floral character, sweet-ish cereal grain, hay, and fruity yeast. Pretty crisp and lightly bitter. Not too shabby all around, for what it is.

3.69/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Pours a clear gold with a thin, clinging white head. Head retention is surprisingly good. Only a modest amount of lace is present in the glass.

S: Subtle aromas of caramel, crackers, biscuits, lemon, lime, straw, and grass take some time to express themselves. If the aroma were a bit stronger, this would be a very inviting lager.

T: Notes of grass, straw, herbs, lemon, and lime from the Noble hops give way to grainy malt notes of honeycomb, biscuits, crackers, caramel, and white bread. The finish is clipped and dry with notes of honey, crackers, grass, herbs, and very mild citrus.

M: On the lighter side of medium in terms of body and initially waxy, though it dries out before the fade. Carbonation is not intense, which is very surprising, as most AALs are harsh and fizzy due to overcarbonation. Very easy to drink.

O: In the end, this is a good, refreshing lager. I really appreciate the fact that the flavor displays a bit of complexity and the body has some depth to it. I don't know how well this will go over with either beer geeks or BMC guzzlers, but this is far from a bad effort. Recommended to those with an open mind.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company