Follow our progress ...

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Jason on 05-04-2010

Reviews: 241 | Ratings: 1,262
3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer reminds me that a domestic big name can still pull out a decent craft like beer.
The smell is somewhat weak, but the taste is very full and warm to the tongue. The carbonation on this one is on the high side, but compliments the after taste very well, making you want more. Not anything special just a great regular ol beer. Would prefer on a hot summer day sitting around the grill. Good from the bottle and glass.

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Buffalo Wild Wings. It pours a deep amber color with really, really nice clarity. A surprisingly long-lasting cap rests on top; bone-white in color and pretty frothy in appearance, it leaves a nice, solid sheet of lace around the top of the beer. All in all, a very nice beer to look at, especially when compared to something like a regular Coors beer.

My least favorite thing about the aroma is the lack of power all around. It's heavily subdued and muzzled, with only a slight twinge of grains, malt sweetness, and some faintly metallic, dry and musty Noble hops. Perhaps a hint of wheat in the finish... is this beer made with wheat? I didn't think it was, but I could be wrong. Nothing offensive here, except for the overall impotence.

The first sip reveals a decent amount of citrus spritz and lemon zest which is actually a welcomed addition. A backbone of grains is immediately appreciated; lightly sweet with a subtle hop bitterness that washes over everything. The hops are somewhat ashy and musty and even a touch "stale", so I'm sticking with my original guess of some type of Noble hop.

Again, I'm picking up a little bit of wheat from mid-palate into the finish - it's actually pretty soft and relaxing and works perfectly with the citrus. The beer is light bodied, but still noticeably heavier than the slew of other macro lagers that you'll typically find. A nice, crisp, dry finish from the lager yeast closes things out.

I'm impressed in the way that I didn't hate this like I was expecting to. It's not something I'd ever go out of my way to order again, but if given the choice between this and your typical Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. products, I'd take this in a heartbeat. Quaffable to the max, though I wish the nose were a bit more lively to say the least.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance-Light amber with a white foam

Smell-Wheat with a slight aroma of medicinal red fruit.

Taste-Not overpowering but the best part of the beer. Mostly wheaty with nutty toffee.

Mouthfeel-Medium body without a very long finish

Overall-Like a fuller bodied Coors. Goes great with pizza and a game though.

3.06/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, lager yeast, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some malt & adjunct sweetness. Then a very mild hops presence comes in. The malt character is a bit heavier than most beers in the style and brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A bit flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, considering the style it’s not too bad but there are other similar beers that I would choose first.

3.36/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Batch 19 claims to be a pre-prohibition style lager, I guess that means it actually an amber.

The brews got a bold flavor and good presence, but lacks it a memorable pour of odor. I was overall happy with its taste, but am not of the opinion that it is one of the better ambers I've had.

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours to a rich white head and minimal lacing. Gold/amber color. Aroma is grass, earthy hops and sweet grains, some DMS. Flavor is sweet, corny, slightly malt and not quite balanced by the hops. Mouthfeel is not bad. On the intangibles, this beer works pretty well. The hop flavors are approaching APA levels and the flavors are strong, although it could stand to be a bit drier and less chewy for a lager that is not a bock or Marzen.

3.48/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Solid golden color with some off-white froth on top. Sweet, clean malt and grassy, spicy hop aromas. More noble-like hops in he mouth with some added floral character, sweet-ish cereal grain, hay, and fruity yeast. Pretty crisp and lightly bitter. Not too shabby all around, for what it is.

3.69/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Pours a clear gold with a thin, clinging white head. Head retention is surprisingly good. Only a modest amount of lace is present in the glass.

S: Subtle aromas of caramel, crackers, biscuits, lemon, lime, straw, and grass take some time to express themselves. If the aroma were a bit stronger, this would be a very inviting lager.

T: Notes of grass, straw, herbs, lemon, and lime from the Noble hops give way to grainy malt notes of honeycomb, biscuits, crackers, caramel, and white bread. The finish is clipped and dry with notes of honey, crackers, grass, herbs, and very mild citrus.

M: On the lighter side of medium in terms of body and initially waxy, though it dries out before the fade. Carbonation is not intense, which is very surprising, as most AALs are harsh and fizzy due to overcarbonation. Very easy to drink.

O: In the end, this is a good, refreshing lager. I really appreciate the fact that the flavor displays a bit of complexity and the body has some depth to it. I don't know how well this will go over with either beer geeks or BMC guzzlers, but this is far from a bad effort. Recommended to those with an open mind.

3.03/5  rDev -11.4%

Coppery to light amber in color there was a great deal of carbonation. This carbonation built a quickly fleeting head and once it settled, gave a flat appearance.

The scent was weakly malted, slightly toasted and a bit stale.

The taste was a bit the same with some malty, roasted, nutty and grainy qualities. Somewhat bland but not much more than average this is not a ringing endorsement for bootleggers beer.

Enjoyed this beer on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in College Park, MD out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark golden hue with a wispy lace that quickly disappears.

S: Grain and malt aroma – searching for another scent but can’t find any..

T: Crisp and smooth flavor of grains and some hops - not a huge taste palate here.

M: Medium carbonation and medium body.

O: Just a decent lager – pretty forgettable.

3.79/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving: Bottle into pint glass
Served: January 2013

Going from memory here.

Appearance: Like your standard AAL- light, golden yellow; crystal clear; nice carbonation strings visible. A white head that sticks around longer than other beers of the style. Looks pretty tasty.

Smell: This is the one place where I think this beer could use some improvement. You obviously have the bready-sweet notes from the adjuncts in there, but they actually seem to clash a bit with the hops in there too. You can smell both and they don't really seem complimentary in this one- they seem competitive.

Taste: For an AAL this one is loaded with flavor. You can taste the light, bready notes from the malt, and the sweetness from the corn adds a touch of lightness to it. You can taste some nice hop notes in this one, compared to others in the style. I really like how this one tastes. It's easily the best AAL, in terms of taste, that I've had.

Mouthfeel: Light and spritzy, just like you'd expect.

Overall: This beer gets trashed for being a MillerCoors product, but honestly, this is a great beer. I don't care if A Brewer Who Shall Not Be Named makes it- they make a great interpretation of the style and should continue to do so. A refreshing drink with considerable more flavor that other beers of its family. I honestly believe that people rate this beer lower based on who makes it, and that in a blind taste test, this one would compete admirably with other of the best AALs.

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I can't believe my 400th review is a Coors product. A friend of mind had a few bottles of this in his fridge during a recent visit and encouraged me to take one home and try it. I'm glad I did. Not so much because it's a great beer, because it's not, but because I always enjoy trying new beers.

Nothing special in appearance, but not a thin weakly looking beer either. Amber straw color with little lace. The nose reeks of adjunct malt, but whatever. It's not offensive. It is what I thought it would be. The taste, however, is not too terribly bad. It's not great, or even all that good, but I've had far worse. Kinda funky tasting, but I blame the Coors beer yeast for that. Mouthfeel is actually worthwhile. Not too thin, and decently smooth.

On the whole, this is not a very good beer. But it's not the worst beer I've ever reviewed either. Not worthy of my 400th review, but whatever. I don't regret any of the 400 beers I've had en route to this moment. No reason to start now.

3.81/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: crystal amber body with a one finger white head and it leaves some lacing on the glass

Aroma: faint spicy hops; dough; not much else

Flavor: grassy, spicy hops, pink peppercorn, lightly roasted caramel, lightly toasted grains, flavors come together for a nice lager

Mouthfeel: super fine carbonation feel – like a flat fizz; soft wool like; soft pink peppercorn spice on the back; dry lightly toasted notes with a touch of spice on the aftertaste that linger;

To the Point: have to say I did not expect much from this product; after being tortured with that Third Shift crap – what else do you expect from the big beer companies trying to compete with the craft beer segment … a good beer … yeah right. Oh yeah, right! This is good. I will buy it again for sitting around the campfire up north.

3.67/5  rDev +7.3%

At first glance the box and bottles are very appealing. The "Pre-Prohibition" definitely sold me.

The beer itself is Good, not great, but definitely good. Taste is solid with a small but noticeable aftertaste that stays in the mouth for a minute. When poured into a glass the color is a nice golden amber, leaving a small brim that continues to stay as you drink.

Overall It's a good beer, I would recommend it to others who have not tried it and possibly will get it again! Thumbs up!

3.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into an old Budweiser shorty pilsner glass.

A pale amber body, with hints of chestnut brown throughout. Lots of stuck cola carbonation on the glass, and lots of fast rising carbonation also. Head forms with an incredibly milk formation, but is classic white and settles to a thin puck.

Hard to describe this nose. Light toasty caramel and popcorn like sweet. It smells like caramel popcorn which is kind of fun I must admit.

Palate comes with a very light body. Nearly crisp finish with a hint of quick sticky caramel. Sweetness follows on the tongue with a little bit of crackery malt sensations. Quite a good thirst quencher.

Overall this is a real interesting take on the style, quite memorable.

4.2/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Well I'll be....I'd heard rumors that if you went to the tap room at the Coors plant in Golden, CO, they actually had some really good small batch beers...available only there. I've always considered regular Coors beer watery and nearly taste-free--I'll take a PBR over all the macro-beers. This beer though is quite lovely, with a sweet malty nose and noticeable hops in the taste--like a good basic German or maybe more Czech, lager. Sweet, slightly corn, but extremely well balanced against the hops. I'm guessing this is about 25 IBUs or so, which is right in the running for Czech or German lagers. Clean palat-cleansing finish--a very satisfying session beer. If only NORMAL Coors were so good!

Proves too that pre-prohibition American lagers really were/are respectable, decent beers, which shouldn't be despised by the IPA-or-nothing crowds....

This really is a great beer, all the more for the fact that a macro-brewery made it...proving those guys really are capable of making delicious beers--if American consumers actually demanded them...

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I was quite surprised actually, have always enjoyed Coors over most American brews so perhaps it appealed to my taste buds easily.

The smell of the hops was very good and its overall taste was better than adverage. Will I purchase it again, only if my choices are poor.

I did like the shape of the bottle with the double ring around the neck, but it does nothing to enhance the quality of the beer.

Yes, I would recommend it, especially if you have not tried it already.

3.89/5  rDev +13.7%

a nice beer. Meets my standard "tastes like beer". I am not a fan of the strongly hopped flavors that are most prevalent today in "beer". This one tastes like a good beer, but could have a touch more strength in flavor.
It is good.

3.67/5  rDev +7.3%

Batch 19 is good, not great. I was expecting more from this "pre-prohibition" beer. It's a step above Coors Light for sure, but it's not as remarkable as the label would have you believe. I was expecting a higher ABV content as well. Overall, it's a good beer, but it's not noteworthy enough where I need to have it again.

2.59/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I did not like this beer. I gave it a chance. It reminds me of all the beers AB tries to get creative with. The aftertaste is always Bud. In this case the aftertaste was Coors Light. Take Coors Light, add some hops and some coloring and this is what you'll end up with.

3.1/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured a light brass hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured adjunct sweetness and a soft caramel.

The taste consisted of sweet malts, corn and a grassy hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall a decent flavorful adjunct lager.

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My brother-in- law likes to leave his mutt at my house when he goes out of town....this time his payment for dog sitting was 4- Batch 19 Pre Prohibition Lagers form Coors.
I must say that I did enjoy these...and wished he had not drank 2 from the six pack that was to be my payment.
It poured a nice golden hue-slightly lighter than what I remember the Third Shift Amber Lager being- and certainly more golden than Banquet or Coors light.
As it poured I coud see that the body was pretty much on par with what I feel a 5.5% beer should be...nice rounded mouth fill...
It tastes like a well made American style lager. Medium hop bitterness to match a full bodied malty sweetness....nothing very exciting but certainly better than most of the beer the American masses turn to.
I do have a hard time rating pale lagers as a whole. I feel they can be quite 2 dementional as a catagory....I rarely find any more complexity than varying degrees of malt sweetnes and where the bitterness enters the taste spectrum. I love to drink them, but as a whole find them fairly cliche....
With that being said, Batch 19 rates better than average.... 3.5

3.9/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Excellent copper brown. Is this really an adjunct? Very thin layer of lacing that is slightly off-white.

Smell: Caramel and slight fruit notes. Some berries or apple cider maybe.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very grassy in the head. Some fruity caramel malt follows. Finishes with more dry grass. Light-slightly medium body with nice crispness. Excellent dryness.

Overall: I'll be damned. Easily my favorite Coors product. This beer should stirs up nostalgic images of rugged, blue collar lunch breaks at the steel mill. I will be getting this again.

3.29/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Medium sized off white head settles into a nice lacing above a clear honey golden colored beer.

Very light aroma of lightly roasted caramel malts with just a hint of some hops along the edges.

A lighter tasting caramel malt grains with just a bit of some hops bittering going on with this Batch 19 beer.

A light dry aftertaste with a bit of the lightly roasted grains sticking around with this light to light medium bodied beer.

Not a heck of a lot going on here but still a vast improvement over the Beck's Sapphire I drank a bit ago.

3.86/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Am. lager for first warm days of spring this year.
A little malt, a little corn. mild yeast qualities. Kinda' standard, but solid and pleasing.
Dark for style, darker gold to bronze. Nice dense white head. Very clear.
Sharp prickly carbonation, creates full mouthfeel and softness. A little heavier body than is standard for style.
Heavier malt flavor for style. A touch of sweetness. Adjunct more hidden than in the aroma. Clear hop flavors (a little spicy and herbal) and smooth transition to the bitterness, which lingers through a long rather dry finish.
A bigger tasting and fuller richer lager than typical.

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company