Batch 19 - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-04-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch 19 Alström Bros
Reviews: 231 | Hads: 1,237
4.2/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Well I'll be....I'd heard rumors that if you went to the tap room at the Coors plant in Golden, CO, they actually had some really good small batch beers...available only there. I've always considered regular Coors beer watery and nearly taste-free--I'll take a PBR over all the macro-beers. This beer though is quite lovely, with a sweet malty nose and noticeable hops in the taste--like a good basic German or maybe more Czech, lager. Sweet, slightly corn, but extremely well balanced against the hops. I'm guessing this is about 25 IBUs or so, which is right in the running for Czech or German lagers. Clean palat-cleansing finish--a very satisfying session beer. If only NORMAL Coors were so good!

Proves too that pre-prohibition American lagers really were/are respectable, decent beers, which shouldn't be despised by the IPA-or-nothing crowds....

This really is a great beer, all the more for the fact that a macro-brewery made it...proving those guys really are capable of making delicious beers--if American consumers actually demanded them... (1,053 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I was quite surprised actually, have always enjoyed Coors over most American brews so perhaps it appealed to my taste buds easily.

The smell of the hops was very good and its overall taste was better than adverage. Will I purchase it again, only if my choices are poor.

I did like the shape of the bottle with the double ring around the neck, but it does nothing to enhance the quality of the beer.

Yes, I would recommend it, especially if you have not tried it already. (473 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +11.5%

a nice beer. Meets my standard "tastes like beer". I am not a fan of the strongly hopped flavors that are most prevalent today in "beer". This one tastes like a good beer, but could have a touch more strength in flavor.
It is good. (231 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +5.2%

Batch 19 is good, not great. I was expecting more from this "pre-prohibition" beer. It's a step above Coors Light for sure, but it's not as remarkable as the label would have you believe. I was expecting a higher ABV content as well. Overall, it's a good beer, but it's not noteworthy enough where I need to have it again. (322 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I did not like this beer. I gave it a chance. It reminds me of all the beers AB tries to get creative with. The aftertaste is always Bud. In this case the aftertaste was Coors Light. Take Coors Light, add some hops and some coloring and this is what you'll end up with. (269 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured a light brass hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured adjunct sweetness and a soft caramel.

The taste consisted of sweet malts, corn and a grassy hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall a decent flavorful adjunct lager. (318 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My brother-in- law likes to leave his mutt at my house when he goes out of town....this time his payment for dog sitting was 4- Batch 19 Pre Prohibition Lagers form Coors.
I must say that I did enjoy these...and wished he had not drank 2 from the six pack that was to be my payment.
It poured a nice golden hue-slightly lighter than what I remember the Third Shift Amber Lager being- and certainly more golden than Banquet or Coors light.
As it poured I coud see that the body was pretty much on par with what I feel a 5.5% beer should be...nice rounded mouth fill...
It tastes like a well made American style lager. Medium hop bitterness to match a full bodied malty sweetness....nothing very exciting but certainly better than most of the beer the American masses turn to.
I do have a hard time rating pale lagers as a whole. I feel they can be quite 2 dementional as a catagory....I rarely find any more complexity than varying degrees of malt sweetnes and where the bitterness enters the taste spectrum. I love to drink them, but as a whole find them fairly cliche....
With that being said, Batch 19 rates better than average.... 3.5 (1,137 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: Excellent copper brown. Is this really an adjunct? Very thin layer of lacing that is slightly off-white.

Smell: Caramel and slight fruit notes. Some berries or apple cider maybe.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very grassy in the head. Some fruity caramel malt follows. Finishes with more dry grass. Light-slightly medium body with nice crispness. Excellent dryness.

Overall: I'll be damned. Easily my favorite Coors product. This beer should stirs up nostalgic images of rugged, blue collar lunch breaks at the steel mill. I will be getting this again. (553 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Medium sized off white head settles into a nice lacing above a clear honey golden colored beer.

Very light aroma of lightly roasted caramel malts with just a hint of some hops along the edges.

A lighter tasting caramel malt grains with just a bit of some hops bittering going on with this Batch 19 beer.

A light dry aftertaste with a bit of the lightly roasted grains sticking around with this light to light medium bodied beer.

Not a heck of a lot going on here but still a vast improvement over the Beck's Sapphire I drank a bit ago. (539 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Am. lager for first warm days of spring this year.
A little malt, a little corn. mild yeast qualities. Kinda' standard, but solid and pleasing.
Dark for style, darker gold to bronze. Nice dense white head. Very clear.
Sharp prickly carbonation, creates full mouthfeel and softness. A little heavier body than is standard for style.
Heavier malt flavor for style. A touch of sweetness. Adjunct more hidden than in the aroma. Clear hop flavors (a little spicy and herbal) and smooth transition to the bitterness, which lingers through a long rather dry finish.
A bigger tasting and fuller richer lager than typical. (613 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a nice medium golden brown, clear, with some carbonation visible. A lot of foamy head on this that sticks around for a while, and never disappeares completely.

S: Pretty light on the smell. Some malt and bread aromas, but not a lot here.

T: Unlike the smell, there is a lot going on here. Has a nice malty, bread taste, complimented by a very nice hint of slight hoppy bitterness, and finishing with a moderate sweetness. Really very nice.

M: Mouthfeel also very good. Medium-bodied, slightly sticky, with just the right amount of carbonation.

O: I didn't realize until I brought this home that it was brewed by Coors, at which point I became quite skeptical. But this was a very nice surprise. The taste has a great amount of complexity and balance, and they nailed the mouthfeel. I could definitely see myself buying this again sometime. (852 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -16%

Pours a five finger white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Almost clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Sweet bread nose, flavor is bread and grass, malty sweet, hints of hops at finish. $1.99 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, MA. (288 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

As a craft brew drinker I had my doubts about this beer. However, I will admit this was actually a very drinkable beer. Nice deep golden color with an herbal biscuit aroma. The right balance of hops and malt. Notes of caramel come through in the finish. This one was actually a good all around beer for me. If this is the beer they had during prohibition then the guys who broke the law to carry it have my salute of approval. (426 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -15.8%

Had this on draft poured into a special Batch 19 glass.

Dark to amber color in appearance, smell of hops and not much else. Taste was actually kind of plain which I was surprised about. Can definetly taste the hops but not much else. Good carbination as well, slight bitter after tatse but not overwhelming.

This beer was just OK I would drink it again but all of the things I have heard about it, and the hype around it I expected alot more it was just a regular beer. It is worth a try and it is a great attempt by Coors to branch out. (541 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Visually comes off glowing amber golden hued with flowing off white rocky textured head, thick bubbles forming as it settles down. Thick bands of lace settle along the sides of my glass, quite a nice looking brew from the folks at Coors. Aroma has a lingering citric, grassy hop nose amongst a clean mix of grain perceived sweetness, let the hops shine in this supposed recipe pre-prohibition 1919 lager. Definitely a nice smelling mix of barley, corn husks, cereal grains with hop appreciation showing some love from the bottles label it says strisselspalt and hersbrucker German hops. The alcohol weighs in pretty heavy in the flavor at first but settles into a mix of semi sweet bready grains and bitter green hoppy citrus rind and grassy accents. Not the best American brewed lager lingering flavors that don't work are bitterness from an almost plastic or burnt bread crust carbon flavor that I'm just not appreciating. Overall mouthfeel has ample carbonation but is a bit harsh with those lingering qualities that stick with you between sips, not a beer I'm looking to consume on a regular basis. (1,102 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Odd shaped twist off bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours out a deep golden to copper color with 2 fingers worth of white head off the pour that fades to a retentive ring. Pretty good lacing. Good clarity, but not really that crystal clear body you usually find in an adjunct lager. Maybe the best adjunct lager I've ever seen as far as looks go.

Clean, mineral water lager yeast, and hints of sweet grain. Maybe a slight hint of toasted grain.

Clean and a fairly good flavor for an adjunct lager. Sweet, lightly toasted grains, mineral lager yeast, and just enough of a faint hop to call this balanced.

Light bodied, but not at all watery like every other adjunct lager I've had. Same goes for the carbonation.

Very drinkable, quenches the thirst on a hot day. Definatly one of the better adjunct lagers I've had, but that's still not saying much. Would I buy it again, NO. (884 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Purchased from the local supermarket $7.07 for a sixer. Poured from bottle to pint glass. BBD: JUN 10 13.

Appearance: Honey-like golden amber, you can see right through this stuff. 1.5 finger head that dwindles down to a very thin surface layer of bubbles. light lacing.

Smell: Nothing offensive, I get sweet malt notes on the nose, Don't get the metallic or skunky aromas that others have noted. There really just isn't much here.

Taste: Slight hop bite upfront. Not bitter hops like in some american pale ales or IPAs but a light hop flavor that seamlessly twists into a moderately sweet wood-like finish on the back of your tongue. Not cloying like i feared it would be. finishes crisp.

Mouthfeel: This is what Coors did really well with this beer. Not too light, not too heavy, not overly carbonated nor under carbonated. It rolls right down your throat begging you to down a little more. (awesome for the style)

overall: I went into this beer with little in the way of expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Not saying this could be my go to beer because the style isn't really my first choice, but for what this is, It's pretty damn good. Not a bad value for the price (you could easily do much worse) I'll end this review saying: If you haven't tried batch 19 its worth a go, It could surprise you like it has me. Will I have it again? I will at least have 5 more as they are in my fridge. It's sure as shit not drain pour material.

CHEERS (1,456 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - dark copper with a thin, fluffy head that has solid retention

S - grains and grass

T - grains, grassy, mildly bitter finish

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This is definitely one of the best adjunct lagers that I have ever had. It has a pronounced hop character. It doesn't have any of the off flavors that plague the style like apples, metal, and the intensely sweet grains. It also has a tremendous mouthfeel that isn't grossly over carbonated as many macros can be. I could definitely sit down with a few of these and enjoy a game or family outting. (563 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Golden with accents of amber and light brown. Has a very clean clear look which to me just looks like it lacks some body. Slightly below average to average carbonation throughout.

Smell: Slightly sweet malt with a funky hop presence. Touches of amber, wheat, molasses, and prairie grass. Lacks a resounding presence though.

Taste: Crisp hop front. Some malt and yeast in the body which lack distinction. All flavors fade on the back half of this beer and leave almost nothing on the palette. Watery feeling is the lasting image left from this beer.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery.

Overall: Its not bad but not something I would go back to. Still has that big beer adjunct taste which I just cannot get past. But this beer is a step forward over their other products which shows some hope for the future. (816 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This review was based on the beer within its style that is why it is higher than it would be if I were comparing it to craft beers.

A-Dark gold with thick off white head that lasts longer than expected and leaves some decent lacing

S-very muted, but kind of musty and generic

T-Malty with a hint of hops-it seems kind of soapy and slightly musty

M-very thick for the style and not as much carbonation as usual which is great

D-very drinkable beer indeed

Overall, this is considerably better than your typical American Adjunct Lager. Its much more flavorful and fuller bodied. You could definitely do worse. (612 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I found this at Sal's Liquors in Addison, IL for $8.99 a 6 pack. Never heard of this Coor's product before, so picked it up more out of curiosity than anything else. 12oz brown bottles with no freshness date.

The beer pours a perfectly clear gold color with a big 4-finger white head that lasts awhile and leaves lots of nice lacing.

Some grain and some grass in the aroma, but overall not much of a smell.

It has a crackery malt base with a little corn sweetness to it along with a mild bitter hop bite.

Between light and medium in body with medium carbonation.

A decent effort from Coors. (595 characters)

I'll cut to the chase here...

Coors took that bitter craft beer taste and made it drinkable. You can pound about 2 or 3 of these and not feel bloated or heavy like many crafts do. Coors found a way to commercialize the craft taste. So if you are in the mood for that more bitter beer, this is a great way to go. Don't let the beer snobs on here fewl you. (355 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this at the Texas Roadhouse in York, served chilled in a pint.

The color is an apricot shade with light haze and thin white cap, retention is good. The smell is very gentle with mild malt sweetness and subtle floral hop aspects with a light spice ester. The feel is good with mild sweetness crisp medium bodied moderate carbonation and semi-dry finish.

I like the flavor while it has a slight pils sweetness it also has an herbal hop flavor which adds to the malt profile with a dry finish it is a pretty drinkable lager (532 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, best before 6/10/2013. Pours fairly crystal clear golden straw color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a lot of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of pear, apple, lemon, floral, grass, bready grain, cracker, light pepper, and yeast esters. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of malt, hop, and yeast esters; decent strength. Taste of lemon, apple, pear, floral, grass, bread, light pepper, cracker, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of light fruits, floral, grass, bread, cracker, and earthiness on the finish for a bit. Pleasant flavors with good balance of malt and hop flavors; with no cloying flavors present after the finish. Slight grainy astringency, but not bad. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth and crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a good pale lager. Good malt/hop flavor balance; and very smooth to drink. A pleasantly enjoyable offering. (1,115 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've been looking for a good drinkable/poundable lager for a long time (and NO, Guinness 'Black' is not the answer). Ales are too heavy in %alc, flavor and calories/carbs. This lays between a light pilsner and a run of the mill ale.

I got this by accident. If I'd seen it was a Coors product I'da left it on the shelf (I do drink Coors Light). Glad I didn't.

I poured it into an original old school Coors pilsner glass. The color is perfect, just golden amber brown and translucent.

the bubbles are fine and consistent. But not as fine as Guinness 'Draught'. It is not over carbonated either. Has perfect carbonation imo. You'd have to really screw up to get an overflowing head in a glass.

The flavor is rich with hops being the most notable flavor and then a floral/aromatic/sweet-ish flavor.

The after taste is subtle and good. This beer sips great 'til the last drop. Not sour or bitter. I did mention 'sweet', but NOT like a MGD.

I drink it from the bottle or poured into a glass. At 5.5% it's stouter than light pilsners, but much much tastier. This is a good dinner beer as it doesn't bloat.

I like this more than Guinness "Black". I will never buy Guinness "Black" again, but if you have a 'fridge or cooler full of it, I will pound it down.

However, it's a bit pricey considering its origin. (1,313 characters)

Batch 19 from Coors Brewing Company