Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Dubbel |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: thornside on 11-03-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 535 | Hads: 1,536
3.93/5  rDev +28%

Picked up a 6 pack at Kroger. Have had BM's Pale Ale before, liked it and thought I'd give this a try. This beer was called Winter Ale before and now is known as Full Moon.

A- Poured into a tall glass. Nice off-white head that stayed around for awhile, pretty good lacing. Color was a clear orange.

S- Smells of lightly roasted malts and an almost fruity aroma.

T- Kind of sweet taste, not unpleasant, not light but not heavy either. The roasted malts hit on the finish, slightly bitter but not bad.

M- I like the mouth feel of this beer, not as thick as a cream stout but a nice velvety feel. Very pleasing.

D- Very easy to drink. With an ABV of 5.6 a 6 pack is all I would need.

I must admit I almost didn't buy this beer. I was expecting a thin watery sweet beer with a nice wintery label. Although not my favorite overall this is a nice refreshing beer for a winter warmer, if you want to call it that. But this is a nice change from my thick stouts in the winter. I'll buy it again. (993 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +27.7%

Twelve ounce bottle freshness dated to april 2012:

Pours copper colored body with beige head. Head lasted about thirty seconds and completely dissapears. No lacing whatsover. Aroma is slightly grainy. Flavour is sweet. Poorly carbonated and leaves an odd sweet aftertaste. (273 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +27.4%

A - Very dark reddish brown color. Nice creamy head on it.

S - Nice malt smell. Nothing really overpowering though.

T - Really rich malty flavor. Almost tastes like a hint of chocolate at the end.

M - Nice medium body, very smooth.

D - Really nice easy drinking beer. I wouldn't mind a few more of these. Great winter ale. (326 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26.4%

Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale has a thin, creamy, beige head and a dark ruby red appearance with little streaming bubbles and a decent amount of lacing. The aroma is sweet tea, clean water, and not a lot else. Taste is of brown bread, white wheat, caramel, toffee, medium-roasted barley malt, brown sugar, and molasses, with a touch of bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale finishes semi-dry, crisp, and relatively easy drinking. Overall, this is very good.

RJT (506 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26.4%

One finger head that was gone in a few seconds, rats. Nice bubble ring left with some clinging lacing. Color is a 26 on the SRM beer color chart. Smell is sweet, with aromas of molasses, vanilla, caramel, roasted wheat, and malt. Flavors are mild hints of caramel, chocolate, toffee, coffee, and malt. Flavors change with each taste. Nice body, lots of fullness, and creaminess. I really like the flavor, but being it is seasonal, I won't try to make it a staple. (463 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26.4%

Poured gently into a glass tumbler it produces a small white head with slight lacing. The color is amber-brown. There is a slight aroma of earthy hops, and the taste is mildly malty, mildly sweet with ... um ... mild hops. A mild brew, but nice.

The carbonation is fair with a smooth to medium feel.

Drinkable, but it does not stand out. (339 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +26.4%

I'm not sure I am reviewing the right beer. Blue Moon Full Moon is the winter seasonal for Blue Moon. It is a completely new recipe and new beer from last years winter. I guess we have kind of combined the two of them on this website. This year's version is an abbey ale. The appearance is amber and strong with little smell. The taste, however, is strong, dark, and sugary. Very nice on the palate. The mouthfeel is as good as it gets, the perfect thickness and I could drink a lot more of these than I could most Abbey Ales. (526 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +26.1%

Is this any different from their winter ale from years past, Full Moon? I don't know why the switch, but it's all good by me. Blue Moon does certain things right, and winter ale is at the top of that list.

A nice, mild copper color, nice, mild caramel taste, and a nice, mild head. The foam is a little thin, but it works well with the beer.

I liked Full Moon better, but I think mostly because of the name. It's not fun to say abbey ale. (440 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +25.7%

I saw this beer when i was at the Liquor store the other night at was admitedly hesitant, since I wasn't at all a fan of the Blue Moon Harvest Moon (which I think i expected to much from). The guy at the store said it was a great beer (having had the same experience I did with the Harvest) so I gave it a try.
Appearance: Had a amberish color to it with a relatively small head
Smell: wasn't anything to special, but there was a bit of fruitiness to it
Taste: Much better than I was expecting. it was not at all bitter, and I found there was a nice sweetness to it.
Mouthfeel/Drinkablitiy: Not overly carbonated making it easy to drink. There was not any lingering bad taste in my mouth when the beer was gone. (711 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25.4%

Appearance: Standard copper and brown. Pretty syrupy with some good tannish foam. Not terribly carbonated.

Smell: Molasses or brown sugar. Some faint hints of spice as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: A very complex taste. Starts off with brown sugar and molasses and finishes (as advertised) with toffee. It's almost like the ingredients mix in your mouth over time and transform into complex candy by the end. Definitely some hops, but it's not too bitter. I also get some signature citrusy flavors in the end that you would find in a wheat beer. Not terribly thick, but goes down almost like root beer or hot tea in a weird way.

Drinkability: Very, very refreshing winter beer. Goes great with any sort of appetizers or any other part of a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal.

Overall: I think I like this better than Belgian White to be honest. I'd never seen it before and would like some more! (888 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25.4%

sampled from bottle, poured into blue moon pint glass.

A - pours an attractive reddish-brown with a thin, cream colored head that had moderate retention and decent lacing throughout.

S - smells of roasted malt prominent; smells like a good winter beer.

T - roasted malts are evident, as well as a cleverly hidden note of cream. not as robust as some other beers in the style.

M - great mouthfeel, proper carbonation, no real issues here.

D - good. i am reviewing this off of the first one from the six pack i purchased earlier, and plan on having a couple more before the night is up.

Overall - while it is not the most robust winter-style beer i have experienced, it has a great mouthfeel and a better than average drinkability (for the style). definitely worth a try. (775 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +25.4%

A: Pours a copper color with about a half finger of off white head that quickly goes away.

S: Very malty. Caramel with a bit of chocolate.

T: Follows the smell with the caramel malt along with some wheat. A bit of bitterness in the after taste.

M: Medium with some noticeable carbonation.

D: Good for a winter night.

This beer was better than I'd expected. I didn't have very high hopes for it but it turned out to be pretty solid. (436 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$5.97 a sixer.

A friend and I got shot down at Shop and Save tonight. So we went to a gas station where they gladly would sell. Got 4 six packs. 2 of these bad boys and 2 blue moons.

A - Wow. Its alot ruddier than I expected. Its dark brownish red. Pretty. Nice little slick white ring of white at the top. Clean. Not murky at all.

S - Not much of a smell. Its smelled like sugary malty sweetness.

T - Sweet not over the top. Easy to drink. Not a high alcohol taste. Super easy to drink but sweet nonetheless.

M - Slippery and lower carbonation.

D - Fairly easy to drink. I dont know how it would rate against the others I have rated. Its good but were gonna see how far we get. I reviewed on beer #1. Like im suppost to.

I think I rated this fair for what it is. (775 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +24.8%

This is a very interesting beer from Blue Moon Brewing Company. It retained its flavors nicely through a few months of cellaring.

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into the only glass I could find at the time, similar to a stein mug. Left about a finger width of lacing. Label had a good description of beer, which was nice to read about the ingredients. Freshness date of April 4, 2911. No ABV listed.

Appearance: Poured a nice reddish brown with a substantial head that simmered down to a complete foam but no swirling. Noticeable carbonation streaming fro bottom to top, which was nice to see this late in its freshness life.

Smell: Heavy on the caramel and toffee, which the label clued me in to, definitely non-offensive.

Taste: The taste was very unique, and was a lot different than I expected. The caramel was noticeable up front, with the toffee shining through in the finish. Malts were noticeable throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium body without much crispness of carbonation. There was a hint, which leads me to think that there might be more earlier in the beer's life.

Drinkability: I would definitely buy it again. Went well with some Costa Rican food, especially a rice and beans dish. (1,208 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +24.1%

Like most selections from the Blue Moon Brewing Co., this is a pretty good beer. A wonderful seasonal variety that's definitely worth a try. The distinct taste of Belgian sugar definitely stands out, and a nice combination of oily-sweetness dominates this brew. Although released in the late fall/early winter, I would enjoy this drink year 'round. It is definitely worth a try if you are a fan of Blue Moon and winter varieties. The candied sweetness lingers on your tongue after one or two beers. Can be enjoyed with just about anything... especially sweets. I really liked this beer... (588 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +24.1%

This is the first Blue Moon I've tried. I see it all over the place but always figured it was simply the typical big brewery beer but after seeing it recommended by several readers and several stores I decided to buy a 6 pack tonught and was pleasently surprized!
Poured a very nice golden honey color with a 1 finger head that pretty much disappeared after a few sips.
Light to medium lacing that stuck around for most of the drink.
Light carbonation that quickly disappeared off the back of the tongue.
Smell was very light, as I expected,of spices and hops.
Tastes of citrus and some spices but nothing really stood out.
Actually a very good beer for the price and one worth trying. Definately could drink quite a few at a sitting, although I'll prefer Sam Adams or Anchor if I have a choice. (795 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +23.8%

Date on bottle: APR0608 I assume this is the sell by.
Batch # ??? 110 57 N B Brown Bottle

Pours medium amber, decent head, fair retention and minimal lacing. Odeur of roasted malt, brown sugar, petunia blossoms and just a hint of cooked veggies. This ale is quite tasty, an amalgamtion of sweetish malty flavors, vanilla and cherries, mildly bitter hop profile. Good mouthfeel and very good drinkability.

Not a good example of the style but certainly an enjoyable one...regardless of the brewer.

EDIT:
Date: APR2708
Batch: 12737NA Bottle dark(er) brown

When I first wrote this review, it was really quite a pleasant experience, I liked it a lot but something is dramitically different (for the worse) with this batch. I've felt compelled to write this edit because this batch ( I guess thats what the # means) is borderline undrinkable..literally needs to go down the drain. I'm not changing my #'s because this has to be the fluke..it is that bad.

Appearance is decent enough... Pronounced smell of cooked vegetables, taste is astringent, unpleasant aftertaste. Where in the hell was QA? A big company like Coors should have better control than this, something had to have gone wrong. Completely unlike the beer in my other review. The bottle is even a different color, a darker shade of brown. The style of the #'s was different...Does Coors brew this stuff in different places?

I now understand why reviews were all over the place. (1,441 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +23.8%

Bought a six pack of this at the corner because I have never seen it before and the picture on the case pretty much sums up the feeling I want to get when I drink a winter beer. I want it to give me the feeling like I'm next to a roaring fire in a cabin, snowed in in the mountains.

It tastes pretty good for a product of Coors. I think they dialed in the brown sugar taste just right. It's not overpowering by any means. These go down nice and smooth, bringing out some nice holiday flavors and sweetness. No hoppy bitterness in this brew and I like that since there is no room for bitterness around Christmas time. (617 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +23.8%

12 oz. bottle in a snifter glass.

A - Nice dark brown almost like Coke or Pepsi. Thick light brown head that stays for a while.

S - Good sweet malty aroma.

T - Light and smooth. The malts are very present. Almost creamy, leaves a nice coating in your mouth.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - I like this a lot. I know the reveiws aren't as good as this overall but I like it. (392 characters)

A well rounded beer!

Darker amber, nice large head.
Smells of malts, maybe roasted malts and some yummy spice.

Tastes like roasted malts and spices, somewhat of a Christmas spice feel to it.

Nice carbonation!

I enjoy this beer and would buy it again. (254 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +23.8%

I found this in my car one day after driving all my buddies to the liquor store. Anyways, I'll give it a whirl. A freshness date of April 17, 2007 is printed on the bottle.

Appearance: dark copper-amber color with about a 3/4" head off the pour; looks tempting
Smell: caramel, coffee flavored ice cream; those are the two most dominant smells
Taste: coffee flavored ice cream is very prevalent, a nice sweetness to this beer; i can't sense any hops; overall, a good, unique flavor for a beer
Mouthfeel: light to medium bodied
Drinkability: decent, a little sweet for another right away, but very tempting for drinking one a night

Overall, I was impressed with this beer. It's not very balanced, but still delicious. This is the best beer I've drank from Coors, ever. (776 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +23.1%

***I reviewed this as simply a winter seasonal beer, not a dubbel. I had no idea it was supposed to be a dubbel.***

Rich garnet body and a really nice, creamy cap. Clear with good bubbles streaming.

Sweet and bready malts offer an inviting aroma.

Flavor same as aroma, with a nearly all-malt profile. Slight toffee, fruit, dough, and a little bit of herbal hop bite in the finish. Light bodied and smooth.

Easy, enjoyable drinking winter beer! Love the lack of holiday spices and high ABV. Pretty surprised by how good this is. (531 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +23.1%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Deep brown amber coloring with a tad bit of head. The perfect coloring for a beer.

S- Very hoppy scent with a slight hint of malts and spices.

T- Tastes as hoppy as it feels. Definitely has a kick to it, which is something I think is good in this style. A slight malt taste, but not much.

M- Very bitter and dry as to be expected with a beer this hoppy.

D- Can probably only drink a couple of these in a sitting. A little too bitter for it to be a session beer. (514 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +22.8%

Lovely reddish color with a moderate head that dissipate rather quickly in the glass.

Fruity and caramel in the nose. The fruit seems malt derived (e.g., something like special b) rather than yeast derived. Taste and aroma are devoid of yeast complexity. Rather sweet in the mouth. Silky mouthfeel.

As an abbey ale imitator, this is not close to the mark. It works better as an "Irish" red ale; as a representative of that style, I'd prefer it to Coors' Killian product and most other beers that are marketed as an "Irish" red. (529 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +22.8%

Tonight I had Blue Moon's Full Moon and I believe it is actually the same recipe for the Abbey Ale I enjoyed many years ago.

It pours a clear reddish-orange and is topped by a thin ivory head. Smells lightly spicy and fruity.

It tastes lightly metallic. Some candy sugar flavor, some estery flavors. Is a bit sticky in the mouth but finishes cleaner than you would expect.

Don't expect your typical Belgian abbey but it's pretty good stuff. (443 characters)

Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale from Coors Brewing Company