Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Dubbel |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: thornside on 11-03-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 534 | Hads: 1,535
1.22/5  rDev -60.3%

I can honestly say this is one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. It was thin and had an artificial taste like I was drinking cold runny maple syrup. Also, the smell seemed to linger long after the beer was gone. It was not a pleasent experience, whicb is a suprise, because I am fond of the regular Blue Moon. This however was not a good effort. I would avoid this beer. (375 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -52.4%

Appearance: Clear bronze. Thin dirty white head. Minimal Lace.

Aroma: Very sweet. Not a lot of depth. Artificial.

Taste/MF: In a word, Artificial. I had beers that taste artificial. Like a bunch of extract was dumped in. Vanilla. Cherry. Something like that. Very sweet overall impression. Medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: Going through one was tough. Now I've got 5 left. What to do with those... I hate when this happens. (454 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured as a straw-caramel color with nearly no head that went away almost as quickly as it was served to me. It leaves behind what can best be described as a soapy film on the glass.

Smell was very hard to distinguish - somewhat of a mixture between citrus and coriander (very light aromas). Definitely didn't whet my appetite any for this brew.

The taste was basically corn, some spices, some citrus, and a bit of alcohol flavor to it. Not really appealing at all and not well executed in my opinion.

Mouthfeel suffered from overcarbonation, probably to cover up its thinness in the flavor and feel department.

Drinkability wasn't good as it has no real festive flavor, or even flavor in fact, to continue drinking this brew. I would recommend finding almost anything else to replace this. Overall, the beer tries but doesn't execute. (840 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -49.8%

A- a solid dark brown with red hues and a large head with nice retention and good to decent lacing.

S- Malty, no spice or yeast notes(odd for a Belgian)

T- Malty, light yeast with some light raisin and dark fruit flavors. Zero complexity.

M- Way to over-carbonated.

D- drain-pour. I would prefer Miller-lite over this. (323 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -47.9%

clear deep brown in color with a 2 finger head and good drooping lacing but thats it. Blue moon dropped the ball here. taste is to bitter. mouth feel is tart and lasting. dont want this travesty of a beer again. still heavy like all the blue moon lines of beers but this beer missed the bus . wont have this one again (317 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -45.3%

poured into a pint glass.

A. dark amber color that decieves. small 1 finger head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing.

S. I smell some vanilla, very faint wheat. I get a little smell of coors original.

T. I taste a little vanilla, some carmel, very faint wheat at the back. tastes very watery almost like coors original with some flavoring. not very pleasant.

M. very light almost watery. light carbonation, very easy to drink.

O. this beer didn't impress me at all. for this to be called a double is very dissapointing. I am glad I only bought one. (559 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -45%

Opened cold 12oz bottle, poured into snifter. Nice white head of 1" to 1.5" that dissipates rather promptly. Brew is clear, dark reddish-brown.

Smell is not pleasant. Somewhat metallic and hints of malts. Taste also follows through with the metallic, definitely bitter on the palate. Not a smooth drink.

I tried to let it warm up to see if the taste/flavors extracted better, but it never happened.

I was really expecting more from this beer... (447 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -45%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with a best by date printed on the bottle by the neck. Label describes it as an "Amber ale with winter spices". I'd call it Liquid Praline. It poured with a good couple finger head that slowly dissipated. It was a solid amber color and had good carb. The smell was dead-on praline with some vanilla in background. Great smell for a soda but not for a beer. The taste was basically the same as the smell and again great for a cream soda but not a beer. Not sure what they were trying to do here but it didn't work for me. I'm extremely glad that I got this as a single instead of a 6ixer. Highly recommend that you avoid unless you are looking for a cream soda (1.5, NA, ML, N) (703 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -41.4%

Dark mahogany, transparent brew with weak head. Aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg and caramel without any yeast character. Weak flavor of lightly toasted wheat bread and brown rice. Overwhelming cinnamon and nutmeg. Light body and over-carbonated. I don't understand where they get the idea to call this an Abbey ale. Has none of the subtle complexities of a well crafted Belgian beer. Weak malt character and too many spices. Avoid. (425 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -40.4%

A: The beer poured a hazy brownish, call it cola, color with hints of red when held up to light. The head that was produced a slightly off white and it was not well retained.

S: The aroma was faintly malty with a very light hint of sweetness. Not much there really.

T: They were going for a Belgian beer, but they did not get there with the taste. Some malt and brown sugar or fruits for sweetness and I got some kind of metallic flavor. The combination of flavors was poor.

M/D: The beer had a medium body to it and the carbonation seemed to be right, but it leaves a strange aftertaste. I cannot really describe it, but it is not good. I bought a six-pack and have yet to finish one, let alone drink more than one at a time.

For some reason, I expect more since Blue Moon is a decent beer and they seem to try but just cannot seem to get any of the other seasonals right. (878 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -40.1%

Someone left this in my fridge from Christmas, and I felt the need to give you all my findings.

A- looks like a belgian dubbel. nice caramel color, finger-width head with nice carbonation.

S- Honestly, have you ever had a carpet in a basement that a dog pissed on repeatedly, and had possible water damage/mold? This beer smelled like old dog piss on a carpet. It had a fruity, sugary smell at first but finished with urine.

T- Awful. It started nice and finished like I brushed my teeth and at a grapefruit. just plain disgusting.

M- Felt like it should be a good dubbel. Light and watery.

D- I dumped it out halfway through drinking it.

I got this fresh out of the fridge, put it into an SA pint glass and expected to enjoy it. I know it was fresh, so it wasn't a case of old beer, maybe it was skunked? Dunno. I don't hate this company and have been pleased in the past with their macros in sheeps clothing, but this thing is not drinkable in the least. Fortunately for me, this was the only one I had to suffer through.
I feel bad, having enjoyed previous offerings from this company. It won't in any way influence my decision to have another beer from Blue Moon, but I wouldn't touch this one again even if you threatened to make me listen to you strangling my first born to death. (1,293 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought one for kicks off the singles shelf at my local place.

It looks light for a dubbel; it is more the color of a belgian pale.

The smell is of a stale Light American Lager with a hint of Belgian dark sugar. The taste is pretty much like the smell. Not much in the way of malt flavor, no yeast character, and a watered down candi sugar taste. Mouthfeel is light, and there is an unpleasant aftertaste.

I haven't had Blue Moon in a couple of years, but I remember liking it. This stuff, however, I won't drink again. (521 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -38.4%

Bottle poured into a chalice.

A - Dark amber, slighty translucent.
S - Malt, currants, plums, but very mild, especially for this style.
T - Weak. Malt but none of the yeast that makes up a dubbel's style. No alcohol bite either. It's a major letdown, in all departments of taste.
M - watery, low carbonation.
D - high, but only because of the wateriness.

A very poor representation of the dubbel style, and not even that great of a beer to drink. Skip on this one if you see it. (480 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -38.1%

A-Dark amber color with slight haze-loose tan head that dissipates within a few seconds
S-Slight toasted malt aroma with the typical large scale lager notes. Not much overall aroma.
T-Not much backbone. Slight hop bitterness. Alcohol is evident and not hidden well.
M-Thin for the style, a little too much carbonation.
D-I've had stronger abbey ales that have a much better drinkability so this one misses the mark.

Overall-lacks the overall aroma, taste, and mouthfeel of a good "dubbel" abbey ale. Probably the worst "abbey ale" that I've had. Ok overall given the price. (574 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -37.5%

Reddish brown with off white rather large head (I put forth an aggressive pour). Almost nonexistent aroma, picking up some sugar, molasses, and some offensive aroma that I can't quite pin down. Definitely made by Coors, it seems like old sugar and synthetic syrup made their way into the Coors Light bottles and they decided to just call it a winter ale. Extremely light in body and fizzy mouthfeel. After a few sips the overwhelming Sweet N Low packets start to stale the taste and turn me off. There's no balance in this brew, just malt and dark sugar water. (560 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -37.5%

Since I had not sampled a Coors product in at least 10 years, I wanted to give this one a real honest shot. It poured great and had a nice amber color that reminded me of a darkish Maerzen. The first sip wasn't too bad, either, because I could detect a wisp of malt. It was all down hill from there. There was this synthetic or artificial mouthfeel that didn't make me feel comfortable. The aftertaste was a bit too bitter, too. I need someone to finish off the rest of this six pack for me... (493 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -37.5%

Pours a delicious looking clear red-brown colour with an appetizing nutmeg coloured tan head. It looks great. Until the head disappears. Then it just looks alright.
The smell is just grains. Not really getting much out of the smell.
The taste is odd. The presence of wheat is up front and very much at odds with the style. Terrible idea. Really terrible. It's got sort of a yeastiness and citrus note that don't mesh well either. These flavours I often associate with wheat use in a beer, but this type of beer just really shouldn't have these flavours in it in my opinion. I guess Blue Moon was trying to do something interesting with their foray into the abbey style, but this was a major miss. It tastes like somebody poured a bottle of wheat ale into a bottle of very mild dark ale. The result is a disaster. Drinkable, sure, but it was just a bad idea. I'm certainly never buying this again.

The style is being listed here as dubbel. Not sure why. The label says it is a "single-style abbey ale." That makes no sense, of course, since that's not what anybody calls anything really. One might assume they are referring to patersbier or any low-alcohol beer made by monks, but the alcohol content isn't particularly low. So, I don't know what they wanted this to be. So, that makes it hard to know what to rate it against. All I know is that it's some sort of dark semi-wheat ale monstrosity and a bad idea. Is bad idea ale a category? (1,439 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -36.2%

I like the original witbier, but this offering from Blue Moon is down right terrible. I don't do drain pours but for this one I probably should. Also, Coors should be embarrassed to even associate Abbey with this crap, Belgian monks are rolling in their graves at the mere concept.

A - nice and dark amber, the appearance is deceiving, makes you think it will be one tasty Abbey Dubbel. If you pour the beer carefully into a glass there is limited head and it dissolves quickly leaving no lacing.

S - weak, feint deceiving Abbey smell, cannot pick up on any notes at all, but still doesn't give the misconception it will be disgusting.

T - absolutely terrible, getting hints of corn like from Coors or other American crap macrobrews, oh and don't forget the burnt sugar too, cannot even fathom who thought that would be a smart idea.

M - decent to be honest but the taste is so bad it's difficult to get over. Slightly creamy, light carbonation, easy to swallow.

O - I'd never drink this again, you're basically paying $9 for a six pack of burnt Coors light, nothing good about this beer at all, unless you want to feel cool drinking a fancy twist off beer by all means gag on this... (1,190 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a nice, rich brown color with a huge head of light tan foam. Retention is poor, a three inch head drops to a film in about a minute. No lace at all.
Smell is cardboard, a odd roasted note and sweet caramel. The combination is not at all like one would expect from a dubbel.
Taste is sweet with an artificial roasted note that turns ashy in the aftertaste. The only other presence in the aftertaste is sugar.
If I'm generous this is medium-bodied. Effervescence is light. This drinks much more light a dark lager than anything else. Its not an offensive beer to drink, but not one I would ever seek out again. (614 characters)

The bottle is a nice looking snowy village which is perfect for the storm were about to have. Hoping to sit down to a nice sweet warm beer for the winter.

I'm on my third bottle and still waiting for something. Maybe my taste buds are broken but there is not much (a little sweet bread taste) here besides carbonation and dark coloring.

Maybe I'll have a coke. (363 characters)

personally i like my beers to tase like beer not Cream Soda. Then again thats just my opinion. The beer had a nice color to it but i thought i was drinking Mug cream soda and after a couple of sips i wanted to vomit i ended up giving the other 5 beers away. I would only recomended if you like sweet candy tasting beers. but otherwise steer clear (346 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance: This poured a stereotypically "abbey ale" color of mahogany with almost no head and very little lacing as I finished my beer.

Smell: Nothing to get excited about. The nose did absolutely nothing to entice me to drink this beer. My initial impression was that this beer was to be a drain pour

Taste: Not great. For a beer that claims to be an "abbey ale", I certainly expected a little bit more than what this beer offered.

Mouthfeel: Watery. That is the first description that comes to mind. There was some carbonation, but no real kicker to set this beer off.

Drinkability: It's drinkable, but I wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps it would be better if served from a tap. (684 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -32.6%

Best by: 14APR12

A: brown with a finger of off-white foam. spotty lace excellent clarity.
S: Faint, not much here in the nose, except a weird smell of carrot.
T: Tastes like wood and cherries (marachino) and alcohol.
M: Thin with moderate carb.
O: Meh, last one I will have. (277 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -31.6%

Bought this because my girlfriend really loves the regular Blue Moon, so we thougth we'd give it a try. Neither of us can drink it. I don't know what I'm going to do with the rest of the 6 pack, I had to pour out half of my bottle because I just couldn't stomach it.

It pours to a nice amber color, with a decent head, so it starts off well. It smells decent too, some nice carmel and maybe some chocolate smells. However after the first sip is when it all goes wrong. The caramel and chocolate tastes mix together with the alcohol to make it taste like I'm drinking a shot of irish cream on every sip. The sweet caramel and chocolate flavors dominate everything, it's almost like they've added some sort of flavored syrup to it. I've had barlewines and double IPAs at 10% ABV or more that do a better job of hiding the alcohol than this. Heck, even Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA at 20% ABV does a better job than this. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth, and not acidic or anything. It's a nice try, but way off the mark, seriously lacking in balance.

I can say that I'd rather drink this than Icehouse or Coors light (interesting because Coors makes this), but that's about the only good thing I can say about it. Stay away from this one, or just buy one bottle and see if you like it first before buying a whole 6 pack. (1,323 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a clean orange-ish/ copper color with an off white head. In the aroma, dry wheaty, and hints of sweet citrus/ orange. In the taste, same as smell, a dry wheatiness, hints of a sweet orange flavor, very much like a Belgian wit. A smooth, decent bodied mouthfeel and a dry sticky sweet aftertaste. Light, and very much like a Belgian wit style. (348 characters)

Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale from Coors Brewing Company