Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Dubbel |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: thornside on 11-03-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,521 | Reviews: 543
2.37/5  rDev -22%

had to try this to see how close it was to blue moon. it poured nice with a nice head and carbonation. smells sweet. tastes sweet, not my bag. did not feel to bad in me mouth. this is ok to try and compare but not a great example of a beer that has so many greats to choose from.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

2.93/5  rDev -3.6%

This isn't the best winter ale I've had but it was worth a shot. Pours a dark auburn color with a meager head that fizzles quickly. Smells of wheat, hint of cinnamon, bready. Tastes of weak spices like the brewer accidentally dropped some in. Didn't exactly "warm" me.

3.46/5  rDev +13.8%

This poured a clear, dark amber with light tan head. It smelled very faintly of blended malt and yeast. Its taste was more pronounced than its scent, with noticeable malt and sour apple flavors mixing with slightly bitter hops and some brown sugar sweetness. It was watery with slight carbonation and a sweet aftertaste. Overall this was a very clean and interesting beer. Surprisingly good!

3.16/5  rDev +3.9%

Originally tasted on 10/23/07.

This is my first winter ale of the year. A deep amber colored body hosts a light tan head that has lots of rocky fat crackling bubbles that stand two fingers tall. It has decent retintion. Nose is a fresh raw mix of wheat, soft cinnamon, yeasty dough with an overall spicey feel. Peppery wheat hit the tongue and carry a timid but consistant spicey feel throughout the palate. A hue of ginger and cinnamon is all over the mouth and carry a bit of sweetness. A slight hint of hops are noticeable twords the finish bringing a little balance and bitter. Could use a little more malt balance. Mouthfeel is very thick with a dry sugared bitter. This isnt bad, just not special at all. Average Drinkability.

2.48/5  rDev -18.4%

This beer is not all I thought it was going to be. I am a fan of regular ol' Blue Moon, but this doesn't do much for me. The smell I would say is only a hair above opening a Miller Light. Not too good. Taste is sweet, but finishes like a Miller Light. Just for reference, I hate Miller Light. It is drinkable though and not terrible by any means. Its a good beer to get drunk on, not to drink for the sheer purpose of taste. I would probably buy it again. Maybe.

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

The only thing I have in my collection right now is stouts, so I picked this one up to give me something refreshing.

Pours a nice transparent orange/brown with a good fine tan head that clings for quite some time.

Smells strongly of alcohol and malts, fairly sweet. The taste is much too sweet for me with not much to balance it out. Tastes like a bad barleywine. There's not much going on here, just an overwhelming sweetness, which is not appealing.

Overall: Too sweet. Avoid

2.78/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Stamped with APR0608

Deep amber in color, thin layer of white active bubbles. Highly carbonated.

Malty sweet aroma with a little ester (figs). Mild toast aroma and some caramelized sugar.

Flavor is a bit watered down. Metallic with a bready aftertaste.

I read Abbey ale and bias the beer towards a dubbel, but this falls more into the single or table beer. For a Coors product it is a great attempt. For a Belgian styled beer, it's average at best. I probably wouldn't buy a sixer for myself next year, but if someone were serving it at a party I wouldn't have a problem drinking it. But if they were serving Pinot or Zin, I'd have to switch to wine.

Music enjoyed whilst sampling: Blue Moon by Elvis

2.86/5  rDev -5.9%

Clear amber color with a big head and some lacing.

Aroma of grain and honey, but nothing really significant.

Taste of honey and slight herbs, slight bitterness, semi-crisp.

Tastes a bit watered down, but easy to drink and went well with my dinner of chicken and rice.

Good beer for someone trying to branch out of the big brand pilsners and looking for a mellow beer without too much going on.

2.98/5  rDev -2%

From notes, this bottle was purchased at Quick six- West York
Decanted at cellar temp into my DFH shaped pint.

A - Deep copper w/ a slightly caramel brown color. The head is off white and measures 3 fingers, I poured twice to get it all in. The lace is moderate and has great stickage.

S - A malty, sugary slightly caramel odor w/ spiced rum scent. The yeast odor is fruity.

m - Medium body w/ moderate carbonation and subtle sweetness. The feel is nutty in a light kind of way w/ tinges of spice in the feel.

T - Better than average taste at firstw/ malty flavors and woody hops w/ candy sugar notes that are faint working in tandem to make a medium dark light dubbel flavor. Just a shade darker than a Belgian pale w/ subtle caramel malt flavor and a light metallic taste w/ the brown sugar trailing w/ a gentle fruit hint. The taste is slightly apple tinged in the finish.

D - A fair attempt, yet just average for a winter seasonal IMO. I expect a lot more for a belgian style winter ale. This is drinkable, but there are so many other better choices. Just not my thing - I would still drink this if it was the only seasonal option.

3.68/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured a crystal-clear deep amber color with minute white head.
Smell has a light caramel note, but not much else.
Taste has a stranger caramel character, but the taste is really rather sudbued.
A nice dryness at the ending which somewhat saves the beer.
Probably more of a winter warmer than a belgian ale. Rereshing. Very middle of the road.

3.33/5  rDev +9.5%

Clear and glassy reddish orange. Like shiny triaminic. Some lace.

Sweet winter ale aroma with mild cherry. Nutty and malty. A little weak.

Sweet taste of bitter cherry and slightly bitter malt. Not too shabby, but not amazing.

Watery but a bit creamy. Slightly bubbly feel. Not bad overall. A bit too sweet in parts for my taste.

3.26/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a hazy, coppery hue straight out of the bottle with a fluffy, creamy head, about two-fingers. Scents of oak, dried fruits and coriander wafted up to my nostrils. Taste was pretty decent, heavy maltose sweetness with just a hint of bittering hops. Reminded me of dried fruits in the nose and taste. Mouthfeel dissipated quickly. Not a bad brew at all. Very sessionable, but then again doesn't stand out among other excellent winter ales.

3.33/5  rDev +9.5%

"May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door."

--Irish blessing

Dark coppery pumpkin with Sunkist orange edges. The several finger head is ecru in color and has a quality look. It looks even better as it melts and is beginning to grace the glass with delicate squiggles of lace... that become impressive sheets in the end.

The label says that Full Moon is brewed with 'roasted malts and a hint of dark candi sugar'. That sounds like a dubbel, right? I think it smells like a cream ale brewed with a handful of crystal malt. Not bad at all.

Unfortunately, this Coors product tastes like a macrobrewery's attempt at a craft beer. It's decent at first, but things don't develop in a positive direction from there. To be fair, they don't develop in a negative direction either.

This isn't bad beer at all and is actually one of the better 'Blue Moon Seasonal Collection' ales. For the most part, it splits the difference between pale and dark, with leanings toward the dark side. Calling it an 'Abbey Ale' has to be someone's idea of a joke.

The dark candi sugar helps by adding a bit of dark caramel and a sweetness that winter warmers need. Note: the beer has since been reclassified as a dubbel. There isn't much going on with the flavor profile outside of ripe, dark(ish) fruit, a subtle spiciness and an almost vanilla-like flavor that brings me back to cream ale.

The mouthfeel is actually somewhat enjoyable, all things considered. It's nowhere near thin and develops some supple creaminess as it warms. Nice job on the carbonation too.

Full Moon Winter Ale is okay beer that is close to earning the next highest flavor score. It has no business being called a Belgian *anything*, but then you already knew that. Kudos to the brewery for trying to straddle the divide that exists between their usual customers and us beer geeks.

3.08/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a medium amber color with a very faint but consistent head. Fair amount to very little lacing on the glass. Smell is sweet with a hint of mild malts and alcohol. The taste is also sweet, malty, and a little bit fruity. A tad too much carbonation in my opinion--a little less, and I think this would be a better beer. That said, it's easy to drink and has a little bit of a kick to it. Nothing to write home about, but very solid.

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

Bottle Inspection: 5.6% abv. best by date of MAR 09 08 (sampled FEB 02 08)

Aroma: Mild marshmallow sweetness, lightly toasted, light spices, maybe clove?

Appearance: Lightly hazed amber brown with a full creamy cover of white that laces well

Flavor: Not a lot of taste to comment on. What taste there is isn't good. An odd light, but hot alcohol flavor. This tastes something like their pumpkin ale with different spices. Some buttery diacetyl in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin and dry

Overall Impression: Total package just isn't pleasing. Pass.

3.93/5  rDev +29.3%

Picked up a 6 pack at Kroger. Have had BM's Pale Ale before, liked it and thought I'd give this a try. This beer was called Winter Ale before and now is known as Full Moon.

A- Poured into a tall glass. Nice off-white head that stayed around for awhile, pretty good lacing. Color was a clear orange.

S- Smells of lightly roasted malts and an almost fruity aroma.

T- Kind of sweet taste, not unpleasant, not light but not heavy either. The roasted malts hit on the finish, slightly bitter but not bad.

M- I like the mouth feel of this beer, not as thick as a cream stout but a nice velvety feel. Very pleasing.

D- Very easy to drink. With an ABV of 5.6 a 6 pack is all I would need.

I must admit I almost didn't buy this beer. I was expecting a thin watery sweet beer with a nice wintery label. Although not my favorite overall this is a nice refreshing beer for a winter warmer, if you want to call it that. But this is a nice change from my thick stouts in the winter. I'll buy it again.

2.82/5  rDev -7.2%

A- Gold color with a small fluffy white head with nice lacing.

S- Sweet malt, but very weak.

T- Citrus, mild bite, little hops, with a warming alcohol feel and a sweet aftertaste.

M- Full with very nice carbination.

D- Not so great I probably won't have another.

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

The beer poured a basic amber with a light tan head. The aroma is light, but of spiced malt. The taste is basically sweet malt. The feel is light and dry. I bought a six pack and had a hard time getting to this last one. I had hoped for more when I saw this beer was out. It was really pretty weak and even lacked the signature Coors malt and yeast tastes which I do like.

3.81/5  rDev +25.3%

This is the first Blue Moon I've tried. I see it all over the place but always figured it was simply the typical big brewery beer but after seeing it recommended by several readers and several stores I decided to buy a 6 pack tonught and was pleasently surprized!
Poured a very nice golden honey color with a 1 finger head that pretty much disappeared after a few sips.
Light to medium lacing that stuck around for most of the drink.
Light carbonation that quickly disappeared off the back of the tongue.
Smell was very light, as I expected,of spices and hops.
Tastes of citrus and some spices but nothing really stood out.
Actually a very good beer for the price and one worth trying. Definately could drink quite a few at a sitting, although I'll prefer Sam Adams or Anchor if I have a choice.

3.1/5  rDev +2%

A- The head barely foamed up, maybe 1/2 inch and it quickly disappeared. The color is a nice amber, appealing and clear.

S- Not my best category to judge, but there seems to sweet aroma that I like coming from the beer.

T- Average, decent and light taste. Seems to be a caramel taste to the beer. Something that I was unable to place. A slight metallic aftertaste.

M- Activated my sweet taste buds. Very light/watery in my mouth.

D- Easy to drink. Went down smoothly, but it didn't leave me wanting more.

I will purchase again if I do not find something better on the shelf.

After letting the beer sit for about 15 minutes, I came back for the last quarter. I like the beer better after it was warmed up out of the fridge.

This is a decent beer that is drinkable. I recommend anyone taste it.

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%

Purchased as part of a mixed seasonal 6 pack at The Still in Lincoln on Dec. 22. I was surprized to see this marked as retired. I hope that does not mean that this bottle I have is old.

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is clear and coppery in color. Pour produces a nice 1/2 inch whitish head that has some good staying power. Leaves a full cover on the liquid and lacing down the glass.

Smell: Somw decent malt aromas, perhaps a hint of roasted nuts, along with some grains and a semblance of some dark fruits.

Taste: A mention on the bottle of this being like an Abbey ale. Seems a little light for that (in the taste department). Even as a winter warmer this seems a touch weak. The beer has a bit of a decent malt backing to it and is a touch sweet, but there is no pay off, no bitterness, or any spicyness here.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth, crisp with no aftertastes.

Drinkability: An easy enough drinker, a winter warmer you could session with if you wanted too. If this beer is released again next year I will probably purchase again, if not, well, I'm glad I got to try it at least once. Pretty decent.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer poured out a clear golden tone with a light head. The beer did have a fair amount of carbonation, that at times, wreaked a bit of havoc with the taste.

The bouquet was lightly malty, with just a hint of a golden ale smell. I found the bouquet to be thin, I wish it had more body as I wanted dark belgian sugars to come through.

The mouthfeel was good from the standpoint of the ease the beer's light body left the tongue. The taste, though, I felt suffered from the lack of a coherent body. While this may be an abbey styled ale in the most liberal sense, that really did not come through in the taste. The caramelized components of the wort did not come through. There was no pleasing lasting tasted that a more traditional abbey ale would leave.

To be fair, this is not a beer for the learned palate. It can be refreshing and fine, but not a belgian gustatory orgasm.

2.81/5  rDev -7.6%

Off white head dissipates quickly to a film and ring of bubbles that leave some good lacing. The beer is a clear light bronze color and low in carbonation.

Nose is soft, sweet malty aromas dominate a little yeast spiciness. Some grassy hop smells are discernable as the beer warms.

The taste is also muted, with a sweet malt base roughly balanced by hops. There is a nice spicy note, from the yeast, in the finish.

The mouthfeel is nice and full with a nice viscous, heavier than water feel.

The drinkability is average as I could drink maybe 3 of these.

3.3/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a copper color with a nice head that quicly dissipated into some nice lacing with good retention.

The aroma was strong with malt with a sweet candy caramel scent.

This brew has a sweet taste with some caramel flavor mixing with the malt flavors, some mild carbonation with mild hopiness at the finish.

While not a heavy "winter warmer" this is a decent beer that gets too much bad press because of the parent company... perfect to session especially with a friend who might not be that adventurous with new beers!

2.25/5  rDev -26%

It's disappointing when every other Blue Moon beer out there comes out, you get all excited and than it tastes just like generic beer. I'm kinda insulted by it, why do something interesting and dare I say trailblazing and then turn around and churn out craft beer labeled bottles filled with pretty much shit. Appears a clear light amber hue with a large off white head forming fine even lacing as it dwindles nice look let's take a smell. Aromatics a muted grainy sweetness touch of spiciness and generic beer scent no real hop factor arising. Flavor touch of caramel sweetness with a grainy lingering quality that turns sour, dark Belgian sugar whatever dude this tastes like candy corn and caramel popcorn. Not impressed weak and one dimensional in nature. Mouthfeel is thin and overly carbonated you can actually tell just from the pour the way the foam forms and dissipates. Light to medium nothing really artificial Co2 floods the palate. Drinkability is a one and done analyze this type situation, no more needs to be said.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale from Coors Brewing Company