Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat - Coors Brewing Company

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 06-17-2011

3.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very clear gold and straw hue.

Skunkiness and honey followed by a faint nickel nose. Slight floral hops in there for good measure.

I appreciate that the beer isn't overly sweet from the honey but it doesn't have much of a wheat characteristic. It is mainly balanced by malts and I barely get any traces of wheat.

Thin body which clumps into foam while on the palate. Medium to high carbonation. I actually like how the body isn't overly thick, it suits the rest of the beer's offerings.

Decent effort from Blue Moon and it's definitely better than their highly advertised belgian wheat, which made me sick last time I tried to session it. Nothing I'd pick up often through the summer season though. Much better summer seasonals and even wheat beers for that matter. (781 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a hefeweissbier glass in Los Angeles. Reviewed live. Acquired as part of a blue moon sampler pack.

A: Two finger head of fair cream and thickness. Good retention. Colour is a transparent cloudy light copper.

Sm: Honey, light orange peel, and a bit of clover, as per the label. Some cream. A mild strength scent.

T: Orange peel, light honey, and clover. Some more spices are also present in smaller quantities. Maybe even nutmeg? It's a bit off-balance, but built decently. Cream comes through in the third act. I do like it for what it is, but it's a touch simple.

Mf: Smooth if sharp, and wet. It somewhat suits the flavours, but certainly isn't tailored to them.

Dr: It's pretty drinkable, rather affordable, and of limited quality. For Coors, it's not bad. (832 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

I poured from a bottle to a glass. I was greeted with a two finger tan head that faded quick to minimal lacing. The color was a clear golden hue. The aroma is shows citrus, sweetness from the honey and wheat malt. Any hops must be of a citrus type that goes well with the orange peel. The taste starts off with the malt and orange peel notes fading to the sweetness of the honey on the finish. The mouthfeel was average some carbonation, but the beer was thin in body. This actually plays better in hot weather in my opinion for a summer beer. Overll this isn't a great beer, but it is a seriously drinkable summer beer. It's refreshing and in the deep south welcome on a day that is reaching the upper 80's in temps. (717 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%

Your typical summer beer adding lemon and honey to an otherwise okay wheat ale. Compares easily to Sam Summer except it is sweeter. Makes up for where Blue Moon fails in that you do not have to add a piece of fruit to it, but only does so in already adding the fruit and sugar. Good refreshing beer for summer barbeques, but nothing stand out about it. (352 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is actually not that bad. Never really a fan of Coors/Blue Moon but this was decent. I will not rave about it- you know this is mass produced- but it was ok to drink at a Yankee game. (188 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +6.6%

looks boring and yellowish like a lager but taste like sweet lovely honey beer. hince the name and style. lots of flavor and taste. great mouth feel. a lot better tasting than looking. heavy like all blue moon lines of beers but well worth the feel. just more quality from this company. (286 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +6.6%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Light clear golden ale with a frothy 1-finger white head after a violent pour. Quickly dissipates into a wispy lace leaving a long trail all the way down the glass.

S: Surprising the first thing I smelled with the beer was hops. My second sniff was more of bread and honey. It is not overwhelming power but pleasant to the nose.

T: Light crisp and refreshing taste. The wheat and honey are blended nicely with the hops coming through in end a little.

M: Thin body and medium carbonation.

O: I wasn’t thrilled to try this beer but was rather pleasantly surprised. It was a refreshing light well-balanced brew. Nice balance between the wheat and honey. (716 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A light hazy colored brew with white soapy froth. Aroma is sweet with lemon, honey and bread. In the taste, lemon and honey. Faint bitterness does little to stand in the wat malty dextrins. Light body with a smooth medium carbonation. Overall, this is a ok beer, it is refreshing in its ways. Not bad. (301 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance - Pours a pale yellow color with a centimeter thick head that dissipates quickly. Has very nice lacing.

Smell - Sweet with honey. I also detect wheat. That's it.

Taste - Pale malts, very sweet with a light honey flavor, wheat, and citrus.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with mild carbonation.

Overall - This is a pretty good honey beer. (345 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of honey, some wheat. Taste is mild, bready, some honey, not a lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and overall is an easy drinking beer but nothing special. (251 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had a tasting of this where I work today; not a bad offering, and it's my second in the Blue Moon library, to be exact. While I only had about a shot glass worth of beer (I got a bottle in my fridge, so I'll be doing a rereview soon, if necessary), it's an effective drinker for the season, however, its clove honey taste and rather mild but effective filling overall make this sort of a Blue Moon Light than a really different product from the traditional Blue Moon. Still, there is a nice difference to this beer that's more on-par with a honey beer that's available year-round rather than a limited-batch shandy during the summertime.

Still, when it comes down to the macrobrew Belgian White wars, I got to side with Shock Top, for, in just two of their beers, I could really taste their complexities and their differences, where both of the Blue Moon offerings that should be drastically different are quietly interchangeable to a degree. (944 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +7.9%

First off, this may need to be merged with the Honey Moon Summer Beer that also exists. That aside, my highest thanks to Another6Pack who sent this to me in a trade and I have no idea where he may have scored it.

From the CAN: "Seasonal Collection"; "Brewmaster's CAN"; "Wheat Ale Brewed with Orange Peel with Clover Honey Added"; "2010 Gold Medal Winner - Specialty Honey Lager or Ale - Awarded to Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat, was brewed in Golden, CO" along with a reproduction of the GABF medal (!); "Blue Moon, Artfully Crafted"; "Our brewmaster is passionate about crafting Blue Moon, and he's now excited to be able to offer it in CANs. Eliminating nearly all exposure to light and air, and with the special liner preventing any metallic taste, the CAN ensures that the beer is as fresh as when it left the brewery."; "Whether you're relaxing after a day on the mountain or soaking up the sun at concert in the park, our brewmaster's CAN lets you enjoy the same delicious beer that you love on tap at your favorite pub."; "In a fitting tribute to those endless summer days, our Summer Honey Wheat is brewed with clover honey for a subtle hint of sweetness, balanced out with a touch of orange peel for a refreshing citrus finish."

The Crack & Glug produced two fluffy fingers of bone-white head with good retention. It even looked like marshmallow Fluf in the glass! Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like a wheat beer, kind of tangy and underlain by a light oranginess. I was glad that it was not as strong as the lime I had earlier. Mouthfeel was medium with that light wheat flavor that I will always remember from Drink Your Wheaties afternoon at SPTR, accompanied by a light honey sweetness and on the finish, orange zest. The finish was semi-dry and quite pleasant. I would probably enjoy it more on a hot summer day than on Halloweestmas (it snowed here two days before Hallowe'en). (1,933 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +8.6%

A- This looks like a typical macro lager with the following improvements....the coloring is deeper, as in more of a honeyed golden. The head starts off strong, is fizzy, but actually sticks around for a bit, leaving behind a thin foamy layer. That's where the differences stop...it has lots of big bubbly carbonation and the lacing is something left to be desired.

S- This area also is similar to a typical BMC macro, in the sense that it is bland overall. There is some adjuncty rice in there....clean...very clean. It does have some hidden honeyed sweetness, that I could be mistaking for corn/malt....it's hard to tell. There is no hopped bitterness on the finish, but perhaps some very modest citrus zest.

T- This is the area that hits the spot, for me anyways! There is subtle clover honey right up front, and I don't find it offensive or too strong by any means. This is followed by a bit of astringency and/or a bit of a metallic flavor, and the finish contains some very soft spice.

M- This is most definitely thin bodied for what I should have been expecting, is full of zingy carbonation....more than even some macro lagers I've had, and the sweetness sticks to the palate after the swallow....not bad, not great!

O- I'm not gonna lie....I do like this beer! Sitting on the deck with a very warm sun beating down on me, this is refreshing and quenches the thirst...if only it was a little less sticky on the palate afterwards, it would be a great brew to enjoy...but it is very good in my opinion. I would recommend this and will get it again when the opportunity comes up. On a side note, I will mention that this makes a good stepping stone beer, as I have a BMC only friend who is opening up to new brews, and appreciated the extra dimensions found in this Summer Honey Wheat. (1,794 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Very smooth, not much going on. Tastes like a great version of cheap beer--very refreshing, but it's almost too simple. That said, that's all I expect from a seasonal. A friendly redneck would drink this beer. Does that make sense? If not, try it and you'll know what I mean. (275 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A nice light bodied brew that brings on an authentic honey taste with hints of orange peel and citrus then ends with a bIscuity like finish. Not bad for blue moon and the macro company that it represents. (204 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the Blue Moon brand of beers (except for the Harvest Moon Pumpkin Ale). I was a bit hesitant to try the Summer Honey Wheat based on previous experiences. But, I decided to put my big boy pants on, and give the Summer Honey Wheat a go. I'm glad I did.

Poured a 12oz bottle into a frosted mug.

I noticed right away a nice golden color under a creamy-white head that, sadly, didn't stick around very long. For the first two minutes this beer was GORGEOUS! Some active carbonation rising from the bottom of my mug, but not much. Minimal lacing. Meh.

I found the aroma lacking.Honey notes for sure. A bit a caramel. Some wheat bread, lemongrass, and very faint orange and citrus. Kind of disappointing.

Aroma aside, this beer tasted pretty good. Honey is the dominate flavor with a hint of caramel and toasted wheat bread. What hop additions are in this have added a citrus bitterness that cuts the sweetness of the honey quite nicely. Orange peel? Didn't really notice. But it's still an enjoyable beer.

I found this beer to have a medium-dry to medium mouth feel. Crisp enough quench a thirst and make you want more, but heavy enough to let you know you're not drinking water. Could use more carbonation though. I could certainly understand why someone could almost accuse this of being flat.

Overall, Blue Moon's Summer Honey Wheat isn't a bad beer. Sure, there's room for improvement, but I've had worse beers in my life. I'd certainly buy this again. (1,486 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

Purchased for some of the gals with the birthday weekend. Thought I'd give it a go.
Very tame but appropriate yeast character to the aroma. Mildly spicy and tart.
Very very clear gold. Very white head that settle out rather fast.
Mouth feel is quite soft especially with all the carbonation. Moderately light body overall.
Reasonably complex flavor profile. The spices stand out, but aren't excessive (seems like a little cinnamon) and the sweetness is also not overdone. Dries out nicely, but again, not excessively.
This beer is build for drinkability and in that arena it does pretty well. Flavors are well balanced, but could use a little more yeast qualities. This is better than I anticipated. It's a nice drinkable summer ale, done better than many. (757 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Straw, crystal clear. Average head, minimal lacing. Good retention for the style.

Aroma: Light malts. A bit floral. Some sweetness/honey.

Taste: Sweet. Grainy. Pale malts, sweet honey.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body. Moderate carbonation. Oily.

Overall: Better than expected. Sweet, but nothing complex really. Light and drinkable. (348 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +10.6%

not a bad honey wheat beer, and a decent summer drink. pours less cloudy than the standard blue moon, but there is still plenty of hazy under a one inch white head. smells like a wheat beer, malty, unfiltered, and a touch sweet. floral from the honey. flavor is similar, crisp though, and there isnt much sweetness. there is the essence of honey without all the sugar at the end. feel is not bad, lighter medium body, very sessionable with good carbonation. perhaps just a bit thin for me, but it adds to drinkability. overall i think this is my favorite of the blue moon seasonals, but still not a standout by any stretch of the imagination. (642 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +10.9%

It's a zesty beer, overall great for summer. The color is a beautiful and deep gold. It is refreshing and somewhat tart as well. Great buzz after a few swallows. I would buy this beer again but it's definitely not on my favorites list. I would recommend trying it over regular Blue Moon, but expect less of the orange-y taste. (326 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +11.2%

My first impression of this beer was a comparison to Cabin Fever by New Glarus as that is also a honey based beer. I liked this one a lot better. It tasted much more refreshing and clean than Cabin Fever.

The taste of honey was just enough to make it a good refreshing summer beer but not so much sweet that it ruined the wheat taste of the beer. It was about what I expected from Blue Moon; probably not as good as their Belgian White but a solid selection. (459 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Wheat colored, light, yellow amber. Pleasing for a summer brew.
Smell: Not great. Smells a bit like cheaper beers such as Miller or Coors. Very pronounced wheat notes with honey.
Taste/mouthfeel: A bit harsh initially, but the taste softens almost immediately to one of refreshing amber and honey. The wheat is still present, especially in the aftertaste.
Overall: Pleasing in taste, this makes a decent summer beer. Similar to Grainbelt or Leinenkugel's Honey weiss. (481 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden pour with a thin head. Lacing was moderate on the wine glass I used.

Everything about the smell is very subtle. Some yeast and honey seems most prevalent.

Honey/sweetness is a major taste in the brew, the carbonation seems to keep it from getting a syrupy taste. Thus good carbonation for the style.

The honey/wheat taste lingers for a bit longer than I would have liked. (387 characters)

12-oz bottle into weizen glass

A - crystal-clear straw yellow body under a finger-and-a-half of pure white bubbly foam; very carbonated; not how I prefer a beer to look, but certainly on par for the style; head is short-lived and leaves not a trace of lace

S - grass, faint fruitiness, flowery notes

T - honey-sweetened wheat, citrus, bittersweet citrusy finish

M - light/medium body, high carbonation, crisp and refreshing

O - not bad for a pale wheat (457 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a light gold color that is mostly translucent. I anticipated a cloudier pour, but alas, I was mistaken. About a quarter inch white fizzy head that disappears quickly.

S- Lots of honey on the nose. A rather light smell typical of other wheat ales.

T- Starts out with a surprising level of sweetness from the honey. That lingers for a bit, followed by a brief, light wheat taste. That is chased by a bit of hops bitterness, but finished quickly with little aftertaste on the palate.

M- Really light and carbonated. Definitely meant for summer, just like the name says.

Overall, this reminded me of Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss, but was definitely different. I enjoyed the sweetness and then the contrast with a little bitterness. Not sure if I'd seek this one out, but a good change of pace. (799 characters)

Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat from Coors Brewing Company