Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat - Coors Brewing Company

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 06-17-2011

Reviews: 129 | Hads: 1,018
3.65/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I got a six pack of bottles from a local store. It seemed to be well-kept and was well-within its date. However, it had a strangely metallic taste, which I later noticed even impacted the smell. I tried it both in the bottle and in a glass, and it retained this quality. It seemed to go away as I got farther down the glass, so maybe it was just a bit of oxidation. Anyway, the true flavor of the beer is pretty tasty, nothing to complain about. However, the honey simply doesn't come through, and without that, which was the main draw for me, it comes across as a far weaker and less robust product than the Belgian White. Kind of just like a wheaty, full-bodied macro.

2.69/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance is golden, with a decent head that fades away almost immediately.
Aroma is mild, inoffensive, but not much too it.
Taste is the real issue for me with this beer: I find it way too sweet. That takes away from what should be a refreshing summer beer. It's not refreshing, it's almost cloying (a mouthfeel issue too).

I drank a little over half the bottle, because hey, it was the only beer in my brother's fridge, and I wanted something to drink with my food. But I didn't finish it.

3.4/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Smells of sweet cereal grains, some other unidentifiable sweetness, maybe some faint wheat. Taste is lightly sweet, cereal, grainy. Very crisp, a bit sticky on the palate. Somewhat refreshing. Overall, nothing too exciting but not bad at all. Perfect for the summer.

1.81/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a light gold with a thin white head. Little retention and lacing.

S: Wheat, cracker, honey, sweet malts, and a slight earthiness.

T: Cracker, lemon, and honey.

M: Feels like a light beer.

O: Not much to it. Not bad but not good.

3/5  rDev 0%

Best by 10/5/15.

Pours a clear gold with a foamy bone head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is quite subtle with some grain, wheat, and slight honey aromas. Taste is much the same with sweet grain, wheat, and corn flake flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of earth bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is decent but fairly boring in my opinion.

Serving type: bottle.

3.06/5  rDev +2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not a huge Blue Moon fan to begin with. This is the worst of them yet. Stale grassiness that has me checking the freshness date. Pass this one up, it's garbage and a drain pour.

3.3/5  rDev +10%

Very smooth, not much going on. Tastes like a great version of cheap beer--very refreshing, but it's almost too simple. That said, that's all I expect from a seasonal. A friendly redneck would drink this beer. Does that make sense? If not, try it and you'll know what I mean.

4.6/5  rDev +53.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The most classic Blue Moon if you ask me. I'm a big lover of beer in the summer so obviously this would be my choice. It tastes very wheaty and a bit floral. Another great beer with an orange slice and perfect after a day of work and relaxing on your patio.

3.05/5  rDev +1.7%

3.2% ABW (4.0% ABV) Version from Crest Foods in Oklahoma.

Pours to a rapidly receding head and clear yellow gold color. Aroma is weak pale and wheat malt with a hint of floral and citrus. Flavor is clean and weak, can't discern much of what the label promises other than the wheat and some malt sweetness. A blah and mediocre beer. not bad tasting, just lacking any distinct character. It is refreshing and feels good going down. Better than drinking a regular BMC but that's it.

2.43/5  rDev -19%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Smells like a BMC with a little bit more wheat.
Appearance- This is a clear golden color with a large white head.
Palate- A moderate bodied beer with heavy carbonation. This beer has an unpleasant aftertaste that does not go away with each sip.
Overall- Hugely disappointing. This is a very poorly made brew.

2.7/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Clear pale yellow color with no head. Light honey smell. Tastes like a wheat with honey added. Not too sweet but the honey is obvious. Watered down with super light carbonation. MF is the main issue here and it can't be ignored.

1.25/5  rDev -58.3%

I was expecting something like a Leinenkugel Summer Wheat but was hugely disappointed. All I could taste was honey and hops with no substantial wheat flavor. It was hard for me to finish it. The younger folk at the neighborhood party seems to enjoy it much more than I did.

4.9/5  rDev +63.3%

After a 16 hour workday, it really hits the spot, definitely alongside a burger and some bacon :D The unfiltered taste on the tongue is just like "fuck yeah!" It's smooth, has a full flavor, and I always end up heading to the fridge to grab a second one :D

3.38/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Wheat colored, light, yellow amber. Pleasing for a summer brew.
Smell: Not great. Smells a bit like cheaper beers such as Miller or Coors. Very pronounced wheat notes with honey.
Taste/mouthfeel: A bit harsh initially, but the taste softens almost immediately to one of refreshing amber and honey. The wheat is still present, especially in the aftertaste.
Overall: Pleasing in taste, this makes a decent summer beer. Similar to Grainbelt or Leinenkugel's Honey weiss.

1.92/5  rDev -36%

Tastes almost exactly like a regular blue moon except a little more of a wheat flavor and a n overwhelming honey flavor that I just didnt care for. Its like someone grabbed a bottle of honey and mixed it with a blue moon. It just isnt a good combination.

3.66/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle into glass. Appearance is a strong wheat color. Smell is poor with the wheat and honey coming through. The taste is fairly bland with the honey and wheat shining through. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth though. Very good summer beer, especially for the price this can be picked up for. Compare to Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss. Good summer beer overall.

3.25/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had a tasting of this where I work today; not a bad offering, and it's my second in the Blue Moon library, to be exact. While I only had about a shot glass worth of beer (I got a bottle in my fridge, so I'll be doing a rereview soon, if necessary), it's an effective drinker for the season, however, its clove honey taste and rather mild but effective filling overall make this sort of a Blue Moon Light than a really different product from the traditional Blue Moon. Still, there is a nice difference to this beer that's more on-par with a honey beer that's available year-round rather than a limited-batch shandy during the summertime.

Still, when it comes down to the macrobrew Belgian White wars, I got to side with Shock Top, for, in just two of their beers, I could really taste their complexities and their differences, where both of the Blue Moon offerings that should be drastically different are quietly interchangeable to a degree.

3.45/5  rDev +15%

The nose was weak and didn't reveal much but soft wheat, honey, Apple and pear. The flavor, though, surprised me greatly as it was nicely balanced and appropriately measured between wheat malt dryness, honey sweetness, apple crispness and even pear like freshness. This is surprisingly complex as it is macro-brewed and by look and scent a bit boring but the flavor delivers a nice bang for the buck.

3.85/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

While I am not a fan of honey, this beer was actually really good. It will definately be enjoyed again on a hot summer day. The head was very creamy looking with nice lace that quickly disappeared from the glass.

3.79/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Great summer beer. Honey is not overwhelming. Great taste. Easy to drink. Will definitely get it again.

3.14/5  rDev +4.7%

ya know.... I think ya just need the right stuff at the right time... because I KNEW what to expect from this guy, but the very cold, light, easy-drinking nature while I am hot and sweaty and getting ready for the Kings' Game 3 just tasted pretty darned good. I poured it softly so I wouldn't lose any flavor in the head, and I certainly got the corn-piss-adjunct in it, but it was okay. okay for right now, otherwise i'd be urinating on the bottle just about any other time I would drink it. yeah, I guess I can be a 'snob', but i'm a fair one, no? and as much as I abhor that camel piss swill bud light, they have a pretty decent commercial they're playing during the hockey playoffs....

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

Consumed June 7th, 2014 directly from the bottle by the pool in a friend's back yard, which should be the optimal consumption environment for this brew.

Appearance cannot be rated properly since I drank directly from bottle, so I'm going with "average" since I couldn't tell.

Aroma was indistinct sweetness and a touch of orange.

Flavor was very mild. Almost no wheat taste (that tell-tale, agreeable metallic zing) nor yeast character (soft powdery notes, floral, peppery, bananas, cloves, etc...) which leaves the tongue wandering around, searching for elusive notes of orange (found it) and honey (got it, too). Seriously muted with bashful flavors all around.

Average mouthfeel with moderate levels of carbonation and medium body.

Overall, a pretty pointless brew, in my opinion. I want to actually taste the ingredients, not pound thin beer water by the pool.

3.03/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pale gold color, clear. Some carbonation. Thin head.

Very faint. I could smell a little bread and lemon.

sweet, bready, grainy, touch of honey. Some crisp bitterness towards the end, a little lemon-pepper. Finish is very dry, a little chalky. Body is light, dry, a little flat.

It's an average beer.

3.23/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A light hazy colored brew with white soapy froth. Aroma is sweet with lemon, honey and bread. In the taste, lemon and honey. Faint bitterness does little to stand in the wat malty dextrins. Light body with a smooth medium carbonation. Overall, this is a ok beer, it is refreshing in its ways. Not bad.

The stuff is awful. There is just no other word for it. It looks good, but that is where it ends. Smells like staw-corn-piss mixture, nasty coors based yuck! I guess it did not help that I drank a Westy 12 before this, but even if I did'nt, this beer is the pits. Taste is exactly like the smell is and like if it could actually get any worse...the taste goes down hill as it warms and ends with a genuine used toilet water taste. I purchased a 12 pack of the collection including Summer, Regular, Farmhouse, and the Agave Blond, and all of them were equally disgusting nasty beer. The color was different between them all, but other than that, all taste nasty. I just can't get past that nasty wet liquid corn taste ... it is repulsive. I am not totally against Coors as Coors light would rank a 5 against this nasty-ass shit.

Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat from Coors Brewing Company