Blue Moon Valencia Amber Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: phishsihq on 01-26-2012

very disappointed with this beer. labeling was just a gimic. went on blue moon web site, and of course all they have is positive posts, and i could not even post my reveiw. one suprising fact is that they say one of there brewmasters was schooled in belgium. that has to be a lie. (280 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -48.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This is something that sounds absolutely fine in theory but somehow remarkably gets screwed up.

Blue Moon is totally okay. It's not so good that I balk at putting an orange slice in it, however, as it's a little boring and the citrus livens it up nicely. So, naturally, a pre-mixed Valencia Blue Moon should be nice.

But the Valencia tastes very strong and very chemical. It's not even orgeat syrup; more like someone chewed up some orange Starburst then sprayed them with Lysol to disinfect them and then dumped them into a batch of a middling wheat beer. (561 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Made the mistake of letting my curiosity get the best of me. Was going to pick up the regular Blue Moon, but saw this offering and figured I would see what it had to offer. Big mistake. First off, this isn't a horrible tasting beer. It's actually doesn't have much taste or flavor at all. All I get from this is a slight bit of spice, with a little odd flavor in the finish, almost malt liquor-ish. It's 5.9 ABV, so it packs a little more punch than the tradional 4.5-5.2 ABV beers, but taste wise this is almost as neutral as you can get. Not what I want when buying a "craft " beer, as Anything I've tried from Samuel Adams has much more character than this offering. This is like the guy in the crowd who just blends in and isn't noticed. I won't be buying this Blue Moon offering EVER again. (795 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I picked up the Blue Moon Spring sampler today which included this ale, the only Blue Moon variety I have not tried in my area. Poured into a Weizen glass. The pour left a nice two finger head with the color a nice amber. Nose was of caramel malt mainly. Mouth feel was somewhat thin. Carbonation was on the money, moderate just where I like it. Unfortunately, that is where the good news ends. The taste was more malty and sweet than anything else, and there was an almost medicine like aftertaste that is just awful. I have liked every Blue Moon variety I have tried up until this one, but I must say Coors failed with the Valencia amber ale. (644 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -34.8%

Bottom line - This beer is both poor quality and nauseatingly sweet. My gf and I both could not finish our 4oz sample. I wanted to throw up. Never again.

Appearance: The beer looked inoffensive enough, golden in color with a slightly darker red tint to it.

Smell: The beer smelled clearly of orange, with a standard wheat beer scent.

Taste: As noted above, it was overwhelmingly sweet, with notes of fake orange cough syrup. I was allowed to sample this beer in a small 4oz pour. The bartender told me that the beer was made using a standard process then infused with the Valencia orange flavor afterwards. This is plainly evident, in that the beer taste like it is an average beer that had orange-flavored cough syrup added to it.

Mouthfeel: It felt like I was going to throw up in my mouth. (796 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -30.4%

I love being able to buy singles. I can then review the beer and if such is my wont, I can buy more of the same. I am not a fan of buyer's remorse, which is what generally ensues when I buy in quantity.

From the bottle: "This copper-colored ale is crafted with roasted malts, Valencia orange peel, and a touch of wheat for a smooth taste with notes of citrus."; "Our Valencia Grove Amber is crafted with roasted malts, Valencia orange peel, and a touch of wheat for an uplifting orange, caramel aroma. It's the perfect inspiration for taking advantage of the season."; "Taste Responsibly" is negated by the presence of a fruit slice garnishing the glass. I thought that it already tastes of orange - are they suggesting a) gilding the lily, b) adding a different fruit or are they just mindless?

Onward! My initial pour netted me two-plus fingers of fizzy, tawny head with negligible retention. Nose was soft, definitely with a wheat presence underlain by a light citrusiness. Color was a deep amber/light copper with NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was soft and silky, terms that I usually do not associate with Blue Moon. The only problem was its lack of any real flavor. I did not get caramel either on the nose or in the mouth and the orange was so lacking as to constitute a waste of the Valencia orange peel prominently mentioned on the label. Finish was semi-dry, but so what? The astounding lack of discernible flavor left me wanting more. Not more of this, but more beer, like one with something that I could taste. This was as bland as white bread. (1,558 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.
Crystal clear amber brew with a reddish tinge. White foamy soda-like head recedes to a ring then leaves no lace.
Aroma is good, some spicy root beer-like notes, cola, roasted malt.
On the palate, though, there is a cloying slick sweetness that is unpleasant and reminds me of high fructose corn syrup-laden soda pop. This overwhelms the promising spice and burnt orange notes, leaving a burnt malt bitterness lingering. The burnt bitterness is an unpleasant partner to the artifical-tasting sweetness. Sorrry Coors, not good. (564 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with branded screw-top cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average; a lot of people like to bash Coors, but I think Blue Moon isn't all that bad. 5.9% ABV confirmed. Best before 06/03/13.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated; hell it'll probably be overcarbonated.

A: Pours a three finger, beige colour, thin head of no cream and below average (~1 minute) retention. Body colour is a yellow-copper. Semitransparent; translucent.

Sm: No yeast or alcohol comes through. Light light light caramel malt. Light amber malts. A touch buttery. Light to mild in strength.

T: Buttery toffee. Light caramalt. Clean barley. No yeast notes or alcohol come through. Imbalanced and mediocre. Simple. Lacks complexity or subtlety. Kinda crappy, to be honest. Clean. Maybe - maybe - a touch of brief orange; but it's as crap an orange note as you'll ever find.

Mf: Smooth, wet, light, and poorly carbonated. Not crisp enough for the style. Suits the flavour profile poorly. Clean, at least.

Dr: Drinkable but severely underwhelming. Dareisay crappy - and I do. Yeah, this kinda sucks. Definitely wouldn't get this again. It's far worse than ordinary Blue Moon. ABV is hidden alright. Another poor beer from Blue Moon.

High D (1,415 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Very light cinnamon amber color. The white head recedes to a fine wisp with no lacing.

Aroma: Brown sugar, cinnamon, faint orange.

Taste: Cloyingly sweet brown sugar, malts, and holiday spices, earthy organic orange peel in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy.

Overall: This tasted more like a pumpkin ale than an amber. (358 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured deeper amber colored. Smell was malty and spiced, but nothing special. Taste was sort of the same. Not a whole lot going on. Malt, and a smidge of tart citrus. Mouthfeel is thin. Overall, its a middle of the road brew. Would have decent drinkability. Its straight forward. And 5.9% abv which isnt horrible either. (320 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -15.2%

Light amber/iced tea color. Surprisingly crystal clear. Inch and a half of foam on top. Held pretty well, too.

Prominent coriander and pilsner-like malt grassiness. Faint citrus peel. Hop bitterness comes through, partly lost in metallic notes. Missing a more prominent ale yeast profile. Lager-y.

I taste bitterness, fake citrus, and nickels. Very thin wheat profile, thin malts in general. Hops haven't really contributed to flavor other than some grassiness. Hard to imagine that they were going for an orange-y amber ale. Shaking my head over here.

A little too fizzy, but the body isn't terribly thin. Dextrin-y for this style.

Biggest penalty incurred right here. Poor. Avoid. (686 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

twist cap with a faint pssh sound. no build up, no 'fuerza!' just a limp-dick pssh... am I biased already? apparently....
no carbonation to speak of, no real head.... smell is frickin' corn crap.... why do I do this to myself??? gawd, there really is a difference in REAL craft beer and this swill.... ohh, but it's 5.9% ! ! ! ! typical adjunct garbage. prefer a miller lite to this crud. what a let down after that AWESOME velvet merlin I was so surprised of.... a friend of mine LOVES this stuff... blech!
say no more. (521 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours burnt amber with modest head and minimal lacing. Aroma has a hint of orange that accents an otherwise indefinable musk. The initial sip is actaully quite nice, with a pleasing crispness introducing a tame caramel malt flavor. The whole thing falls apart on the back end though, where the palate is flooded with the taste of stale wheat and alcohol. The body is also a little watered down in my opinion. This beer has an almost Belgian aspect to it, but it's so inexpertly done as to be hard to appreciate. I guess I'll give Blue Moon a nod for trying something different, but the result wouldn't stand up against a quality craft beer. (640 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -12.5%

A - Pours a very clear amber with a thin quarter finger of off white head that quickly dissipates to a ring around the glass. Left no lacing.

S - Smells of slight orange peel an cinnamon.

T - At first comes a lingering slight orange peel flavor, followed by some very cheap malts and adjuncts.

M - Medium bodied with very high carbonation.

O - Overall, it's alright for easy drinking, but not a craft beer by any means. could perhaps be used as a cross over beer but that's about the extent of it. (502 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Portion of a 12 oz bottle into a Hunahpu's snifter. Hey, at least it's not as bad as putting Budweiser Black Crown in it...from notes.

A: Pours an orange-amber color, with no head. I'll chalk it up to my glass being somewhat dirty at this stage.

S: There's some orange and sweet caramel. Pretty blah, which isn't too surprising.

T: An orange-y start fades into a finish of really bland wheat. If the nose was pretty blah, the flavor is really blah.

M: Relatively light and crisp. Still, the sweetness detracts from the drinkability too much.

O: Eh, not great. Still, I've had far worse. (591 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a clear light to medium amber in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some golden orange highlights. The beer has a half finger tall light beige head that quickly reduces to a very thin film covering about half of the surface of the beer with a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of caramel malts with just a light touch of orange citrus though there is something slightly artificial about it. Some notes of wheat as well.

T: Very similar to the smell, there are light to moderate flavors of wheat and caramel malts upfront with some lighter notes of orange/citrus (though it is not a citrus hop but more of an artificial orange flavor). Light bitterness that fades pretty quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: I did not have very high expectations for this beer but I was still slightly disappointed - I really like Valencia oranges and I could not really detect that smell or flavor at all. Easy to drink but really nothing special and the flavors do not seem to integrate well together. (1,126 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The appearance is a medium amber color. The head was about 1/2 inch at the pour and about 1/4 inch through the drink.

The smell is very sweet. At first it reminded me of grapes followed closely by a strong malt.

The taste kept growing but in a negative sense; it is quite sweet (I smelled a sweet, grape flavor) and kept growing on my tongue with every drink. Halfway through the beer and the sweetness is very strong, there is nothing to balance the sweetness, and very little counter-acting flavor (like a hop flavor).

The mouth feel is average at best. Because it is such a sweet flavor, I cannot help but associate it with a syrupy drink, like soda. It is fairly carbonated, almost too much.

Overall the the beer is only average. The sweetness almost reminds me of Robitussin...yes, Robitussin. Very sweet upfront, then a smooth follow, but not too appealing to me. There is just no other flavor to compliment, balance, counteract, or negate the sweetness of the beer. Besides the color, I think I missed the point of defining this brew as an Amber or Red Ale. Not until the end of the beer did I realize that it reminds me of soda, carbonated and sweet! I think I will stick with the Blue Moon's with a blue label... (1,225 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is clear light amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of caramel malts, wheat and orange citrus are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell but the mixture of flavors isn't very pleasant.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I didn't really enjoy the combination of flavors as they didn't seem to have a good balance that were palatable to your taste buds. (643 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -7.4%

not really much to say here, pretty bellow average attempt at an amber ale. Crystal clear amber color, head is ok. Kinda reminds me of a not as good, filtered belgian white. (173 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a handsome amber color with a very thin foam in the big Duvel tulip. A whiff of custard. Lightly carbonated with fine bubbles. The mouthfeel is thickish. Something like malt with some caramel. Reminds me of Hawaiian bread, kind of sweet and doughy.

I don't taste oranges specifically, but there is a citrus tang. It's more like a fruity bitterness with a touch of yeast. I can't say there is anything really wrong with this, it just has an odd, persistent flavor without much beery refreshing quality. No trace of hops, which would be odd for an Amber Ale, if that's what this is. It seems more like a bleary and bloated Witbier. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Ralph's Supermarket in San Clemente. (706 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clean copper penny color. Strong pour resulted in a 1" head. No lacing. Moderate carbonation. Aroma of bread & citrus. Mild citrus taste with a mild malt flavor. Everything about this beer is mild, which makes it easy to drink. Nice flavor, smooth. Comes across as a nice spring/summer beer. (299 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -4.4%

Sampler bottle.

It pours a deep amber with a nice head of foam and very good lacing.

It smells malty, bready, with a light note of some hop citrus.

The taste is malty but not overly sweet, grainy-of bread, slightly nutty, almost no hop bitterness. Dull.

Not offensive but not something I'd turn to. I'm glad I paid 0$ for the bottle. (337 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

The beer pours a burnt orange/ amber color with a thin filmy off white head.

It smells of butter and biscuits with hints of honey and grain. Tastes pretty average, some sweet caramel malt and macro flavor is all I detected. It is medium bodied with low carbonation and a forgettable finish.

For a supposed amber, this really wasn't that good, I would drink it over a regular macro though. (392 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This is not just Valencia Amber Ale but Valencia GROVE Amber. Special.

The copper-colored ale smells of wheat malts and the typical array of blue moon spices, plus orange peel. I like the taste, because I like orange juice, and it tastes just like OJ! At least it has flavors similar to that of good, fresh-squeezed valencia orange juice, the type served in Spanish cafes. As an amber, though, it misses the mark. Some pale and sweet malts lay a soft base, but the orange flavor dominates. The mouthfeel also reminds me of thick but pulp-free orange juice with just a bit of carbonation.

This 'beer' is enjoyable to drink as long as I don't think too hard about it. So I keep my beer review short and just enjoy the OJ-esque malt beverage. (742 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours more of a dark golden color then amber. The head dies pretty quick with a spot of lace here and there. The smell is a very light carmal, strong citrus and kinda just plain. The taste is a little better, a little more toasted malt with a stronger citrus taste. Mouthfeel is thin to slight medium. Not very great but I have no problem drinking it. (351 characters)

Blue Moon Valencia Amber Ale from Coors Brewing Company