1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Agave Nectar AleBlue Moon Agave Nectar Ale

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 04-08-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 614 | Reviews: 80 | Show All Ratings:
mynie

Indiana

1.13/5  rDev -62.7%

Ticks have been debased. Ratebeer has always been shit, and the “Gots” section on beeradvocate has it made it so somewhere around 50% of any given beer’s ratings are illegitimate. There was a time when I took having had X number of beers as a reliable measure of ones beersmanshp. Back then, I would review every beer I drank and try my best to get hold of as many new beers as possible, no matter how bad they looked, because adding to my review total was all that mattered.

Back then, I would have tried this months ago. Not now. Now, even if someone had given it to me at a party, I normally wouldn’t have thought to review it. Because why bother, you know? It don’t matter.

Plus, most big brewer beers are pretty okay. A friend gave me a Michelob Ultra pomegranate. Know what it tasted like? Watery beer and pomegranate. That is, it didn’t taste bad. Not great, not beery, but not awful. It was product that someone had paid money for, and so Adheiser Busch made sure it didn’t taste horrible.

Blue moon is rot. It’s a horrible concoction made by shitty people and marketed to know-nothing dickheads who assume that a higher price always necessarily yields a superior product. These people wouldn’t be caught dead serving Bud or Miller at their parties, because those are what poor people drink, but they’re too stupid and lame to buy something that isn’t awful. This beer was made especially for them, especially for the worst people in the world.

Blue Moon Agave is one of the most revolting things I’ve ever drank, and I need to prevent others from succumbing to it.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to mix agave nectar and beer? Don’t blame Tequiza or Miller Chill. Those at least try to taste like margaritas, meaning their flavor is mostly lime and salt. Who thought that it was a good idea to mix shitty, burny, chemical-tasting well tequila with an American Pale Wheat? That person was fucking stupid.

It tastes like something your body doesn’t want inside of it. It’s an awful attempt at an awful product and it’s just surprisingly bad, even from Coors.

07-12-2013 17:44:50 | More by mynie
inxy

1.75/5  rDev -42.2%

My first ever drain pour. Tastes like extra crisp cheap malt liquor.
You know, that unnatural, chemically sweetness that you get in any cheap high gravity 40.
I would never buy this again. There's no niche situation where this is a good idea.

Go with a cider instead.

08-08-2013 00:28:11 | More by inxy
Fatehunter

Oregon

1.85/5  rDev -38.9%

Straw color with almost a finger of head. Descent looking.
Metallic smelling with a candy smell, probably the agave? Still, it doesn't really come out well.
Tastes like water, then a sweetness like kool-ade. The sweetness, without changing, lasts until the end.
Lighter body with some fizzyness to it.
A below average beer overall. Not a hint of blond ale in it. It's really just an agave booze drink.

10-02-2012 23:25:02 | More by Fatehunter
skyisland

Missouri

1.91/5  rDev -37%

Pardon me for the following abrupt comment, but someone needs to say it:
Next time I will just drink a coke...same cloyish sweetness. This this thing tastes like a childrens' breakfast cereal. Reminds me of the 'swayt tay' or sweet tea that rural Texans are so fond of.

08-21-2013 03:33:09 | More by skyisland
Bitterbill

Wyoming

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Sampler bottle.

It pours a hazy orange gold with a good head of foam and leaves some lacing.

It smells of sweet malt with some lemon zest.

The taste is sweet malt, light lemon zest, weird taste from the Agave that's kind of honey like but not.

Okay, I'm not liking this one at all. I struggled to take 4 sips and now, the struggle is ending. A drain pour for me.

12-08-2012 16:51:08 | More by Bitterbill
jtierney89

Clear deep golden hue with white head. Honestly taste like a full bodied American pale lager with a hint of agave flavoring. Full body, rich cereal grains, finishes clean with a faint lingering agave sweetness. Pretty bland, drinkable. Slightly tart possibly from the agave, gains a little bit of Pucker like flavor as you keep drinking. I was hoping for more agave flavor, if that's what your looking for you'll be severely let down with a mediocre grainy beer.

09-09-2013 18:24:43 | More by jtierney89
dacrza1

2.1/5  rDev -30.7%

DATE TASTED: February 22, 2014... GLASSWARE: Weihenstaphaner weizen .. OCCASION: final night to cheer on our winter Olympians... APPEARANCE: copper-gold body with uneven effervescence; thin, off-white head presents no immediate thickness; no tracing = not inviting... AROMA: pungent,, malty; tougher to pick out thee agave--comes across more as a candied apple...PALATE: a bit dry; slight, oily mouthfeel--drinkable but indistinguishable...TASTE: tangy, metallic aftertaste; malty, syrupy sweet; some fruity, lemony wheatgrass too; rather bland, however, like an original Blue Moon that got itself confused at the factory... OVERALL: I feared this review--not interested in slamming tonight--and yet the beer did not repulse as its first summer sampling had--only wet my lips and slightly refreshed my thirst...did the delayed rating weaken its taste? ...

03-01-2014 16:40:20 | More by dacrza1
Brad007

Vermont

2.31/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a golden yellow color with a white one-finger head into my glass. White wheat? What the hell? This is golden!

The agave adds a touch of sweetness other than coriander or orange peel to a base wheat ale. Actually makes it smell more like regular Coors.

The sweetness of the agave clashes with what tastes like clove (from the wheat). Harsh.

Unsavory mouthfeel that nearly triggers my gag reflex. The bottle claims that it's fresh until Sept 2013.

Agave and wheat don't seem to go well, at least not in this ale. It's so bad, that you might as well just drink Coors.

04-14-2013 23:34:53 | More by Brad007
MIchelle318

2.38/5  rDev -21.5%

Blue moon failed me on this one. I didn't hate it but I usually am very pleased with almost all varieties. I bought this in the variety pack and tried it with optimism. Not pleased. typical flat ale on smell, flat on taste and the overall feel was....I was left unsure on all of it. left me wondering what happened with this one

02-20-2013 00:40:41 | More by MIchelle318
kojevergas

2.44/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Best before August 26th, 2013. Expectations are fairly low. 5.6% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with twist-off pressure cap acquired as part of a seasonal Blue Moon variety box yesterday night at my local Von's grocery store and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. I think the 12 pack cost something like $14.99. I'm none too keen on the idea of a Coors-brewed beer involving agave.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor; overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger white colour head - pathetically thin - with no cream whatsoever and of below average (~1.5 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear translucent pale copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Okay vibrance. No severe flaws are obvious, but it's far from unique or special. Not horribly excited about it based on the appearance alone.

Sm: The aroma isn't any better. Artificial agave syrup extract. Malty sweetness. Generic minimal floral hop character. Redolent of a malty Mexican lager. Too sweet. Luckily, it's mild in strength. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. Really suspicious of this.

T: Artificial agave, crappy malts. Minimal floral hop character is generic and muted. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Bland, boring, simple. There's little going on here. I get some homebrew-esque syrupy extract flavours. Maybe some corn adjunct? A poorly built ale. Its simplicity makes balance easy. Very tame and dull.

Mf: Smooth, wet, overcarbonated. Too thick considering its lack of flavour. Weak, yet featuring an inflated body. Doesn't really suit the flavour profile all that well. Meh.

Dr: Forgettable stuff from Blue Moon/Coors. I definitely wouldn't get it again. Maybe it'll help others to make the leap into craft/micro beer. Glad I got to try it, but far from impressed. Not recommended. It's drinkable but low quality. I do like the idea, but the execution is poor.

High D+

04-19-2013 04:39:24 | More by kojevergas
llevise

Colorado

2.45/5  rDev -19.1%

I'm a huge fan of Blue Moon for my everyday beer. I was excited when I got a couple of bottles of this in the summer seasonal pack. In fact, they were the first ones opened (one for my husband too). We were both disappointed. This is a combination that just doesn't work. It tastes nothing like any other Blue Moon product, in fact I can't think of any other beer that it tastes like. It's sweet, too sweet, and not even a good tasting sweet. Leaves an awful aftertaste. I love a good tequila now and then, and others have said it's similar. I didn't get that from this beer at all. It was just not an enjoyable drink. It wasn't awful, I did finish the bottle. In fact, my husband didn't like his, so I finished his too. I usually don't mind a beer a little warm. This was NOT good. Much better cold. I wouldn't buy this again and really don't recommend it unless someone is really into sweet beers.

08-04-2013 14:47:04 | More by llevise
general_staal

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a golden color which looked like an average lager.

Minimal foam approximately 1/4".

A biscuity, yeasty, aroma with a little bit of citrus.

The taste was average at best. It left a bit of a slick feel in the mouth which was a little disconcerting. Overall this was an average beer at best. I am comparing it to other agave wheats that I have tried and it doesn't come close to stacking up.

05-31-2013 00:25:59 | More by general_staal
Onenote81

2.56/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

A friend brought me a bottle of this as he knows I'm always down for trying something new-to-me. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear pale gold with a thin off-white head on top. Nose is sweet - fruity, floral, honey.

Crisp mouth, refreshing, easy drinking. Each sip of this gets sweeter and sweeter. I'm guessing that's agave I'm tasting? Sweet apples, mild citrus, faint spice. This is an odd one. A sweet fruity beer, that I would pass on in the future. Too artificial. Pass.

05-17-2013 20:33:07 | More by Onenote81
constantine_272

Oregon

2.59/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: Clear light gold. Low white head and bubbly. Looks like coors light.

S: Rice. Light alcohol note.

T: Weird sour mash flavor. I get an unseasoned fatty sort of flavor. The end finishes a too sweet for me, no doubt from the extra agave sugars.

M: Light. Thin. A little sugary mouthcoating aftertaste.

O: Too sweet for me. I'm not snooty about weird ingredients in my beers, but this was a miss.

04-06-2013 04:03:59 | More by constantine_272
mactrail

2.63/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light amber in the tall Peroni lager glass. Nice head. Pleasantly carbonated. A fruity smell, and something like cotton candy in the nose.

The taste is more like candy than beer, and not just the sweetness. It tastes like the agave syrup from the grocery. Not trace of hops, although there is some medicinal bitterness. If ever a beer was needing some crispness, this is the one. I'd call this a fruit/vegetable beer even if it was brewed from rye. I'm glad I only had a single of this one. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Barons Marketplace in San Diego.

06-29-2013 06:38:00 | More by mactrail
WVbeergeek

2.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Brilliant clear golden body with a massive white head, forms a thick band of lacing with each sip. Not bad smelling initially some biscuit malts, sharp wheat, and earthy quality. Pretty muted at first, but after a few sips and I let it warm there's the agave nectar, slightly syrupy notes arising. Flavor has more cereal grain, sharp wheat notes, and lingering sweetness that comes off as a simple syrup. I can see how this stuff could get fermented into Tequila, sharp sweet character from the agave additions. I'm not sure that it helps the flavor any. It's actually tooth numbingly sweet, and it doesn't help the overall beer any. I could definitely pass on this the next time, bad idea. I could see that if it was inspired by trips across Mexico. Mouthfeel is pretty cloying the sweetness is just too much ferment and distill this out into a new hybrid Tequila before drinking it. Light to medium boy linger residual sugars are the part I'm having a hard time with, carbonation no complaints in that department. Overall, hard to consume just not an enjoyable flavor profile, that's as constructive as I can be.

06-08-2012 18:03:45 | More by WVbeergeek
zeff80

Missouri

2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

A - Poured out a hazy, golden/orange color with a one-finger, white, long-lasting head of bubbly foam. It left very little lacing.

S - It smelled very sweet with agave and caramel.

T - It tasted very sweet with wheat, caramel and agave. Almost too sweet that was lacking in bitterness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and fairly smooth. A light bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is okay. The agave brought too much sweetness.

05-25-2012 01:35:54 | More by zeff80
McHenry

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

This beer is not one that I will buy again. I gave it a shot despite bad reviews because I like the other Blue Moon beers. I won't make that mistake again! It did not have a very distinct taste. Seemed to have too much going on. The only positive is that it did seem to improve towards the end.

06-02-2013 13:15:11 | More by McHenry
mk3

Utah

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

s- Really not much of a smell at all.
A- Light to medium gold.
T- Not a lot of flavor, no real taste of wheat and mildly hopped, a very light version of a Blonde Ale, but also an easy drinking beer, NOT unpleasant at all.
O- I was hesitant to try this beer for a couple of reasons. I have found Blue Moon beers to be either good, or, 'Not so good', and because of the Agave, I can't STAND Tequila!! That said, the best part of this beer is the 'aftertaste'..I know it sounds odd, but I like the lightly sweet finish with just a 'hint' of salt...Maybe it's just me, but I believe I'll drink this again.

05-21-2013 03:14:21 | More by mk3
dbrauneis

2.78/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Served on-tap at The Pourhouse in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a clear medium amber in color with minimal amounts of visible carbonation and some orange + brassy highlights. The beer has a quarter finger tall off-white head that quickly reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grain and corn adjunct malts over light notes of wheat with some hints of lime sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of grain and malt adjunct with a lighter amount of wheat. There is a light amount of sweetness from the agave with light hints of artificial lime and some metallic notes. Light amounts of bitterness in the finish which lingers but not for too long.

M: Medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: This beer is drinkable but not one that I would really desire to have again - it had some strange artificial flavors as well as metallic notes. The overall beer was rather one dimension with the sweetened graininess.

07-05-2013 20:26:12 | More by dbrauneis
LilBilly666

Georgia

2.8/5  rDev -7.6%

This was another "meh" release from Blue Moon.

Served from a 12oz bottle.

A: A tad bit lighter, and thinner color that a standard Blue. Light orange/yellowish.

S: It smelled just like a regular Blue Moon. No notes of anything else.

T: Much improved taste from the regular. I liked the sweetness that the agave nectar added to it.

MF: Average, leaning towards a bit on the light side. Watery...

Overall: I'd say this is better than a regular BM. Not great, but not horrible.

06-21-2013 15:09:21 | More by LilBilly666
shanny1981

Georgia

2.91/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A - Hazy golden amber yellow with medium head about an inch that dissipates almost as soon as you pour it (45 degree in a tulip glass), but leaves behind a couple millimeters of clear white fizzle at the rim
S - somewhat sweet, doughy and grainy smell of wheat, yeast and hints of malt
T - Pretty negligible taste with regards to the agave. Not sure if this was a marketing strategy for those that appreciate a sweet beer from time to time, but the agave was non-existent; quite a disappointment in terms of expectations from the agave nectar perspective
M - light body style of beer with light carbonation; easy to drink with light hops and very mild watered down aftertaste. No bitter aftertaste with this one
O - a pretty average summer beer with nothing much to write home about, but a fairly okay beer. Nothing really special about this beer and with all the other great light to medium beers out there with true sweetness such as the hefeweizens and Dundees honey brown lager, why settle for this unless you got it on-sale like I did at your local grocer or package store

05-20-2013 22:30:39 | More by shanny1981
OWSLEY069

2.93/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clean deep yellow color with an off white head. In the aroma, a faint light fruitiness. In the taste, a dry fruitiness, almost honey like. A small bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dryer honey like aftertaste. Kind of sticky, very big honey presence, eh...

07-13-2013 16:10:47 | More by OWSLEY069
mfnmbvp

2.93/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date October 14, 2013 printed on the bottleneck. I haven't drank anything from Blue Moon Brewing Co. in quite a while, and this is a new one for me. Acquired as part of the summer seasonal variety pack. Expectations are average given the fact this is a Coors product.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours just over a finger of light tan / khaki foam. Body color is a brassy goldenrod with some tiny specks of sediment floating around. Some bubbles lazily floating topside. Looks alright, for what it is.

S - Smell is pretty bland and boring. Some pale dusty malt, grains, and a bit of sugary sweetness, which I'm going to attribute to the agave syrup.

T - Taste is about what I expected. Some wheat, corn, grain. Some sugary syrupy sweetness, which I'm going to assume is the "agave nectar". Doesn't taste bad, but it's not natural tasting, and the quality of the ingredients used shows through here.

M - Feel is again, sugary, syrupy, and sticky with a bit of carbonation dancing on the tongue.

Overall, it's an easy drinking beer that I could see pairing well with some summer / autumn barbeque, but otherwise there isn't much to see. Tastewise, I would take this over Blue Moon Belgian White any day.

Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale ---3/5.

09-17-2013 18:13:56 | More by mfnmbvp
teromous

2.95/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Brilliantly transparent dark golden body with a medium-sized white head that doesn't last long. Pretty low carbonation. No lacing on the glass.

S: Some mild spicy noble hop aroma. Nothing else comes out.

T: Some lighthearted caramel flavor...the caramel flavor is very pronounced but it isn't full tasting, and lifts a bit at the end of drinking. I guess this is supposed to have agave nectar in it? I don't pick up what the agave nectar contributes to the beer. I don't get any wheat flavor either. If either of these flavors were supposed to be the showcase, they've failed to make it to the show. There is a familiar noble hop bitterness in the background which is very nice.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty lackluster. It feels too thin for a wheat beer, feels under-carbonated, and just lacking in general. It is a very easy drinker though.

O: Overall it was a pretty mediocre beer. It's not something I'll probably pick up again, but it'll do in a pinch. I feel that it is important to note that this is not a flavored version of the standard Blue Moon style beer. This is a completely different beer. The beer doesn't taste bad or anything, but nothing really stands out in this forgettable brew.

07-08-2013 20:45:08 | More by teromous