1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Agave Nectar AleBlue Moon Agave Nectar Ale

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 04-08-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 614 | Reviews: 80 | Show All Ratings:
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.46/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I bought this for my girlfriend, who ended up disliking it. I didn't mind it so much, as long as I got it down when it was ice cold, the warm version of this is brutal. the pour is a pretty clear golden color for a blue moon, copper hues and a short lived half inch of white bubbles. the agave gives it a sweeter smell, unfermented sugars, with that familiar tequila vibe. malts are bigger than they need to be here, too much caramel in the context of the agave sweetness, its one or the other here, not both. still, its only in the finish that the sweetness hits, and its a malty summery sort of brew beforehand, which when ice cold, really isn't too bad. more carbonation would help, or better carbonation retention, and a slightly lighter body would make it a better hot weather beer. I really didn't mind this one though, I think its creative and reasonably well put together for a blue moon.

06-24-2013 14:23:06 | More by StonedTrippin
LilBilly666

Georgia

2.8/5  rDev -7.6%

This was another "meh" release from Blue Moon.

Served from a 12oz bottle.

A: A tad bit lighter, and thinner color that a standard Blue. Light orange/yellowish.

S: It smelled just like a regular Blue Moon. No notes of anything else.

T: Much improved taste from the regular. I liked the sweetness that the agave nectar added to it.

MF: Average, leaning towards a bit on the light side. Watery...

Overall: I'd say this is better than a regular BM. Not great, but not horrible.

06-21-2013 15:09:21 | More by LilBilly666
JuanBlanco

Do you like tequila? Do you like beer? Have them both now. Pick your self up a six pack and slam them down. Enjoy it you will thank yourself for it. So the first beer play out as the following "Hello, how are you today. What you came to party? " the second beer tells you that you drank the first way too slow and I got friends that want to join in." We'll so the fourth one comes in and says "hey I know you yes I told you this was a party." Well I'm gonna enjoy the other 2 now they asked about you i told them you would join them soon. So don't let them down and pick yourself up some of the Blue Moon seasonal.

06-21-2013 04:45:59 | More by JuanBlanco
watermelonman

2.98/5  rDev -1.7%

This poured to a pale and clear shade of orange, without any fanfare and a lone thin ring of lace.

The smell is reasonable, made up of malt, grain, and a few hints of various sugars. Agave, according to the label, but I would have a tough time positively identifying that. The taste is a little less interesting but a little more appealing, sharing the malt and sugar, and real or perceived I did get the agave this time. A touch of bitterness dots the finish. Mouthfeel is somewhat sharp.

Beats regular Blue Moon, but that is a low bar.

06-18-2013 04:27:24 | More by watermelonman
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.05/5  rDev +0.7%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Stamped AUG2613-C05100357. Sampled on June 13, 2013.

The color is golden yellow with a short-lived white head.

The aroma is vaguely malty, grainy, but not much wheat for something that is considered a wheat ale. Hops are evident in a clean sort of way.

The texture is on the creamy side and the body is light.

The flavor has a lot of sweet maltiness going on with a crisp. kind of dry hop ending. Sweetness would be the best description. Still it is smooth.

I guess I was expecting something more exotic with the word nectar in the title.

06-14-2013 01:47:24 | More by puboflyons
jjamadorphd

3.55/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had high hopes for this Blue Moon, but ended up thinking - meh...

I could barely smell the agave, I smelled more honey than anything else. It's pour is somewhat impressive, but lacks any 'wow' factor, but it does go down smooth, real. Real smooth. That impressed me quite a bit. Overall, it's a decent entry by Blue Moon, just not one of their best.

06-14-2013 00:28:40 | More by jjamadorphd
BryanCarey

3.2/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer is straw/tan in color with a clear body and a clean profile. The head of foam is off white in color and very short- lasting, leaving no lacing at all as you drink. The nose on this beer combines scents of wheat, agave, and honey.

This beer has a sweet flavor profile. The sweet malt and the taste of honey are obvious and easily eclipse the other flavors present. There is also some biscuit character and the yeast certainly makes itself known. But there is almost no hop flavor at all. The sweet malt is what you taste practically all the way through.

With its sweeter than average flavor profile and easy- drinking, refreshing nature, this beer seems like a decent summer beer option. There is no harshness or bite whatsoever, and it can be consumed with abandon. But the easy drinkability isn’t necessarily a great quality and in fact, this beer is actually a little lacking in several areas, including the hop department.

Wheat and agave sound like an interesting combination, but the mixture is only semi- effective with this beer. It’s an okay beer that most will find decent enough to drink, but there are many others I would rather have in my pint glass during a hot summer afternoon.

06-13-2013 03:29:17 | More by BryanCarey
secondtooth

Indiana

3.1/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a clean golden amber with fine white head. Virtually no lace here.

Aroma is sweet and malty. I get tones of honey and a wee bit of hops. Not bad.

Taste is, as expected, malty and sweet. The agave nectar imbibes a honey-like sweetness that I can't get past. To it's credit, it drinks smoothly, but there's a distinct lack of complexity and a one-dimensionality that kills this one for me. Average at best.

06-03-2013 12:45:46 | More by secondtooth
McHenry

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev -9.9%

This beer is not one that I will buy again. I gave it a shot despite bad reviews because I like the other Blue Moon beers. I won't make that mistake again! It did not have a very distinct taste. Seemed to have too much going on. The only positive is that it did seem to improve towards the end.

06-02-2013 13:15:11 | More by McHenry
general_staal

2.55/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a golden color which looked like an average lager.

Minimal foam approximately 1/4".

A biscuity, yeasty, aroma with a little bit of citrus.

The taste was average at best. It left a bit of a slick feel in the mouth which was a little disconcerting. Overall this was an average beer at best. I am comparing it to other agave wheats that I have tried and it doesn't come close to stacking up.

05-31-2013 00:25:59 | More by general_staal
smakawhat

Maryland

2.98/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass.

Out of the bottle the body has a slight green tinge, but a mostly bronze and clear body, with some good amount of cola sized carbonation. Head is bleach white, a little creamy and also soapy retention, but settles to a half finger puck.

Bouquet is kind of small but pleasant. Light grains, a sense of small sweet floral like sense syrup and a hint of wheat density. Not bad.

Palate hits with a real noticeable sweetness. Syrup body with a hint of wet character and nearly flat texture. Minimal feeling carbonation strangely. Hints of sugar syrup with hardly any malt presence. Hints at a little touch of malt beverage alcohol warmth also.

I am not seeing what the appeal is here, this hardly tastes like beer, it's more of a sugary almost malt beverage sensation, and I am not finding this really appealing at all.

05-28-2013 22:56:01 | More by smakawhat
CaptJackHarkness

3.08/5  rDev +1.7%

Twelve ounce bottle freshness stamped August 26, 2013.

Sweet biscuit scent. Pours honey yellow with large white head. Head quickly faded to a thin non-lacing film. Taste is not what I anticipated. I connect agave to Tequila and expected something like Budweisers' Tequiza. This is more of a cloying coriander and sour spice ale. Not a drain pour but nothing to buy again.

05-27-2013 21:30:18 | More by CaptJackHarkness
jploving

South Carolina

3.31/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked this ole jewel up at my regular grocery store for $7.37.
I have had several Blue Moon products over the years and although I would not consider them a top notch innovator in the industry, I still enjoy their products.
This particular product caught my eye when it read "agave"---I know what it is but have no idea what it is supposed to taste like---so i bought it.
I assume that agave is sweet like unroasted barley and corn....that was pretty much what I got out of it. I have no idea if they use adjucts in their beer but it posessed that type of sweetness----and just enough bitterness to identify. Nice body- mouthfill and body were on par for a 5.6% abv.
I wish i could give a better reveiw, but I could not pull any real complexity from this beer....I liked it-better than my budget beer I usually keep in stock-bolder sweetness if nothing else-but not enough to spend $7.37 on it again.
Looks like i am going to have to give this a slightly better than average rating...3.25

05-27-2013 16:17:40 | More by jploving
Goosehunter75

Missouri

3.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a bright golden honey with a ton of bubbles. Has a 2 finger head with excellent retention

S- Light aromas of citrus, yeast and biscuits

T - Spicy tasting. Corriander? Light citrus in the background

M - A light beer, but has a good creamy feeling with lots of bubbles

O - A very refreshing beer. Would be enjoyable on a hot summer day in a pool. Would drink it again, but probably not one I'll pick up often.

05-25-2013 19:01:55 | More by Goosehunter75
hosehead83

3.03/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Chill-hazed gold in color, with a decent sized head of foam.
Aroma-Faint pale malt
Taste-Cucumber, faint wheat. The agave seem to work against the other flavors, lending an oily sweetish mouthfeel that seem out of place. Hats off to Blue Moon for trying to add to their flagship, but this one doesn't do it for me.

05-23-2013 21:32:54 | More by hosehead83
Shagdog-Jammer

3.11/5  rDev +2.6%

Out of the bottle the pour was nice and head was average and quickly dissipated.

Appearance: was golden to almost amber and carbonation on the average side.

Smell: agave with a slight beer aroma

Taste: agave with beer background, slight smokiness and faint cloves was found.

Mouthfeel: was average and taste lingered like an ale should.

Overall it was decent and reminded me of Amigos Tequila flavored beer, however it wasn't as strong on the alcohol side as the Amigos is. It was an alright Blue Moon beer not a favorite however pretty good.

05-22-2013 14:19:23 | More by Shagdog-Jammer
mk3

Utah

2.75/5  rDev -9.2%

s- Really not much of a smell at all.
A- Light to medium gold.
T- Not a lot of flavor, no real taste of wheat and mildly hopped, a very light version of a Blonde Ale, but also an easy drinking beer, NOT unpleasant at all.
O- I was hesitant to try this beer for a couple of reasons. I have found Blue Moon beers to be either good, or, 'Not so good', and because of the Agave, I can't STAND Tequila!! That said, the best part of this beer is the 'aftertaste'..I know it sounds odd, but I like the lightly sweet finish with just a 'hint' of salt...Maybe it's just me, but I believe I'll drink this again.

05-21-2013 03:14:21 | More by mk3
shanny1981

Georgia

2.91/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A - Hazy golden amber yellow with medium head about an inch that dissipates almost as soon as you pour it (45 degree in a tulip glass), but leaves behind a couple millimeters of clear white fizzle at the rim
S - somewhat sweet, doughy and grainy smell of wheat, yeast and hints of malt
T - Pretty negligible taste with regards to the agave. Not sure if this was a marketing strategy for those that appreciate a sweet beer from time to time, but the agave was non-existent; quite a disappointment in terms of expectations from the agave nectar perspective
M - light body style of beer with light carbonation; easy to drink with light hops and very mild watered down aftertaste. No bitter aftertaste with this one
O - a pretty average summer beer with nothing much to write home about, but a fairly okay beer. Nothing really special about this beer and with all the other great light to medium beers out there with true sweetness such as the hefeweizens and Dundees honey brown lager, why settle for this unless you got it on-sale like I did at your local grocer or package store

05-20-2013 22:30:39 | More by shanny1981
RyanTeeter

3.31/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I will open up by saying that it is allergy season and therefore my senses may be slightly off.

a: A nice clear straw color with little to no head.

s: This aspect is most effected by my allergies however the sweetness was still noticeable.

t: Very delicious. True to the style there is a nice caramel flavor there that is tied in nicely with the sweetness of the agave.

m: A crisp finishing beer with a pop of carbonation at the end makes this a very nice mouthfeel. Very little residual flavor hanging around.

o: I really enjoyed this beer. It was a very well balanced beer and remained true to the common American Ale style. I would certainly buy this again.

05-20-2013 01:49:54 | More by RyanTeeter
billybob

3.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours golden in color minimal head and lace is the best i can say about that. smell is a little better with a soft sweet veggie or really ripe fruit note. taste is slightly sweet some wheat and agave and mouthfeel very smooth light to medium but what hurt this beer most poor carbonation a little stronger would have made all the difference for me, i might buy again as a change of pace but it's not on my top list.

05-18-2013 16:04:06 | More by billybob
Onenote81

2.56/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

A friend brought me a bottle of this as he knows I'm always down for trying something new-to-me. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear pale gold with a thin off-white head on top. Nose is sweet - fruity, floral, honey.

Crisp mouth, refreshing, easy drinking. Each sip of this gets sweeter and sweeter. I'm guessing that's agave I'm tasting? Sweet apples, mild citrus, faint spice. This is an odd one. A sweet fruity beer, that I would pass on in the future. Too artificial. Pass.

05-17-2013 20:33:07 | More by Onenote81
CampusCrew

3.24/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A nice little light sweet pale wheat ale. Sweetness was not overdone. Poured a nice golden color wit h some fliffly white head. Smell was faint with no hop prezence what so ever. Decent little summery beer and I would drink this over the belgian wit anyday.

05-17-2013 19:18:14 | More by CampusCrew
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.03/5  rDev 0%

Best by Aug 26 2013:

Pours golden with a with head that becomes a wispy island. Minimal lacing sticks.

Smells grainy with a citric note. I guess agave is there.

The taste is grainy with sugar-coated tropical fruits. Bubblegum from yeast mixes in. Dry crackers add to the mix. Bland finish.

It is carbonated, and light-bodied.

This is so average. They tried to do something with a wheat ale that neither succeeded nor failed. Bland.

05-15-2013 16:34:26 | More by jwc215
Jarretdrinks

3.36/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

It wasn't bad ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... it was ok

05-09-2013 03:02:46 | More by Jarretdrinks
mikeferm

District of Columbia

3.69/5  rDev +21.8%

Solid beer, good taste, slightly sweet. Dark gold color, formed a decent head that disappeared quickly. Can taste the agave in it; sweet, but not too sweet. Slight carbonation, bubbles visible. Would buy again. Now interested in how agave would taste in other beers.

05-07-2013 02:07:32 | More by mikeferm