Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale - Coors Brewing Company

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 04-08-2012

2.64/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light amber in the tall Peroni lager glass. Nice head. Pleasantly carbonated. A fruity smell, and something like cotton candy in the nose.

The taste is more like candy than beer, and not just the sweetness. It tastes like the agave syrup from the grocery. Not trace of hops, although there is some medicinal bitterness. If ever a beer was needing some crispness, this is the one. I'd call this a fruit/vegetable beer even if it was brewed from rye. I'm glad I only had a single of this one. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Barons Marketplace in San Diego. (570 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Slightly hazy amber color with a thin head with low retention.
Light aroma of vanilla and wheat.
Different taste that you would expect to a wheat beer given the addition of agave nectar, which is subtle but gives its personality.
Light body with a good carbonation and a spicy and crisp feeling.
Interesting that even if it does not taste like tequila (thank you!), you can feel it and connect the agave here to its end product. Worth one try. (443 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +2.7%

A - clear golden orange with a thin, soft, fizzy white head that dissipates quickly

S - grainy, very sweet

T - caramel, grains, husk, sweet, mild bitterness

M - light to medium bodied, crisp, a bit sugary and sticky

This isn't really anything to write home about. If this were less grainy it would probably do better. If there was a more pronounced wheat presence offering some more husk and straw notes, then the sweetness would be a bit more balanced. As it stands it's a bit bland offering only faint notes of agave which are masked by an intense, sugary sweetness. This was nice to try and tick, but I won't be having it again. (635 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On-tap 6/23/2013 at Doherty’s Ale House in Warwick, RI, served in a tapered mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains wheat, light caramelized malts, a touch of fruit and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out very bready with strong flavors of wheat and a hearty malt character. Then some bitterness comes in but it doesn’t taste like it comes from the hops presence which is very mild. There’s a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, not the representation of style, there are a lot of other beers in the style that I would pick over this one. (845 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I bought this for my girlfriend, who ended up disliking it. I didn't mind it so much, as long as I got it down when it was ice cold, the warm version of this is brutal. the pour is a pretty clear golden color for a blue moon, copper hues and a short lived half inch of white bubbles. the agave gives it a sweeter smell, unfermented sugars, with that familiar tequila vibe. malts are bigger than they need to be here, too much caramel in the context of the agave sweetness, its one or the other here, not both. still, its only in the finish that the sweetness hits, and its a malty summery sort of brew beforehand, which when ice cold, really isn't too bad. more carbonation would help, or better carbonation retention, and a slightly lighter body would make it a better hot weather beer. I really didn't mind this one though, I think its creative and reasonably well put together for a blue moon. (896 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -8%

This was another "meh" release from Blue Moon.

Served from a 12oz bottle.

A: A tad bit lighter, and thinner color that a standard Blue. Light orange/yellowish.

S: It smelled just like a regular Blue Moon. No notes of anything else.

T: Much improved taste from the regular. I liked the sweetness that the agave nectar added to it.

MF: Average, leaning towards a bit on the light side. Watery...

Overall: I'd say this is better than a regular BM. Not great, but not horrible. (479 characters)

Do you like tequila? Do you like beer? Have them both now. Pick your self up a six pack and slam them down. Enjoy it you will thank yourself for it. So the first beer play out as the following "Hello, how are you today. What you came to party? " the second beer tells you that you drank the first way too slow and I got friends that want to join in." We'll so the fourth one comes in and says "hey I know you yes I told you this was a party." Well I'm gonna enjoy the other 2 now they asked about you i told them you would join them soon. So don't let them down and pick yourself up some of the Blue Moon seasonal. (614 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -1%

This poured to a pale and clear shade of orange, without any fanfare and a lone thin ring of lace.

The smell is reasonable, made up of malt, grain, and a few hints of various sugars. Agave, according to the label, but I would have a tough time positively identifying that. The taste is a little less interesting but a little more appealing, sharing the malt and sugar, and real or perceived I did get the agave this time. A touch of bitterness dots the finish. Mouthfeel is somewhat sharp.

Beats regular Blue Moon, but that is a low bar. (539 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +2%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Stamped AUG2613-C05100357. Sampled on June 13, 2013.

The color is golden yellow with a short-lived white head.

The aroma is vaguely malty, grainy, but not much wheat for something that is considered a wheat ale. Hops are evident in a clean sort of way.

The texture is on the creamy side and the body is light.

The flavor has a lot of sweet maltiness going on with a crisp. kind of dry hop ending. Sweetness would be the best description. Still it is smooth.

I guess I was expecting something more exotic with the word nectar in the title. (573 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had high hopes for this Blue Moon, but ended up thinking - meh...

I could barely smell the agave, I smelled more honey than anything else. It's pour is somewhat impressive, but lacks any 'wow' factor, but it does go down smooth, real. Real smooth. That impressed me quite a bit. Overall, it's a decent entry by Blue Moon, just not one of their best. (352 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer is straw/tan in color with a clear body and a clean profile. The head of foam is off white in color and very short- lasting, leaving no lacing at all as you drink. The nose on this beer combines scents of wheat, agave, and honey.

This beer has a sweet flavor profile. The sweet malt and the taste of honey are obvious and easily eclipse the other flavors present. There is also some biscuit character and the yeast certainly makes itself known. But there is almost no hop flavor at all. The sweet malt is what you taste practically all the way through.

With its sweeter than average flavor profile and easy- drinking, refreshing nature, this beer seems like a decent summer beer option. There is no harshness or bite whatsoever, and it can be consumed with abandon. But the easy drinkability isn’t necessarily a great quality and in fact, this beer is actually a little lacking in several areas, including the hop department.

Wheat and agave sound like an interesting combination, but the mixture is only semi- effective with this beer. It’s an okay beer that most will find decent enough to drink, but there are many others I would rather have in my pint glass during a hot summer afternoon. (1,252 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +4%

Pours a clean golden amber with fine white head. Virtually no lace here.

Aroma is sweet and malty. I get tones of honey and a wee bit of hops. Not bad.

Taste is, as expected, malty and sweet. The agave nectar imbibes a honey-like sweetness that I can't get past. To it's credit, it drinks smoothly, but there's a distinct lack of complexity and a one-dimensionality that kills this one for me. Average at best. (412 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -8%

This beer is not one that I will buy again. I gave it a shot despite bad reviews because I like the other Blue Moon beers. I won't make that mistake again! It did not have a very distinct taste. Seemed to have too much going on. The only positive is that it did seem to improve towards the end. (294 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured a golden color which looked like an average lager.

Minimal foam approximately 1/4".

A biscuity, yeasty, aroma with a little bit of citrus.

The taste was average at best. It left a bit of a slick feel in the mouth which was a little disconcerting. Overall this was an average beer at best. I am comparing it to other agave wheats that I have tried and it doesn't come close to stacking up. (400 characters)

3.02/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass.

Out of the bottle the body has a slight green tinge, but a mostly bronze and clear body, with some good amount of cola sized carbonation. Head is bleach white, a little creamy and also soapy retention, but settles to a half finger puck.

Bouquet is kind of small but pleasant. Light grains, a sense of small sweet floral like sense syrup and a hint of wheat density. Not bad.

Palate hits with a real noticeable sweetness. Syrup body with a hint of wet character and nearly flat texture. Minimal feeling carbonation strangely. Hints of sugar syrup with hardly any malt presence. Hints at a little touch of malt beverage alcohol warmth also.

I am not seeing what the appeal is here, this hardly tastes like beer, it's more of a sugary almost malt beverage sensation, and I am not finding this really appealing at all. (865 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +3%

Twelve ounce bottle freshness stamped August 26, 2013.

Sweet biscuit scent. Pours honey yellow with large white head. Head quickly faded to a thin non-lacing film. Taste is not what I anticipated. I connect agave to Tequila and expected something like Budweisers' Tequiza. This is more of a cloying coriander and sour spice ale. Not a drain pour but nothing to buy again. (372 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked this ole jewel up at my regular grocery store for $7.37.
I have had several Blue Moon products over the years and although I would not consider them a top notch innovator in the industry, I still enjoy their products.
This particular product caught my eye when it read "agave"---I know what it is but have no idea what it is supposed to taste like---so i bought it.
I assume that agave is sweet like unroasted barley and corn....that was pretty much what I got out of it. I have no idea if they use adjucts in their beer but it posessed that type of sweetness----and just enough bitterness to identify. Nice body- mouthfill and body were on par for a 5.6% abv.
I wish i could give a better reveiw, but I could not pull any real complexity from this beer....I liked it-better than my budget beer I usually keep in stock-bolder sweetness if nothing else-but not enough to spend $7.37 on it again.
Looks like i am going to have to give this a slightly better than average rating...3.25 (992 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a bright golden honey with a ton of bubbles. Has a 2 finger head with excellent retention

S- Light aromas of citrus, yeast and biscuits

T - Spicy tasting. Corriander? Light citrus in the background

M - A light beer, but has a good creamy feeling with lots of bubbles

O - A very refreshing beer. Would be enjoyable on a hot summer day in a pool. Would drink it again, but probably not one I'll pick up often. (421 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Chill-hazed gold in color, with a decent sized head of foam.
Aroma-Faint pale malt
Taste-Cucumber, faint wheat. The agave seem to work against the other flavors, lending an oily sweetish mouthfeel that seem out of place. Hats off to Blue Moon for trying to add to their flagship, but this one doesn't do it for me. (370 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Out of the bottle the pour was nice and head was average and quickly dissipated.

Appearance: was golden to almost amber and carbonation on the average side.

Smell: agave with a slight beer aroma

Taste: agave with beer background, slight smokiness and faint cloves was found.

Mouthfeel: was average and taste lingered like an ale should.

Overall it was decent and reminded me of Amigos Tequila flavored beer, however it wasn't as strong on the alcohol side as the Amigos is. It was an alright Blue Moon beer not a favorite however pretty good. (547 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -10.3%

s- Really not much of a smell at all.
A- Light to medium gold.
T- Not a lot of flavor, no real taste of wheat and mildly hopped, a very light version of a Blonde Ale, but also an easy drinking beer, NOT unpleasant at all.
O- I was hesitant to try this beer for a couple of reasons. I have found Blue Moon beers to be either good, or, 'Not so good', and because of the Agave, I can't STAND Tequila!! That said, the best part of this beer is the 'aftertaste'..I know it sounds odd, but I like the lightly sweet finish with just a 'hint' of salt...Maybe it's just me, but I believe I'll drink this again. (601 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A - Hazy golden amber yellow with medium head about an inch that dissipates almost as soon as you pour it (45 degree in a tulip glass), but leaves behind a couple millimeters of clear white fizzle at the rim
S - somewhat sweet, doughy and grainy smell of wheat, yeast and hints of malt
T - Pretty negligible taste with regards to the agave. Not sure if this was a marketing strategy for those that appreciate a sweet beer from time to time, but the agave was non-existent; quite a disappointment in terms of expectations from the agave nectar perspective
M - light body style of beer with light carbonation; easy to drink with light hops and very mild watered down aftertaste. No bitter aftertaste with this one
O - a pretty average summer beer with nothing much to write home about, but a fairly okay beer. Nothing really special about this beer and with all the other great light to medium beers out there with true sweetness such as the hefeweizens and Dundees honey brown lager, why settle for this unless you got it on-sale like I did at your local grocer or package store (1,077 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I will open up by saying that it is allergy season and therefore my senses may be slightly off.

a: A nice clear straw color with little to no head.

s: This aspect is most effected by my allergies however the sweetness was still noticeable.

t: Very delicious. True to the style there is a nice caramel flavor there that is tied in nicely with the sweetness of the agave.

m: A crisp finishing beer with a pop of carbonation at the end makes this a very nice mouthfeel. Very little residual flavor hanging around.

o: I really enjoyed this beer. It was a very well balanced beer and remained true to the common American Ale style. I would certainly buy this again. (665 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours golden in color minimal head and lace is the best i can say about that. smell is a little better with a soft sweet veggie or really ripe fruit note. taste is slightly sweet some wheat and agave and mouthfeel very smooth light to medium but what hurt this beer most poor carbonation a little stronger would have made all the difference for me, i might buy again as a change of pace but it's not on my top list. (415 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

A friend brought me a bottle of this as he knows I'm always down for trying something new-to-me. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear pale gold with a thin off-white head on top. Nose is sweet - fruity, floral, honey.

Crisp mouth, refreshing, easy drinking. Each sip of this gets sweeter and sweeter. I'm guessing that's agave I'm tasting? Sweet apples, mild citrus, faint spice. This is an odd one. A sweet fruity beer, that I would pass on in the future. Too artificial. Pass. (483 characters)

Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale from Coors Brewing Company