Blue Moon Short Straw Farmhouse Red Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Humulus85 on 06-09-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Short Straw Farmhouse Red Ale Alström Bros

tsgooch79, May 23, 2014

ACarp, Mar 31, 2014

er_code_blue, Jul 07, 2012

4thelvofbeer, May 29, 2014

bmjivi221, Jul 17, 2013

AHeaston8, Dec 10, 2013
1.13/5  rDev -63.3%

Short straw is the last straw for me with blue moon, idk why I keep fooling myself into thinking they will ever put something good out, heck I'd settle for "o.k." I mean you'd think for the fact that they have what, at least 30 different "styles" (more like flavors) that they would eventually put out something worth drinking! Well I guess thats too much to ask from Coors. I mean can this even be called an "ale"!? I'm trying hard to have one good thing to say about this beer but I can't think of anything.

A: almost got this one right, it has the slightest reddish brown tinge but nothing compared to a good version of this style, plus it looks super watery and extremely bubbly and carbonated for a flanders style.
T: yup it's blue moon, no doubt about it. At least when you drink a schells or a summit, it's easy to tell that is' one but at least they have more than one base style of beer, I think blue moon always starts out as a blue moon Belgian white ale and then they add stuff to it to make it taste different initially but it finishes like the same gross tasting ale. This also has a DISGUSTING mid-palate that tastes like PEROXIDE, yeah you really nailed that "sour" style feel guys... NOT! Then as it warms it taste more like a pilsner than anything....EPIC FAIL.
O.A. I REALLY have to try hard to remember no matter how good a new blue moon "FLAVOR" SOUNDS it's never in no way gonna be different. SHOCKTOP FOREVER!
P.S. also I have a stomach ache from 1/4 of this beer! unbelievable!!! Also I think I'm going to throw my Cassanova's pint glass away cuz it tainted it so much, ICK!

Beerlover, Apr 11, 2014
1.2/5  rDev -61%

I have had Blue Moon beers before and never been impressed, but a friend gave me this beer and told me to try it. Here goes.

Served in a chilled pint glass.

-Appearance 3.0: Kind of a generic translucent amber in color. Small CO2 bubbles abound. Half inch head quickly disappeared.

-Smell 1.5: Not much here. I smell a slightly spicy aroma of some indiscernible spice. That's it.

-Taste 1.0: Front is slightly sweet and has a light tanginess. Middle is non-existent. Nothing there. Finish is where the nightmare starts. Light sugary sweetness with this horrible artificial orange-rind taste that is reminiscent of a cheap brand of floor polish. To top that off, the aftertaste leaves a slight burning in the mouth, like what one receives from eating a hot pepper, but much milder. What the heck is in this swill???

-Mouthfeel 1.0: Cheapo CO2 carbonation actually make this horrible beer worse. It's true.

-Overall 1.0: Utter garbage. Let me use some onomatopoeia here: "Bleargh." What is the "brewmaster" at Blue Moon smoking? I have had saisons before and this abomination is not a saison. This is one farmhouse that should be burned to the ground and salt sown into the soil along with its ashes. Again, I say, "Bleargh."

BeerDocT, Oct 16, 2012

IAmHollywood13, Jun 05, 2014

tykechandler, Jul 18, 2014

jnelms, Mar 25, 2013
1.51/5  rDev -51%

Picked up a single at The Still in Lincoln. Glad I got a single... just... a single...

Was interested by the "Flanders Red" boast on the label. I've had a pretty bad Flanders in Wisconsin years back, won't say who it was from because the rest of their beers were pretty good. Couldn't imagine anything worse than that one.

HA!

Pours a bit light for a flanders, but seems like a good shade for a farmhouse, a bit of a dusty, ruby tone. Quickly dissipating poppy white/pinkish head.

Smell, well... it smells reminiscent of Blue Moon, has an odd Belgian character, but this doesn't seem right. This doesn't particularly smell good, not farmhousey. Smells of somewhat bland beer. Lagery, minerally.

Taste...

...

Mouthfeel! ...

Excuse me... ( *pours* )

Overall, forget it. I tasted and tried a few times and even put the Flanders thing out of my head. I just tried to accept it at beer. It was full of lies. Original Blue Moon is fine with me, I'll gladly drink it over numerous other beers in certain situations. But this... What were they thinking! I'm actually a bit annoyed they put the term "Flanders Red" or even "Farmhouse Red" anywhere on the bottle.

Misanthropy_Sipping, Sep 26, 2013
1.61/5  rDev -47.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours with a reddish/golden hue, quickly fading white head. The aroma is faint, straw, wheat. The flavor profile is weak, tasteless. It does not have any flavors of a saison or Flanders red. the body is light, good carbonation, easy drinking. Taste like a light wheat beer, avoid it.

bonkers, Oct 28, 2013