Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Blue Moon Short Straw Farmhouse Red Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Short Straw Farmhouse Red AleBlue Moon Short Straw Farmhouse Red Ale

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Humulus85 on 06-09-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Short Straw Farmhouse Red Ale Alström Bros
1.13/5  rDev -64.2%

Short straw is the last straw for me with blue moon, idk why I keep fooling myself into thinking they will ever put something good out, heck I'd settle for "o.k." I mean you'd think for the fact that they have what, at least 30 different "styles" (more like flavors) that they would eventually put out something worth drinking! Well I guess thats too much to ask from Coors. I mean can this even be called an "ale"!? I'm trying hard to have one good thing to say about this beer but I can't think of anything.

A: almost got this one right, it has the slightest reddish brown tinge but nothing compared to a good version of this style, plus it looks super watery and extremely bubbly and carbonated for a flanders style.
T: yup it's blue moon, no doubt about it. At least when you drink a schells or a summit, it's easy to tell that is' one but at least they have more than one base style of beer, I think blue moon always starts out as a blue moon Belgian white ale and then they add stuff to it to make it taste different initially but it finishes like the same gross tasting ale. This also has a DISGUSTING mid-palate that tastes like PEROXIDE, yeah you really nailed that "sour" style feel guys... NOT! Then as it warms it taste more like a pilsner than anything....EPIC FAIL.
O.A. I REALLY have to try hard to remember no matter how good a new blue moon "FLAVOR" SOUNDS it's never in no way gonna be different. SHOCKTOP FOREVER!
P.S. also I have a stomach ache from 1/4 of this beer! unbelievable!!! Also I think I'm going to throw my Cassanova's pint glass away cuz it tainted it so much, ICK! (1,601 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -60.8%

I have had Blue Moon beers before and never been impressed, but a friend gave me this beer and told me to try it. Here goes.

Served in a chilled pint glass.

-Appearance 3.0: Kind of a generic translucent amber in color. Small CO2 bubbles abound. Half inch head quickly disappeared.

-Smell 1.5: Not much here. I smell a slightly spicy aroma of some indiscernible spice. That's it.

-Taste 1.0: Front is slightly sweet and has a light tanginess. Middle is non-existent. Nothing there. Finish is where the nightmare starts. Light sugary sweetness with this horrible artificial orange-rind taste that is reminiscent of a cheap brand of floor polish. To top that off, the aftertaste leaves a slight burning in the mouth, like what one receives from eating a hot pepper, but much milder. What the heck is in this swill???

-Mouthfeel 1.0: Cheapo CO2 carbonation actually make this horrible beer worse. It's true.

-Overall 1.0: Utter garbage. Let me use some onomatopoeia here: "Bleargh." What is the "brewmaster" at Blue Moon smoking? I have had saisons before and this abomination is not a saison. This is one farmhouse that should be burned to the ground and salt sown into the soil along with its ashes. Again, I say, "Bleargh." (1,232 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -50.6%

Picked up a single at The Still in Lincoln. Glad I got a single... just... a single...

Was interested by the "Flanders Red" boast on the label. I've had a pretty bad Flanders in Wisconsin years back, won't say who it was from because the rest of their beers were pretty good. Couldn't imagine anything worse than that one.

HA!

Pours a bit light for a flanders, but seems like a good shade for a farmhouse, a bit of a dusty, ruby tone. Quickly dissipating poppy white/pinkish head.

Smell, well... it smells reminiscent of Blue Moon, has an odd Belgian character, but this doesn't seem right. This doesn't particularly smell good, not farmhousey. Smells of somewhat bland beer. Lagery, minerally.

Taste...

...

Mouthfeel! ...

Excuse me... ( *pours* )

Overall, forget it. I tasted and tried a few times and even put the Flanders thing out of my head. I just tried to accept it at beer. It was full of lies. Original Blue Moon is fine with me, I'll gladly drink it over numerous other beers in certain situations. But this... What were they thinking! I'm actually a bit annoyed they put the term "Flanders Red" or even "Farmhouse Red" anywhere on the bottle. (1,162 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -48.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours with a reddish/golden hue, quickly fading white head. The aroma is faint, straw, wheat. The flavor profile is weak, tasteless. It does not have any flavors of a saison or Flanders red. the body is light, good carbonation, easy drinking. Taste like a light wheat beer, avoid it. (326 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I poured this from a bottle into a pint glass. The colors of the label along with the description really threw me off from what this beer actually is. With the red label and the word straw house, I thought that it would be fruity (bringing to mind strawberry), and being a "saison", I expected fruity esters at the very least. Of course, this is a coors product and not a true craft beer, so I cannot say that my dissapointment is not well deserved.

The head disappears quickly.

The smell is metallic and does not have much going on. It brings to mind rusty copper.

The taste is thin. I detect almost no hops.There is that metallic flavor again, and the grains were either cheap, stale, or paired with large amounts of corn syrup.

The mouthfeel is decent. Like the flavor it is thin, but it has a slight creamy characteristic.

Overall, I think that this beer would make a great new substitution for the current coors recipe, but as mixture of saison and flanders red, this beer falls way short of being even remotely close to either style. (1,047 characters)

This beer is confusing and disjointed. I don't get it, doesn't taste like a Blue Moon or like a Farmhouse Ale. Just tastes old and stale.

Would not revisit. (158 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I tried but no thanks. I went to my local liquor store and my buddy who owns it offered me a 12pk for $7.99. Just on the price alone I was suspicious but having drinks earlier in the day I figured wat the hell, plus ill save some $. Well that was 3weeks ago and im just on my 4th beer. Cant drink it unless im buzzed because my gag reflex aren't as sensitive. (359 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -30.1%

Don't know what to expect with this one; picked it up as part of a pick-a-six. Apparently it's a test release in eight cities. From a 12oz twist-off into my Darkness snifter.

Pours a pretty, crystal clear deep ruby/crimson. An aggressive pour produced a dismal half-finger head with zero retention or lacing.

Weird spice, some tartness. I really don't know how to describe this outside of funky (but not in that good Belgian wild ale way).

This is one of the strangest tasting beers. Wheat, some spice characters I can't place. Toffee malt up the middle transitions into some, frankly unpleasant, tartness. Clean in the finish with minimal aftertaste.

Medium in body, slightly creamy, good carbonation. Balanced in sweetness and tartness. Really the only redeeming part of this brew.

Overall, this is a confusing and seemingly confused beer. I don't know what this was trying to be. Tastes like a regular Blue Moon, with some caramel malt and a misplaced tartness. I love me funky/sour ales and this one just failed in that regard. The flavor profile is all over the place and just straight-up not tasty. Try it and review it so Coors learns its lesson. Cheers! (1,168 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A. It is a very dark red, almost brown. It is see-through but too dark to make anything out of it. It has a tan head that dissipates quickly. Very limited lacing.

S. It has a wheaty taste and there's some malt.

T/M. It is fruity and bready. There's some malt and wheat. It is quite carbonated. light body. It tastes like a blue moon. It is extremely sweet and sugary.

O. It's like an off Blue Moon. I have nothing against Blue Moon, but this is just a repackaged beer. (473 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -24.1%

Clear red colored ale with a medium sized tan colored head.

Smell is malty with some burnt sugar aroma. Toasted bread and a faint plum aroma.

Starts out mildly sweet with no particular after taste. Slight sourness in the after taste. Not much to taste here.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall, worst beer in the Blue Moon Spring variety pack. (336 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -21.5%

Tried on a whim while traveling in Atlanta, GA. Couldn't find a good store selling micro/crafts, so this was it for a couple nights in the hotel.

A- Almost marzen/Oktoberfest like, clear orangish color. The head didn't stick around at all, unusual for a Belgian, at least from the ones I've had. Typically Belgians have to be poured slowly or the head just over flows the glass. Not the case here.

S- Has a slight amount of funk that I've gotten from other Saisons, but that goes away quickly and I pick up an American adjunct type smell, but sweeter.

T - Not like other Saisons I've had. There's a small amount of Belgian yeast funk that I've tasted more in others of the style. Like one of the other reviews, it's somewhat sour, kind of blood-orange like at the same time.

M - I was expected something smoother. This wasn't anywhere near something like an IPA, just not that nice, smooth feel that others have.

While my ratings aren't great I would go back to this depending on what's available. It's no where near Horseheads Christmas Ale, Ithaca's Ground Break or Ommegang's Hennepin. The taste isn't cohesive, the smell is lacking and has something in it I can't place that I didn't like.

Would be a good beer to bring that macro drinkers into the Belgian styles of beer. (1,282 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours a clean orange-ish to red in color with a light tan head. In the aroma, a sweet malt and a small earthiness. In the taste, a sweet caramel malt, with notes of white grape tartness and earthiness. A small bite a a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry fruitiness in the aftertaste. Too much going on that does not compliment the other. (355 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Date tasted: July 6, 2013... Glassware: Ayinger willibecker... Occasion: redemption bottle--could a whole sampler of brews be such a terrible mistake? I messed my July 4th hosting gig with this poor purchase....Appearance: clear, blood orange-red body with a creamy white head that settles in thinly... Aroma: white pepper?! pepper, yes--and the doughy yeast that accompanies a perplexing funky malt--too medicinal to be pleasing... Palate: balanced, drinkable body that doesn't waste time in the mouth; as profiled, a farmhouse that cleanses the palate... Taste: honeyed, candied tartness with a bit of grapelike pucker; competing flavors make for a busy development of drinking--again, not attractive... Overall: a slight redux on the abysmal tastings of the agave and blackberry, as this will hold well enough to encourage a second bottle; a decent marriage with the summer elements can be had here--decent.... (913 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -15.8%

Taste and smell were initially disgusting, but improved after sitting in the glass for a few minutes. Like its sister beer, it might improve with a nice slice of orange on top.

UPDATE: Tried it again, this time with a slice of orange on top. Did not improve significantly--best strategy seems to be to let it breathe/warm up for a while.

Very light on the carbonation--brought up a nice head initially, but quickly faded.

A little disappointing overall, but we will finish the 12-pack we purchased. Not great, but not bad enough to pour down the drain. (556 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -14.6%

Admittedly I'm not a big fan of the saison style, but this one is particularly bad in my opinion. Tart, sour finish that leaves a lingering sour aftertaste. I have stopped buying Blue Moon variety packs because this one is in there. Shame. (242 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a deep burnt amber with a finger of off white head that faded into a fuzzy film. No head retention, no lace.
S: Tons of spices followed by bready malt and some sweeter dark fruits and berries. Slight tartness.
T: Caramel and bready malts, syrupy red cherry juice, slight dry cherry skin tannins, faint oak, lemon, black pepper, Belgian style yeast, and faint citrus in the finish. The aftertaste is almost spicy with flavors of white pepper, red grapes and damp earth. Some medicinal and sugary/syrupy lingers long after the swallow.
M: Frothy foamy carbonation bubbles up on my palate, but at least it's smooth. Medium body, "juicy" sweet and slightly spicy mouthfeel.
O: An interesting blend of styles, but this beer didn't really do it for me. Fruit flavors tasted syrupy and the overall flavors were bland. Maybe better off with a saison and Flanders red by themselves. (909 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I found this limited release Coors/Blue Moon product at the local Jewel-Osco store in Glendale Heights/ IL. 12oz brown bottle for $1.67 with no freshness date.

The beer poured a pale reddish amber color with a 1-finger white head that dissipated in under a minute and left no lacing whatsoever. The website suggested using a slender glass so I used a cchampagne flute for this one.

The smell was flowery and spicy. I was looking for a strawberry flavor and smell because of the name (Short STRAW), plus the pink label, but there's not a touch of strawberry in it The pink color comes from the hibiscus flower which they do use in brewing this.

Heavy on the white pepper spice and low on that Belgian funky yeast found in most farmhouse ales. Mild sweetness from the malts and hibiscus flower. Not a very exciting taste.

Light bodied but very high in carbonation.

The Blue Moon website says this is also brewed with chocolate malt and white wheat but I tasted neither one in here. It's drinkable, but kind of disappointing. (1,035 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured into a New Belgium globe glass.

Look: Ruby amber body, light cream colored head. The head recedes to almost nothing except a ring around the edge of the glass. No lacing.

Aroma: Malt sweetness, faint berry tartness.

Taste: A very sweet malt body with a touch of pepper spiciness, followed by berry fruit and tartness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, dry.

Overall: Interesting combination of flavors, but not a beer I'd want to have again. (444 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Best before August 19th, 2013. Expectations are below average given the brewery - which I highly highly doubt can pull off a saison. 5.8% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with twist-off pressure cap acquired as part of a seasonal Blue Moon variety box earlier tonight at my local Von's grocery store and served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. I think the 12 pack cost something like $14.99. Expressionist Collection.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor; overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger white colour head - disappointingly thin - with no cream at all and of bad (~45 second) retention. Body colour is a clear translucent dark amber-copper. No yeast particles are visible. Poor lacing. No bubble show. Really misses the mark for a saison. Not sure what this is, but it looks poor for the style. Still, it's not awful in a general sense; if I weren't judging it as a saison I'd see little wrong with it. It's not unique or special; we'll call it an average appearance. There are no overt flaws (outside style conventions).

Sm: Strawberry fruit syrup extract. Off-putting medicinal sweetness. Sugary. Some tart artificial fruit - a highlight here. Berries. A mild to moderate strength aroma. Any hop character is minimal so as not to be noticeable; likely generic floral character. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. Not a great aroma. I'm curious about the fruit notes; they could be either good or bad...

T: Mediocre, actually. Some mild sweetness. A slight hint of tartness when you really look for it. Berries. Minimal hop character. Generic malts form the body. Not as syrupy as the aroma suggested. Nor as medicinal. It's actually just plain boring and bland. Dreadfully simple. The little flavour that's there isn't bad, and it's balanced in its bland simplicity. But it lacks boldness and/or inspiration. I'm far from impressed. Not at all what a saison should be, even if it's purportedly mixed with a Flanders Red. This comes off as a middling fruit beer; no more, no less.

Mf: Smooth. Wet. Slightly overcarbonated. Weak and somewhat thin. Disappointing lack of body. Shoddily constructed.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. I'll happily down the few bottles I have, but this is rather mediocre. It's terrible if you judge it as a saison, but in a general sense it's just a pedestrian fruit beer. I wouldn't get it again. I'm glad I tried it though. Another mundane brew from Blue Moon/Coors.

Low C (2,584 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -12%

Don't usually like red ale but I got this in a store made variety pack and figured I'd try it. I enjoyed the taste - it was light but had a decent hold to it that you don't see with a lot of red ales - it's either too strong or too light. I drank it directly out of the bottle and didnt get a look at its appearance. However, based on the taste, I picture it to be a light amber with a decent head.

Either way, it was a decent after work beer that I would recommend to someone who's just looking to relax with a one. Wouldn't go out of my way to get another but if I was offered one, I would take it. (602 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance:
To start it pours a deep bronze color that is pretty clear and hardly carbonated. This one lacks a head and any red coloring for that matter.

Aroma:
Upon initial inspection, the aroma is quite funky (typical of the style) and is laced with coriander and other hard to pinpoint spices. At the tail end, pepper is evident, nearly causing me to sneeze.

Taste:
Leaves a lot to be desired.. This malty ale plays host to variety of spices (as to be expected following the aroma) with heavy coriander and a bit of vinegar that wraps up with tart raspberry and a dry kick from the pepper. The aftertaste is worth noting here as it is oddly my favorite part of this creation. It's a medley of tart fruit: raspberries, strawberries, cherry and kiwi. The saving grace here is that finish, I like it.

Mouthfeel:
Skimping on the carbonation makes this medium-body beer rather disappointing. However, it is a refreshing beverage that is easy to drink. Bumping the carbonation levels could go a long way towards improving this one.

Overall:
I like saisons and farmhouse ales for the most part, but red ales not so much... However, I was intrigued when I stumbled across this concoction. With a more potent carbonation and more fruit up front this would be easier to recommend... Perhaps next year? (1,301 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Another in the "Expressionist Series," and this one has a bit more character than most Blue Moons, although the character of this beer is not one that I' am all too excited about. The beer pours a copper-orange color, clear, with a wisp of a head. So much for a red ale. There's very little carbonation apparent, and the beer just sits there in the pint glass like a lazy half-cousin. Some sour funk in the smell, french bread, some malt. The taste is more sour than I expected: lemon, vinegar, white pepper, old grains, chaff, dust. Crisp and fairly clean. So what makes this a farmhouse ale? The label, it seems. (614 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -9.5%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date September 30, 2013 printed on the bottleneck. A new beer from Blue Moon for me. My bottle lists a 5.80% abv, rather than the 5.40% abv listed on BeerAdvocate. Expectations are moderately average to below average, based on what it is.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a dark coppery orange colored body with excellent clarity, and lots of bubbles streaming topside. About a finger and a half of soft khaki froth for a head. No lacing. Looks alright.

S - Smell is pretty bland and typical of something Coors / Blue Moon would do. Amber malt, grains, dust, and a hint of citric orange rind, in the vain of a traditional Blue Moon Belgian White. Doesn't smell bad, but there just isn't enough there.

T - Taste is pretty much all red / amber ale and no saison. Amber malts, grains, and a little bite of tart citric orange rind on the finish. Not exactly something I would label as a farmhouse beer. Hints of the white pepper are noticeable, but it isn't exactly what I would describe as 'spicy' either. Tastewise, it is drinkable, and I could easily see it pairing well with some summer / autumnal barbeque.

M - Feel is grainy and dry, with a bit of bubbly carbonation dancing across the tongue. Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall, a lackluster attempt at a farmhouse ale / red ale hybrid. It mainly takes the red ale route here. Slight bite of citrus, moderate 5.80% abv, this would be an accessible beer for the beginner "farmhouse" ale drinker before delving into the authentic examples of the style.

Blue Moon Short Straw Farmhouse Red Ale ---3/5. (1,616 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

This is one of the most coppery colored beers I've seen. Clear with a fine carbonation, well made in that regard. Sparkly mouthfeel. Fruity, lemony aroma.

They call this an "interpretation of a Farmhouse Ale blended with a Flemish Red." Uh-- does that mean it has Belgian yeast? Something of a citrus taste with sweet fruit punch. The first couple of sips seem interesting, and then it gets cloyingly sugary plus that icky aftertaste.

Overall this is rather sweet and it has that same dirty, raspy hop finish of so many industrial brews. Is that some kind of cheap hop extract, or do they just buy "bittering agent" from the janitorial supply house?

This is not really bad tasting but it's at the bottom of the scale compared to actual Farmhouse Ales. From the 12 oz screw-cap bottle purchased at Liticker's Liquors in Ocean Beach. (834 characters)

16C - Saison

Aroma 7/12
Immediately hit with a strong candy strawberry aroma. As it warms it gives way to a strawberry wheat aroma. There are no hints of hops whatsoever.

Appearance 3/3
Amber red. Clear. The ocassional bubble rising to the surface. Big frothy off-white head with excellent retention. Very slight stick to the sides that quickly washes away. Excellent head retention.

Flavor 12/20
Clean watery profile and sweet strawberries with a light tartness all immediately hit. Slight hop bitterness and a sweet-tart strawberry lingers for a short while. As it warms the taste is first sweet strawberries and a touch of wheat followed immediately by an almost overpowering pepper flavor with a strong tart strawberry finish. There is just the tiniest hint of some kind of light hop bitterness. The aftertaste is overwhelmingly pepper that burns the tongue. This gives way to a strong tart strawberry with a lingering light candied strawberry.

Mouthfeel 3/5
Dry finish. Light body. Medium-high carbonation. The pepper burns the tongue making the mouth pucker instead of making for the expected refreshing finish.

Overall Impression 4/10
Lowering the amount of pepper would make this far more palatable. If there are any other characteristics than pepper and strawberry, they are lost. The additional light spices, citrus notes, and malt profile are entirely absent from this style.

29/50 (1,415 characters)