Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Colorado, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 07-14-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 429 | Reviews: 61
1.17/5  rDev -61.9%

Coming from a long time Blue Moon fan, this beer is probably the most disappointing thing I've experienced since the last Indiana Jones film. Saying this beer has a caramel taste is bold faced false advertising. You know when a beer is bad when you find yourself cringing on the approach of the bottle to your mouth. To me, this beer falls into the category that things like Steel Reserve live in. It's completely unacceptable. When I asked my friends to give me their thoughts on the beer, the FIRST words out of my friend's mouth were "Alien Feces". I capitalize this because it was so profound. I've seen this man tell me his girlfriend has cancer, and his eyes weren't filled with nearly that amount of conviction. This man was so stoic in the way he told me this, that the hairs on my arms stood up.

In closure, this beer is absolutely an embarrassment.

1.88/5  rDev -38.8%

reviewed from notes 8/29/12
clear medium to dark brown copperish color, smells malty, slight wheat aroma with hints of tart apples. Medium carbonation. apple and caramel flavors very muted. taste more like spiced apple juice mixed with crappy beer in the forefront with a sweet aftertaste. thanks again for the disappointment blue moon! no caramel flavor what so ever... LAME!

1.91/5  rDev -37.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Absolutely no head. That's a big no-no. Auburn color with very high clarity. Unappealing.

S- Nutmeg, cinnamon, molasses, coriander, pumpkin pie, warm and spicy.

T- A whole lot of water. Spiced cider. Really may have waited too long on this bottle. Ick.

M- Water with the tiniest bit of carbonation.

O- I must admit I probably waited to long to review this bottle. It did NOT hold up well. I would like to review it fresher.

After the surprising qualities bestowed upon me with Blue Moon Cinnamon Horchata Ale, a pleasantly subtle and delicious spiced brew, I'm anxious to see how Blue Moon does Caramel Apple Spiced Ale. Let's light it on fire.

Appearance - Dark red, amber color; pours thicker than I initially expected but, given its caramel nature, this isn't too surprising.

Smell - Surprisingly little in the nose, similar to Cinnamon Horchata, aside from some cooked/toasted grains, maybe. All I can really distinguish. No evidence of caramel apple whatsoever.

Taste - Heavy and funky, with some faint caramel taste sneaking in, but creamier and soapier rather than sweeter and savorier.

Mouthfeel - Leaves a rather pungent aftertaste, unlike the Cinnamon Horchata, which blows this one out of the water, with its quiet inclusion of spices and grains.

There's a reason this is a limited autumn release, as it's so far the weakest fall seasonal I've had.

2.39/5  rDev -22.1%

Looking forward to this brew. Caramel apple? MMMMMM.

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle poured into glass for appearance.

Appearance (3) : Whoa, foam almost overflowed on this one. Like a rootbeer float, you know? Deep caramel color with a fluffy yellowish white head about three fingers high. As it recedes it leaves a few licks of lacing. Again with the moldy appearance left on top after the foam recedes. Unappealing, a bit like the Harvest Pumpkin Ale. Knocking it down half a point for that.

Smell (2) : Sour rotten grains, hint of rotten apple, touch of caramel. Some plastic left in the hot sun. Smells a lot like the Pumpkin ale but somehow a little more rotten. Slight booze in the nose, too.

Taste (2) : Not at all like caramel apple. Boozy, light nutmeg and caramel flavors, mixed with an artificial granny smith back taste. Smooth and drinkable but my initial response is to want to pour this one. Not enjoyable one bit. It is slightly more tolerable out of the bottle.

Mouthfeel (2.5) : Creamy with an underlying carbonation. Carbonation is sharp and nettlesome.

Overall (2.39) : A fail. I do not like this beer Sam, I am. The moldy appearance on the top after the head recedes is so off-putting, it's like I left iced tea in the den and forgot about it for 4 days. The flavor is awful, and the mouthfeel isn't far ahead of it. If they sold this in six pack bottles people would demand that this be taken off the market. I'm glad I only got two of these in my variety pack.

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

There was an oddness to this flavor that I just couldn't place. Slightly bitter, lacking something. The spices overshadowed the usual pleasant warmth and fullness of the wheat. I didn't taste any apple, only a hint at what should be caramel but came off more chemical in taste than treat. Not a flavor I would choose intentionally, and coupled with the farmhouse red, it will probably keep me from buying any more of the fall cases even though I enjoy the horchata and pumpkin.

2.53/5  rDev -17.6%

i really enjoy Blue Moon and their Pumpkin Harvest beer, but this Caramel Apple does not make it with me. Nice look, caramel apple scents, and all the notes were there. I even had a nice caramel aftertaste. But the beer lacked the necessary sweetness to satisfy me. So two big thumbs down from me here.

The beer goes well with some shitty new age music from Windham Hill Records

2.65/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Date on the bottle is December 23rd 2013

A: Poured a clear dark amber with an off white head. The head lingered for the duration of the beer and left a small amount of lacing.

S: Smells like apples and some spice. I can also smell malty sweetness. There are also metallic smells coming from this.

T: I taste carmel and spice. There is a lot of malt in this beer and there is a metallic aftertaste.

M: Typical Blue Moon high level of carbonation. The mouthfeel is alright.

O: Probably wouldn't drink this again I prefer regular Blue Moon. The metallic taste and high malt is just unappealing. I would much rather have a cider either hard or non-alcoholic. The appearance and mouthfeel is all this has going for it.

2.67/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Best before 1/13/14.

Pours a clear orange with a foamy tan head that fades to nothing. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, spice, caramel, and slight apple aromas. Taste is much the same with malt and apple flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and dry mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that displays the characteristics in its name but everything is quite subdued all around.

2.72/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I poured a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- Clear amber color with a half a fingers worth of head. Light amount of runny lacing.

Smell- Faint aromas of caramel, apple, and citrus.

Taste- Sweet caramel malt with some spices for balance. Just a hint of apple flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with an above average amount of carbonation. Slightly crisp.

Overall- I don't think these flavors work well in a beer. This is my least favorite Blue Moon offering and I won't be trying this one again.

2.75/5  rDev -10.4%

A semi-aggressive pour produces about a 2 inch billowy, creamy head. Moderately sticky. The beer is a pale amber with moderate carbonation.

Nutmeg is readily discernible in the aroma and flavor- it's just a touch overdone (easily done with this spice, which produces a soapy taste). I don't perceive much of an apple flavor. Overall, it reminds me of a "pumpkin" beer that has no pumpkin flavor- just overdone spices.

This manages to be drinkable, but I wouldn't want to drink more than one at a sitting. It could definitely use more apple flavor and less nutmeg. Purchased as part of a variety 12 pack, and not nearly as good as the cinnamon horchata ale I just reviewed.

2.77/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A: Dark bronze colored body that is very transparent. Dark burnt orange hues pop out through the glass revealing lots of carbonation bubbles rising to a large fluffy off-white head. It looks amazing. Minimal lacing despite a lush head.

S: I don't pick up any scent really. There's a faint spicy note of noble hop aroma but that's it. I hope it tastes better than it smells.

T: I get a lot of caramel malt flavor to the beer, along with some toasted flavor. Some sweet tasting apple flavor will pop up in the aftertaste from time to time, but it isn't obvious and I'm not entirely sure if I really taste it or my mind is playing tricks on me. The label says "Caramel Apple Spiced Ale" but all I get is the caramel.

M: The beer does have a good mouthfeel. The light toasted bitterness in the beer keeps it just interesting enough that I don't gulp it down like water. It feels about as thick as it should be, and the carbonation is right.

O: Overall I didn't really like the beer. I didn't get any spice, and I'm not completely convinced that I even really tasted apple in this beer. I wouldn't recommend it if you're buying it based on the packaging. On a side note my bottle says 8% which it hides very well. I'm not sure if the 5.8% displayed on BA is from an old version or what.

2.82/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Pours a dark copper brown

S: Smells like spices and you can smell the apple and carmel up front

T: Taste isnt so impressive, very 'bland-like' taste lacking the BAM! sweetness effect I think most were expecting when they read the title of the beer.

M: Average all around, not very impressive

O: Meh, this beer is a letdown to me, should be more sweet and apple-y ! Carmel apple?? come on!

2.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a crystal clear reddish brown with a sad little half-finger head which dissipated quickly. A hint of lacing. By the time the glass was half finished, there was not even a hint of head left.

S - Wow, is this one faint smelling beer. Getting a hint of green apple, and barely anything else, even when swirling the glass. Strange.

T - Caramel Apple sounds like an amazing idea for a beer. Only one problem, instead of "caramel apple" getting "red ale with a touch of cider". What you have here is a very generic red with a little fruitiness and a little cinnamon. Caramel malts, yes. Caramel flavored? No. Dissapointing. No real presence of other spices either.

M - Light bodied, medium carbonated, and just a little syrupy. Kind of coats the tongue.

O - Bland, boring, and mislabled. Seems just hastily or lazily put together. A misfire.

2.86/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - Pours ruby amber with an off-white finger width head. Decent retention, but thins to a virtually naked surface. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell - Smells slightly medicinal or sugary soda like, with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. This smells almost dead on to the Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin ale.

Taste - Starts with a light sugary sweetness, with notes of cinnamon and nutmeg hitting around midtaste. Subtle hints of apple. Underlying pie crust malt character from start to finish.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Somewhat smooth. A tad undercarbonated for my liking.

Overall - They were going for a caramel apple flavor, and I'd say they missed their target. It tastes more akin to that last bit of apple pie crust that's left in the tin, with just a bit of the filling left on the piece. It gives you hints of just how delicious that pie was, but it leaves your craving completely and utterly unsatisfied.

2.88/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours clear amber with a head that doesn't last too long. Minimal lacing sticks.

The smell is bland - grain with just a hint of caramel and apple.

The taste doesn't fair much better, except that more apple comes out. This is sweet - with caramel malt - but not sticky. There is some spicing that balances the sweetness, but doesn't add any particular flavors to it.

This is just a rather bland beer. A friend of a friend brought this over for me to try. Glad I didn't pay for it. Well, it's not "bad" - it just struggles a bit to be "okay".

2.9/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a clear amber, little no no head. Nose has faint spices along with moderately sweet caramel malts. Taste brings the note of faint spice and faint apple juice with sweet caramel malts. Lighter side of medium bodied, lacking in carbonation. Lifeless beer that could benefit from a bigger dose of EVERYTHING. Noting horribley off putting, just bland.

2.9/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Caramel colored, decent but quickly disappearing head. Lacing is fair, and there's a little bit of carbonation going on.

Smell: Spice. Almost smells like a pumpkin ale.

Taste: Cinnamon, caramel, malts.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, slightly sticky. A hint of apple in the aftertaste.

The Verdict: Not bad. A little different, a bit funky. I don't see myself ever ordering one, but it is drinkable. Kind of a variation on a pumpkin ale more than anything else.

2.92/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Free beer is always nice to get from a house guest...

This adjunct beer pours an attractive dark copper color that tints the medium head a little bit. The head faded pretty quick for me and left no lace.

Aromas are more substantial than I anticipated, but unfortunately it's not exciting. Metal, ambiguous spices like maybe cinnamon and nutmeg. And some apple. Something about the smell of this beer seems artificial.

Flavors are sweet and spiced, with an odd finish that has the same artificial note as the smell. I think the thing I don't like about this drink is that it does not taste like beer, nor does it taste like apples. Feel isn't bad, fairly light and smooth and gladly doesn't linger too long.

First review in a long while, too bad I didn't write one on a better beer. At least I didn't buy it. Doesn't go well with food, either.

2.92/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz bottle obtained from Chris during Big E. Been saving for that right moment. Thanks!

Poured into a Tree House Brewing Willi Becher glass, formed a short-lived 1/4" beige head over the clear dark amber brew. Head is promptly down to an uneven skim, with leggy somewhat lasting lace. Aroma is sweet but minimal.

Taste is an artifical sweet upfront, a fleeting apple tartness in the middle, and closes with moderate spices and bitterness. Mouthfeel is okay, and drinkability is kind of knocked for me due to the spicing, although hard to fault, it's in the name of the beer. Have to admit, not as bad as I feared, although that's not particularly a glowing review.

2.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Part of the Autumn Variety Pack Release. "This copper-colored ale is crafted with caramel malts, cinnamon, and fresh apple juice to stir up the tastes of fall."

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served in the mid 40ºs Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a copper cream white head, crisp creamy consistency and average retention over a maple orange body, mildly hazy with plenty of carbonation. Not a terrible head quality and the color shows some substance. 3.5

(Smell) Aroma is sweet caramel and bready malts overshadowed with a cinnamon applesauce complete with a faint green apple tartness. Pretty enjoyable if not all too predictable aroma as per the label. None of the aromas are unpleasing although the cinnamon apple aromatics easily overshadow the malt bill, leaning this beer towards a spiced cider at points. 3

(Taste) Quite heavy throughout on the cinnamon flavor, perhaps even more than the apple characteristics, which lie slightly underneath. Malt bill is not easy to determine based on the overall potency of the cinnamon apple profile. Strikingly dry finish which steals away the drinkability significantly. 3

(Mouthfeel) Dry, thin and somewhat tart. Not too clean based on the cinnamon character. Body is medium for the style and light/medium overall. Dryness should be turned up with an enhanced malt bill or a balance should be achieved by reducing the apples and cinnamon. 3

(Overall) Not the easiest beer to drink, the cinnamon and apple dominate the aroma, flavor and even mouthfeel of this beer, resulting in a dry, spiced boozy drink. There's lots of work to be done on this beer to balance out the caramel and apple flavors, because both are too dominant in this beer and reduce drinkability. I couldn't have more than one of these at a time, as my palate is nearly wrecked. In short, it's not for everyone and it isn't likely to be perceived to all as a beer due to the cinnamon and apple. 3

Coors Brewing Company's
Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale
2.93/5.00

2.94/5  rDev -4.2%

Boring, boring, boring...
blah, blah, blah...

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light brown with an off white head.

Smell: Mild smell of malts, caramel, and citrus, no apple.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste was watered down cinnamon and caramel with malts.

Overall: Not a very exciting beer. I would not waste my money on this one again.

Appearance: Clear deep amber gold with a large white head which slowly fades., thin glass-coating lace, and faint carbonation.

Aroma: Very sweet and spicy, reminiscent of pumpkin pie, with cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and caramel. I am not able to detect any apple notes in the aroma.

Taste: Opens with a flourish of caramel and spices, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and a backbone of caramel. As the taste progresses, the spices seem to gain a slight punch. Towards the close, there is a little mild herbal bitterness. Finishes with spicy flavors and a faint metallic note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Its not in the same class as Dogfish Head, or any other craft brewer of the first rank, but its not bad. Given a choice between this and a macro lager, Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale wins hands down.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass longnck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a Chimay chalice.

kinda strange taste for a beer, but not bad.

Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale from Coors Brewing Company