Microbrew Invitational

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

Reviews: 1,246 | Ratings: 4,901
4.3/5  rDev +109.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Coors light is my go to beer. It's cheap and it's refreshing. As many people have said prior to me - it is what it is. When it comes to Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Light, Coors Light wins hands down in my book.

3.78/5  rDev +84.4%

One of my favorite light beers. It isn't anything special, just a good day in day out beer for everyday. I wouldn't claim it is good, by craft standards, but by a college kid, and my personal pocketbook, it does its job. Its taste is kind of light, with a light carbonated mouthfeel. if it gets warm, it tastes metallic. when it has been out in the sun for prolonged time, it is undrinkable. best serve this beer ice cold. same pretty much as all macro lights. take your pick, and they are all pretty much the same thing. I have drank a whole lot of these, and will drink many more. i would personally go for Coors Banquet over this though, if you want something stronger, but still within reasonable price range for a party.

3.2/5  rDev +56.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

IF I was given the task of finding a slogan for CL.. I'd go with: Ice Cold Coors Light.. It Is What It Is!
I've been drinking CL for about 30 years, and have no complaints. I've never tired of it. CL goes good with seafood, steak, BBQ, chicken.. it would probably pair well with a shit sandwich.

You can start your night out with CL, move on to craft..or if your feeling a little buzzed off your craft beer, you can downshift and have a CL. Does it taste like a topnotch brew.. no, but it doesn't have to. It's so light, hangovers are almost a thing of the past. My favorite all-time macro, by leaps and bounds.

What's really to be a hater about? Decent brew for a tailgate or beach. Damn, put this in a ice cold cooler at 29 degrees and damn cheap. Always seems to be a winner. Big brew in Puerto Rico. Draft taste bottle or can. You can put down a twelver with out feeling bloated. Nothing more to see here- just keep moving along!

2.8/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Coors Brewing Company - Coors Light. 4.2% ABV. Tall 20oz glass ordered at a restaurant

Look: Body is a pale straw gold color, with visible carbonation present. Arrived with a small ring of white lacing.

Smell: Typical grain with corn sweetness. Not a whole lot.

Feel: Light bodied with loads of carbonation. Easy, smooth drinkability.

Taste: Just like the smell, grain and corn sweetness watered down.

Overall: Nothing special at all, just a light lager, although not as bad as some other light beers of the same style. The best way I can describe this is corn soda.

2.29/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

From notes taken 05/01/16:

Pure and clear straw gold, almost like gasoline. Fine whitish head, lower moderate retention, film-forming. Light grain, with even lighter honey and banana (of all things) on the nose. Grain, bread on the palate, all very watered down, so not strong or harsh. Sweetness expected from nose but there really isn’t much (my parents practically raised me on this one, so now I’m partial to the less sweet light and adjunct lagers, on the rare occasions I drink them). Smallest hint of floral hops. Light in body, well-carbonated, very spritzy, and tingly to prickly. Crisp and refreshing. Could slam six of these back, no problem. But that’s not really how I like to drink beer.

2.5/5  rDev +22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a darker golden yellow with a lot of foam.

Not getting much of anything, just a graininess.

Grains and water.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Crisp, easy drinking, water.

2.06/5  rDev +0.5%

Coors light is a just another light American mass produced beer that has only slightly more individuality that the others. While drinking this beer I keep coming back to one thought; carbonated water. There is something else going on in that bottle but I can't quite figure it out. The smell and feel are just common. If you're going to be smoking brisket in the backyard for 8 hours this is your beer.

1.9/5  rDev -7.3%

What little taste there is is slightly sweet and rather funky from the corn they use. It's a little tart and very watery with high carbonation, slightly metallic. Very mild hop bill that just pokes it's head in to say hello for a split second.

Not bad for a 100 calorie adjunct lager that you can pretty much find everywhere in the continental united states, but certainly no craft beer.

Beer snobs tend to ream this a new one, but if you really can't enjoy a coors light every now and then you're probably trying too hard.

Better on draft.

I'm gonna be honest, there's not much more to life than sippin' on a Coors. The electric blue color that the can embraces when cold as the Rocky Mountains is not to be taken lightly: it's an invitation. However, she's a seductive mistress, as each savory and refreshing sip (or gulp) only serves to tantalize and bring the experience closer to climax. Fortunately, unlike some experiences, there's no waiting time in between rounds. And that's to everyone's benefit, as you'll need more than one to really appreciate the love that goes into each individual, hand-crafted can. Mr. Coors, you've got a fan in me.

The smell reminds me of good times I had and the taste is rather unique for a light beer. Great clarity and very smooth on the palate. Overall, a great cheaper beer.

1.92/5  rDev -6.3%

My expectations were so low I have to say it was ok. It did have more flavor than other lights I have tried. Maybe my opinion was affected by the atmosphere of the place i had it, the Drunken Clam in St Pete beach.
i think the bar smell and pleasant people gave the beer a big boost !

2.94/5  rDev +43.4%

Drank out of 12 oz can, couldn't get ahold of a glass at the time.
Smelled of barely and hops, maybe light cereal grains.
Tasted of cheap cereal grains, and maybe a burning kind of citrus like taste.
Mouthful is alcohol-reeking, kinda burning but not to where I wanted to spit it out. Easy to handle.
Overall, Decent light lager that I would take over Bud Light anyday. Refreshing and, well, light American lager-ish.

3.33/5  rDev +62.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

This beer is extremely light and crisp. However, comparing this beer to non-light beers is to compare apples to oranges. If you are on a budget and watching your calories, Coors Light is a great choice.

3.86/5  rDev +88.3%

Smells of cereal and grain. If the place I go to doesn't have great beer this is always my go too beer. Goes down smooth, overall a good beer for the mass market.

1.37/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Bought a single of this just to see how bad it was. Poured into a mug. Nearly transparent in color, a shade or two more yellow than my tan wallpaper. Concerning. A thin, bubbly head that disappeared quickly like soda, and very little lacing. Smell is kind of gross. Stale, bitter, corn and grain. Taste is actually less pronounced than the smell, which I thought was a good thing considering it smelled nasty. More corn and grain flavor, but extremely subtle and watered down. Tastes a little like trying to eat stale bread and washing it down with tap water. Feel is thin, watery, and with high carbonation. I was very burpy trying to drink this, and the only flavor I was getting out of my burps were from the coffee I drank earlier in the day. Overall, not an abysmal beer just because it's so flavorless, but it's so incredibly boring that I don't think I would ever want to drink one again.

2.31/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Based on the ratings, it is fair to suppose there is lots that BeerAdvocates do not like in this beer.
But since we also "Respect Beer", this beer has positive attributes.
1) It goes with below average food... particularly when I cooked it and am eating my own leftovers.
2) Coors Light does have low calories... And since I increasingly find I must exercise to work off the malty beers, Coors Light is an alternative to endlessly repeating calisthenics.
3) This beer is in a separate style/class and should be judged with a special spectrum, say, only 4 points (which is what I've done). This beer has a purpose: to be refreshing to overweight Americans, of which there are many... which explains the popularity of Coors Light.
4) To get to 100 styles, I am glad to review this one.

1.38/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Happy hour at the hotel. Free Beer! Oh wait, it's Coors Light....Not much to this weak lager. Very watery, not much flavor, aroma is absent. Good on a hot day, but ten again, so is water.

1.34/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

From the bottle, very cold indeed.

Appearance: Poured a little into the glass. Clear, thin and lightly fizzy. 'Watery' wouldn't be a bad description here. Slight head rises and disappears quickly.

Smell: Faint smell of grass, some malt. Odd Banana like smell that isn't exactly pleasant. Not much more going on.

Taste: There are some unpleasant tastes going on here. Starts watery, dry, almost puckering. In come the thin banana like flavours that roll down your nose along with the faint alcohol.

Mouth-feel: Gentle carbonation and very light on the palette. Dry finish.

Overall: Okay, let's be honest here. It's a light beer so we can't be expecting to much in the complex flavour department. But I've had other light beers which I might have classified as 'refreshing'. Not so with this particular brew, and it gets far worse if it's left to warm, pretty much undrinkable at room temperature.

Not sure why people still purchase beer like this. I can make it myself a lot cheaper by soaking a slice of bread in a glass of tap-water until it dissolves then adding a splash of moonshine to give it that alcohol.

The flavor would be just about the same....except maybe a little better if you used fresh bread. Coors "liquid dinner rolls" light definitely tastes like the bread they soaked in their Rocky Mountain water was stale.

This used to be "the beer"! A favorite hang-out in a previous life offered this on draft in big ol' mugs, bottomless, for $10. Used it drink it like it was going out of style. Now, I just cannot get past the "corn" aftertaste I get now in botles. Maybe it's not there in draft, I don't recall, nevertheless, I'll always have the memories that came along with the "Silver Bullet"!

1.91/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

My Dad drinks Coors Light so I have occasionally had one. What it reminds me of is... popcorn. :-) I know that's strange, but if you soaked lightly buttered popcorn in some slightly fizzy water and added a bit of alcohol, it would probably taste similar to Coors Light. It's not entirely revolting but it sure isn't beer and nothing I would drink by choice.

1.8/5  rDev -12.2%

If your goal is to get slammed watching football, this beer isn't bad. It's easy to drink enough of them to get so drunk you don't remember who won the game you were watching. In any other capacity, I would never go near this "beer"

1.66/5  rDev -19%

This is damn near water. Has that light piss yellow coloring. Head reduces into a small cap. This is a mildly carbonated beer that when prodded, will produce a steady stream of bubbles. Can taste metal along with hops, but they lose their place.

2.84/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz. on tap in a chilled mug at Ruby Tuesday in Westbrook, Maine, watching the Patriots eat it against the Dolphins.

Appearance: Whiz. You know what this looks like.

Aroma: Smells like blah light beer. I want to say "smells like the urinal at a NASCAR event" but it's mostly inoffensive.

Taste: Very neutral. Slightly sweet, a little corny. Just not much there.

Mouthfeel: Resembles water. This particular glass is barely showing carbonation.

Overall: You have to give these kind of beers a puncher's chance, because they're not intended to be flavorful - they're intended to be consumed with junk food while you watch sports. All that said, it's bad. But even with that said, of the "big three" light crap beers, it's probably the best, because it's the least offensive.

Coors Light from Coors Brewing Company