Microbrew Invitational

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

Reviews: 1,246 | Ratings: 4,902
3.41/5  rDev +66.3%

Good olde silver bullet! Now when I come to think of it im not the biggest light beer fan but I can always go back for this great brew.

One of the best brews to abuse when I was younger. Has the standerd color but the smell was something differnt , of corse in cans/bottle's always good; but when I had this on tap had a differnt taste(more abv and pine/gin smell) same for taste smooth and refreshing.

Of corse this is by far the very BEST cheapest/light/american/bar beer out the, and I still to this day buy 18 packs.... (when Im poor)

But yes great beer , always a good one!

2.07/5  rDev +1%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance, bright yellow. Just that is an indicator to not drink this. Smell is non existant with the exception of maybe a hint of sweetness.

Taste, carbonated water. There is no hint of anything to prove this is beer. Mouthfull is the same.

Drinkability, thumbs up. I can chug down water when I'm thirsty, I can chug down can after can of this. Imagine living like you had no tastebuds, you can eat or drink anything. But, you would sadly miss out on some good experiances.

The beer is water, it's huge advertising industry does not change that.

Ah... the silver bullet.

Apperence...usually about 1:30 am when I am just trying to keep a buzz.

Smell and Taste can be combined. Little if any

Mouthfeel...like a soda

Drinkability...easy, it is flavorless. Until it gets warm.

This is my beer of choice when the end is drawing near on an evening if I am trying to maintain any decorum whatsoever. As long as it is cold, it is thoroughly boring, by thoroughly drinkable. If it warms up though... my god, don't let it warm up.

1.55/5  rDev -24.4%

On tap at Applebee's in Cleveland Circle numerous times for $2. Served with 1/2 price appetizers after 9 (I am a poor student).

This is, IMOH, the worst light BMC light beer. It lacks the taste of Miller and the crispness of Bud. In other words, there is absolutely nothing enjoyable about this beer. It pours straw yellow with a slight head that has dissipated by the time it has reached my table. There is nothing to the taste; it tastes like: bad beer. It is also a very thin body. I suppose that it is possible to drink this beer all night, but only if you desperately want a buzz or are a masochist.

1.13/5  rDev -44.9%

Worst beer I've ever had. It saddens me when a friend will come over and bring a case of beer or a six-pack and proudly busts out the Coors Light. I'd be happier if they'd brought bottled water.

The look is so pale. The flavor is just plain non-existent. The feel was...slight fizz I guess. I suppose some find it drinkable because it's so flavorless and that's the very same reason I can't drink this stuff. The line needs to be drawn somewhere...and Coors Light doesn't even come close to that line.

2.47/5  rDev +20.5%

I have consistently described Coors Light as having a 'syrup'-iness to it, and I have never been able to avoid that description. My throat feels phlegmy after I drink Coors Light, like I need to clear my throat, and I can't stand it.

Realistically, this beer is popular with a lot of girls, and is a good value for games of beer pong or flip cup. I don't mind spilling it all over a table, a floor or myself, and I definitely don't mind letting anyone who wants one to grab a can.

In the case of regular beer selections at the grocery store, Coors Light ranks higher than most (Bud Light, Keystone, Busch), but only someone who doesn't drink enough beer could call it their favorite beer.

1.35/5  rDev -34.1%

Coor's Light tastes like water to me. I know it's light beer, but it should have at least some flavor. If you like watery beers that go down easy, this beer is for you. If you like to play drinking games but get full off of beer easily, drink coor's light or keystone light. They are very very easy to chug.

3.28/5  rDev +60%

A good light beer if you want to drink more than a few. Very light on the stomach, and has an almost chocolate taste. This beer is good for taking on a fishing trip or camping. Don't expect a great beer, but it is better than most light beers out there.

2.95/5  rDev +43.9%

This beer is meant to be a cold refreshing beer, and it is just that. This is a beer that is to be drank on a hot, sunny day. It doesn't have a strong flavor, and it's not very malty. It is a thin, refreshing beer in order to quench a thirst.
This can also be considerty beer for a party. It goes down easy and is a better choice than many others out there.

2.78/5  rDev +35.6%

The appearance is a light yellow. The aroma was light and smelled faintly of the malted grain. The taste was crisp and moderately carbonated with a light body and light bitterness. The mouthfeel was average and crisp. I felt that the drinkability was pretty good for this beer as it was refreshing and could easilly be followed with another round. Although I'm not one for light macro lagers, I felt that this beer was pretty good for it's style and can probably compete with beers that have a bit more body. In short, this beer doesn't have alot of taste, but makes an excellent refreshing light beer for a BBQ or a hot day.

3.52/5  rDev +71.7%

I hate rating products like this, but I do it occasionally because I feel it is neccessary. So many people rate macros and trash them. I think that's rediculous. What? That Miller Lite doen't have any stewed plums or raisins in the smell? It's piss yellow?! You don't say? No shit it doesn't have the attributes of a 90 minute IPA or a fine crafted Tripel or Quadruppel. It isn't supposed to. These are different products marketed toward a different crowd of folks. In the way of macros, I think Coors Lt. is easily one of the the best. It LOOKS thirst quenching. Anyone ever looked at a 8.0%abv porter or stout and thought, "That''ll quench my thirst".? Hell no. Coors light looks appealing when it's hotter than 400 hells and you can chug gallons of it. It isn't gonna win any contests, but it's cheap, thirst quenching, and suits the purpose it was meant for.

2.45/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours out a quite light golden. White head. no frills. smell is a tad sour, but really just smells like all the others of the style. The taste is a touch lighter and more watery than its equals, some adjunct taste. Nothing really here, but can be quite a thirst quencher. Nothing special with the mouthfeel. good carbonation, not much balance.

Overall this bud and bud light were the beers i first choose to drink in the style. many memories with this beer, but cant say its a good one.

2.52/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out looking like i made a cocktail of 50% Coors original and 50% water. Bubbly head when poured fiercely, but then dies out HARD. Smells of cooked grain and that odd cooked vegetable smell. Flavors start off as plain, sweet grains which then leads into an oddly found, and pleasant, light white grape backdrop. Very watery in the mouth with an almost painful amount of carbonation. Finishes dry. Decent drinkability as there really isn't much to this, much like water.

This beer is awfully lackluster, and I'm not one to knock macros (I love several of them). This isn't necessarily a bad beer, just a beer that lacks a great deal of things.

1.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Let me preface my remarks on this beer by stating that I have only ever consumed this when it has been free. In this instance, I partook of a Coors Light or two in a tent at the Houston Rodeo BBQ Cookoff. I used it in place of water for rehydrating purposes in between whiskey drinks.

Among all the standard American Light Lagers, CL has by far the most offensive flavor. Whereas some of the others are more or less completely neutral and flavorless, CL in fact does have a flavor, and it's heinous. If you must drink this beer I suggest cooling it as close to freezing as possible so as to mute the flavor to the greatest extent. DO NOT let this beer warm up.

Coors likes to advertise that they have the "coldest tasting beer in the world" and that CL is "frost brewed" or some such nonsense. First of all, "cold" is not a flavor, it is a relative expression of temperature. And what is "frost brewing?" By definition, the brewing process requires heating and boiling. At least they have the courage to admit this on their website. Coors is also fond of bragging that their beer is shipped cold, and kept at near-zero Rocky Mountain Temperatures at every stage of the shipping process. Well, I once asked the driver of a Coors truck if his truck was refridgerated. The answer: No. I wrote Coors a letter informing them of this and received a standard reply thanking me for my interest in Coors and -- get this -- asking me return a survey rating my satisfaction with their response.

I can see I've digressed. The bottom line is that CL is a pretty undrinkable beer even for a Macro Lager. I will continue to avoid drinking this beer except for under circumstances such as the one described above.

1.35/5  rDev -34.1%

This is another beer that I got a local bar for only a $1 draft. It came to me in a standard 12oz. pint and wasn't too cold either.

When it came to me it was a pale yellow color with a small head of foam and that dissipated fast into nothing. There was even a lack of carbonation bubbles through out the pint glass. Smell? I wish. I didn't get any aroma whatsoever. Sometimes I caught just a little whiff of malt. The taste and mouthfeel were all the same, light and watery. Maybe not the same, the taste was kind of grainy. I could see paying a dollar for this on draft, if there was nothing else around.

2.05/5  rDev 0%

If you're going to choose between this and Bud Light, go with Bud Light. The appearance of a Coors light is light yellow/gold with a small white head that dissipates quickly. No lacing on the glass obviously. Smell is inconsequential -- nothing really to it. Grainy. Just like the taste. Mouthfeel is OK -- smooth going down. This is the type of beer you have to have ice cold at a summer bbq with a burger or hot dog to really enjoy.

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

Friends drink this sometimes and if offered will not decline. Pours clear yellow piss color. Has a very small head that does not like to stick around. Could not pick up a good whiff of the scent. Taste like... water, guess thats what a real light beer is. Mouthfeel is like carbonated water. Dont buy just drink for free.

1.22/5  rDev -40.5%

I was offered this last night at a local bar so just to be nice and avoid looking snobbish I accepted. A pale barely straw yellow color with nasty aromas of grains and nothing else. Taste and mouthfeel were of hard tap-water, no real taste at all just subtle disturbing chemical and organic suggestions but overall a very odd beverage. I can't imagine why people would want to drink this, even among other macros I can see some redeeming value in a few of them....this one is the worst beer i've tried making it worth a review.

1.72/5  rDev -16.1%

There is very little redeeming quality to this beverage that I guess is actually beer (though who would know it). Watery and thin, it is almost insulting. If I were going to drink a light beer I'd rather drink a Straub Light.
This beer is pale clear yellow. It has very little aroma but with enough effort you can find hints of corn and alcohol in the nose. The taste is just water. Cold water that had an ear of corn sitting in it for a while. There does not seem to be any distinguishable malt or hop characteristics just hard water that leaves an unpleasant aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thin. Its just carbonated water. Drinkability. It is not bad enough that I would make a scene if someone (out of the kindness of their heart) graciously offered me a can; but I would never seek one out as long as it was avoidable. If the only purpose of this beer is a cheep drunk, then get a cheap bottle of Vodka and a gallon of water and you'll get just as much drunk per dollar for much less unpleasant taste. IMHO. Anyway...

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

1.6/5  rDev -22%

Pale straw with little head retention at all. The smell is just like any cheap adjunt beer-corny. The taste is pretty awful. It has a shit beer taste which i sorta like a bit but i mean it's still pretty bad for that. There is way too little beer taste to this. It's like water! The mouthfeel is like water as well. I have not yet drank a more watery beer. I felt like I was drinking Zima. The drinkability is low cause i can't stand drinking something this unsatisfying and gross. I gave it half a point more cause I figure if you wanted to get sloshed on this (which is probably why poeple buy it mostly) you can. It's so watery I could drink like 5 of these and feel lnothing as far as the stomach goes.

3.04/5  rDev +48.3%

Poured from a can into nonik bearing lots of white frothy foam that finely laces the glass as it diminishes to a broken layer over a clear beer with a light golden hue having visible bubbles rising throughout
Aroma of bread soaked with malted cider, then if anything, slight alcohol
First sip starts out watery followed by a lightly sweet in-between light/med body brew
Hops IBU’s must be hovering the human threshold somewhere below 15 since they are detected and quickly vanish in short duration
Brewed to be light in calories makes it what it is – thanks to science - to me it’s a
Clean refreshing malted beverage to cleanse the palate at the end of the sessions

Yes you can try this at home

1.24/5  rDev -39.5%

Appearance - Pale yellow with about an inch and a half of foam, along with carbonation bubbles.

Smell - Nothing special. Perhaps the coldness of the beer eliminated the smell completely.

Taste - Worst beer, hands down. Tastes like soap. Only way to drink it is to cool it to sub freezing temperatures and drink it as fast as possible. Very skunky beer when even remotely warm.

Drinkability - Stay away. Worst cheap beer, imo.

1.82/5  rDev -11.2%

This pours a dull straw color with a small head that leaves quicker than you on payday.The smell sort of reminds me of vegatables cooking and not much else.The taste is like water.The Mouthfeel is too weak and watery for my blood. I drank 30 in one sitting before and had no buzz!!!

Pours a typical macro lager yellow from a twelve ounce bottle. Smells pretty bad, mostly tasteless. My first encounter with the silver bullet came many years ago in college. It was one of the beers of choice for mass swilling because of its lack of taste, which can only be described as watery. Okay for what it is.

2.85/5  rDev +39%

Drank straight from the bottle. I was at my friends' house for a weekend pre-game, pre-game to an IU game. My friend is just obssesed with this beer, saying it's "the greatest beer of all time". Wow, I am sorry. Anyway, I didn't get a good look at it obviously, but I would imagine in my head a light yellow color. The smell- nothing spectacular, I mean it wasn't a turn off, but it wasn't anything that would attract me to drinking it. It wasn't powerful either. The taste was just all around average.

I will give it credit, of most cheap beers, like really cheap on sale beers, I would drink this over any those beers. It is refreshing, it isn't filling, it isn't expensive, it does it's job right? I mean what could you expect? I think it does its job, so for that I give it credit, and I would drink it at a party, but it's not something I'm stocking in my fridge either.

Coors Light from Coors Brewing Company