Coors Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Light Alström Bros
1.53/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a one finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving no lace. Crystal clear pale straw color, like looking through colored water. Light-medium carbonation and very light bodied. Faint corn nose? Flavor is lacking, mostly hints of corn, no hops, no malt. Fortunately a tiny bottle. Remarkably similar to MGD 64 Light. Took me over 2800 bottles before I reviewed - no more over with! $1.25 for a 7oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, MA.

jdhilt, Aug 16, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +64.2%

Not much to say about this one. Others have covered the details quite well, I just wanted to mention one thing about it. It's a typical American light beer, with one really annoying quirk.

It's just terribly inconsistent. Within the same 12 pack of bottles I noticed that most were typical "watery" American light lagers, but there were a few bottles that were much, much more hoppy than the rest, bordering on a pale ale flavor, and then there were a few bottles that had no trace of hops whatsoever, but were extremely malty... Very sweet and "bread-like"....

None of them were "bad", but I find it a bit troublesome that within a 12 pack of what is supposed to be the same thing, I found 3 very distinct tasting beers.

Sadly, this is not a one time event. This is my non-beer-drinking wife's favorite beer, so we tend to cycle a fair amount of Coors Light through the house.... I've been noticing this pattern with Coors Light at least for the past 5 years, in both bottles and cans.

subliminalurge, Aug 14, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +36.8%

Pretty good from a bottle. Nice to have a cheap beer that tastes pretty good, and the cold monitor in the mountains is convenient. Oddly, I noticed a sight sweet aftertaste when compared to most beers. Not anywhere near my favorite, but when on a budget this beer is fine.

VietPong, Aug 12, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +3.5%

24oz can.

Straw gold colour, plenty of foam in the head, lots and lots of bubbles.

Grain, corn in the smell, typical macro of low quality aroma.

Some grain, some sweet malt, very light but not desirable bitterness. Best by Nov 15, 2010. Yeah, best by. Chuckle chuckle.

I thought I had already reviewed this but surprise. Oh well, it's out of the way for now and for all time.

Bitterbill, Aug 11, 2010
1.63/5  rDev -18.9%

Review from notes.

Drank this directly from the can, since it said to wait until the mountains were blue...

An instant numbing sensation hit my palate and I was unable to discern much for a while. Texture is watery, thin, and carbonated like a soda, maybe a little less. Ah yes, there's the corn I'm looking for. Perhaps a slightest hint of bittering in the finish? Or maybe I'm confusing that with the metallic and mildly veggie-like malt/rice. In any case, I'm not impressed with this watery excuse for a beer.

DmanGTR, Aug 10, 2010
2.55/5  rDev +26.9%

Consumed directly from an ice cold can.

In trying to take some, any, notes on this one I've discovered that the nose has more presence than the palate.

Nose has a bit of grain, corn scent. I struggled to get a note for the palate except 'like water'. It's watered down Coors.

Keeping in mind this is, in fact, light lager I review it such: A fairly taste-free and watery brew that would be perfectly acceptable on a hot summer day when you are ready to drink en masse.

It's not skunky or a bad beer; I've had craft's that are actually 'bad'. It's not bad. It's simply a mass produced refreshment product...and as a bonus, unopened cans float when you're floating the water on a lazy summer afternoon, bottle's don't.

JackieTH, Aug 09, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I didn't expect much when I opened this, and there weren't many surprises. I think the only reason i even drank this was because my boss served it to me, and who can refuse that? Pours a pale yellow with a thin white head that is gone as soon as you put the can down. I didn't catch much smell, but what little I got was a faint grain smell. Taste was nothing spectacular, its an awfully watery beer which seems to be the way its supposed to be; as inoffensive (thus tasteless) as possible. The mouthfeel isn't much better than Sprite. Although I could handle drinking this again, it just isn't worth it, why bother?

gkunkle, Aug 07, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +53.2%

A: Appears like your typical adjunct macro. Clear gold. No head, virtually no lacing. Doesn't look appealing, but also doesn't look disgusting either. Just dull.

S: Water. Slight corn and rice; adjuncts. Faint metallic odor.

T: Very watery, taste is virtually non-existent. If I had a gun to my head and had to describe the flavors, I'd say water with a hint of corn and rice. That's it.

M: Good carbonation, not over the top. The real main purpose of these macro lagers is not really for taste, but so that you can drink 10-12 with little trouble. The more you drink, the more you buy, the more money Coors makes on this midly alcoholic liquid.

D: Again, it's drinkable. Not terrible, and certainly would not be considered a "good" beer in terms most folks on this site would consider. But, alas, it is easy to drink and it's not completely offensive like some beers. (Corona, Heineken, Honey Moon to name a few) Not my first choice, or even my 50th choice, but it's in my top 10,000 beers of all time. Not as if that is saying much.

irishking1977, Aug 03, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -11.4%

Coors light is absolutely unavoidable. How it became "the" drink for seemingly everyone around the world is beyond me. Beyond the fact that there is very little of note in the taste of coors light, it isn't even a very drinkable beer and doesn't feel good in the mouth. I guess the best thing it has going for it is you can consume a large amount of them and be mostly unaffected.

NV9, Jul 27, 2010
2.65/5  rDev +31.8%

Reviewed from notes, because light lagers need some attention, too!

A: The bottle has blue mountains, so I know I have a cold and refreshing beer waiting to be enjoyed by me. The pour is clear and a sickly pale straw color. I don't know that I've seen a lighter hued beer than the one sitting right in front of me. A small white head fizzes down to nothing almost as quickly as it was formed.
S/T/M: Faint corn and spiciness that's mildly reminiscent of a wheat ale on the nose. Flavors aren't quite skunky, but they're also far from fresh. It's virtually tasteless, really. It's watery, like I'm drinking water that soaked grains for roughly 5 seconds. The grain that's there is at least fresh tasting and spicy, but I really had to pull the flavor recognition from somewhere deep down inside.
D: Coors Light is just that, a lighter version of an already watery beer. I suppose a few of these wouldn't hurt on a super hot day when you don't quite want water but you don't quite want beer, either. I reviewed this beer keeping in mind the style, which is what I think a lot of craft beer drinkers forget. Light/adjunct lagers aren't my first (or second or third, etc) choice, but they are what they are.

washburnkid, Jul 27, 2010
2.5/5  rDev +24.4%

So I'm walking through my supermarket beer section and notice a 5.7 Liter Coors Light "home draft." I couldn't pass on such a ridiculous gimmick.

Poured into an imperial pint glass. I surprisingly get one finger of airy head that fairly quickly resides to a cap of foam on top and finally to little more than a ring around the edge of the glass. The most pale straw yellow color imaginable. Almost the color of water towards the outer edges. Completely clear, some bubbles rush to the top.

The nose is basically corn and grain, some watery fruits (banana?).

The taste is of grain, and a light bready yeast. A mild lemon like hop character as well. Really weak flavor (though I'm not sure I would be happy if it were stronger).

Tight carbonation, but mouthfeel is mostly just watery.

I have had worse, but not by much. Plan on giving most of my "home draft" away to non-BA friends.

billshmeinke, Jul 24, 2010
1.83/5  rDev -9%

I went to a bar that had $6 Japanese Macro beers and $2 Coors Light on draft. So I went with the silver bullet based purely on cheapness.

It tasted just as watery as the last time I had it. The color is what you all know well, the palest of yellows with just a dapple of head. The smell is a little grain, maybe some corn and a generic metallic hop aroma. It was not good, there was some residual sweetness that I did not remember it having since usually these beers were being shotgunned.

Soonami, Jul 23, 2010
1.35/5  rDev -32.8%

It had been a long time since I tried a Coors Light. At a friends cookout last week I had one side by side with a PBR and couldn't believe just how tasteless it was. I had to get one to review.

Pours a mixture of pee-yellow and light-puke-green. Small white head at least that turns to a thin ring pretty quickly. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

Smell is...nothing? Literally nothing except the slightest of cereal grain. A blind smell test next to water would be hard to differentiate.

Taste isn't much different. Usual watered down cereal grain, watered down bread taste, but mostly lots and lots of water.

I will never be sure why someone would bother drinking this. Taste is not bad necessarily but it's SO watery and flavorless it's amazing that it's even beer. In that aspect it's been a while since a beer has amazed me this much.

Chico1985, Jul 23, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +55.7%

This is my "go-to" beer when I'm looking for a cheap pitcher at a mainstream bar or restaurant. It is not by any means exceptional, but the light taste and feel make it a good beer when nothing else is available.

Not too bitter, has an appropriate amount of hops and carbonation. Alcohol content is obviously less so even after a pitcher or two it's pretty easy to keep walking straight.

ghettobrown, Jul 21, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -8%

Coors Light, the beer that got me started (sad to say). I find that this beer is any typical drinker for the one that doesn't care about quality, handcrafted and phenomenal beers! The one awesome thing about Coors is that fact that they are one of the smaller, big three.

chickenandrice, Jul 20, 2010
3.4/5  rDev +69.2%

I had this beer so many times and never caught a buzz except for walking funny like a stereotypical gay guy you'd see on TV.

A: Its beer. Thats all I can say.

S: Everything a beer should smell like. Hops,alcohol,barley,and yeast.

T: Light and very crisp. I actually said "ahhh: after the first couple of sips.

M: Crisp, refreshing, light and a bit of carbonation.

D: Its decent. Dont expect to get a "head buzz" type of drunk though. Its ideal for a cook out where you will be eating and drinking a lot but don't wanna vomit. The beer is that nice and light. Also refreshing after a long day. I wouldnt recommend buying it unless you are outdoors a lot.

GNR4life2, Jul 09, 2010
1.3/5  rDev -35.3%

this was the first beer I ever tried 10 years ago. As an 18 year old college student this was probably the best at the time. Not really a college beer, but better than alternatives bud light and natty light. I bonged this beer the first time I had it and it turned my world upside down to a world of beer.

yuenglingfan101, Jul 08, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +68.2%

Toasty, dry, slightly bitter (although not nearly as nasty-bitter as some of its contemporaries), softly tart/sour/acidic, corny, grainy, cardboardish.

It's not really worth describing the flavor, so let's talk about it.

It doesn't lack flavor as many would argue, and indeed what it has going for it overall is more bad than good, but that still leaves it somewhere in the middle as far as I am concerned. Hands down, Coors Light is not bad. Period. In the world of Light Lagers, it's got to be a top contender; in the world of all beer - ignoring stylistic guidelines - it just can't compete (and it's not supposed to). It's not fair for me to say it's boring or putrid because I like IPAs and RISs. Furthermore, I have had more undrinkable interesting-style beers (IPAs, Stouts, Pale Ales, Tripels, and so on) than undrinkable Light beers. Yes. Sure, the enjoyment/appreciation I can muster for the engineering behind a Light beer cannot even compare to the artistic/aesthetic enjoyment I derive from a tight Barleywine, but I would never expect it to; it's not supposed to. The volume and reproducibility that commercial breweries like Miller/Coors are able to achieve year after year, across the nation is spectacular even if one does not understand the sort of black magic that fermentation is.

In reviewing typically low-scoring-styled beers I am torn between judging the beer solely on style, or judging the beer solely on flavor/enjoyment, or where in between to judge. Coors Light is a great Light Lager and a decently drinkable beer (for those to whom (or times when) big flavor is not warranted) [sic, imbedded parenthesis, alright!]. In order to fit into the well worn standards on this site (I love BA, all hail, but really I'm not nitpicking) I am splitting my scoring between overall enjoyment in the whole world of all beer versus stylistic achievement. For this I rate Coors Light higher than average, but lower than I feel I ought to. I don't know what else to do.

On a less serious note, the mountains turn blue when it's cold enough to drink (sadly mine are grey), it has a vented wide mouth for ease of consumption (gulp), and it has a frost brew liner whatever the hell that is (it locks in the frost brewed taste, they say). They have a note to 'do something cool. Recycle.' I'm cool. Ooo!, get this, they also give you the calories (102), carbs (5), protein (0.7), and fat (sadly none). Word.

MrHungryMonkey, Jul 08, 2010
2.03/5  rDev +1%

Pours very pale clear yellow with white fizz head that is gone instantly. No bubbles rising, no lacing. If it had some carbonation and a slight more head retention, I'd give it a fair pass -- but just can't in this case.

Light malt aroma with mineral/metallic edge. Maybe some grain, but weak.

This was a very hot day, so thirst may have even increased the rating here. Watery to start, with light malt/beer-like presence. Some cereal notes and light bitterness finishing lightly sour as the palate clears. But, this was also ice cold and it disappeared fast. Not that it was highly drinkable, just that it was cold and wet. Not enough carbonation, and super thin body.

People actually knock these back by the dozen on cold winter nights. Wow. Nothing really here. Better than Bud Light, and maybe on par with Miller Light. Was offered and politely accepted, but would never chase his down.

OtherShoe2, Jul 06, 2010
2.88/5  rDev +43.3%

From what I've heard about this beer, it actually had more flavor than I was expecting. Not stunning flavor, but flavor nonetheless. I'm not sure what anyone that's reading a review for Coors Light would expect, but it's just another light beer in the crowd. It's a bit more bitter than Bud Light but I like it. *Everyone* drinks Bud Light so Coors seems kind of refreshing in a way. Overall, I'd say it's decent for this category but not overwhelmingly good. Pretty watery, moderately carbonated and easy to drink. A good beer to buy in bulk for a party or BBQ but that's about it.

cheesepuffs, Jul 04, 2010
1.73/5  rDev -13.9%

A- Poured a straw yellow out of a can with a foamy head and medium carbonation. Looks like your typical light beer.

S- Bitter grains, some alcohol, bread, barley.

T- Very watery just like the good majority of all light beers. Alcohol content is rather low and takes a back seat to the watery taste of this beer.

M- Medium carbonation makes this beer score a low mouthfeel.

D- Drinkable to an extent, basically one of those party / cookout beers. High drinkability and cheap price tag. I could probably drink half a case and still not feel drunk.

sluggermatt15, Jun 27, 2010
2.4/5  rDev +19.4%

figured why not... the girlfriend's family will only drink this, so there you go. Ugh

A- pale straw yellow. There was a head,but then it disappeared. Just a light look for a brew

S- a light malt with virtually no hops. Some standard rice and cereal scents are the most apparent

T- a light, watery flavor that has a sight malt preesenc in the taste. A tad dry and maybe a small bit of fruit? Real small if that is it

M- light bodied and carbonated. Some small flavor actually does remain

D- macros are what they are. Meant to consumed for the masses. This can be dranken is massive quantities. If it's hot out and you have a group of people, you don't need to deny that coors light is at least an option to pound some beers. I can't believe I am actually being positive

lovindahops, Jun 20, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -8%

When I think of the few beers that I would actually turn down... even if they're free... this is at the top of the list.

Like Miller Lite there is a small detectable presence of hops, but barely.

Where this thing gets ugly - is when it warms the slightest bit and turns into the nastiest sour swill on the planet. Tasteless when cold... turns horribly sour quick. The sour note gets more dominant with each sip and beer. I can't stop harping about that sour note because it's awful... this beer is undrinkable... it took me a few years to realize this... the overdone corn/grain presence and metallicness(is that a word) is what makes this sour... this beer invented bitter beer face.... I could take sleep deprevation, electric shock, etc... but if you forced me to drink this above 40 degrees - I'd cave.

I hate to say... but this falls just below Heineken Light as the worst beer that I have reviewed on this site. Awful!!!

The first sip isn't bad...because it's tasteless... half way through when it's warmed just 5 degrees... this is nasty.

One of the worst beers on the planet... when I try to think of what's worse... I think Natty iCE.... Steel Reserve.. and a few other really bad beers that I'd NEVER buy... but as for the worst that actually sells in high numbers( i dunoo why... some people who drink beer don't really like beer i guess...

AWFUL!

witster18, Jun 16, 2010
2.65/5  rDev +31.8%

Coors light, its at every party and that must say something about it. It's a very versatile beer, you can funnel it, play beer pong with it, shotgun it, etc. and they are all about beer technology like vented cans, blue mountains, and widemouths; what is not to like about it?

Almost anyone will drink it and most will probably wind up liking it. I personally think it is second in taste to Bud's version but overall how can you really complain, its 5 bucks a six pack.

bourbonbock, Jun 13, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +3.5%

Coors Light is an american macrobrew from Coors Brewinf Company. It is the light version of Coors.

Appearance: Light straw yellow. Almost no head formatio and no lace retention.

Smell: Very little malt aromas, with no hops detected.

Taste: Some maltiness with little bitterness. Some metallic notes.

Mouthfeel: Light and simple. No hop profile, although good carbonation is detectable.

Drinkability: Typical of an american macro. Good for the beach or hot summer days as simple refreshment.

cervezale, Jun 11, 2010