Coors Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Light Alström Bros
2.1/5  rDev +4.5%

Didn't feel like cracking a good beer tonight with my burger while watching the Toledo/Colorado game, so I grabbed a Coors Light that was left over from a party.

A: About as light as you can get. At first glance, pale yellow, but hold it up to the light and it's more clear with a slight yellow tint. Initial pour gives a fluffy head that quickly dissipates.

S: Sour, and not in a good way. Corn, some other indiscernible adjuncts. No hop or malt aroma.

T: The same taste I've experienced so many times playing caps and beer pong at my fraternity house. Mostly water with some mild corn flavor. The warmer it gets, the worse.

M: Thin and watery, tons of carbonation...too much in fact.

D: Well, if there's a "saving grace" of this beer, this is it. It is drinkable in the sense that it is nearly tasteless so that you can drink it quickly and easily.

2.4/5  rDev +19.4%

12oz can (with blue mountains!) into a Duvel tulip - I know, I know, far more than this beer deserves.

A: Well, perhaps I have to blame myself for using my tulip for this, but this is actually pretty good looking (for the style, of course). A brilliant gold body with lively carbonation starts out topped by two inches of surprisingly dense white foam. After a while (much longer than I expected) it settles into a thin cap and ring, with a bit of lace left around the sides. Not bad at all.

S: Ugh. Just ugh. Yuck. Sour, sour, sour. Just the nastiest assault of adjunct crap that you could imagine. No discernible malt or hops, just some gross sour corn. Absolutely one of the worst smelling beers I've ever encountered. Why, God, why?

T: Okay, now this is just water, with maybe a bit of corn juice mixed in. Maybe a bit of yeasty fruit, but absolutely no aftertaste. Very light, smooth, and (dare I say it) cold tasting. I guess when you drink this straight from the can the aroma is a non-issue, and I have to admit that this is a pretty refreshing taste. The sourness of the smell translates into a crispness that works well for such a weak beer.

M: Is there anything thinner than water? If so, then this feels like that. Otherwise, I'd compare the silver bullet to sparkling water with slightly larger bubbles. Not bad for the style, I guess, but in no way pleasing.

D: I really hate to give such a crappy beer any respect at all, but I have to respect the BA system of giving truly separate scores for each attribute. As poor quality as this beer is, it's hard to deny that it's one of the easiest beers in the world to drink (unless you pour it into an oversized tulip glass and have to smell it's unholy stench every time you take a swig). Under normal drinking circumstances, this is about as poundable as it gets.

Notes: I've had more Coors Lights than I care to admit, and it's fun finally to review it. I really think that too many reviewers make up their minds about a beer ahead of time and give low scores across the board, either because they think it's cool to dis an unpopular beer, or maybe because they hate it so much that 1s for aroma and flavor aren't sufficient to give it the minute overall score they think it deserves. I say, give any beer credit where credit is due. As gross as this beer was, it was a great looking brew for its style, and it went down easy. Does that count for nothing? All right, enough ranting.

Cheers!

2.55/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

As a college student, Coors is my daily bread as Jesus was to beer. It sucks, the mouthfeel, taste, and smell are horrible. Yet, because i'm in college and I drink this all the time the drinkability is pretty damn good. So damn bubbly, this beer will make you burp all day long. Don't be fooled by their flashy "blue mountains" bullshit. This beer is shit. However, drink Coors light on a hot day and you will think your re-hydrating yourself with pure, natural, spring water. Drink it as a refreshment, nothing else. If you prefer pissy water drink coors piss... if not, PBR, Yuengling, and a lot of other beers are cheaper and much tastier.

2.2/5  rDev +9.5%

Let's face it,everyone has ran across Coors Light once in their beer drinking journey. The mainstay of any college lifestyle, this light beer has become quite popular due to it's flashy advertisements consisting of "blue mountains" and "waves of refreshment". Yet as most of us know, this beer fails to live up to the hype. On to the review....

Poured the 12 oz. "Cold Activated Can" into a pint glass:

A - Off the bat, the first thing I noticed was the extremely translucent straw yellow color and large soda-like head.

S- Smell is faint with notes of soap and corn

T- Watery and fairly bitter with a touch a grain

M- Basically non-existent, like drinking water. Mild carbonation.

D- Basically it's only saving grace as it's an extremely light and mild beer. Sure to please the occasional beer drinking crowd.

Overall nothing special. Just your run of the mill light American lager.

This is not a good beer. It has the scent, taste, and mouthfeel of carbonated water used to rinse out a beer bottle. That said, of all the cheap, tasteless, mass-produced monstrosities out there, this is the best. Not because of the taste, but because (1) it seems less carbonated than, say, Bud, which means you can drink more, (2) it has less flavor than any other beer, meaning you don't have top suffer (as from, say, MGD), and (3) the skinnier can and blue mountain gimmick are more interesting gimmicks than the other crap that crappy beers pull.

Is anyone really rating this beer objectively? It's tough to!

1.63/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a bright yet pale yellow with a big fat fluffy head due to an aggresive pour. Mostly out of anger since I am forced to pour this swill down my gullet.

Smell is pure adjunct nonsense, I really dont know why people put there nose to this and enjoy it.

Taste is terrible. Grain and malt and fizz. I mean my mountains were blue when I poured it. It supposed to be refreshing but it just made me gag. What the hell is this crap.

Mouthfeel. Water. Lots of bubbles. Water.

Drinkability..psh thats Bud Lights slogan Mr Cold as the Rockies. Negative anyway. Dont drink this unless someone is threataning your life.

2.7/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got a pitcher with my buddies at a local place called Blue Sky Bar and Grill, but given that you can find the silver bullet anywhere, that doesn't really mean much.

Appearance: Poured with a thumb of head that did not lace whatsoever but did manage to retain about half a finger decently. The body is a clear yellow, that boasts a lot of carbonation.

Smell: Not much to this one, extremely subdued and I'm catching only the fainest whiffs of corn, rice and malt. Given it's a light beer, a faint nose is sort of expected and it's not unpleasant, just boring and generic.

Taste: Well it's not bad, but it is watered down. Starts with a corn flavor with the barest notes of malt. The malt then somewhat asserts itself as you get hints of rice in the background just before ending with a slight bitter wisp at the end. Incredibly boring, and generic in extreme, even for a light beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer doesn't leave an aftertaste and the carbonation is decent at helps the beer a little bit. Also despite being watered down, it doesn't leave your mouth moist. It transitions well, although that is more due to how little there is to transition between.

Drinkability: As expected, the only redeeming quality of this beer is that it can be put back with ease and that it quenches thirst. It's light on the stomach and doesn't cause much in the way of gas. The lack of flavor though leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Final Thoughts: As one of the beers that most BA's love to hate, the silver bullet isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Now I'm not saying I like it, but it's pretty much the standard for the Light Lager style. If you are looking to have a couple with the boys on a hot summer day, but have to drive home then yeah, maybe get Coors Light.

2.95/5  rDev +46.8%

12 oz can poured into a Rock Creek Pale Ale pint glass.

A - Pours clear piss yellow with two fingers of head that dissapates in a few seconds. Lacing? Hahahaha... no.

S - Wow. I don't think I've ever smelled this beer before... it reminds me of a locker room - sweaty cabbage gym sock smell

T - there is suprisingly little taste. I taste a slight maltiness with no other aftertastes. This beer is the closest thing to water that I've ever had. For this reason, it is my favorite of the "light" beers. Great for beirut or any other non BA sanctioned drinking game.

M - nonexistent. It just washes whatever was in your mouth down your throat.

D - Exceptional. You could easily drink six of these and be none the wiser. I'm not saying this is a good beer, but it IS very drinkable, due to its close resemblance to water and minimal aftertaste.

2.45/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

There is not much to review here. Standard pour with the classic transparent straw color, mineral and metallic nose along with corn and grain, light in body, very rough around the edges. This is perhaps my worst review I've written, but it gets old reviewing the same shit.

2.43/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: Extremely pale translucent yellow with a large soda like head.

Smell: Has a grainy soap-like corn aroma

Taste: Extremely watery, slightly bitter with a mix of selztered grain.

Mouthfeel: Just like that of seltzer water, light on the carbonation.

Drinkability: Surefire crowd pleaser for the college mentality to drinking: light and slammable. In the 'light beer' category its a decent rank but as an overall i'd say only if I was on a budget and counting calories.

2.73/5  rDev +35.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale straw color with a 1/2 inch head and virtually no carbonation. Smell is of mild corn and malts. Taste is, well, there is none. I guess like beer flavored water. Feels watery in the mouth. O.K. I have to give it to them on drinkability. Great for chugging or drinking games, otherwise avoid.

1.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

8/10/09 or sometime around there. Had at a friends house before going to party. Had to endure a few heckles for writing down a quick review...

A: It's very light golden in color. Kind of run of the mill American light lager.

S: Tough to describe. It smells like faint grain, a little hops, it's coors... almost soapy.

T: Kind of soapy. Bland.

M: Thin and overly carbonated. Let me kind of bloated.

D: Pretty low. I mean if it's this or water, the water has fewer calories. And I don't mean that to bash the beer, it's just that if I'm going to take some calories I want something for it, like flavor. But that didn't me from drinking bathtub size portions of this in college...

2.8/5  rDev +39.3%

Appearance is nothing special just another light colored light beer.

Smell is not really apparent it just has a signature coors aroma

Taste is boring

Mouthfeel is average not much here.

drinkibilty- Goes down nice and easy

Serve extra cold!

Not much to say about this beer it just has little unique qualilties that don't stand out but i will still drink it.

1.8/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Very pale yellow color with a tiny head that dissipates almost instantly.

S: Very faint aroma of sweet corn, and soap. Very bland adjunct lager smell. Not very appealing

T: This doesn't really taste like anything. Faint corn and grain with a touch of bitterness. And I mean a very small touch. Pretty bland and boring.

S: Active carbonation, but still very watery.

D: This beer sucks. The cold-activated cans and bottles is just marketing non-sense to hide the fact that their beer is terrible. Not that I like to drink light beers, but there are better ones out there.

1.68/5  rDev -16.4%

Twelve ounce can poured into a pint glass. Date stamp on the bottom I assume is the best by date. Vented wide mouth can. Very pale yellow color. Also very clear. If it were any paler, it might lack color entirely. Plenty of bubble streams rising in the glass. Originally poured with out one and a half fingers of off-white head, but that faded very quickly and didn't even leave a film on the beer. No lacing either.

Smells of a little grainy sweetness. A little floral too. Very little aroma.

Taste is probably the lightest of any beer out there. Mild grain sweetness. No hops to be found. No other flavors to be found. Just slightly sweet, over-carbonated liquid.

Very light bodied. Very watery. Over-carbonation leads to slightly harsh mouthfeel. Less carbonated than some other BMC beers though.

This is little more than slightly alcoholic, carbonated water. Sure you could drink it pretty easily if you wanted to, but why would you when there are so many other options out there? At least other things have flavor.

1.83/5  rDev -9%

A- Pours a light yellow color with a thin white foam head that settled down to a tiny ring. No lacing left.

S- Faint grain and adjunct corn with some dish soap astringency.

T- Not much flavor at all, bad or good. Bits of corn meal and cooked cereal with loads of soap and seltzer water tastes.

M- Light with lots of carbonation. Astringent aftertaste.

D- Maybe it's the best of three evils? Maybe not...but overall the lack of taste certainly isn't a great characteristic.

Poured this 12 oz can straight into my mouth via wide mouth opening. Skipped pouring into my trusty beer glass because I did not want to degrade the integrity of the poor thing. Wide mouth opening was ideal for this beer because it goes straight and fast down my mouth, into the bladder, and out the hatch, not giving me enough time to realize that I'm drinking what really could be Piss Water.

Characteristics: Watery, Bubbly, almost like club soda but with a little puke flavoring.

Appearance: Really, like piss.

1.85/5  rDev -8%

Do you know what Coors Light and sex in a canoe have in common? They are both f**king near water. This is a good beer for people who don't drink beer. An alterative to water on a hot day, but only if served ice cold. My wife used to drink this before she developed an appreciation REAL beer.

A - Typical light - lager pisswater-yelllow. Fizzy non-head. No retention. No lace. Yuck.

S - Fruity and effervescent carbonation, but no real beer aromas. This smells only slightly better (and less rotten-fruity) that Keystone.

T - Ultra-watery corn with hints of nasty fruit overtones. Fruit has its place in lambics, pale ales, IPAs, dark Belgian ales, and many other styles, but the fruit presented here is more fruit of the loom than fruit of the vine. Foul.

M - Watery overcarbonated piss. Blech. I'm really trying to be objective, but jeez... this is bad.

D - No thank you. My Dad always talks about how Coors was the shit back in the 70's when it was only distributed west of the Mississippi. Back then, his buddies used to come back from "Mizour-Ah"with this then-unobtanium and marvel at how inferior it was to the swill that was readily available to those fortunate enough to live smack dab between the shit-beer meccas of St. Louis and Milwaukee.

2.28/5  rDev +13.4%

Its gold cold activated cans, I guess that's pretty neat.

I drank this from a can and bottle.

The beer pours light gold with a white head and very carbonated and no lacing.

It has no distinct smell, just a little skunk.

Compared to the other major us brands this is probably by fav, not saying a lot though. In Colorado its actually slighty better.

2.13/5  rDev +6%

A= we got a code blue which means the mts are blue and my coors light is as cold as the rockies. As for actual appearance its fizzy yellow beer. A small head comes and goes just as fast with about as much lacing as water.
S= smells like fizzy yellow beer. Smells like old water and maybe some rice or corn.
T= this rocky cold beer has numbed my pallet and it tastes a lot like seltzer water. I feel like this has less taste than the average macro lager. Weird.
M= seltzer water with a slime finish.
D= not that bad but I would much rather drink something else. Luckly this was free for me as I got it out of an evicted apt... sletchy

2.68/5  rDev +33.3%

obviously a straw yellow. almost like bud light, but even more watered down. fizzy head recedes right away, no lacing. not much to say about this beer other than comparing it to a bud light but even more watered down, with slight amount of citrus, on the nose and tongue.

1.5/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had out of a can.
A- Kind of yellow. But it's more like water with yellow coloring. It has a thick, bubbly head that dissipates quickly.
S- Slight metallic scent.
T- Slight sour taste that made me a little queasy. Why drink beer. This site says respect beer, I'm sorry, but this is not beer. It has no taste, no flavor. ust watered down. Seriously, Becks Non-alcoholic is better than this.

1.55/5  rDev -22.9%

Back in the '60s we called Coors beer -- Rocky Mountain CoolAid. What would we have called watered down CoolAid? This beer is watery and not much else good can be said about it. Others have said it better than I can. Mouthfeel is weak, taste is atrocious, and poured appearance is without obvious merit. Drinkability would be adequate for the non-discrimiinatory palate, but would not satisfy the more erudite person.

1.88/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz Cold Activated Can poured into pint glass.

A: Watered down urine, with two finger head which almost immediately starts to disappear into nothing with no lacing.

S: Cold water with a hint of stale grains and fruits. The slightest hint of hops are found.

T/M: Almost no taste present. Ice water. Although it is very refreshing, because my mouth was dry. A little malt is tasted. Kind of bitter on the back end.

D: I really don't know why i reviewed this. I kind of feel bad for doing so. I don't even drink light beers. This one was just left over by a friend. On a hot and humid day i could see people drinking this, but i feel their are better and just as cheep alternatives to take.

cheers