Coors Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Light Alström Bros
1.93/5  rDev -4%

Typical can of crap Macro Lager.

Appearance: Yellow, with weird bubbles and very transparent.
Smell: Like metallic water with corn.
Taste: water with some malt, mostly water
Mouthfeel: Watery
Drinkability: That of water.

Only good for beer pong, people who dont know any better at parties, and for beer games in general.

acelin, Feb 17, 2009
2.55/5  rDev +26.9%

Appearance- yellow clear with not much head and moderately high carbonation

Smell- not much slight grain and hops,

Taste- A very light beer and thin bodied, nothing impressive in flavor here, not gross but not great, just not much flavor but watered and rewatered down beer

Mouthfeel-- thin watery with slight carbonation

Drinkabilty-- nothing amazing that i would personally be searching for often, its something though my gf enjoys to drink which is rare for beers so something that will often hold spot in my fridge for when she stops in, nothing amazing meant for hot summer events ice cold to drink fast in high quanities

Stunner97, Feb 17, 2009
1.58/5  rDev -21.4%

8oz can pour into a beer glass.

Apperance: Pale yellow with almost no head.
Smell: Some grainy, a little corny, not much aroma.
Taste: Very bland. I can taste some grain and corn, also some metalic from the can.
Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, thin and watery.

mjurney, Feb 16, 2009
1.8/5  rDev -10.4%

I had a can of this at a party. I figured you have to remember where you started. I figured wrong.

A- Pouring this into a pint glass this appeared a straw yellow color like most light lagers but this one almost resembles colored water. A fizzy white head came and went. No lace.

S- A bit grainy, a bit metalic. Not picking up any distinguishing malts or hops but I guess they are in there.

T- See above. Also taste like carbonated water with light alcohol. Out of the big 3 this one taste most like water. I can't see how people drink this stuff in excess, it's disturbing to me.

M- highly carbonated leaving a very crisp but unpleasent taste. Thin bodied.

D- Nope, not this one. Could not finish the can. I was thinking of giving it to my dog but decided to pour it down the drain properly instead.

I won't give it a failing grade because it's an easy out if you need to bring "something" to a party

BARFLYB, Feb 13, 2009
2.3/5  rDev +14.4%

full head on this light beer. when does that happen? cascading carbonation. pale, pale, pale yellow. barely colored.

sweet, grainy, yeasty scents. very light hops in there, but barely.

rusty water up there in colorado. the taste is really challenged. and, honestly the faint sense of hops in the smell is absolutely absent. the grains and yeasts are prominent, but the aftertaste is mild and not terrible.

slight fizz on the feel and light texture.

pretty good ability to guzzle these. not entirely offensive for a macro light beer. about the same as miller, much MUCH better than bud. just more flavorful and mellow on the mouthfeel. not bad as a "i'm having six or seven of these" option.

cnally, Feb 04, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -8%

This is probably close to the worst beer on the market. I have turned this beer down on several occasions. It's even clearer than the straw yellow that is apparent on most light lagers, and nothing could be worse than this unless it was water with food coloring. The head went down so quickly it might as well not been there. The smell is a turn off in this beer. I can smell only a few hops in this beer, but it's definitely not a good smell. Smells like a spoiled beer. The taste is okay. I feel like I'm drinking water with a bit of alcohol in it. It's overcarbonated and weak on thickness. It can be drinkable because it's light, but that's this beer's only redeeming quality.

Jablonski, Feb 03, 2009
2.55/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a thick frizzy white head that quickly fades to spotty lacing. The aroma is below average. It has a dry lager yeast aroma with the faintest hint of pilsner malt. The taste is below average as well. There really is little malt taste at all. It's basically watered down regular Coors. It goes down quick and finishes dry and clean. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is the standard for light macro lagers. I don't see the attraction here.

WesWes, Feb 01, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +68.2%

I am going to review this with only light beers in mind. I like the high carbonation. I like to feel the bite when I drink my beer. Light don't have much in the taste and smell department, but as far as light beers go this has the best flavor to me. It feels good on the palate and is very east to drink on a hot afternoon.

spanky167, Jan 30, 2009
2.65/5  rDev +31.8%

New to the site and have to start somewhere. The only good thing to say is that it is a good beer for long afternoons or evenings when I am looking for something light and it is available. I can start out drinking a Coors light but if I switch from a different beer, I find it has a very sharp or bitter taste. Best ice cold "guess it helps deaden the taste buds"

Nascartailgatefa, Jan 29, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -18.9%

Offered to me at a party, and I didn't want to seem ungrateful. Might as well review it. So this is the silver bullet huh? This pours a light carbonated fizzy yellow with no head or lacing. Smells of faint straw and light fruit. Taste is carbonated water with a little straw and metallic. I think this is worse than both Bud Light and Miller Lite, and that is saying something. At least it has alcohol in it, I need a drink after tasting this.. wait...

tconboy, Jan 25, 2009
2.58/5  rDev +28.4%

A- pours a clear pale straw with a two finger foamy head.

S-Almost no odor at all. Just the slightest hint of something fruity, kind of like grape juice.

T- nearly tasteless, slightly dry and grainey.

M- very watery and next to no body.

D- decent for the style.

JayNH, Jan 24, 2009

This beer isn't worth rating properly. this beer is repugnant. Even if i wanted to get hammered and all that was around was Coors light. I'd make the trip and spend the money to avoid it. I've even paid 5 dollars extra a beer at Gillette stadium to avoid this stuff.

KBoudreau66, Jan 24, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -3%

A - Looks kinda like the toilet water that I've been pissing in all day.

S- Kinda tinny? Not much in the way of smell. There's a faint sweetness.

T- Bland. Sweet with a watery tin taste to it

M- Feels like water on the tongue.

D- You can drink this stuff all day. It might not be enjoyable, but it is quite drinkable.

youngblood, Jan 23, 2009

appearance: light yellow to almost clear

smell: slight hops, but barely smelled like beer

taste: Little to none, like a rice lager, zero taste

mouthfeel: watery and tasteless

drinkability: very easy, goes down easier than water. good for drinking games

CampusCrew, Jan 17, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -8%

One of the worst beers I've ever had. It's very yellow with little head when poured. The smell is bearly there and tastes a lot like bad water. It has a mouthfeel of aluminum or steel. Only time I would drink it is when its dollar beer night or something like that

Only23, Jan 16, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +30.8%

Coors light is as light beer goes is not bad. With that said it is not good either. More like lightly beer flavored water. This is probably the stuff I would drink if I didn't know any better.

color - light yellow
Smell - metallic (less so out of the bottle)
Taste - watered down
mouth - thin

If you can get past the smell and taste you can probably enjoy plenty, if that's your kinda thing.

smithhomebrewing, Jan 16, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -37.8%

Pouring it out of the "Vented Wide Mouth Can" into an appropriate container: a bright-red beerpong cup, I timed how long it would take to have the head leave. It's less than a minute and couldn't be more than an eight of an inch thick.

Smell was of aluminum and steel, sugar and a modicum of hops.

Taste was if someone at Stone Brewery or Brewery Ommegang were to rinse the brewkettles out and sell the rinsewater as Coors Light. Water with a bit of sugar-sweet. But mainly water.

Mouthfeel was of water, but a little slick at the end.

Drinkability is why people use this for beerpong. That's what it should only be used for.

fingerlaker, Jan 15, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -37.8%

Had a visitor who wanted this (wife's side of the family) so I grabbed a sixer to accomodate after Stone IPA wasn't worshipped.

Looks almost like water. Literally. Completely clear with an ever so slight straw yellow tint. Pure white head comes up and falls while I'm holding the glass up to the light. An absolutely hideous beer.

The nose is an ever so faint trace of aluminum. That's all. So I guess it doesn't smell repulsive, but nowhere near good.

Taste is disgusting. A corn flake/aluminum blend. Not too strong thankfully, but disgusting just the same.

Harsh rude carbonation. Grating.

I've been down on my luck before and have dranken a slew of cheap beer and this has got to be the worst of the worst. Simply disgusting. I don't know how this watery pathetic excuse for a beer gets any market share at all. Way more water than beer.

Overall: really, really bad

PatronWizard, Jan 12, 2009
1.5/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

After 5 hours of job searching, I decided to further torture myself today by conducting a taste-off showdown between Coors Light and Bud Light.

Both beers were poured from their 16oz can into large pilsner style glasses. The Bud can has a Born on date from the middle of December, the Coors can from the middle of November.

I reviewed them simultaneously. Here are the results:

Appearance:

Both beers look absolutely identical. Crystal clear pale yellow bodies with a constant stream of small bubbles rising to the surface. Both displayed a creamy white head that required a 2 to 3 part pour. The head on both beers settled to a ring around the perimeter of the glass at approximately the same time.

To this point, I am convinced they are the same beer with different packaging.

Smell:

The Bud has a faint grainy aroma with the slightest hint of grassy hops.

The Coors has a similar aroma, but displays a minor note of a vomit like character that I detected when I reviewed a can of Fosters. Not sure what this is, but it is not pleasing.

Both beers' aromas are pitiful by any possible measurement, but I would put Bud's slightly higher than Coors'. The difference here is so minimal, that the small difference in bottling date and the conditions under which they were transported and stored could have made the difference.

Taste:

As expected, neither has much flavor, these are light lagers after all.

Bud has a soft grain flavor and I'm pretty sure I can taste the rice, though that could be more psychological. As in the aroma, a faint grassy hop note can be found on the finish. I get mild notes of lemon and honey as well.

Coors has a the same soft grain flavor, with possible rice character. It has perhaps a dash more hop flavor.

Bud Light and Coors Light taste very similar. I know that they have some differences, but the are som minor I am hard pressed to explain what they are. As I drink, the few differences I thought I had perceived between the two seem to disappear and I am left with my previous hypothesis: this is the same beer, just two different packages.

Mouthfeel:

Bud has a crisp, consistent and above all sharp carbonation that dominates not only this beer's feel, but also its flavor profile. Where one might find the balancing properties of hop bitterness, you will instead find the sharp bite of carbonation. Bursting bubbles slap themselves across your tongue. The finish is dry, weak and incredibly brief.

Coors has almost exactly the same feel, with perhaps a slightly creamier finish.

In my opinion, this over-carbonation prevents the consumer from getting a good handle on the flavor, but perhaps that is the point.

Drinkability:

Both beers are brewed for the same reasons: most American's want a beer with very little flavor and even fewer calories. They want something that is more refreshing than it is enjoyable. Something they can drink that they don't have to think about and they want it cheap. Both Coors Light and Bud Light have given conumers precicily what they asked for and for that they have made a great deal of money for their prospective companies. But what have they done for beer? Well, I'll will give them Born on/Bottled on dating, superior quality control and consistency of product, and they both have incredible distribution networks that smaller breweries rely on (For Example: in Denver, Oskar Blues is distributed by Coors). Of course we all know the harm they do to, but I say keep it up, for as long as Bud and Coors focus on their target market, smaller breweries will have plenty of un-satisfied beer drinkers to profit from.

But alas, I have deviated off topic. I conducted this little experiment to determine which of these beers I prefer to drink. I have failed. I would guess that these beers are 99% the same. The final 1% is so minor, so trivial, that my palate simply cannot provide a preference. More than anything, I find my self utterly confused by those people who exhibit a strong preference for one over the other. Successful marketing I suppose.

In conclusion, if you are looking for cheap lower calorie beer, let's face it, you could do much better for just a few cents more.

BradLikesBrew, Jan 05, 2009
1.78/5  rDev -11.4%

i am going to try and be ojective here but its going to be hard. first, when poured the head quickly faded to zero and left the beer looking like a pale yellow glass of water. almost no smell and taste to it the best thing i can say was it was cold. you want to walk right buy this one at the store. it was left here by my son in law at christmas.

billybob, Jan 05, 2009
1.38/5  rDev -31.3%

Had this over at some friends for dinner last night...it was this or an undated bottle of Loyalhanna Lager that our host thinks may have been 3 or 4 years old. At least the "Bullet" was fresh. First let's look at the beer, brown bottle that at least looks like it should contain beer, neat graphics on the label and the twist off cap is nice. Once the cap is twisted however it's all down hill. The color is pale yellow, almost watery with a head that doesn't wait for the beer to stop being poured, it disappears so fast that one would think there's no carbonation in there. Now the taste and smell, or rather, lacks thereof, they're both so weak and insipid as to be nonexistent. Water has more flavor than this. Okay, I waited for dinner and thought the food would improve it. WRONG. The food completely overpowered it. How the hell does Chicken pot pie overwhelm a beer? Any and all flavor completely vanished like washing your food down with a glass of water. The mouthfeel was thin and watery and for the rest of the evening I switched to pepsi and root beer. Needless to say the drinkability was zero. And if you wonder why I gave it 1.5 on the smell and taste ratings, it's that it isn't awful, just bland and weak.

saradad, Jan 04, 2009
1.68/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

16 oz. pint - $3.25 at Highlands Grill in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, light yellow body with a thin layer of white fizz on top.

Smell: Virtually non-existent beyond a very fine sweetish note of, I'm guessing, deliciousness.

Taste: Sweetish grainy flavor with ultra faint floral hops and meek bitterness that would score a 0.2 IBU. Exceedingly watery throughout. Finishes with the meagerest hints of waterlogged grains.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability: The priciest glass of water I've had in quite awhile.

ChainGangGuy, Dec 30, 2008
1.13/5  rDev -43.8%

"Consistently without eyes to see, those who revel in sewer equally." - Dimmu Borgir

Why not?

Pours a sickly straw color with a white fizzy head. Doesn't look appealing. Constant bubbles coming up from the bottom.

Smells like college. That and acidic Playdoh.

Tastes like hyper-fizzy soda water. Metallic surge with swallow.

How did I used to drink this by the case?

donkeyrunner, Dec 29, 2008
1.23/5  rDev -38.8%

This really is some of the worst beer I've ever had...crispy clear yellow and looks like somthin' that comes out of my body at daily intervals, if you get my drift.

I often wonder how this kind of absolute rubbish gets to be marketed as "beer"... it isn't. It is junk.

I tried some because a friend left some here in my refrigerator. And I ran out of Dogfish Head for tonite. I should've left this Coors alone.

Don't buy this junk, do not even bother. Coors is blasted junk. A positive "don't do..". ? Why oh why do they make this stuff?

Appearance: Pee Yellow.

Mouthfeel: None.

Taste: None.

Body: None.

Quality: Nothing

Hey, have 40-50 of these and your on way to a great headache, that's about all..

Garbage... another example of how The USA fails at making anhything decent except for a few micro brewers who continue to charge like $10.00 / a six pack for a truly good experience.

We are out of shape, people. Beer should cost less than milk, don't You think?

Ah Rubbish, again on the American forefront....

...Bill

superswing123, Dec 19, 2008
2.6/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pilsner.

A: Bright light straw. Heavy carbonation. Pours into a semi frothy, mostly bubbly head, dissipating completely rather quickly. Carbonation stops rising from the bottom of the glass after only a few seconds. No head remains. No lacing.

S: Wheat and light malt with a hint of yeast.

T: Again, lightly malted, with a subtle wheaty-ness.

M: Carbonation. The light malt hangs around for the aftertaste.

D: Light, and thirst quenching.

Not alot in terms of atmosphere or flavor, but drinks easy, and is very light.

bmwats, Dec 16, 2008