Microbrew Invitational

Style: Light Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

Reviews: 1,244 | Ratings: 4,899
2.21/5  rDev +7.8%

Served to me in a bottle for free while playing a show in a small bar. It was either this, Bud Light, or Miller Golden Draft (I have a strong dislike for the other two).

No appearance review, it was kept in the bottle. The smell was like corn grains, straw, and grass.

Watery, mildly carbonated, grainy grassy taste. Mild skunk and easy to swish down the hatch. Very refreshing but really has nothing to offer.

I would probably never buy this beer unless I had no other choice. I'd take it again for free if there was seriously no other good choices (like in this case).

Many, many better light lagers out there (Grain Belt, Rolling Rock, Bud 55, Michelob Ultra). Avoid.

2.2/5  rDev +7.3%

This is a true light beer. Pale straw color with no head or lacing. Boring flavor, adjunct taste, and fizzy soda-like carbonation. That being said, it's probably one of the least offensive macrobrew light beers on the market. It definitely overtakes Busch Light in inoffensiveness. If you're looking for a cheap party beer, choose Coors Light.

Not really much else to say about this beer. It's a light adjunct lager, they're all going to taste like crap. The only way one can be better than the other is being less offensive. The less cooked veggie flavor/smell there is, the better. I think the fact that Coors Light employs rice instead of corn (like Busch and Miller products) is the main factor for it's low level of offensive cooke veggie-ness.

Honestly though, if you're looking for a cheap party beer, go buy Pabst Blue Ribbon or the canned watered down version of Schlitz. They're both cheap adjunct lagers, but they're well done cheap adjunct lagers.

3.22/5  rDev +57.1%

A- A pale clear golden color, slightly watered down look to it.

S- Watery, yet has a good smell.

T- Metal-ish taste, surprisingly smooth.

M- Watered down.

D- Very easy to drink! This is one of my main choices to drink when I'm just sitting at home.

Notes: They're not the strongest beers, but at the same time if you drink a lot of them you don't have to worry about taping out. A lot of the local stores near here serve them from a 6-Pack, up to a 30-Pack. Prices are some what cheep, so by all means, have at it.

What can I say about old faithful...

In a world of beer pong and tailgates where you'll drink a million beers over the course of 5 hours the Silver Bullet is the true King of Beers. It's never ending ability to provide small doses of alcohol in between good beers when you are getting piss yourself drunk is second to none. A little pricey for what you get, it should cost no more than natural ice but we are slaves to ad costs. Whether it is for a beer bong or a keg cup Coors light is the choice of Champions. Just don't think you are going to be savoring the last drops of this one.

3.54/5  rDev +72.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I thoroughly enjoy this beer. In fact, on the weekends this is among my top 3 choices. Its a very flavorful beer that although may be very overpowering for some enthusiasts because its not a very grainy flavor, it is very enjoyable to drink as a 'fun' beer. The silver bullet can is well done as well. The can is tall and thin which makes it nice to hold and the silver with the mountains gives it a cool and chilled look.

This is really the only other beer I like besides Guinness. Not gonna go into flavor we all know what coors is like. I drank 12 of these at the pay lake by myself without getting drunk. Didn't have a hangover either. I give it a 5 because this is my macro beer of choice.

1.63/5  rDev -20.5%

Ok, this is a beer for parties. Cheap and common, fits well among the rest of the macro brews.

Appearance: Looks very pale, as if it was watered down. Has the carbonation of most club sodas.

Smell: Absolutely repulsive. Has a very overwealming sour smell.

Taste: Well, it's cheap beer, it's taste is far from par. Bitter with an aftertaste that leaves you wanting to chug another to kill the aftertaste. When served very cold, it becomes more bearable with the more alcohol in your body.

Mouthfeel: Very thin, like water. The carbonation is a bit overpowering, but subsides quickly.

Drinkability: There are definately better alternatives for the same price, I would drink if offered to me.

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

yellow!no head!hardly any smell,and tastes like water!cant beleive how popular this beer is,must be all the people who want to drink beer but dont really like the taste of beer.dont think i would drink this unless it was the only thing available,although i bet you could drink a case without catching a buzz!

1.62/5  rDev -21%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from can into a pint glass. The can indicated the beer was only "Cold", not "Super Cold". Pours a very clear light yellow with a head that was white and gone in a hurry. The scent was barely anything. There was a faint grain scent but that's all I got. The taste was faintly of corn and grains and after drinking many craft beers, you hardly notice anything that sticks out. The mouthfeel was very carbonated and light. Overall, this isn't a beer for someone looking for a lot of flavor or fullness, just a little alcohol.

3.65/5  rDev +78%

Classic, cheap beer. One of the best party brews. Very drinkable and smooth. Is bitter at times, and is not consistent in its batches. I have multiple times, had skunked beers in the same case as decent coors.

Best way to drink the beer is on tap or keg. Not a beer for those who actually enjoy beer. Best if drank with country music, friends, and a fishing pole.

1.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Appearence- plain see through light yellow with with head.

Smell- just a grassy bland smell. nothing great here.

Taste- water with a shot of beer haha. naw, it is a very light pilsner. but from my point of view its as if you did a yager bomb with a pint of water and a shot glass of beer ha.

MouthFeel- light, no body, slightly crisp, but nothing holds.

Drinkability- eh, its drinkable cuz its so light. like i said earlier its like water.

i always dog my friend for constanly drinking this (i think he likes the moutnains, easily amused dude ha). Not to wax philosophical here, but i tend to think beers like this are popular simply because they are drinkable. one can easily down this without getting full, and if one's intentions are purely to get drunk, i guess this makes sense. but once youve crossed over to the world of craft brew, this one must be left behind and utilized ONLY in the most desperate of situations.

2.01/5  rDev -2%

For what it is, it is refreshing, light, and without any negative attributes. I just would not say that it has any stand out ones either. Very light in color, nominal aroma, water/corn-esque flavor, and does not linger long on the pallet. But those mountains sure were blue!

The beer of my youth. Metallica drank this back when they were broke teenagers therefore I had to drink it too. It's terrible beer but it will get you drunk without draining your wallet.

1.48/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This is a piss pour excuse for a beer. It's like a beer impostor. It pours like urine, tastes like the ghost of a hop, and is about as interesting as watching paint dry. Just don't.

2.44/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very watery. I like it more then miller lite however. Beer gets skunked extremely easily. The light has no mouthfeel and is very thin to the palate. Almost no hop flavor to the nose. Very rarely do I get Coors light because it just doesn't taste good.

Coors diesel is better.

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%

Chugged this out of a can on the way to a Jimmy Buffett concert...that's why it got the 2 for drinkability. Otherwise, it's the same as all the light macros. A little sweet, which is alright and gives it a 1.5 for taste instead of a 1. We've all had one, it's OK.

1.8/5  rDev -12.2%

The only good thing in my book about Coors Light is that it's not Bud Light or Miller Lite. Aside from this though...

As for some more specifics...

A: Its the same color going in as going out...

S: Its best not to, but if you must or do so by mistake it has a tangy metal stale beer sort of hint to it.

T: Its like water, but worse. Pretty unremarkable to bad. Though it does have a somewhat sweet aftertaste that makes drinking it en mass not overly daunting.

M: Its very light and bubbly

D: Why a 3.5? Not because I'd ever willingly want to drink this, but if its a situation where many many beers are going to be consumed then Coors is far from as bad as it gets. Though in a normal situation when enjoyment is a priority, then I'd give it a .5 as I could never get excited about drinking it.

1.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Do you know what Coors Light and sex in a canoe have in common? They are both f**king near water. This is a good beer for people who don't drink beer. An alterative to water on a hot day, but only if served ice cold. My wife used to drink this before she developed an appreciation REAL beer.

1.15/5  rDev -43.9%

There's just nothing to Coors Light. It is more clear than yellow, hardly any head, hardly any real aroma, light corn taste. Mouthfeel is crisp and watery thin. No aftertaste. It's drinkable if you simply want a buzz and it's the only beer around. Otherwise, no thanks.

2.4/5  rDev +17.1%

Ok, to be honest this "beer" is a beer you drink along with several others. Piss to get you pissed. But at 4.2% that's a lot of piss to pour down your throat. I don't drink light beer. I prefer the full flavor. But this is the only light beer I deal with. Curing a headache with one as I type this. There's not much taste. Weak malt, hops, and water. Easy drinking. But mightily refreshing because of the sharp, crisp carbonation. Maybe I'm ok with this beer because I have good memories of crushing countless cans of Coors out by a particular pool over a period of a few days this summer. It grew on me. A little below law mower brew.

2.98/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.5

I came to this websight to check out if there was any info with regards to the making of the mass produced bud,miller,coors light. I found nothing relevant. It is interesting that everyone is comparing the silver bullet to their best pilsners. Give me break, this is a go to beer when it's hotter than hell and I find it to be the best of the three lights. I swear I can taste banana oil, hmmm?

Anyway this is the beer I use to clean my pallet between tasting of my home brew. Kind of like ginger between a sushi roll.

2.61/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

For the longest time I avoided this stuff, I always had it at frat houses and other less than stellar places. It has recently in the past 6 months become one of my favorite adjuncts though and I'll tell you why.

Lets take a second and be honest with ourselves, this beer is not meant to be poured from the can into a glass. I did so for review purposes however and it is a pale yellow color, as almost all adjunct lagers are.
The nose of this beer is very strange, it has a kind of corn / syrupy smell, with no hops detectable what so ever.
The taste of this beer when cold is actually pretty good! It has a very watery almost alka seltzer feel in the mouth, but the taste is light and refreshing with most of the taste being cereal grains. It has more flavor than the weird taste of bud-light. The after taste makes me think of Cheerios.

My overall impression of this beer is this, it is a beer brewed to serve a purpose and I think that it does exactly what it was intended to do. It's not a beer for complex analysis, you won't be drinking this wondering what those hops were or what the malt used was. But it is refreshing and when served cold as recommended it can hit the spot if it's what you were after. It's simple and not offensive, and sometimes that's good enough. Although there are many beers I would consider better I can't say that there's anything inherently wrong with this one.

this is the worst beer product I have ever tasted . This is like beer flavored water . when I open a cooler at a party and see nothing but coors lite I get in my car and go buy real beer. don't understand the mindset of people who drink this shit.

appearance - looks like water with yellow coloring

smell- no discernible smell

taste- horrible

mouthfeel- watery

overall- complete waste of money spend a couple of more bucks and get something that tastes
like beer.

people that drink this shit are clueless.

1.11/5  rDev -45.9%

Coors Light has a very watery taste, with little malt or hop influence. The colour is a very light yellow, and this relates to its light flavour. This beer has so little character, one has to wonder why so many people drink it. It would seem that most drink it to be social, as they feel the need to drink something, and this is the tamest it gets.

3.2/5  rDev +56.1%

First of all, light beers are no good! Coors light has a decent flavor compared to Miller Light and Bud Light. It doesn't pour good and doesn't have a head. Ok, maybe for a few seconds. The taste is sweet, almost fruity, and the hops tickle the tongue. One of the few light beers I can sit and drink all night. Its not that great though, and their are many beers the same price as Coors Light that I could recommend.

Coors Light from Coors Brewing Company