Third Shift Amber Lager - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Vienna Lager |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: gtermi on 12-05-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Third Shift Amber Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 183 | Hads: 1,165
4.57/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very surprised! Very Nice. Not too Hoppy. The rating asks for smell? This doesn't smell like it supposed to. Beer is flavorful and a great texture. (152 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +46.3%

Awesome. This is a really good lager for after a long day at work. The 6 pack is really cheap at $5 and some change. I really like this beer. I will keep this beer in my fridge.I really don't know what else to write because it keeps saying invalid comment length (262 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I'm only guessing that the bad rating on this beer is because it's made by Coors Beer. Look folks, I know the Macrobrews are trying to take over the micro-brew market, but this is a good beer.

And for the record I hate macrobrews. I'm not sayin this is 'my beer', because it's not. But as an off the shelf lager, it's pretty good. Not as good as some, but a lot better than others.

Has a pretty good flavor. Oddly enough the aroma is a bit buttery. I'm not getting any adjuncts from the beer but it is possible the buttery aroma I'm getting could (I stress COULD) be from corn.

Over all I'm giving this lager a 4/5 - it's good. I can't lie.

Now, if you want a beer - go get you a Doghead Fish or a Pliny the Elder. (719 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +35.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured a flawless amber color into a pint glass with a quarter inch head. Nothing offensive about the smell. Nice, crisp and refreshing for an amber. A well-balanced beer with a touch of bitterness, roasted flavor and effervescence. Could become a go-to for an amber fix from here on out. (288 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Many judge this beer just based off the company that it derives from. Too many people have given very little effort to actually enjoy what Coors is trying to do with their release of more "craft" like brews. If you stop and look at the price you'll see that they are bumping things up with the next step of flavors at a very affordable cost for consumers. Kudos to Coors!
At first taste I didn't think it was anything special but I did enjoy the different kick that it offers. It's not a Fat Tire or an Alaskan Amber....but it is it's own flavor. After the second one I tried a couple days later I had no complaints. It's a mild Amber that I guess you could consider universal to any crowd that enjoys trying new things. Doesn't overwhelm the taste buds or leave a pungaent after taste in your mouth. I'll throw my thumbs in the iar for this one. It's gonna catch on. (867 characters)

I am surprised to see that this beer is made by Coors. The label on the bottle does not divulge that information.
The label says, "Band of Brothers Co.", Ft Worth Texas.
Regardless, this beer tastes quite a lot like Coors might taste if it was brewed to a higher gravity and also given more hops.
I won't pretend to taste "stale malt", adjuncts, or any other inferior ingredients. I won't compare it's appearance to urine just because it is a lager that is financed by Coors.
What I taste is thoroughly enjoyable beer that is reminiscient of the amber lagers I had while stationed in Germany.
After having a few of these poured into a glass VS straight from the bottle, I prefer them from the bottle.
In this area there is a very short list of what I would call high quality lagers in the one dollar per bottle range and this beer just earned a spot on that list with me.
Wake up call for "Ale Lovers"...if you don't like lagers, why bother reviewing them..? (962 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +29.1%

Today is 10-19-2013 and this re-review is in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), which had been on a short hiatus following beer having been inadvertently spilled (poured) into my keyboard!

From the CAN: ""Gold Medal Award Winner"; "Brewed By A Band Of Brewers Whose Passion For Brewing Doesn't Stop When The Day Shift Is Over."

I was anxious for a Crack and inverted Glug and so I threw caution to the wind and proceeded! This created a finger of dense, tawny head with decent retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. My my. Nose had a husky, caramel malt quality, not really sweet, per se, but sweetish. I also noted a tang of alcohol underlying the sweetness. Mouthfeel was fuller than I might expect in a lager and the taste was definitely of caramel malt. Even so, it was not overpowering, dialed down so that even a hophead like me could partake of it without going into sugar shock. Finish was semi-sweet, there was just no getting around its inherent sweetness, but I CANnot dun them for it, either. I think that I liked the taste a bit more than my original bottle rating of 3.5, but otherwise, I am going to keep my original bottle review numbers.

Original bottle review dtd 03-10-2013 follows:

I found this in my neighbor's cooler recently and having seen the commercial, I was drawn in by an inherent sense of curiosity. They seem to be doing their utmost to hide the fact that it is a Coors product. Hmmm.

From the bottle: "Gold Medal Winning Beer Brewed By A Band Of Brewers Whose Passion For Brewing Doesn't Stop When The Day Shift Is Over."

First off, what is with all of the CAPS?!? Secondly, Day Shift leads into Second or Swing Shift and Third Shift is the overnight shift. I wonder why they did not know this since the label proudly proclaims "Union Made".

My pour began with two fingers of fluffy, bone-white head that fell as I was typing the above screed. At least there was nice lacing in its wake. Color was a bright amber that had me looking for prehistoric bugs that might have been preserved in it. I kid you not, if I had one of those beer color charts, this would be spot on for "Amber". I am going to guess and place it at 15 degrees Lovibond. Nose had a honey-wheat bread quality which seemed okay to me. I have grown so tired of adjunct-filled lagers that any lager that smells like something other than cobbled together liquid will get my vote. Mouthfeel was big and full, not overly carbonated, but dense. The flavor was quite sweet, caramel and bread bein the prevalent tastes. Finish was semi-sweet, not overly sweet and refreshing. I wish that they would CAN this one as it would be nice on a hot day. (2,688 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a very good Lager. Im not going into details, just leave it to say that the positive things drinkers are saying about it I would say only with a higher rating. This Lager delivers.

Even better its often on sale. Its officially my "sale Lager". Its a great lager with food. (281 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +28.5%

Tasty, well balanced beer with good hops and malt flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty good, very drinkable. Overall, very good for a "mass-market craft beer", a clear step above a macro brew. Good value and worth drinking if you are a fan of malty beers. (246 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Highly disappointed to find out this was a Coors product.

In all fairness this is a very solid, drinkable beer. IMO the low overall ratings are due to the fact that this beer isn't given a chance from the get go due to it being macro brewed. Id bet most all the BA'ers here in a blind taste test would score this much higher actually giving it a chance.

Pours very nice golden amber color.

Hints of mild caramel malt and toastyness

Very Flavorful and Crisp

Great option for the price $6.99 for a 6 pk. (507 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +26.9%

Bought a 6-pack of this at the grocery store liquor store because I noticed it was on sale. Drank from the bottle poured into my beer glass. Tried it both cold, and again when it warmed to room temperature. I really liked the appearance of this one- a rich, golden red. 1/2" head that dissipated very rapidly. Very very light lacing on the glass. The carbonation was decent, but almost too much for my taste. Very light smell- hard to pick it up, but I'd describe it as wheaty with a light caramel apple in the background. Taste was excellent. Very flavorful, but not too strong or overpowering. Malt, grass, citrus, and apple with a very light bitter citrus aftertaste. I actually liked the beer better after it warmed up to room temperature. The taste became much more sweet and defined. I had mixed feelings about this beer before trying it. I had heard good things about it, but wasn't sure how it would be, especially since it's made by Coors. I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed this beer and would definitely drink it again. (1,034 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not watery, has some substance, the drinkability quotient is good if you are wanting to have a few and not just a 1 or 2 high value tasting experience.

I have been looking in vain to find any verification that it is a "gold medal award winner." Not listed among the world beer cup winners of 2012. Also could not find it among the winners at the Great American Beer Festival. Another article I read said it was marketed under code name Flor Hosen and won in German style Marzen category. I looked it up and that name was listed as a winner. Awfully close to false advertising... (580 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

This is now one of my go to beers. It is hard to find. I hope it sticks around. Nice head and lacing. Great color. The Taste is unique with a bitter finish. Some of my Summer Shandy drinking friends don't care for it. Your friends will either like it or hate it! It is affordable ($6.49 a six) but the taste is what makes it enjoyable. (335 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

I thought this was pretty good for Coors. Fuller taste but pretty sweet, bit of chocolate or caramel, with a sweet apricot or date sort of tone. Bit of alcohol and tends to get thin. Inexpensive relatively but a good find in typical convenience stores. (252 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I hate myself for liking this beer - even more because I had it during a blind taste test and I was like Oh yeah this is a pretty good lager.

Then I found out it was a Coors product and I wanted to vomit. Its not that I'm against big corporations because of some misguided pretention - its the principle of what Coors stands and has stood for in the past - as well as its clear intention to aim its product towards a specific demographic (Third Shift - hipsters thinking they're in touch with blue-collar America, yet they can still support craft beer from "Texas")

I'm sorry I don't have a more well-formed argument, but the idea of drinking Coors products disgusts me- even more when they use well-researched marketing and advertisement to get people like me do drink it. Ugh - its a good Lager but I wouldn't put my money towards it. (838 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a deep golden, amber color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a dry lager yeast scent along with a touch of caramel malts for color and malt character. The taste is decent. It has a smooth and easy drinking pilsner and caramel malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes dry. It's nothing spectacular, but it's quite quaffable. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinker and a good go to cheap beer. (523 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +21%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing this as well as Batch 19, another Coors craft beer experiment, together. Poured a light amber with better head retention than Batch 19, lighter color and less viscous looking. The smell is much more subdued; slight caramel and toasted bread, no scent of hops at all. Very easy drinking and smooth taste that follows the nose; subdued caramel, lightly toasted grains, slightly nutty. A barely-there hop presence hides in the backbone. The mouthfeel is medium-thin and the carbonation is appropriate. This beer is very easy to drink and sessionable, but I also see this as the main flaw as this beer just has no "wow factor" to it. I preferred the thicker, rougher, more characterful taste of Batch 19. Easy to drink, tasty, and finely made, this is still not the best example of an American amber lager. Samuel Adams still dominates in that category but Third Shift is worth picking up if the price is right. (Paid 9.99 on sale at Rite-Aid.) (950 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +21%

appearance 4.0
smell 2.5
taste 4.25
mouthfeel 4.0
overall 4.0

Appearance - Other than little to no head and carbonation, which is preferred by us, it is absolute perfect color and consistency when seen in the glass. Don't drink out of bottle.

Smell no outstanding smells, offensive or otherwise. I smell sweeteend beer.

Taste - Perfectly crisp, slightly too sweet for me but not for my wife. Could drink multiples.

Mouth feel - light for a lager - goes down easy - maybe one dimensional, can be gulped.
Overall

Light crisp refreshing, goes down easy. Not imposing. very tasty - would buy again. (603 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains caramelized malts, tea and touches of fruit and hops.

T: The taste starts out with mildly sweet flavors of caramel, tea and honey. Then some breadiness comes in from lager yeast and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. The hops presence is mild but brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it’s a decent sessionable beer but there are other beers in the style that I would choose first. (800 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +20.1%

Third Shift Amber Lager from Coors Brewing Company is the second "plain ol' lager" I've experienced in the craft realm. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew is a rich amber. Mild carbonation&a white head that goes away quickly.

Smell is okay, nothing really there.

The initial taste for me was biscuits&malt with a caramel ,or perhaps even butterscotch. Very smooth&clean. I'm diggin this brew! Even though its a modest 5.2 abv, its a creeper. So don't let the smoothness get to your head like it did mine haha.

Mouthfeel is a little better , it compliments the taste hand in hand. Great job with this!

A triumphant 4 is earned ,in my opinion. I loved the roasted malt taste without unwanted sweetness. I will certainly buy this brew again. It's a great all-occasion, any day of the week type of brew. I'm willing to bet it makes KILLER brats too!! (869 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +20.1%

Bought this after reading a good review at the beer store. Nice amber color. good pour into tall pint glass. Foamed and reduced to thin layer. Carbonation gives it a little bite. not overly hoppy, slight bitter taste. date on the bottom is jul0113. Nice looking can, No where does it say Coors on it. I might have put it back if I known it was a coors product. But after tasting it, I would not say no if I were offered a can. Not a bad beer, I will enjoy finishing the 4 pack and continue on in finding the perfect beer! (521 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I was quite surprised by this one. Even though the smell gave the expectation of a singular type beer; hit had quite the variety flavor. The hops was an appropriate amount while the a hue of sweetness prevailed at the tail end of each drink. I drank half and used the other half to cook into some burgers. As irrelevant as it may be, the beer added a poppy bitterness to the meat once cooked. Overall, I am impressed that a macrobrew made a good a beer as they did. Congrats to Coors for this one. (497 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Third Shift Amber Lager has an extremely thin, white head, which quickly dies away and very little lacing left behind. The appearance is amber and clear, with some streaming bubbles. Aroma is of sweet bread crust and is faint. Taste is of sweet, roasted malt, bread crust, a little bit of caramel, and a light hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is watery, and Third Shift Amber Lager finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and mild. Overall, this is a good beer, and I would think it’s worth trying at least once.

RJT (508 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Third Shift Amber Lager brewed by Coors Brewing Company. This brew pours out a dark amber color with a small white head. I like the color of this brew- not too light, but not too dark. Third shift has a an abv of 5.3. The smell is rich and sweet. There is nothing bad about the smell of this brew. The taste is rich with a hit of sweetness but a bitterness at the end. For being a dark amber brew it is well balanced. No hard after taste at the end. This brew is not overpowering but not underpowering. Third Shift Amber goes down smooth with a little bit of bitterness at the end. Over all I'm giving this brew a 3.75 out of 5. It is not something I would drink everyday but I would get this brew again. (704 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is really great. Huge off white head clear amber color and really dense lacing.
Still had some head at the bottom of my nonic glass. Smell is bready malt with a bit of caramel malt. No hop smell.
Taste is sweet malts with enough herbal hops to balance the taste.
Mouthfeel is medium with enough carbonation. Finish is slightly dry with a balanced finish.
Overall I did not care for the bottled version but this review comes from a 16 ounce can brewed in Ft. Worth (Miller) and it is much better than the bottled version. I hate to say this as a long time union member but the boys in Ft. Worth are brewing some excellent beers. Check out the Fosters Oil cans from the same brewery. Best Fosters ever. The can date Jun 16 2014. Has to be the brewed on date cause this beer was really tasty. (801 characters)

Third Shift Amber Lager from Coors Brewing Company